Religion, Politics and World Events They make great dinner conversation, don't you think? plus Political Film
View Poll Results: What should be done about illegal immigrants?
If they are here make them U.S. citizens
17.24%
Put National Guard on the border & enforce laws
70.69%
$50,000 fine per illegal immigrant on companies who hire
50.00%
Leave things as they are, because I don't care
8.62%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 58. You may not vote on this poll

illegal immigrants

Old 03-29-06, 01:06 AM
Banned

illegal immigrants

With all these protest marches by mexicans I was wondering what people in DVD TALK thought.
It seems to me that it's not that "white America" hates mexicans as some of these marchers have said. What I believe the issus is that a lot of neighborhoods are changing and the schools are becoming overcrowed.
I've had white friends who live in suburbs tell me how illegal immigrants who
live in single family homes have more people that is allowed and there for have like 6 cars taking up the street.
In Chicago they built what they say is the most expensive school in America and it's smack in a Mexican area. This happened because they had mexicans doing a not eating protest sitting. And once they got their school the city of Chicago wanted to send nearby students which just happen to be black and they are crying about that. Of course you can't have a school of students based on race but mexican residents want their school just for their race.
And many seniors can't get good health care but a illegal immigrant can walk in a county hospital a get free service.
By the way I'm hispanic and I had to pointthat out before I get called a racsist by some liberal.
Old 03-29-06, 01:40 AM
DVD Talk God

If they were Canadians I would feel the same way. Kill them all. Actually, I feel that way about Canadians now, so that isn't a good example.
Old 03-29-06, 05:32 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I would say: let them in, and make them pay taxes. The whole protest thing is because you have large communities of people who simply don't want to pay taxes. They want all the benefits of living in America and none of the responsibility.
Old 03-29-06, 07:58 AM
Admin-Thanos

Originally Posted by Superboy
I would say: let them in, and make them pay taxes. The whole protest thing is because you have large communities of people who simply don't want to pay taxes. They want all the benefits of living in America and none of the responsibility.
The only reason you can pay them slave wages is because there's no taxes in the equation. And that's what employers love. If you tax their income, they'll be subject to minimum wage laws and basically making the same kind of wages that regular US citizens can make, thereby making their presence here unnecessary. I would LOVE to see that try to get enforced. It would mean the end of illegal immigration because with legal wages, Americans will be doing those jobs.
Old 03-29-06, 08:16 AM
DVD Talk Hero

I voted to make them citizens and fine companies $50K for hiring illegals. Works for me.
Old 03-29-06, 08:29 AM
DVD Talk God

The poll obviously contain enough options.
Old 03-29-06, 08:31 AM
DVD Talk God

In addition - the national guard option is out since they're all in Iraq.
Old 03-29-06, 09:20 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by CRM114
I voted to make them citizens and fine companies $50K for hiring illegals. Works for me.
Same here.
Old 03-29-06, 09:26 AM
Premium Member

I cant win - the one issue I hoped Bush and I would agree.

I wonder what these protester are portesting for? I would love to here a report ask "and what do you recommned?"
Old 03-29-06, 09:45 AM
bhk
DVD Talk Legend

I wonder what these protester are portesting for?
Get out of school free day.

We either are a nation of laws or we're not. We shouldn't reward people who break laws.
Old 03-29-06, 10:03 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

None of the poll options make any sense.
Old 03-29-06, 10:17 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Vandelay_Inds
But taking away their jobs wouldn't just push them into crime and other antisocial activities? These are hard working people (unlike other local communities) who need to be encouraged and assimilated, not marginalized.

Like I've said before, the problem is one of cultural identity, not economics.
But in my scenario, we offered amnesty and citizenship. Anyone who doesn't take advantage of it goes back or goes underground. I believe most would take advantage of it.
Old 03-29-06, 10:31 AM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by CRM114
But in my scenario, we offered amnesty and citizenship. Anyone who doesn't take advantage of it goes back or goes underground. I believe most would take advantage of it.
I think his point is that if you get rid of all the under the table jobs that they take and put them in the open, legitimate, job market, you probably won't have full employment with them, so you may end up with more crime, etc.

I don't have a problem with the $50,000 fines, but I don't know how enforcable it will be. I don't think a legitimate farmer who hires someone with great fake ID should be fined, but that means they will all find a way to provide great fake ID.
Old 03-29-06, 12:05 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I'm looking to refresh my spanish speaking skills that i learned in school
Old 03-29-06, 12:06 PM

Compromise: expel all the illegal Mexicans and Hispanics, make all the Chicanos and Latinos citizens.
Old 03-29-06, 12:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

its a difficult situation.... i mean there are legitmate people here just wishing to become a citizen and pay taxes....(i know that sounds weird but its true)

but there are also some (Ala Scarface scenario) that are sending their criminals to our country.....

the problem is just out of control and there is pretty much no way out of it...
Old 03-29-06, 12:13 PM

Originally Posted by raven56706
the problem is just out of control and there is pretty much no way out of it...
I'm pretty sure that "nuking from orbit" is always a solution.
Old 03-29-06, 12:22 PM
Political Exile

We should make them U.S. citizens:

http://jewishworldreview.com/cols/sowell032906.asp

March 29, 2006

Thomas Sowell

When you see beggars on the street, they are usually white or black, but almost never Mexican.
Old 03-29-06, 12:46 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I've said it before and I'll say it again -- the only surefire way to dramatically reduce illegal immigration from Mexico is to enact a Marshall Plan for Mexico. If the standard of living in Mexico increases Mexicans won't feel the need to leave their homeland and come to America. Otherwise, like people throughout history have done, they are going to take whatever chances they have to take in order to build better lives for themselves and their families, even if it means risking jail or deportation.

Besides, what does deportation really do? "You'd better stay in Mexico and not sneak into the U.S. or we'll send you back to Mexico, making you no worse off than if you had simply stayed there in the first place!" Yeah, that's a real threat.
Old 03-29-06, 12:54 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by JasonF
I've said it before and I'll say it again -- the only surefire way to dramatically reduce illegal immigration from Mexico is to enact a Marshall Plan for Mexico. If the standard of living in Mexico increases Mexicans won't feel the need to leave their homeland and come to America. Otherwise, like people throughout history have done, they are going to take whatever chances they have to take in order to build better lives for themselves and their families, even if it means risking jail or deportation.

If we are going to spend billions of dollars overseas every year - I'd prefer we spend it in Mexico, rather than Iraq, etc.

Speaking of the poll options - I voted to fine employers, but more importantly I voted to enforce the laws (either that or change them).
Old 03-29-06, 01:05 PM
Banned

It's hypocrisy on both sides. Bush claims he's not above the law. Dems said no one is above the law. Yet, illegals broke the law, there's no argument about it, and neither party have a damn thing to say about it.
Old 03-29-06, 01:18 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Where's the option for target practice by border police and future Iraqi Troops.
Old 03-29-06, 01:57 PM

I'd say fines and/or public flogging of illegal immigrant employers.
Old 03-29-06, 02:13 PM

That seems like a good idea to me. Also sense this country has such a big problem with things like stem cell research why not just move those industries to Mexico,make them the Hub for stem cell research. And instead of out sourcing to China why not just maybe send some jobs to Mexico.
Old 03-29-06, 02:15 PM
DVD Talk God

Besides, what does deportation really do? "You'd better stay in Mexico and not sneak into the U.S. or we'll send you back to Mexico, making you no worse off than if you had simply stayed there in the first place!" Yeah, that's a real threat.

You keep up sensible posts like this, and I'll relinquish the title - 'the voice of reason.'

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.