Religion, Politics and World Events They make great dinner conversation, don't you think? plus Political Film

Bill Clinton To Be Next NFL Commisioner?

Old 03-21-06, 03:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Bill Clinton To Be Next NFL Commisioner?

According to the New York Daily News:
Clinton could fill the Bill

BY GARY MYERS
DAILY NEWS SPORTS WRITER

Bill Clinton held the job as the most powerful person in the world. Now he's being mentioned as a potential successor to Paul Tagliabue as the most powerful person in sports.

Clinton is well-suited to the process NFL owners will begin when they get together in Orlando next week to begin discussions to select Tagliabue's replacement. It's going to be very political.

Would Clinton be a good commissioner? He's a big sports fan, is a lawyer, can make decisions under pressure and knows how to build a consensus, although dealing with 32 millionaires/billionaires with huge egos could have him nostalgic for his days on Pennsylvania Ave.

The last two times NFL owners selected a commissioner, it was exhausting. Pete Rozelle was elected as a compromise candidate on the 23rd ballot in 1960. When he announced his retirement in March of 1989, it took seven months before owners elected Tagliabue on the 12th ballot after Saints president Jim Finks, the choice of the search committee, was rejected. Rozelle put off his retirement and his move to California until the owners picked Tagliabue. He was getting antsy waiting.

There is no reason to believe this time will be any easier. Tagliabue wants to leave by the end of July, but said he will stick around if the owners have not picked his successor. He was asked if he expected the owners to have as tough a time picking his replacement as they did approving him.

"I don't know what to anticipate because we won't have a discussion with the owners until next Monday, so it's really hard to say," he said. "But kind of the assumption is that we can work through this in the next four months and I'll be ready to move on by the end of July. If that turns out not to be the case, that will take us beyond that into the beginning of the regular season."

Giants president John Mara said it will "be very difficult" finding the next Tagliabue.

"We thought when Pete Rozelle retired there would be big shoes to fill and there were. Paul more than ably filled them," he said. "There are a lot of talented people out there. It will be difficult, but we were able to do it once before. Hopefully, we can do it again."

Roger Goodell, the league's executive vice president/chief operating officer, is considered the favorite to get the required three-quarters approval - 24 out of 32 votes - necessary to be elected. He has been the No. 2 person in the league behind Tagliabue since 2001. He's been with the NFL since 1982. In 1983, he worked in public relations and administration with the Jets before returning to the league office.

Falcons president/GM Rich McKay is also expected to get support. His background as an attorney combined with his role as the co-chairman of the high-profile competition committee could be attractive to owners.

Texans owner Bob McNair suggested yesterday the job be split in two.

"My preference would be to have someone who has had business experience and it very well could be that we need two people: one who is basically the commissioner and runs the football side, and the other would be like the CEO who runs the business side," he said.

This is not going to be a quick process.
I wasn't sure whether this would go in Politics or Sports, but I figured the responses here would be a little bit more, um... interesting...

So what do you think? Frankly, I think Clinton would do a sensational job... but I think the position is probably too big a step down for him.
Old 03-21-06, 03:05 PM
DVD Talk God

Haven't you heard - the job is Condi Rice's if she wants it?
Old 03-21-06, 03:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Capitol of the Empire! Center of all Commerce and Culture! Crossroads of Civilization! NEW ROME!!!...aka New York City
Nope, why piss off a large portion of the population when your so popular? If this is the case, then Nixon should have been MLB commissioner a long time ago.
Old 03-21-06, 03:08 PM

Predictably, somebody mentioned "blowjob in the oval office" in only the third reply!
Old 03-21-06, 03:20 PM

Whoever thinks the NFL commisioner is the most powerful person in sports has to be smoking something.
Old 03-21-06, 03:24 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by wendersfan
Whoever thinks the NFL commisioner is the most powerful person in sports has to be smoking something.

You're correct. We all know its the President of the Women's Field Hockey Association.
Old 03-21-06, 03:32 PM

Sepp Blatter
Lennert Johansson
Bernie Ecclestone
Old 03-21-06, 03:45 PM
Admin-Thanos

Isn't it fun to float names out there that have no chance of actually being selected to offices?
Old 03-21-06, 03:48 PM
DVD Talk God

Sepp Blatter
Lennert Johansson
Bernie Ecclestone
football not futbol
Old 03-21-06, 04:01 PM
DVD Talk Ruler

Harriet Myers?
Old 03-21-06, 06:57 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

You're smoking something
Old 03-21-06, 07:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

They better get going on it before this petition gets a fire lit under it.

Old 03-21-06, 10:35 PM
bhk
DVD Talk Legend

I think he'd probably do a good job. As a bonus, he'd get a different cheerleader every week.
Old 03-22-06, 12:06 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by bhk
I think he'd probably do a good job. As a bonus, he'd get a different cheerleader every week.
ouch!
Old 03-22-06, 12:23 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by bhk

And he could go on boat trips with the Vikings.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20060320/...NlYwMlJVRPUCUl
Rice Not Interested in NFL Post - for Now Mon Mar 20, 5:15 PM ET

Condoleezza Rice, a bona fide football fan, is not applying for the newly opened post of NFL commissioner — not now, anyhow, her spokesman said carefully on Monday.

Rice, who is avid particularly in support of the Cleveland Browns, is enjoying being secretary of state "at the moment," spokesman Sean McCormack said.

The wiggle-room in his response after NFL commissioner Paul Tagliabue announced he would retire resonated off frequent only half-joking statements by Rice that as a lifelong football fan she aspires to run the league one day.

She may also aspire to be president or vice president, at least there has been speculation that she might wind up on the Republican ticket in 2008.

The owner of the New England Patriots, Bob Kraft, for one, seems to be in Rice's corner for the football post.

Kraft told CNBC that he had dinner with Rice a few months ago and found her to be "tremendously capable and highly competent."

"I am flattered that she is interested in joining us," Kraft said. "But, of course, I am only one of 32."
Even worse would be Gary Condit....a different cheerleader would go "missing" weekly.
Old 03-22-06, 04:15 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Regardless of my feelings about Clinton or his ability to perform the job, such a gimmick appointment would be better suited to the XFL than the NFL.
Old 03-22-06, 06:49 PM
bhk
DVD Talk Legend

http://www.wpbfnews.com/news/8192842/detail.html
DJ Fired For Calling Condoleezza Rice 'Coon'

POSTED: 6:06 pm EST March 22, 2006
UPDATED: 6:43 pm EST March 22, 2006

ST. LOUIS -- A St. Louis radio show host is out of a job after using a racial epithet on the air while talking about Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice.

KTRS-AM announced the firing shortly after morning talk show host Dave Lenihan used the word "coon" in describing Rice's attributes for the post of NFL commissioner.

Lenihan and the station's management both called the use of the word a "slip of the tongue."

Station president and general manager Tim Dorsey said the utterance was nonetheless "unacceptable, reprehensible and unforgivable."

Lenihan was heaping praise on Rice, a big football fan, then said: "She's African-American, which would kind of be a big coon. A big coon. Oh my God. I am totally, totally, totally, totally, totally sorry for that."

Reached at home, Lenihan said he was trying to say "quite a coup." He says he's drafting a letter of apology to Rice.
Copyright 2006 by The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.
Yikes, this is so crazy. He shouldn't have been fired.
Old 03-22-06, 06:58 PM
DVD Talk God

Pretty niggardly amount of leeway they give their DJs.
Old 03-22-06, 07:01 PM
bhk
DVD Talk Legend

leeway
What have you got against people named Lee? racist
Old 03-22-06, 07:07 PM
X
Administrator

Gee, nobody fired Bustamante for this. In fact he was nominated to run for governor.

Slip of tongue could have been chance to educate

WASHINGTON — Cruz Bustamante had a golden opportunity to break the "fourth wall" of this nation's troubled race relations.

Instead, he retreated behind the refuge of denial and doublespeak.

While giving a Black History Month speech Monday to an audience of nearly 400 black labor activists, Bustamante — California's lieutenant governor — used the word "******" during his remarks. The epithet slipped out as Bustamante was reciting a list of black labor groups that came into existence during the last century, some of which had the word "Negro" in their title.

Somehow "Negro" became "******" in Bustamante's rendition of one of these titles. Realizing the mistake, he quickly apologized to his stunned audience.

"If you heard what I think I heard, I want you to know it wasn't me," he said, a bit nonplussed. "It's not the way I was raised, it's not the way I was taught, it's not the way I raised my children and it's not what's in my heart."

Maybe not, but it is what came out of his mouth.

http://www.usatoday.com/news/opinion...06-wickham.htm
Old 03-22-06, 07:21 PM
DVD Talk God

The people of California can only wish they went all the way with Bustamante.

Instead - look what they got.
Old 03-25-06, 05:01 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Will Bill be able to perform this position from the White House when he's the first First Man?

New cheerleader every week!
Old 03-26-06, 10:37 AM
bhk
DVD Talk Legend

Maybe not, but everyone would know that when Hil went on a foreign trip, those 4-5 days would be THE party to be at if you're someone.
Old 03-26-06, 10:48 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by BassDude
Will Bill be able to perform this position from the White House when he's the first First Man?

New cheerleader every week!
Must every Clinton thread turn into this?
Old 03-26-06, 10:55 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Canadian Bacon
Must every Clinton thread turn into this?
Yeah its not like these threads are the result of his own actions that will haunt him for the rest of his life or anything....

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.