Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk > Religion, Politics and World Events
Reload this Page >

Unions hurting environment? Plumber's Union Raises Stink About Waterless Urinals...

Religion, Politics and World Events They make great dinner conversation, don't you think? plus Political Film

Unions hurting environment? Plumber's Union Raises Stink About Waterless Urinals...

Old 03-30-06, 03:53 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Unions hurting environment?

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20060330/...unions_urinals

Philly Plumbers Upset by Waterless Urinals

By DEBORAH YAO, Associated Press Writer 2 hours, 44 minutes ago

PHILADELPHIA - This city's hoped-for bragging rights as home of America's tallest environmentally friendly building could go down the toilet.
ADVERTISEMENT

In a city where organized labor is a force to be reckoned with, the plumbers union has been raising a stink about a developer's plans to install 116 waterless, no-flush urinals in what will be Philadelphia's biggest skyscraper.

Developer Liberty Property Trust says the urinals would save 1.6 million gallons of water a year at the 57-story Comcast Center, expected to open next year.

But the union put out the word it doesn't like the idea of waterless urinals fewer pipes mean less work.

The city's licensing department, whose approval is needed for waterless urinals, has not yet rendered a decision.

The mayor's office has stepped in to try to save the urinals, which use a cartridge at the base to trap odors and sediment as waste passes through.

It is telling the plumbers that the city's building boom will provide plenty of work for them and that even waterless urinal systems need some plumbing connections, said Stephanie Naidoff, city commerce director.

Philadelphia's unions have periodically put the city in a difficult spot.

For years, convention groups were canceling bookings at the Pennsylvania Convention Center because of difficulties working with six unions. New rules were established in 2003 to allow convention groups to deal instead with a middleman, a labor supplier. A few months later, the electricians union temporarily shut off power and picketed the center in a dispute with the supplier.

In 2004, the MTV reality show "The Real World" briefly pulled up stakes after union workers, in a dispute over hiring practices, picketed the house the cast was to live in. The show's producers and labor leaders eventually negotiated a deal to bring the show back.

Edward Keenan, the business manager of Plumbers Union Local 690, did not return calls for comment. Liberty Property Trust said only that it is "currently engaged in an administrative process with the city to obtain the necessary approvals."

Waterless urinals were introduced in the early 1990s. Thousands are in use around the country, including such places as the San Diego Zoo, Walt Disney World and the Rose Bowl.

It still requires pipes. I don't think we should trade "progress" for jobs.
Old 03-30-06, 03:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Venusian
I don't think we should trade "progress" for jobs.
The president of the Buggy Whip Local 832 agrees wholeheartedly.
Old 03-30-06, 04:00 PM
DVD Talk Hero

maybe that sentence came out wrong. i think we should have progress. I don't think we should give up progress just to keep jobs.
Old 03-30-06, 06:08 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Bartertown due to it having a better economy than where I really live, Buffalo NY
I don't think a waterless urinal would smell very good
Old 03-30-06, 06:24 PM
DVD Talk God

classicman says this is a management problem.
Old 03-30-06, 06:28 PM
bhk
DVD Talk Legend

It actually is. The city management was dumb enough to sign the contract with unions.
Old 03-30-06, 07:07 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by kvrdave
You finally admit that you and the right-wing doctor agree that if you don't make the decisions - it ain't your fault.

It's good to see you do, at least, think a little - very little - but a little.
Old 03-30-06, 08:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by mikehunt
I don't think a waterless urinal would smell very good

Yeah, maybe instead of the job angle, they should be asking if this thing really works.
Old 03-30-06, 08:59 PM
DVD Talk God

The whole city of Philly, and its ridiculous unions, should be flushed away in a waterless urinal.
Old 03-30-06, 10:40 PM
bhk
DVD Talk Legend

Yeah, maybe instead of the job angle, they should be asking if this thing really works.
From the article posted:
Waterless urinals were introduced in the early 1990s. Thousands are in use around the country, including such places as the San Diego Zoo, Walt Disney World and the Rose Bowl.
Old 03-30-06, 11:49 PM
Mod Emeritus

The urinal cake union, however, is up in arms over this deal, since urinal cakes are the main reason these toilets function without stinking while many water-toilets will omit urinal cakes.
Old 03-31-06, 12:32 AM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by classicman2
You finally admit that you and the right-wing doctor agree that if you don't make the decisions - it ain't your fault.

It's good to see you do, at least, think a little - very little - but a little.
No, see it was a parody post because there is nothing in management that we read that says that they are obligated to keep things obsolete to keep a union happy. However, I know you don't agree with that. You believe a company exists to give people money. I believe a company exists to make money. The side affect of what I believe is that people will make money helping the company make money. The side affect of what you believe is that the company will go out of business trying to keep employees in the "lifestyle to which they have grown accustomed."

But, let us not forget that you still cannot give even 1% fault to anyone but management
Old 03-31-06, 08:32 AM
Political Exile

Originally Posted by Jason
The president of the Buggy Whip Local 832 agrees wholeheartedly.
Very good!
Old 03-31-06, 08:34 AM
Political Exile

Originally Posted by Venusian
For years, convention groups were canceling bookings at the Pennsylvania Convention Center because of difficulties working with six unions. New rules were established in 2003 to allow convention groups to deal instead with a middleman, a labor supplier. A few months later, the electricians union temporarily shut off power and picketed the center in a dispute with the supplier.

In 2004, the MTV reality show "The Real World" briefly pulled up stakes after union workers, in a dispute over hiring practices, picketed the house the cast was to live in. The show's producers and labor leaders eventually negotiated a deal to bring the show back.
It's things like this that make unions look silly.

Unions exist to protect union members. But they don't care about the harm they cause to everyone else.
Old 03-31-06, 08:38 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by grundle
It's things like this that make unions look silly.

Unions exist to protect union members. But they don't care about the harm they cause to everyone else.
I myself like a nice down comforter, but for many people, a simple handwoven quilt can add a touch of country charm and --

What? You mean we're not just making blanket statements? Oh, my mistake.
Old 03-31-06, 11:06 AM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by grundle
But they don't care about the harm they cause to everyone else.
You have the union confused with the employer. It the corporations that don't care.
Old 03-31-06, 11:15 AM
DVD Talk God

Yeah, that's why unions don't want merit pay. They care too much.
Old 03-31-06, 11:16 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Plumber's Union Raises Stink About Waterless Urinals.....

That's a lot of H2O.....

Last edited by Minor Threat; 03-31-06 at 11:30 AM.
Old 03-31-06, 11:17 AM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by kvrdave
Yeah, that's why unions don't want merit pay. They care too much.
Even you're laughing at the silly comment you made. That's progress.
Old 03-31-06, 11:20 AM
Enormous Genitals

Location: a small cottage on a cul de sac in the lower pits of hell.
The unions around here are out of control.
Old 03-31-06, 11:20 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Philly's had waterless urinals for years.

They're called "alleys" I believe.
Old 03-31-06, 11:24 AM
DVD Talk Legend

@ Bus
Old 03-31-06, 11:28 AM
Enormous Genitals

Location: a small cottage on a cul de sac in the lower pits of hell.
OMFG Rush is talking about this right now!!!!11!!!!one!!!
Old 03-31-06, 11:47 AM
DVD Talk God

Can we have only one union bashing thread please?
Old 03-31-06, 11:59 AM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by classicman2
Can we have only one union bashing thread please?
Progress for you as well. It is easy to see how you could fill a forum with good reasons to bash unions.

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.