Release List Reviews Shop Join News DVD Giveaways Video Games Advertise
DVD Reviews | Theatrical Reviews | Price Search Buy Stuff Here
DVD Talk
DVD Reviews DVD Talk Headlines HD Reviews

Add to My Yahoo! - RSS 2.0 - RSS 2.0 - DVD Talk Podcast RSS -

Go Back   DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk > Religion, Politics and World Events

Religion, Politics and World Events They make great dinner conversation, don't you think? plus Political Film

Old 04-03-06, 07:31 AM   #26
Admin-Self Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhk
This is getting too confusing.
I agree.

One person's thread crap is another person's witty or funny remark.

All it takes is one person out of 20 participating in the thread and then administrative action is taken against a poster. As unfair as this sounds, I think a little leeway should be given to veteran posters. People who frequent this board know people's posting styles and some new yahoo who doesn't, might report a post and then a veteran gets suspended or banend when he/she did not offend anyone but a rookie who might not be offended if they had been here for a year or more. It's complicated.

www.endgerrymandering.com
Gerrymandering in the US
Old 04-03-06, 09:21 AM   #27
DVD Talk Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by VinVega
As unfair as this sounds, I think a little leeway should be given to veteran posters.
I feel very strongly that this should not happen. Either these new rules are enforced impartially or you may as well throw them out. What many people have been complaining about is this very fact, that people that have been posting here for a long time get away with things that newcomers wouldn't.

If you want an unmoderated free-for-all flamefest, there are lots of boards that will happily provide you with this.
Old 04-03-06, 11:41 AM   #28
Admin-Self Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by TracerBullet
I feel very strongly that this should not happen. Either these new rules are enforced impartially or you may as well throw them out. What many people have been complaining about is this very fact, that people that have been posting here for a long time get away with things that newcomers wouldn't.

If you want an unmoderated free-for-all flamefest, there are lots of boards that will happily provide you with this.
There is consideration given now for veteran posters. If you think that's not the case, there are several who I can think of that should have been kicked a while ago, given a strict interpretation of the rules. I'm glad that they weren't though because they are also some of the best contributors to the forum.

Personally, I think the mods here do a great job at filtering what is proabably a lot of "report this post to the moderator" requests that most of us never see. I don't see where you got that I want total anarchy at the site from my previous statement. While I don't necessarily agree with the written law of "3 strikes and you're out," I think that's probably the unwritten rule that's existed for a long time and not completely unreasonable.

Gerrymandering in the US
Old 04-03-06, 11:46 AM   #29
DVD Talk Limited Edition

As usual, I love Vin. Well said

I also would rather it be veterans, or actual contributors to the forum be the ones who's "report this post" have more weight.

If you're a newb, or a lurker and you get your feelings hurt reading something - either post or maybe leave the kitchen.

I'm not saying there should be a free for all either, and I agree with getting rid of generalizations.
Old 04-03-06, 11:55 AM   #30
X
Administrator

There will be no special consideration for veteran posters. Some of them are creating the hostile atmosphere we are trying to eliminate and they are subject to the same rules as everyone else.

Veteran posters do have the advantage of being able to say something that taken by itself would seem actionable, but due to their posting history we understand the benign spirit it is meant in. But by the same token we also know some of their patterns of hostile posting and we won't misinterpret another one of those posts that are contrary to the rules stated in this thread when we see it.
Old 04-03-06, 11:56 AM   #31
DVD Talk Hero

Quote:
There is consideration given now for veteran posters. If you think that's not the case, there are several who I can think of that should have been kicked a while ago, given a strict interpretation of the rules. I'm glad that they weren't though because they are also some of the best contributors to the forum.

Personally, I think the mods here do a great job at filtering what is proabably a lot of "report this post to the moderator" requests that most of us never see. I don't see where you got that I want total anarchy at the site from my previous statement. While I don't necessarily agree with the written law of "3 strikes and you're out," I think that's probably the unwritten rule that's existed for a long time and not completely unreasonable.
I don't think we're necessarily disagreeing, nor I do not see that veteran posters get some leeway. However, I think most of the frustration stemmed from the fact that repeated violations from some veteran posters were getting slap on the wrist after slap on the wrist. At least now there's a codifed rule to deal with that sort of stuff. Whether or not it's actually enforced...
Old 04-03-06, 12:06 PM   #32
Admin-Self Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by TracerBullet
I don't think we're necessarily disagreeing, nor I do not see that veteran posters get some leeway. However, I think most of the frustration stemmed from the fact that repeated violations from some veteran posters were getting slap on the wrist after slap on the wrist. At least now there's a codifed rule to deal with that sort of stuff. Whether or not it's actually enforced...
Well, from whatever angle it's pushed, be it by the posters not adhering or the mods heavily enforcing, I really hope we don't see a slew of bannings. That more than any current perceived atmosphere will end a lot of people's participation in this forum.

Gerrymandering in the US
Old 04-03-06, 12:11 PM   #33
X
Administrator

Quote:
Well, from whatever angle it's pushed, be it by the posters not adhering or the mods heavily enforcing, I really hope we don't see a slew of bannings. That more than any current perceived atmosphere will end a lot of people's participation in this forum.
Primarily due to consideration for veteran posters we are not banning. We're banishing from this forum for one week for their first two infractions but they are still free to post in all our other forums.

If they can't learn by then and continue their hostile/generalized attack/crapping posts it will be evident that they can't conform to the environment we want to foster here and they'll be permanently booted out of this forum but still be able to post in all the others.
Old 04-03-06, 12:16 PM   #34
Admin-Self Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by X
Primarily due to consideration for veteran posters we are not banning. We're banishing from this forum for one week for their first two infractions but they are still free to post in all our other forums.

If they can't learn by then and continue their hostile/generalized attack/crapping posts it will be evident that they can't conform to the environment we want to foster here and they'll be permanently booted out of this forum but still be able to post in all the others.
Sorry. I did read that and should have qualified my statements. I was referring to the political fourm specifically.

Gerrymandering in the US
Old 04-03-06, 01:35 PM   #35
DVD Talk Ruler

So will a users location be changed to "Banished"? I'm just wondering so if they don't respond anymore in a thread we have some idea as to why.
Old 04-03-06, 02:59 PM   #36
X
Administrator

Their title will be Political Exile during the first two banishments.
Old 04-03-06, 03:03 PM   #37
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Can we send McCain there too?
Old 04-03-06, 03:28 PM   #38
DVD Talk Hero

Whatever happened the Ignore list feature? Geez, seems to be a lot of hand-wringing over nothing.

If its not love then its the bomb that will bring us together.
Old 04-03-06, 03:49 PM   #39
bhk
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Whatever happened the Ignore list feature? Geez, seems to be a lot of hand-wringing over nothing.
Agreed.
I've agreed with CRM twice this week, I'll check tomorrow if the sun is rising from the west.

Hussein Massawi, the former leader of Hezbollah
Old 04-03-06, 04:33 PM   #40
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRM114
*passes out* Skeet agrees with CRM.

Look, if it's a lot of work to moderate because people hit the "report post" button - is it one or two people in particular who "tattle"? Can you just stop them from seeing the forum? If it's not a direct personal attack on a PERSON (not a party) then people should just let it roll off their backs.

Seems to me it takes a certain kind of poster who WANTS to post in the political forum, and those people are usually opinionated, thick skinned people

If someone is posting in here and getting their feelings hurt often by generalizations, maybe they need to go to DU or Free Republic where everyone can pat them on the head and agree with them all the time.

There ARE generalizations in politics. For example I don't care that someone might call conservatives heartless. (It's better than being compassionate )

When you have a politics board, it will get heated at times. People need to learn to put their big girl panties on before they come in.
Old 04-03-06, 04:36 PM   #41
bhk
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
When you have a politics board, it will get heated at times. People need to learn to put their big girl panties on before they come in.
Attack on fat people, post reported.

Hussein Massawi, the former leader of Hezbollah
Old 04-03-06, 04:50 PM   #42
Retired

The rules seem more than reasonable to me. They don't seem like they will stifle debate at all. They will just require debate to be intelligent, and not allow the things that plague this forum like people just insulting the poster, repeatedly posting flame bait that is just bashing the opposing party and not really relevent to the discussion, just posting stupid one liners instead of actually responding to the issue at hand etc.

Hopefully all the regulars who sometimes make these kind of posts will learn their lesson and change their ways and actually start post thoughtful and insightful comments in threads so we can have a higher level of actual intelligent, informed debate instead of the typical bipartisan mudslinging.
Old 04-03-06, 05:18 PM   #43
DVD Talk Ruler

Quote:
Originally Posted by mosquitobite
*passes out* Skeet agrees with CRM.
What did CRM post? I have him on ignore. Just kiddin'

I agree with CRM as well. Been happening more and more lately. I fear some sort of time space continuum collapse is emminent! (but the whole global warming thing is still crap).

Last edited by General Zod; 04-03-06 at 05:32 PM.
Old 04-03-06, 05:40 PM   #44
DVD Talk God

• Forget this topic, pilot has no idea what he is doing.
  • AND HE PISSES ME OFF!!!!!!
  • But it isn't just him, it's all the mods in general.
  • I repeat...it isn't just him, it's all the mods in general
  • Nice post op

Okay, good idea.
“The illegality of cannabis is outrageous, an impediment to full utilization of a drug which helps produce the serenity and insight, sensitivity and fellowship so desperately needed in this increasingly mad and dangerous world.”

― Carl Sagan
Old 04-03-06, 06:01 PM   #45
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by X
Their title will be Political Exile during the first two banishments.
I see you guys've already provided an example.
Old 04-03-06, 07:21 PM   #46
Retired

And good use of the rule as well.

I think some are over-reacting, as I imagine the exile rule will only be used for extreme violations like that post, and I think all would agree that post added nothing to the thread and the forum will be better off without that type of crap.
Old 04-05-06, 01:38 AM   #47
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by eXcentris
"Analysis" is fine, silly one-liners which only contain generalizations are not. It's these types of hit and run posts where a poster expresses "absolute certainties" (aka silly gross generalizations) that get on my (and most people's) nerves.
"silly gross generalizations" are the main problem.

Old 06-23-06, 08:06 AM   #48
DVD Talk Godfather

Thread title misleading. I see no "sticky xxx"...

“OK. You got me. Your real world example proves that I was wrong.” – grundle
Old 09-05-06, 02:10 PM   #49
DVD Talk Legend

How many strikes do I have so far?
Old 09-05-06, 02:39 PM   #50
DVD Talk Hero

You can have one of mine. Actually, two if you're interested.

I think mosquitobite said a few things which need to be applied more. For example, she mentions if newbie political arguees come into the forum, they should be a little more tough-skinned. I agree with that. She also mentions that political discourse gets heated sometimes. Of course it does.

Also, if I'm offending people, I need to know that--other than from the mods. I don't like people notifying mods of every single damn post I make, and then I hear about it from the back-end. I'd appreciate either the mods being more elaborate in their reasons for citing me for political misconduct (seems like a redundant term but anyway) and mentioning who exactly doesn't like my posting (because it would explain a lot) and they should be discussing the matter with my directly.

For the record, I've complained about no one. If I get out-witted in a post or lose an argument outright, I leave. But I think others would rather "report" a post and get back at a person that way, than confronting the person directly with better pros. The more reporting that goes on, the more the person lacks pros and arguing skills. IMO. All you'll have left in the politics forum, is a bunch of tattle tales.

And I think the 3 strikes rule is awkward for veteran posters, because I post in here A LOT. And so do a few others. We should have something like a monthly strike thing and your banned for a month. But not permanently. Because this isn't like Other where you rarely confront people. In here, it's all the time.

"I don't sell airplane parts. I've never sold airplane parts."

Last edited by DVD Polizei; 09-05-06 at 02:44 PM.