Religion, Politics and World Events They make great dinner conversation, don't you think? plus Political Film

Meanwhile... In Afghanistan

Old 03-12-06, 11:01 PM
Banned

Meanwhile... In Afghanistan

From War: Canadian Style

Greene's attacker, later identified as Abdul Kareem, 16, lies dead in the wadi just a few metres away. The teenager uttered a single cry of "Allahu Akbar" (God Is Great) before raising an axe without warning and driving it two-handed down into the top of Greene's head. Seconds later, he was cut down by 14 bullets from three Canadian guns.

Schamuhn told the story that night to the Star, and later in a conference call to other journalists at the main base in Kandahar, with a frankness and degree of detail that sent shock waves through the Canadian Forces high command. He spoke of the "poison" he saw in the eyes of the teenage attacker in that nanosecond before the axe came down. He named the three Canadian shooters, himself among them. He numbered the bullets at 14.
The most common response to this article will be, "WTF? Canada has a military?", but I thought it was a good read, and more importantly, gives an impression of what's going on in Afghanistan these days. The job there is most certainly not yet done.
Old 03-12-06, 11:27 PM
DVD Talk God

I think the "goal" in Afganistan is actually less likely than in Iraq. It may not be as violent in numbers, etc. but the eventual outcome just seems impossible without staying there forever.
Old 03-12-06, 11:31 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Nice read.
Old 03-13-06, 02:08 PM
Suspended

Originally Posted by kvrdave
I think the "goal" in Afganistan is actually less likely than in Iraq. It may not be as violent in numbers, etc. but the eventual outcome just seems impossible without staying there forever.
Or it's just not being reported as much.
Old 03-13-06, 02:11 PM
DVD Talk Hero

canadian soldiers don't have the media coverage of the US military, and so they are usually used in situations where they need to butt some heads
Old 03-13-06, 02:40 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by DVD Polizei
Or it's just not being reported as much.
...or it may not be as violent in numbers.
Old 03-13-06, 02:41 PM
bhk
DVD Talk Legend

So what you're saying is that the media is a hinderance on the conduction of the war on terror.
Old 03-13-06, 02:45 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by bhk
So what you're saying is that the media is a hinderance on the conduction of the war on terror.
There's no doubt in my mind that if there was a full media blackout in Iraq (except for government communication, of course), we wouldn't be in the same situation we are in today.

That doesn't mean it would be justified, however.

Outside of iraq, the general war on terror is even broader, and the media may or may not help or hinder things, but that's just an element of the battlefield that needs to be worked within. Clearly it cannot be controlled, but it could be utilized.
Old 03-13-06, 02:47 PM

Originally Posted by bhk
A free press if almost always a hindrance to government action. <b>That's the point.</b>
Old 03-13-06, 02:48 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by wendersfan
A free press if almost always a hindrance to government action. <b>That's the point.</b>
It's like a wise man has said (I think it was me ) - as bad as the press is - god, I'm glad we've got 'em.
Old 03-13-06, 02:54 PM
bhk
DVD Talk Legend

Must be why the so many people on the left love FoxNews and Drudge.
Old 03-13-06, 02:55 PM

Originally Posted by bhk

Must be why the so many people on the left love FoxNews and Drudge.
Not that I'm all that much on the left, but any problems I have with either of those has nothing to do with editorial content - it's purely a stylistic complain in both cases.
Old 03-13-06, 02:57 PM
bhk
DVD Talk Legend

You don't like the colors that they use?
Old 03-13-06, 03:01 PM

Originally Posted by bhk
You don't like the colors that they use?
I don't like Fox because the screen is too busy (due to that annoying 'ticker') and they seem to assume their audience is composed of people who weren't educated past elementary school. FWIW, I don't think CNN is much better - they seem to target the middle school audience instead. I don't get MSNBC currently.

The Drudge site is just plain ugly. It's like a drunk guy shouting at you from across the street. I've never actually been able to read anything there before the headache kicks in.
Old 03-13-06, 03:21 PM
bhk
DVD Talk Legend

OK, got it.
Old 03-13-06, 03:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I don't like Fox because the screen is too busy (due to that annoying 'ticker') and they seem to assume their audience is composed of people who weren't educated past elementary school. FWIW, I don't think CNN is much better - they seem to target the middle school audience instead. I don't get MSNBC currently.
That's because the general public (Fox's audience) is very, very, VERY stupid.
Old 03-13-06, 03:55 PM
DVD Talk God

I don't believe the American public is very. very stupid.

They're not as politically engaged as some on this forum seem to be, but that doesn't make them stupid, or incapable of making the 'right' political decision.

Generally, IMO, they come to the right conclusion.

Some would argue that they are more prone to come to the right conclusion than are the more politically engaged folks are.
Old 03-13-06, 04:26 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Not that I'm all that much on the left, but any problems I have with either of those has nothing to do with editorial content - it's purely a stylistic complain in both cases.
That's the same reason I use CNN almost exclusively.
Old 03-13-06, 04:29 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by Thor Simpson
That's the same reason I use CNN almost exclusively.
Hmm! I watch CNN the least.
Old 03-13-06, 04:41 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by bhk
Its scary how much you blindly trust the government.
Old 03-13-06, 04:45 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by classicman2
Yeah, CNN is now like an all-night "Today" show. The offered the whole prime time one night last week to "Lung Cancer, The Silent Killer." Other times, its Anderson Cooper in a field vest acting like a journalist in New Orleans.
Old 03-13-06, 05:18 PM
Banned

I don't believe the American public is very. very stupid.

They're not as politically engaged as some on this forum seem to be, but that doesn't make them stupid, or incapable of making the 'right' political decision.

Generally, IMO, they come to the right conclusion.

Some would argue that they are more prone to come to the right conclusion than are the more politically engaged folks are.

The percentage of americans who believe in literal biblical creation (i.e. God, eden, Adam & Eve, <10000ya) has hovered in the 40-50% range over the last decade or so and recently ventured into the >50% area. However, this does not suggest that Americans are very very stupid. It merely suggests they are, on average, poorly informed.
Old 03-13-06, 05:20 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I watch CNN not at all.

Sorry, I meant CNN.com.
Old 03-13-06, 05:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Thor Simpson
There's no doubt in my mind that if there was a full media blackout in Iraq (except for government communication, of course), we wouldn't be in the same situation we are in today.
You're absolutely right! With a full media blackout in Iraq...

Jessica Lynche would still be a Rambo-ette who single handedly took out a dozen of the enemy and Pat Tillman would still have been killed by enemy fire while valiantly hold his position. And Lyndie England would still be an unknown.

Oh, and Iraq would be safer than Detroit.
Old 03-13-06, 06:35 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by sracer
You're absolutely right! With a full media blackout in Iraq...

Jessica Lynche would still be a Rambo-ette who single handedly took out a dozen of the enemy and Pat Tillman would still have been killed by enemy fire while valiantly hold his position. And Lyndie England would still be an unknown.

Oh, and Iraq would be safer than Detroit.
How would a media blackout in Iraq keep us from finding out that Pat Tillman was killed by friendly fire in Afghanistan?

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.