Religion, Politics and World Events They make great dinner conversation, don't you think? plus Political Film

Corzine unveils record budget for NJ, breaks campaign pledge

Old 03-21-06, 09:17 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Corzine unveils record budget for NJ, breaks campaign pledge

http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?p...BNyxo&refer=us

no need to quote

Corzine unveils a record budget, raises taxes and breaks a campaign pledge of property tax relief. big surprise
Old 03-21-06, 10:20 PM
bhk
DVD Talk Legend

Big surprise there. Hopefully, he'll go the way of Jim 'Flim-Flam' Florio.
Old 03-21-06, 10:22 PM
DVD Talk God

NO WHAY!

Did he say he worked harder than he ever had before in his life, have a tear ready to fall, and then announce the largest tax increase. That's how a man does it.
Old 03-21-06, 10:33 PM
bhk
DVD Talk Legend

That's how a man does it.
No what a man does involves a cigar and an intern.
Old 03-22-06, 07:04 AM
DVD Talk God

You'd be surprising how often it's better for the local, the state, or the national government to raise taxes.

Even Republicans, sometimes, reach that conclusion.
Old 03-22-06, 08:43 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

The budget in the state is just out of control. When he was running for governor he knew that this was going to be a problem YET he still ran on getting property taxes under control and increasing everybody property tax rebate check. For those that don't know what that is, the state has a program in place that gives "property tax relief" to citizens, because the property taxes in the state are very high. So every year this is an issue and every year the amounts of the rebates are different, etc. etc. One of the reasons Corzine had to raise taxes was so that the rebates could continue and increase like he pledged. So what he is doing is increasing a tax, so he can give you back a rebate. Does that make any sense whatsoever?

Plus, the state budget is now 31 BILLION dollars up from just over 28 billion. So in these "tough times" and having to make "tough decisions" the budget goes UP nearly 3 BILLION dollars. How is that making tough decisions.

Some of it was out of his control with increases in pension funds and health care costs, but he did nothing to bring those under control. He hasn't pledged to change the system that allows people to pad their pensions in the last year of their jobs or anything like that.

He mentioned getting rid of some state workers, but his ex-girlfriend that he paid a 1/2 milion dollars to who is the head of the largest state workers union told him not to get rid of state workers and he changed his mind. He is going to cave to that union EVERY single frickin' time, as long as his ex-girlfriend is head of it. That is one of the biggest conflicts of intreset going, but in NJ everybody just turns a blind eye.

The income tax is next. He pretty much had three choices. Raise the sales tax, raise the income tax, or cut spending. Since he didn't cut spending he will be in the same position next year. He fired the sales tax bullit at the problem this year, next year it will be the income tax.

And to classicman I will add, NJ is already paying very high taxes. This sales tax increase will now put us at the top of the sales tax list ( with I think 3 other states ). Our property taxes are already the highest in the country, and because this budget freezes aid to towns, they will be going up an estimated 10% because of this. I don't know where the income tax comes in, but we have that too. We have all these taxes, yet schools in our inner cities still suck despite 100's of millions of dollars going into them the last decade. Our roads in some parts of the country are real bad. We have a child protection agency that gets lots of money and still lets kids fall through the cracks and remain in bad homes. The state just fired the top 6 people in the IT agency because they couldn't account for the millions that they get and couldn't even put together a report on the various IT systems and stuff that is used by the differant state departments. So what is all this high tax getting us? Business and people are leaving the state. I saw an article last week where they were predicting that NJ will fall out of the top ten in population and will likely lose one of it's congressional seats.
Old 03-22-06, 08:46 AM
DVD Talk God

Most people believe they're paying too high taxes.

Most are not, but they believe it anyway.
Old 03-22-06, 08:59 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by classicman2

OK, but as I pointed out our sales tax and property taxes ARE the top in the nation. Throw in an income tax. The last governor increased fees on everything, so now something like a ticket for not wearing your seatbelt costs you a couple hundred bucks. In your opinion does that qualify as too high taxes or not?

Plus, this tax increase is not for something that the citizens are actually going to get. It isn't like they are increasing taxes to build a bridge, or build schools, or to attact businesses. It is higher taxes and LESS service. It's to pay off the costs of all the bad deals the state has been making for years. It's to pay off the programs that they started in other years when they didn't have the money.
Old 03-22-06, 09:02 AM
bhk
DVD Talk Legend

"Don't believe your lying eyes, I know and will decide how much money you deserve."
Old 03-22-06, 09:45 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

http://www.census.gov/govs/statetax/04staxrank.html

Tax freedom days:
http://www.taxfoundation.org/taxdata/show/387.html

Last edited by mosquitobite; 03-22-06 at 09:48 AM.
Old 03-22-06, 09:53 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

And here are some 2000 NJ numbers :

http://www.census.gov/govs/statetax/0031njstax.html

This shows that the state budget has gone from the 18.1 Billion then to the 30 Billion it is this year. That's a lot in a short time.

Also note that these numbers and the ones in the previous post do not include property taxes. And the ones from the last post do not include the tax increases that we got last year.
Old 03-22-06, 09:54 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

hm. 4 billion dollar deficit. divide that by the number of households in NJ. Add it to their tax bill.

couldnt we have elected a monkey to do that?

i expect politicians to get creative in order to find ways to reduce our deficit. silly me.
Old 03-22-06, 10:05 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Better yet, get rid of some of the spending, then you don't need the extra 4 billion.
Old 03-22-06, 10:15 AM
DVD Talk Hero

NJ is the land of $8000 property tax bills for the average homeowner in addition to toll roads everywhere you go, state income tax and high sales taxes
Old 03-22-06, 10:31 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Capitol of the Empire! Center of all Commerce and Culture! Crossroads of Civilization! NEW ROME!!!...aka New York City
Originally Posted by al_bundy
NJ is the land of $8000 property tax bills for the average homeowner in addition to toll roads everywhere you go, state income tax and high sales taxes
Silly boy, he OBVIOUSLY knows better than YOU!
Old 03-22-06, 10:37 AM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by Tommy Ceez
Silly boy, he OBVIOUSLY knows better than YOU!
That's correct!
Old 03-22-06, 11:07 AM
DVD Talk God

That's so subjective. Generally it means that people who have more money than you do aren't paying enough.
Old 03-22-06, 11:11 AM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by kvrdave
That's so subjective. Generally it means that people who have more money than you do aren't paying enough.
Then you will agree - the top 1% aren't paying enough?
Old 03-22-06, 11:12 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by kvrdave
I also like in the subjective comment he basically called the poster a liar instead of finding a chart to prove him wrong. (that he doesn't pay too much in taxes)

Basically, the facts show classicman is - well - WRONG!
Old 03-22-06, 11:15 AM
DVD Talk God

How does that chart show somebody is wrong?
Old 03-22-06, 11:18 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

New Jersey: #3

They're also #8 in total per capita taxes.

But hey, maybe the numbers lie... I mean, c-man lives in state #33 in terms of per capita - so maybe HE doesn't pay enough (in his mind).
Old 03-22-06, 11:25 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

since i bought my house in 2001, my property taxes have gone from $7,700/year to over 10k/year.

my house is 2600sf and my property is 1/3 acre.

its a joke.
Old 03-22-06, 11:30 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Most people don't like to pay taxes. Curiously, most people also don't want to give up any of the government services that they use.

Thankfully, most people are more than willing to volunteer to cut government expenditures that don't directly benefit them.
Old 03-22-06, 11:30 AM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by mosquitobite
New Jersey: #3

They're also #8 in total per capita taxes.

But hey, maybe the numbers lie... I mean, c-man lives in state #33 in terms of per capita - so maybe HE doesn't pay enough (in his mind).

Duh! The people living in NYC require more services than the people living in Pink, OK.
Old 03-22-06, 11:32 AM
DVD Talk Hero

in NYC we also pay taxes for services like water and garbage that are paid to private companies in the suburbs. Upside is that we get a federal tax break by paying for needed services while the suburbs pay more for it.

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.