Religion, Politics and World Events They make great dinner conversation, don't you think? plus Political Film

Oregon has the 3rd worst air quality in the country??

Old 03-22-06, 09:59 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Oregon has the 3rd worst air quality in the country??

I read an article this morning about air quality. There were some obvious rankings, like NY and California having lots of pollution, but what struck me was Oregon having the 3rd worst in the country. I've been all through Oregon and can't really believe this. I don't think they have lots of cars, there is only one metro area (Portland) and even that, through my point of view, seems to be pretty clean for a big city. I couldn't believe the ranking, but then I thought maybe it was pollution from Asia perhaps, because Washington, another place I figured to be clean came in 4th.

What's the deal?
Old 03-22-06, 10:02 PM
X
Administrator

There's even more to worry about than your lungs!

Ozone hits sperm count as well as lungs: study
Wed Mar 22, 2006 2:09 PM ET

LONDON (Reuters) - Smog is not just bad for the lungs. It can hit a man's sperm count too, a Californian study revealed on Wednesday.

The University of Southern California looked at the sperm counts of 48 men who donated at least 10 times in two years to a Los Angeles sperm bank.

Using air pollution measurements from the area where each man lived, Rebecca Sokol's team estimated how much pollutant they were exposed to in the days leading up to each donation.

The team, from the University's Keck School of Medicine, found that ozone formed in smoggy air was the only pollutant that appeared to be linked to decreased sperm production. Carbon monoxide seemed to have no effect.

Ozone cannot reach the testicles directly but Sokol, whose findings were published in The New Scientist magazine, said it may cause an inflammatory response or produce toxic substances in the blood that damage sperm.

http://today.reuters.com/news/newsar...ERM.xml&rpc=22
Old 03-22-06, 11:04 PM
DVD Talk God

I think it takes into account the number of hippies that live in Oregon, and the stink per hippy. Oregon has some of the stinkiest hippies around....and there are lots of them. That kills air quality. Quality of life, in general.
Old 03-23-06, 12:46 AM
Suspended

As I've stated a little while ago, Oregon has an "emissions" policy but lets industrial vehicles run around with virtually no stipulations at all. Only passenger vehicles are subject to emissions testing. It's basically a way to make money off of the taxpayer, and still claiming Oregon is "the cleanest state in the nation". And stats like this prove Oregon lies to the taxpayer. Not surprising. Education, mass transit, housing, illegal immigration, and many other issues the state of Oregon lies to its citizens.
Old 03-23-06, 12:47 AM
Banned

I love it when I see San Francisco folks driving giant SUV through Golden Gate park without thinking about polluting the air there. It's probably the same people who wants smoking ban in public places.
Old 03-23-06, 02:26 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Saw this on the news. They said the data is from 1999, so things could have changed I suppose, but it is still surprising.
Old 03-23-06, 06:14 AM
Political Exile

Since environmentalists are worried about "overpopulation," they should be happy about those lower sperm counts.
Old 03-23-06, 08:00 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Myster X
I love it when I see San Francisco folks driving giant SUV through Golden Gate park without thinking about polluting the air there. It's probably the same people who wants smoking ban in public places.

do SUV's really spit out more nitrous oxides and other pollutants than regular cars? I thought the catalytic converters took care of those on all cars?
Old 03-23-06, 09:48 AM
X
Administrator

Originally Posted by al_bundy
do SUV's really spit out more nitrous oxides and other pollutants than regular cars? I thought the catalytic converters took care of those on all cars?
Fewer miles per gallon means more pollution per mile driven.
Old 03-23-06, 10:36 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by X
Fewer miles per gallon means more pollution per mile driven.

Not really. Fewer miles per gallon DOES mean more CO2. So IF CO2 causes measurable global warming, it does contribute that.

However, CO2 is not a criteria pollutant, and fewer miles per gallon doesn't mean more pollution. ALL cars meet the same pollution standard for HC, CO and NOx, measured in g/mile, regardless of huge V* or tiney 4-banger.

Historically, trucks (pickups, vans, SUVs) had a slightly relaxed number to meet, but again, the same for all in the category. Bigger had to be proportionally cleaner (in parts per million) because it spewed more millions of total exhaust.

Newer laws beginning 2004 set the same standard for pass. car and light truck, I think to 10000 lb gross vehicle weight. These phase in as percent of fleet and are complete in 2008 MY.
Old 03-23-06, 11:08 AM
X
Administrator

So they put crappy catalytic converters on passenger cars and better ones on SUVs because passenger cars burn less gas per mile and are therefore allowed to pollute more than they would with the same catalytic converter of an SUV?

It seems to me just having a standard isn't a true measure of the amount of pollution that is emitted, it's just a maximum allowed.
Old 03-23-06, 11:27 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by X
So they put crappy catalytic converters on passenger cars and better ones on SUVs because passenger cars burn less gas per mile and are therefore allowed to pollute more than they would with the same catalytic converter of an SUV?
True.

It seems to me just having a standard isn't a true measure of the amount of pollution that is emitted, it's just a maximum allowed.
Also true. However, in the new system, there are ten pollution bins. Any car (or truck) model can be in any bin, but the manufacturer's whole fleet must average a certain bin (can't remember if bin 4 or bin 5). So each vehicle tends to be put in the best bin it fits in. That is the best bin where it doesn't exceed ANY of the allowed amounts, and is governed by whatever pollutant it is worse at. It may be quite a bit better on the others.

The emission test includes a city drive begiining with cold engine, a highway test with warm engine, and a second city test with a warm engine. These are averaged one way for emissions, a second for mileage. However, almost all the pollution is in the first bag (cold city), and the other two bags are MUCH better than the standard. So the whole thing becomes confusing. It really NEVER emits a uniform number of grams per mile.

By the time those city folks get to the northern woods, they are just feeding the trees some CO2 they need to grow big and strong.
(while intended to be humorous, it is also factually correct)