Release List Reviews Shop Join News DVD Giveaways Video Games Advertise
DVD Reviews | Theatrical Reviews | Price Search Buy Stuff Here
DVD Talk
DVD Reviews DVD Talk Headlines HD Reviews

Add to My Yahoo! - RSS 2.0 - RSS 2.0 - DVD Talk Podcast RSS -

Go Back   DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk > Religion, Politics and World Events

Religion, Politics and World Events They make great dinner conversation, don't you think? plus Political Film

Old 09-05-06, 02:52 PM   #51
Admin-Self Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by grundle
How many strikes do I have so far?
How many times have you been politically exiled?

www.endgerrymandering.com
Gerrymandering in the US
Old 09-05-06, 03:01 PM   #52
Admin-Self Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by DVD Polizei
Also, if I'm offending people, I need to know that--other than from the mods. I don't like people notifying mods of every single damn post I make, and then I hear about it from the back-end. I'd appreciate either the mods being more elaborate in their reasons for citing me for political misconduct (seems like a redundant term but anyway) and mentioning who exactly doesn't like my posting (because it would explain a lot) and they should be discussing the matter with my directly.
The problem with the "you've offended me" post within a thread is that the dialog will go as follows:

Poster1: "Well I think blah blah blah..."
Poster2: "That's incredibly offensive."
Poster1: "Suck it. If you don't like it, stay out of this thread! "

By keeping things anonymous with the "Report this post to the mods" function, it keeps the thread from getting overly heated and possibly getting locked and it allows the mods to take a closer look at the thread and the comments within.

Gerrymandering in the US
Old 09-05-06, 03:02 PM   #53
Admin-Self Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vandelay_Inds
I once ate a really big pizza all by myself. Does that count?
YES! One strike for Vandelay.

Gerrymandering in the US
Old 09-05-06, 03:03 PM   #54
DVD Talk Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by DVD Polizei
You can have one of mine. Actually, two if you're interested.

I think mosquitobite said a few things which need to be applied more. For example, she mentions if newbie political arguees come into the forum, they should be a little more tough-skinned. I agree with that. She also mentions that political discourse gets heated sometimes. Of course it does.

Also, if I'm offending people, I need to know that--other than from the mods. I don't like people notifying mods of every single damn post I make, and then I hear about it from the back-end. I'd appreciate either the mods being more elaborate in their reasons for citing me for political misconduct (seems like a redundant term but anyway) and mentioning who exactly doesn't like my posting (because it would explain a lot) and they should be discussing the matter with my directly.

For the record, I've complained about no one. If I get out-witted in a post or lose an argument outright, I leave. But I think others would rather "report" a post and get back at a person that way, than confronting the person directly with better pros. The more reporting that goes on, the more the person lacks pros and arguing skills. IMO. All you'll have left in the politics forum, is a bunch of tattle tales.

And I think the 3 strikes rule is awkward for veteran posters, because I post in here A LOT. And so do a few others. We should have something like a monthly strike thing and your banned for a month. But not permanently. Because this isn't like Other where you rarely confront people. In here, it's all the time.
To me, this sounds like, "I've been getting in trouble a lot. Can we change the rules so I don't get banned?"

Have you even ever been Politically Exiled? I don't remember you being given that honor, but I could have missed it.
Old 09-05-06, 03:06 PM   #55
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by VinVega
How many times have you been politically exiled?

None that I am aware of.
Old 09-05-06, 03:09 PM   #56
Admin-Self Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by grundle
None that I am aware of.
There you go. No strikes for you.

Gerrymandering in the US
Old 09-05-06, 03:12 PM   #57
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
NO STRIKES FOR YOU.

The Official Cabinet
Old 09-05-06, 03:13 PM   #58
Admin-Self Banned

That VinVega, he really is a Soup Nazi.

Gerrymandering in the US
Old 09-05-06, 03:20 PM   #59
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

While certainly newbies should be somewhat tough skinned to start with, there's a fine line between being toughskinned, taking abuse, and perceiving people bitchslapping each other--and the newbie--and leaving, either the subforum or the forum as a whole. I don't think people need to tiptoe around so as to avoid hurting their feelings, but there's no sense scaring them away, either [unless we don't want new members?]. That's my thinking on the 'let legacy members get away with more', as well-there's 'personal styles' then there's 'inside jokes/references', and if people rely too much on the latter, it becomes a closed club to newbies, or even semi-lurkers [I'll admit, though I can tell with some posters, I miss some as well, and I'm not a newbie]. Again, if that's what's desired, a closed-club, fine, but one thing that has appealed to me about DVDtalk since the beginning is an open-arms type policy [obvious exceptions notwithstanding, such as when the new members are spammers or trolls].

We've seen examples of what Vin says, and the tone of this thread, even, approaches that ["if the newbies can't handle it, they shouldn't be reading Poli".] I also support keeping it anonymous--just because someone reports a post, doesn't mean the poster is automatically sanctioned [I wouldn't think]. And the lack of anonymity would either cause posts that do deserve sanctioning, to go unreported, or there might be some retribution on the report-er.

I think lots of people do debate/discuss, either until they have nothing more to say that's relevant, or until the discussion just naturally winds down. But some keep it going by randomly tossing a 'flame' back on the fire, and do not respond in kind to a well-thought out response. I'd rather that person submit an anonymous, off-thread "Report" than waste his time and mine with "Yeah, well you suck too" type posts. Do the mods keep track of who reports, in addition to who is reported? Maybe there is, or should be, a 'cry wolf' sanction, where if the same person reports X posts in a row, falsely, *he* gets the boot [no offense to any of X's posts].

Political debates can--and should--get 'heated'. That's not a bad thing, that can mean people care passionately about the topic. But they don't have to devolve into arguments, insults, and mass negative stereotypes. Not to be a flowers-and-bunnies type person, but I think almost every post in a Poli thread should add something positive to that thread--not 'positive' in outlook, but positive in that its presence adds something that wasn't there before, either new facts, new logic, or a new way of looking at the topic. "You're just saying that because you're one of those *blanks*", for example, would not meet that criteria.

Last edited by dtcarson; 09-05-06 at 03:28 PM.
Old 09-05-06, 03:52 PM   #60
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
There you go. No strikes for you.
Thanks for answering!
Old 09-05-06, 07:32 PM   #61
Admin-Self Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtcarson
Do the mods keep track of who reports, in addition to who is reported? Maybe there is, or should be, a 'cry wolf' sanction, where if the same person reports X posts in a row, falsely, *he* gets the boot [no offense to any of X's posts].
We don't keep a statistical report on who uses the "Report to" function and who doesn't and how many times they do it. Just from watching the emails flow in, you notice some people use the function more than others and that's fine. There's no cry wolf policy, but moderating is not an exact science (yeah yeah, that's my line and I'm sticking with it ), so we can't guarantee that we'll agree with your call on a "report to" click. I will guarantee that we will look at the post and thread in question and judge whether action should be taken or not.

Gerrymandering in the US
Old 12-01-07, 04:55 PM   #62
DVD Talk Legend

is this 'rule' still in effect? I noticed a recent banning which appeared uncalled for, aside from the fact that I thought the poster was spot on. Perhaps I missed something.
Old 12-01-07, 08:32 PM   #63
X
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by dick_grayson
is this 'rule' still in effect? I noticed a recent banning which appeared uncalled for, aside from the fact that I thought the poster was spot on. Perhaps I missed something.
You may have missed the half dozen times he's been banned before over the years. We did too for a while.
Old 12-01-07, 09:11 PM   #64

Quote:
Originally Posted by dick_grayson
I must've missed it too, wonder what the specific thing he did was wrong? I'd hate to do the same thing!

I've never had even a warning, but don't want to do anything wrong!!
Old 12-01-07, 09:17 PM   #65
X
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimJS
I must've missed it too, wonder what the specific thing he did was wrong?
Returning after being banned is a specific thing that is wrong and just gets you banned again.
Old 02-22-13, 07:01 AM   #66
Banned

Re: xxx The Political Forum Three Strikes Rule xxx

Many of the items in the first post of this thread are arbitrary. After all, is there any objective meaning to words like "trolling" or "thread-crapping"? Where is the standard for being "overly aggressive" toward other members? Is it when they mock you and cuss you out, or post malicious remarks in an attempt to slam you down? At what point does generalization become too much as well?

It seems to me that an applicable translation would be, "say what you want, just don't offend people for any reason". To me, that's the definition of political correctness, and it sucks.
Old 09-09-13, 02:03 PM   #67
DVD Talk Special Edition

You wanting objective definitions is about the most laughable thing to come out of your mouth.
Old 10-10-14, 04:32 PM   #68
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Can I still post that all religious views are silly if I don't single out one particular religion?