Religion, Politics and World Events They make great dinner conversation, don't you think? plus Political Film

John McCain on Meet the Press

Old 04-03-06, 07:35 AM
DVD Talk God

John McCain on Meet the Press

Capital News.org

McCain Softens Language on Jerry Falwell

Potential presidential candidate John McCain says he longer considers evangelist Jerry Falwell to be one of the "agents of intolerance" that he criticized during a previous White House run.

The Republican senator from Arizona will be the commencement speaker in May at Liberty University, the Lynchburg, Va., institution that Falwell founded in 1971.

"We agreed to disagree on certain issues, and we agreed to move forward," McCain said Sunday on NBC's "Meet the Press."

In 2000, as he sought the Republican nomination that eventually went to George W. Bush, McCain said: "Neither party should be defined by pandering to the outer reaches of American politics and the agents of intolerance, whether they be Louis Farrakhan or Al Sharpton on the left or Pat Robertson or Jerry Falwell on the right."

On Sunday, McCain said that Christian conservatives have a major role to play in the Republican Party, but added, "I don't have to agree with everything they stand for."

MSNbC

Meet the Press

John McCain on Iran

SEN. McCAIN: The president of Iran went to the United Nations and announced his dedication to the extinction of the state of Israel. The—they are in clear violation of the NPT, which they were signatories to. This is one of the most dangerous challenges we’ve faced since the end of the Cold War. And put yourself in, in the position of the government of the state of Israel: a near neighbor who has announced his—their desire to put you out, into extinction, and they have the capability to do so. This is one—a very serious challenge. And for us to say under no circumstances will we use the military option would be the height of foolishness in my view. And again, I want to applaud the president’s handling of this issue, keeping our European allies with us.

MR. RUSSERT: So we could have two wars at once?

SEN. McCAIN: I think we could have Armageddon. But I think that, that if we handle this right, and our European allies stand with us, and the Russians and the Chinese stand with us, sanctions might do the job. And I am confident that this administration will exhaust every effort before contemplating seriously a military option.

John McCain on Immigration

SEN. McCAIN: Well, the proposal that we have is clearly a very, very tough road to earn citizenship. And most Americans, when you explain to them it requires learn English, back taxes, pay a $2,000 dollar fine, six years working before eligibility, before obtaining a green card, and then as much as five years before obtaining citizenship, they favor that. Particularly when you ask—when, when you say what do you do? How can you send 11 million people back to the country they came from? You’ve got three options: the status quo, which everybody agrees is unacceptable; let them earn citizenship, and I mean earn it; or third of all round them up and send them back. What—so those are your—really the three options. And I think that it’s very important that we handle this issue with sensitivity and humanity. Those thousands of young people, half a million young people you saw demonstrating in Los Angeles were as passionate as they are because they don’t want their parents sent back. Some people have been here 15, 16 and 17 years, Tim, and 97 percent of them are working. But our first priority is to fix our borders. Is to fix our borders...

MR. RUSSERT: There’s going to be Senate...

SEN. McCAIN: ...but it has to be comprehensive. Go ahead.

MR. RUSSERT: There’s going to be a big vote in the Senate. You need at least 18 Republican senators to join with you. Straight talk: Has the president shown the necessary leadership on this issue for you to win your battle?

SEN. McCAIN: First of all, I don’t know if we have the votes. Second of all, I’ve been very pleased with the president’s comments in Mexico and about this issue. He has said earned citizenship, he has come out in favor of a guest worker program. He has highlighted the, the urgency of this issue to America. Eleven million people living in the shadows in this nation. Would I like to see him lead more? Sure, I—but I, I applaud his leadership and I applaud the work that he’s done, and nobody knows more about this issue in Washington than President Bush, having been governor of the state of Texas.

Last edited by classicman2; 04-03-06 at 07:43 AM.
Old 04-03-06, 08:46 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

According to John, European Allies = The UK.
Old 04-03-06, 08:54 AM
DVD Talk God

The much more interesting and telling thing about McCain is that he's come to recognize some political revelation - the Republican base.
Old 04-03-06, 09:01 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by DVD Polizei
According to John, European Allies = The UK.

I wasn't aware the 'UK' now encompassed France, Germany and a great deal of the EU?
Old 04-03-06, 09:08 AM
Admin-Thanos

Originally Posted by classicman2
The much more interesting and telling thing about McCain is that he's come to recognize some political revelation - the Republican base.
So does that make him dangerous in '08?
Old 04-03-06, 09:12 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by VinVega
It makes him a tap-dancer, opportunist, and lacking integrity. So I'd say....
YES.
Old 04-03-06, 09:24 AM
DVD Talk God

recognizing & getting the trust - 2 different things
Old 04-03-06, 10:26 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Oh, McCain has definitely seen the light. Witness his frequent campaign appearances for Republican candidates all across the US -- not to mention his repeated (if lukewarm) support for the Bush Administration and their inane policies. Even when he does cross the aisle and takes the lead on a bipartisan issue (like the official repudiation of torture), he still is willing to play the role of a good politician and compromise his principles to let the White House off the hook.

Frankly, I think the GOP is just playing John McCain. I think he believes that if he acts the part of the good Republican soldier and toes the line, he'll be rewarded in 2008. I can't help but feel that the power core of the GOP still thinks of McCain as being an outsider, a rebel, someone that can't be trusted -- so all of this political pandering on his part is pretty much wasted effort.

Either he wins the nomination outright based on his own broad-based appeal... or he has no chance whatsoever.
Old 04-03-06, 10:37 AM
DVD Talk Hero

i think falwell is a tool and i'm a "conservative Christian"
Old 04-03-06, 10:38 AM
Admin-Thanos

Originally Posted by NCMojo
Either he wins the nomination outright based on his own broad-based appeal... or he has no chance whatsoever.
You might be able to win the general election on broad appeal, but you don't win the primaries that way. You have to get out the hard core party supporters and the Christian Right is a huge block of voters who hold a large say on who the next Republican nominee will be in '08. Whoever gets the Christian Right's support in the '08 primaries will be on the fast track to win the nomination. I don't know if McCain can win these people over. He is pro-life and that's the main thing that they are concerned with, so that helps I think. His past comments may come back to haunt him though. He's primed for some "Swift Boating" by the Republican attack machine.
Old 04-03-06, 10:51 AM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by Venusian
i think falwell is a tool and i'm a "conservative Christian"
Old 04-03-06, 10:52 AM

You might be able to win the general election on broad appeal, but you don't win the primaries that way. You have to get out the hard core party supporters and the Christian Right is a huge block of voters who hold a large say on who the next Republican nominee will be in '08. Whoever gets the Christian Right's support in the '08 primaries will be on the fast track to win the nomination. I don't know if McCain can win these people over. He is pro-life and that's the main thing that they are concerned with, so that helps I think. His past comments may come back to haunt him though. He's primed for some "Swift Boating" by the Republican attack machine.

Nope. There won't be any such truths to come to light. And any of this talk about the power core of the GOP using him or not truly embracing him is simply silly. They are the very people now working for him and donating to him. The writing is on the wall, some just can't, or won't, see it.

By the way, you all see how horrendously Mrs. Clinton and Johnny Edwards have been faring with various focus groups and target demos? I understand Hillary, but Edwards is just awful.
(Where have I heard that before? )
Old 04-03-06, 10:53 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Until recently, I liked the man - but after seeing his equivications and evasions on <i>Meet The Press</i>, he's lost any respect I ever had for him.
Old 04-03-06, 10:55 AM
DVD Talk God

What is McCain's negative rating again among Republicans?

Writing is on the wal - Come on, Pharoh. You know better than that.

If I had to make a wager now as who the GOP nominee will be - I would bet on a certain junior Senator from the State of Virginia.
Old 04-03-06, 11:02 AM
Admin-Thanos

Originally Posted by Pharoh
By the way, you all see how horrendously Mrs. Clinton and Johnny Edwards have been faring with various focus groups and target demos? I understand Hillary, but Edwards is just awful.
(Where have I heard that before? )
I don't understand your point. Is it that despite poor polling, that Hillary will win the nomination, or is it that she won't win the nomination?
Old 04-03-06, 11:04 AM
Admin-Thanos

Nope. There won't be any such truths to come to light. And any of this talk about the power core of the GOP using him or not truly embracing him is simply silly. They are the very people now working for him and donating to him. The writing is on the wall, some just can't, or won't, see it.
You don't think that there are more attractive candidates to the Christian Right than McCain?
Old 04-03-06, 11:13 AM

I don't understand your point. Is it that despite poor polling, that Hillary will win the nomination, or is it that she won't win the nomination?

She will have a much tougher time winning the nomination than many suspect. She has no where to go but down.
Old 04-03-06, 11:16 AM

You don't think that there are more attractive candidates to the Christian Right than McCain?

That can do all of the other things necessary to win the general election? I am starting to seriously doubt that.

The only other candidate who may be, winnable and liked, is the Senator from Virginia mentioned by C-Man. Granted, much can change between now and 2008, but it appears to be shaping up as two man race, at least for the organisation and monies.
Old 04-03-06, 11:21 AM
Admin-Thanos

She will have a much tougher time winning the nomination than many suspect. She has no where to go but down.
Don't tease me.

I do challenge your statement with the money factor. Who else has control of the fundraising like Hillary does? Is there that much money up for grabs by '08?
Old 04-03-06, 11:38 AM

Don't tease me.

I do challenge your statement with the money factor. Who else has control of the fundraising like Hillary does? Is there that much money up for grabs by '08?

Oh, I don't disagree about the money, especially considering who Dr. Dean's new best buddy is. It's just that the more people hear or see her up close, the more she stumps and does 'town halls' the more people come away unimpressed. It's as if many Democratic voters attribute to her all of the characteristics they envision in their ideal candidate but when they see her up close they are disappointed. She can't be all of those things, and frankly she isn't really that good.
Old 04-03-06, 11:55 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Oh, I see it too. The power players in the smokey back room are gunning for a McCain/Clinton race. Blech.

Many people on Free Republic love George Allen. Meh, nothing I've been too terribly impressed with yet.

I like Mike Pence, a lot.

BTW, here's the Presidential March Madness results.
Old 04-03-06, 12:05 PM

That's beautiful.
Old 04-03-06, 12:29 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I love that McCain & Frist didn't even make it out of the gate
Old 04-03-06, 12:35 PM
bhk
DVD Talk Legend

McPain is just being McPain, but now that he's not pissing off republicans, people don't respect him anymore?
Old 04-03-06, 12:56 PM
Admin-Thanos

Originally Posted by bhk
McPain is just being McPain, but now that he's not pissing off republicans, people don't respect him anymore?
He's the one Republican (of available contenders) if elected that I could live with.

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.