Religion, Politics and World Events They make great dinner conversation, don't you think? plus Political Film

Missouri House OKs birth control funding ban

Old 03-17-06, 03:40 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Missouri House OKs birth control funding ban

Didn't see a thread on this...

http://www.kansascity.com/mld/kansas...l/14109047.htm

— The Missouri House voted Wednesday to ban state funding of contraceptives for low-income women and to prohibit state-funded programs from referring those women to other programs.
Critics jumped on the proposal, saying it would lead to more abortions and more unwanted children on welfare.
But the proposal’s sponsor, Republican Rep. Susan Phillips of Kansas City, said contraceptive services were an inappropriate use of tax dollars. “If doctors want to give contraception privately or personally, they can,” Phillips said. “But we don’t need to pay for contraception with taxpayer funds.”
Phillips’ amendment did not save the state money. Instead, it imposed restrictions on how state agencies could spend $9.23 million earmarked for public-health programs, mainly for people who are poor but make too much money to qualify for Medicaid.
The Budget Committee had approved expenditures on screenings for breast and cervical cancer, sexually transmitted diseases, infertility treatments and contraception.
Phillips’ amendment eliminated infertility treatments and contraception, and substituted alternatives to abortion and prenatal care for the purpose of giving birth. It also prohibited spending on any treatment and referrals for any treatment not spelled out in the budget.

Coming from the anti-abortion Republicans this seems very strange.

Fits right in with the cold beer ban, I guess
Old 03-17-06, 06:52 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Phillips’ amendment eliminated infertility treatments and contraception
Seems like a push to me.

J/K, this is stupid.
Old 03-17-06, 07:57 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I fully support the state funding contraceptives for low-income women (and families), etc. However, I'm not too keen on the state funding infertility treatments.
Old 03-17-06, 08:27 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by GreenMonkey
Coming from the anti-abortion Republicans this seems very strange.
I don't think it's strange at all. It fits right in with their moral crusader image.
Old 03-17-06, 09:31 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Nazgul
I fully support the state funding contraceptives for low-income women (and families), etc. However, I'm not too keen on the state funding infertility treatments.
I agree. If you read the full article you will see another Republican rep proposed an amendment that would strip infertility funding but keep contraceptive funding. It was rejected mostly along party lines.
Old 03-17-06, 10:43 AM
Political Exile

I favor a ban on government funding of birth control.

I oppose a ban on private funding of birth control.
Old 03-17-06, 11:06 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by grundle

You'd rather pay the welfare costs of the unwanted babies and have the crime wave they'll cause when they grow up? Penny wise, pound dumb.
Old 03-17-06, 12:30 PM
Banned

You'd rather pay the welfare costs of the unwanted babies

What welfare costs? They'll just cancel those programs and pretend like everything's just fantastic with all those "cute little kids" running around. After all, kids don't really need to be provided with anything once their born - they're all self-sufficient, you know.
Old 03-17-06, 12:31 PM
DVD Talk God

government birth control funding - no problem

government funding of abortions - problem
Old 03-17-06, 12:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

All states have programs that help pay for hospital bills of victims of violent crimes. I don't think anyone would oppose such a program, and I wouldn't have a problem if the government paid for the morning-after pill or abortion for rape victims. I think that would be my special exception.
Old 03-17-06, 12:46 PM

Originally Posted by classicman2
government birth control funding - no problem

government funding of abortions - problem
I'm not all that happy about either, but I have to agree that <b>Old Dude</b>'s position has a lot of merit.
Old 03-17-06, 04:27 PM
Political Exile

Originally Posted by OldDude
You'd rather pay the welfare costs of the unwanted babies and have the crime wave they'll cause when they grow up? Penny wise, pound dumb.
I favor abolishing welfare.
Old 03-17-06, 04:29 PM
Political Exile

Originally Posted by Ranger
All states have programs that help pay for hospital bills of victims of violent crimes. I don't think anyone would oppose such a program, and I wouldn't have a problem if the government paid for the morning-after pill or abortion for rape victims. I think that would be my special exception.
Even I favor government funding for that. Government is supposed to protect people from criminals.
Old 03-17-06, 04:51 PM
DVD Talk Hero

So this wouldn't surprise anybody that this is the same state that has certain Republicans trying to make Christianity the OFFICIAL RELIGION OF THE STATE.

Old 03-17-06, 04:56 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I think someone should propose a bill that states all supporters of this bill will have to pay for unwanted pregnancies and adopt the abandoned children as well.
Old 03-20-06, 10:36 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by grundle

I would have understood this better if it was saving money. Old-school Republican thought is for less social programs and for saving dollars.

But this wasn't a reduction, like it said:
Phillips’ amendment did not save the state money. Instead, it imposed restrictions on how state agencies could spend $9.23 million earmarked for public-health programs, mainly for people who are poor but make too much money to qualify for Medicaid.

Originally Posted by Jason
I don't think it's strange at all. It fits right in with their moral crusader image.
See, I don't get this either. Republicans aren't against birth control, are they? Or are all these Missouri lawmakers all diehard Catholics or something?? I get the "no birth control for kids" thing as a moral crusading type attitude. But why the issue with adults? Why is preventing poor people from getting birth control a moral crusade?

It seems like a party against abortions would be in favor of birth control as an alternative. I just don't get it.
Old 03-21-06, 06:35 AM
Political Exile

I would have understood this better if it was saving money. Old-school Republican thought is for less social programs and for saving dollars.

But this wasn't a reduction, like it said:

See, I don't get this either. Republicans aren't against birth control, are they? Or are all these Missouri lawmakers all diehard Catholics or something?? I get the "no birth control for kids" thing as a moral crusading type attitude. But why the issue with adults? Why is preventing poor people from getting birth control a moral crusade?

It seems like a party against abortions would be in favor of birth control as an alternative. I just don't get it.

That is an excellent point.

Since it didn't reduce government spending, I am against this restriction. As long as the government is spending that money anyway, they should be allowed to spend it on birth control.
Old 03-21-06, 07:19 AM
DVD Talk Hero

It is a dividing point between the fiscal-responsibility and religious-whacko wings of the party. In the long run, it is far cheaper to not cause unwanted children to be raised on welfare. (true for teenagers, too)
Old 03-21-06, 07:37 AM
DVD Talk God

Can I ask a question of our atheist or agnostic friend, or whatever he's calling himself now (OldDude) a question? Is it possible for you to mention the word religious without adding the word whacko to it? It seems to have become your trademark.
Old 03-21-06, 08:44 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Of course it is. Not all the religious are whackos. There are several denominations that are entirely accepting of birth control, and even some that accept abortion, although nobody really likes it. They even accept evolution (not necessarily all the same denomination). Apart from these "litmus tests" there are a wide range of views on other issues.

However, the Republican party (which I understand you aren't a member of) includes in its Big Tent a number of religious who have very whacked views about the world in general, and I stand by the term as applied to them.
Old 03-21-06, 10:14 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

i think bush has realized that by doing this, he can solve the social security problem.