Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk > Religion, Politics and World Events
Reload this Page >

Liberal Canadian Senator fires back at U.S. family upset with seal hunt

Religion, Politics and World Events They make great dinner conversation, don't you think? plus Political Film

Old 03-17-06, 02:41 PM
Banned

seal hunt story
http://www.cbc.ca/montreal/story/qc-seal20060315.html

Read some of the letters also. Another excuse for anti-Bush rant.

senator story
http://www.cbc.ca/news/viewpoint/you...tor_seals.html

A Liberal senator has replied to a family in Minnesota upset about Canada's seal hunt with a letter denouncing the United States for executing prisoners at home and killing people in Iraq.

The McLellan family had written to Canadian senators to say they cancelled a vacation in Canada because of the hunt, which they called "horrible" and "inhumane," Montreal's La Presse reports.

In her response, Senator Céline Hervieux-Payette said that what she finds horrible is "the daily massacre of innocent people in Iraq, the execution of prisoners – mainly blacks – in American prisons, the massive sale of handguns to Americans, the destabilization of the entire world by the American government's aggressive foreign policy, etc."

She said Americans are not in a position to criticize others. "They must start to look at their own behaviour, the permanent heightening of the planet's insecurity since the election of Bush," she told La Presse.

In their letter, the McLellans said they love Canada and have Canadian ancestors but cancelled a trip to Canada last year because of the seal hunt and will scrap plans for one this year if the spring hunt goes ahead, La Presse said.
Old 03-17-06, 03:07 PM
DVD Talk Hero

We never should have gone after Hitler until the whole gay marriage debate was worked out.

Quick! Halt all of our environmental programs until we have universal health care!
Old 03-17-06, 03:10 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

lol ... owned
Old 03-17-06, 03:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Thor

But you forgot a better highway system, all roads newly paved and such
Old 03-17-06, 03:25 PM
DVD Talk Hero

people have been hunting seals for hundreds of years, what is the big deal?
Old 03-17-06, 03:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by al_bundy

they're adorable!
Old 03-17-06, 03:55 PM
DVD Talk Hero

women love wearing them in russia
Old 03-17-06, 07:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Take that, u dumb McLellans!!
Old 03-17-06, 08:14 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by dick_grayson
they're adorable!
They're also voracious little bastards that are very tough on fish stocks, plus they reproduce like rabbits. As sad as it sounds, those cute little suckers are in direct competition for food with us. I'm sure animal lovers will always manage to find some drunken idiot who's willing to do inhumane stuff on tape, but so long as humane regulations (which do exist) are enforced and those in violation punished, I honestly don't see the problem. It's natural resource management. Animal lovers' time would be better spent going after those who hunt species that are actually endangered, even if they happen to be ugly.
Old 03-17-06, 08:58 PM
Suspended

The McLellans are idiots. Seal hunters are idiots. At least the Canadianm senator has a little more intelligence than them.
Old 03-17-06, 09:26 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by DVD Polizei
The McLellans are idiots. Seal hunters are idiots. At least the Canadianm senator has a little more intelligence than them.
I don't know about that. While I don't have a problem with the seal hunt, her answer was pretty absurd. Why not address the issue instead of...talking about things that have nothing to do with what the letter is about.
Old 03-17-06, 09:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by dick_grayson
they're adorable!
And tasty too!
Old 03-17-06, 09:48 PM
Suspended

Originally Posted by jaeufraser
I don't know about that. While I don't have a problem with the seal hunt, her answer was pretty absurd. Why not address the issue instead of...talking about things that have nothing to do with what the letter is about.
Well, maybe, but the family is wholistically accusing the country of Canada in their letter. Sooooo, why shouldn't she respond in the same way. I think she's playing fair.
Old 03-17-06, 10:59 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

...and people have been killing people for political and financial gains and putting murderers to death for much longer.

Last edited by Giantrobo; 03-18-06 at 08:25 AM.
Old 03-17-06, 11:02 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Well, maybe, but the family is wholistically accusing the country of Canada in their letter. Sooooo, why shouldn't she respond in the same way. I think she's playing fair.
Because it's stupid. If she wanted to give the letter the attention it deserved, she should've just not responded. As a senator, I would hope they could do better than playing a "since you're being stupid, I'm going to be stupid too!" game.
Old 03-17-06, 11:25 PM
Suspended

So, you're saying she's totally wrong and doesn't make a point then. Interesting.
Old 03-17-06, 11:50 PM
Banned

So, you're saying she's totally wrong and doesn't make a point then. Interesting.
Yes, she's wrong. Attention whore, nothing more.
Old 03-18-06, 12:23 AM
DVD Talk Hero

I woudn't mind that type of reaction from a regular citizen but that type of conduct is rather unbecoming of a Senator. She should have addressed the issue at hand, not use her position as a pulpit to criticize US policies. Had this statement come from a US official/politician/diplomat, that would have been an entirely different matter and would have warranted such a response. As it stands, it's even sillier (and ironic) when you consider that the Mclellan family, animal lovers that they seem to be, would probably be condemning their own country on these exact same points that the Senator brought up.
Old 03-18-06, 01:16 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Old 03-18-06, 02:02 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by jaeufraser
Because it's stupid. If she wanted to give the letter the attention it deserved, she should've just not responded. As a senator, I would hope they could do better than playing a "since you're being stupid, I'm going to be stupid too!" game.
Here's one point of clarification for any americans reading this and thinking a Canadian senator is anything remotely like an american senator.

Canadian senators are currently not elected, but rather, appointed by the Governer General on the advice of the Prime Minister. They then serve until either they're scandalized, reach the mandatory retirement age of 75, drop dead, or decide to leave because they just don't need the money. Some senators have "served" for a period of several years from La Paz, New Mexico, without difficulty until the media had a few slow news-weeks and jumped on the story. The Senate makes no laws, but rather, operates as a check on Parliament. Bills passed by parliament are sent to the Senate for amendment and approval before becoming law. In theory, that sounds important, but in practice the Senate typially rubber stamps anything put in front of it and is by and large completely dysfunctional. There have been cases of active senators going entire years without sitting a single session.

So, in summary, Senator Céline Hervieux-Payette was not elected to her current position, but rather, appointed for her affiliation with the liberal party. She doesn't have to worry about being re-elected or anything of the sort. She doesn't even really have to worry too much about doing her job in the Senate. If she even shows up on a semi-regular basis she's golden. Ergo, this comment comes from a political crony who the Canadian people did not elect, who wields no significant power, and has no real compelling interest in representing the Canadian people. She shows up. She get's paid. Tax free.

So, as you can see, being a senator in Canada isn't a particularily big deal.

Last edited by Nutter; 03-18-06 at 02:05 AM.
Old 03-18-06, 07:59 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Giantrobo
...and peoplel have been killing people for political and financial gains and putting murderers to death for much longer.

is there any difference between canadians hunting seals for food and resources and americans fishing salmon for food and resources? Same thing.
Old 03-18-06, 08:26 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

is there any difference between canadians hunting seals for food and resources and americans fishing salmon for food and resources? Same thing.

Uhm ,i don't know. I think I was agreeing with your post.
Old 03-18-06, 09:27 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Nutter
So, as you can see, being a senator in Canada isn't a particularily big deal.
Ooh, ooh! But she's got the word "liberal" attached to her name! So clearly this whole thread is worthwhile.

Old 03-18-06, 01:00 PM
Banned

Does anyone know if seals taste good? That would end the debate for me.
Old 03-18-06, 01:08 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Bronkster

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.