Religion, Politics and World Events They make great dinner conversation, don't you think? plus Political Film

McKinney may be arrested for assaulting an officer

Old 03-31-06, 06:43 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Bartertown due to it having a better economy than where I really live, Buffalo NY
McKinney may be arrested for assaulting an officer

http://www.news4jax.com/news4georgia...38/detail.html
Congresswoman: 'Inapropriate Touching' Provoked Police Scuffle

POSTED: 10:13 am EST March 31, 2006
UPDATED: 6:50 pm EST March 31, 2006

CAPITOL HILL -- Six-term Rep. Cynthia McKinney was still unsure late Friday if she would be charged for apparently striking a Capitol police officer.

But at a news conference, the Georgia Democrat said the matter was "instigated by the inapropriate touching and stopping of me, a female, black congresswoman."

Earlier in the day, her lawyer said she was "just a victim of being in Congress while black."

Attorney James Myart said that McKinney was a "victim of excessive use of force" because "of how she looks and the color of her skin."

WSB-TV in Atlanta reported that the officer didn't recognize her on Wednesday and tried to stop her from entering a House office building without first going through a metal detector.

Officials have said McKinney didn't stop and hit the officer after he placed a hand on her.

Members of Congress wear identifying lapel pins and routinely are waved into buildings without undergoing security checks. The officer apparently did not recognize McKinney, she said in a statement.

McKinney canceled a news conference that she had scheduled for Friday morning to discuss the incident.

She issued a statement Thursday saying she "deeply regrets" the confrontation with the police officer.

"I know that Capitol Hill Police are securing our safety, and I appreciate the work that they do. I have demonstrated my support for them in the past and I continue to support them now," she said in the statement on her Web site.

Charges could range from assault on a police officer, which is a felony carrying a possible five-year prison term, to simple assault, which is a misdemeanor.

Asked on-camera Thursday by WSB-TV whether she intended to apologize, McKinney refused to comment.

The confrontation sparked a rhetorical skirmish between House Republicans and Democrats.

Democratic leader Nancy Pelosi called the incident "a mistake, an unfortunate lack of recognition of a member of Congress" and no fault of the officer.

A spokesman for House Speaker Dennis Hastert of Illinois, responded by asking, "How many officers would have to be punched before it becomes a big deal?"
Old 03-31-06, 06:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

But at a news conference, the Georgia Democrat said the matter was "instigated by the inapropriate touching and stopping of me, a female, black congresswoman."
Who gives a shit if you're a female or black. Get over it. You want equality? Then stop separating yourself with adjectives.
Old 03-31-06, 06:56 PM
DVD Talk Ruler

She's so full of crap. People that saw the incident say she got mad when the guard wouldn't wave her in and tried to walk in and he put his hand on her to restrain her (which is otherwise known as a guard DOING HIS JOB). She got mad and slapped him.

Inappropriate touching

Too bad he didn't have his taser.
Old 03-31-06, 07:09 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Earlier in the day, her lawyer said she was "just a victim of being in Congress while black."

she has a good lawyer
Old 03-31-06, 07:41 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

The lady wants to be treated like she's still a slave, then I say we treat her like one.
Old 03-31-06, 07:44 PM
DVD Talk God

Members of the House don't have to go through the metal detectors.

The last I heard - Ms. McKinney is a member of congress.
Old 03-31-06, 07:51 PM
Banned

How many are members are in the House? You don't expect all security officers to recognize all of them now do you?
Old 03-31-06, 07:52 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by classicman2
Members of the House don't have to go through the metal detectors.

The last I heard - Ms. McKinney is a member of congress.
So obviously the appropriate response is striking a security guard if that protocol is accidentally breached.
Old 03-31-06, 07:53 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by Myster X
How many are members are in the House? You don't expect all security officers to recognize all of them now do you?

There are 435 members of the House. Yes!
Old 03-31-06, 07:55 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I've seen Capitol security recognize a House member years after they left office.

To C-man-

Despite that, being a member doesn't excuse her behavior. Yes, it's true that House members don't have to go through metal detectors, however in the course of dealing with a misunderstanding over the issue they aren't allowed to assault people.

Last edited by uberjoe; 03-31-06 at 07:59 PM.
Old 03-31-06, 07:58 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by uberjoe
I've seen Capitol security recognize a House member years after they left
office.

To C-man-

Despite that, being a member doesn't excuse her behavior. Yes, it's true that House members don't have to go through metal detectors, however in the course of dealing with a misunderstanding over the issue they aren't allowed to assault people.
No, she most assuredly should have assaulted him.

But, he should have recognized her. I wonder if did.

shouldn't correction

Last edited by classicman2; 04-01-06 at 06:08 AM.
Old 03-31-06, 08:31 PM
X
Administrator

Originally Posted by classicman2
No, she most assuredly should have assaulted him.

But, he should have recognized her. I wonder if did.
What?

Old 03-31-06, 08:47 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by uberjoe
I've seen Capitol security recognize a House member years after they left office.

To C-man-

435 house members, 100 senators and then all the staff that walks through there. there is no way they can remember every elected official.
Old 03-31-06, 08:56 PM
X
Administrator

Originally Posted by al_bundy
435 house members, 100 senators and then all the staff that walks through there. there is no way they can remember every elected official.
I disagree. If you watch all 535 even only on C-Span and all the other talking heads programs you can probably recognize every one of them if you get a good enough look at them. But I don't know the exact circumstances of this and how trained the guards are to recognize people from the back who didn't have their ID pin on when you were looking for that when you saw them from the front.
Old 03-31-06, 08:59 PM
DVD Talk Hero

next time they will make the police officers practice with congress flash cards to make sure they remember all of them
Old 03-31-06, 09:01 PM
X
Administrator

along with views from their back
Old 03-31-06, 09:22 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by al_bundy
Knowing faces and names is part of their job. They are supposed to study and remember them. The Congressional pins are meant as back-ups if for some reason a security guard doesn't recognize someone. I know it sounds hard -- but it's true.
Old 03-31-06, 09:26 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Chris Matthews said on his show when he was a Capitol cop, they memorized faces from photos.
Old 03-31-06, 09:36 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I can't say I blame her. I bet the Capitol police have never inapropriately touched a male congresswoman.
Old 03-31-06, 09:38 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Keep in mind, she was a 6-term member of Congress. It wasn't like she just fell off the turnip truck.
Old 03-31-06, 09:43 PM

Originally Posted by CRM114
Keep in mind, she was a 6-term member of Congress. It wasn't like she just fell off the turnip truck.

And that excuses her for assulting a police officer?
Old 03-31-06, 09:47 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Binger
And that excuses her for assulting a police officer?
Obviously not, just pointing out that there appears to be, based on several posts, an established protocol between house members and security. The security is to memorize the faces and defer to their status. Thats just the way it is...
Old 03-31-06, 09:52 PM

Originally Posted by CRM114
Obviously not, just pointing out that there appears to be, based on several posts, an established protocol between house members and security. The security is to memorize the faces and defer to their status. Thats just the way it is...

Maybe, but I don't care what reason she was stopped. The cop didn't break the law, she did, and she needs to take her lumps like anyone else.
Old 03-31-06, 09:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

This person must be charged to the full extent of the law.

I say just give her a reasonable fine - maybe $75,000.
Old 03-31-06, 09:56 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Binger
Maybe, but I don't care what reason she was stopped. The cop didn't break the law, she did, and she needs to take her lumps like anyone else.
I don't disagree.

But I think a public and personal apology would suffice.

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.