Religion, Politics and World Events They make great dinner conversation, don't you think? plus Political Film

Biden: Troops Should Come Home in Summer

Old 03-12-06, 03:11 PM
Admin-Thanos

Biden: Troops Should Come Home in Summer

Yahoo link
By NEDRA PICKLER, Associated Press Writer
51 minutes ago

WASHINGTON - The U.S. should pull troops from Iraq after this summer if the political conditions in the country do not improve, the top Democrat on the Senate Foreign Relations Committee said Sunday.

Sen. Joseph Biden (news, bio, voting record) of Delaware, who is aiming for the 2008 presidential race, said the Iraqis must have a constitution that unites fighting factions of the society or "it's game over."

"We can't want peace in Iraq more than the Iraqis want it," Biden said on NBC's "Meet the Press." "We can't want it more than they want it. And if they don't step up to the ball, we're going to be gone."

Biden said if knew what he knows now when Congress voted on the Iraq war resolution, he would have opposed it. "This has been a debacle," he said.

Sen. George Allen (news, bio, voting record), R-Va., said he agrees that it is vitally important for the Iraqis elected in February's parliamentary elections to form a government. But Allen, also a presidential hopeful, said he is unwilling to set a specific deadline.

Allen said the situation among the Kurds, Shiites, Sunnis is "going tough."

"Politically, action needs to be taken," Allen said. "They need to come together and then I think there will be greater confidence on part of the people of Iraq."

Presidential adviser Karl Rove said Saturday that the Bush administration will not pull American troops out of Iraq until victory is achieved, despite the growing number of Democrats urging a withdrawal.

Abandoning Iraq now would signal to U.S. allies that America can't be trusted, Rove said during a Republican fundraiser at Bowling Green State University in Ohio.

"Tyrants in the Middle East would laugh at our failed resolve," he said. "To retreat before victory would be a reckless act."
Looks like Joe is trying to get some headlines. We know who he's speaking to of course, the Democratic Primary voter.

He's still my candidate in '08 until he gets swept aside by the Hillary money machine.
Old 03-12-06, 03:55 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Well at least he wouldn't have to hire any speech writers.
Old 03-12-06, 04:18 PM
DVD Talk Hero

The title of the thread is a bit misleading. Its not what he said on MTP. The first paragraph of your article is accurate.
Old 03-12-06, 04:46 PM
DVD Talk Ruler

Originally Posted by CRM114
The title of the thread is a bit misleading. Its not what he said on MTP. The first paragraph of your article is accurate.
Good catch CRM. I agree there is a point when our being there is no longer productive. That decision, however, isn't up to Biden. Futhermore i'm not really sure what he's saying here. There is already a troop reducution going on that was announced in December by Rumsfeld. Is he talking about one day after the summer is over we announce "On October 1st we're leaving!"?

It just seems like he's trying to get some press time and saying nothing that we've not heard a million times already from other potential democratic challengers.
Old 03-12-06, 05:18 PM

It just seems like he's trying to get some press time and saying nothing that we've not heard a million times already from other potential democratic challengers.
That was the overall impression I got when listening to the interview.
Old 03-12-06, 05:18 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Biden was saying that the elections were in February and weeks later, there still is no government. He's saying, if they STILL don't have their shit together, its time to change the status quo either with over-the-horizon deployment or some other strategy. Getting us out of the civil war is the point.
Old 03-12-06, 05:22 PM

Getting us out of the civil war is the point.
Which has become the main argument/position of the Dems (atleast it seems to me...) so I think General Zod's assessment is accurate.
Old 03-12-06, 06:03 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by VinVega
Yahoo link

Looks like Joe is trying to get some headlines. We know who he's speaking to of course, the Democratic Primary voter.

He's still my candidate in '08 until he gets swept aside by the Hillary money machine.
He ain't mine.

I'm very disappointed in the 'new Joe Biden' - and not only on this issue.
Old 03-12-06, 09:57 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I say we stay the course.
Old 03-12-06, 10:56 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Stay the intercourse.
Old 03-12-06, 11:04 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by classicman2
He ain't mine.

I'm very disappointed in the 'new Joe Biden' - and not only on this issue.
And you use to be such a fan of his. I think Joe realized that the Democratic approach to the presidency is to continue to do what people in the past did and failed. He's perfecting it.
Old 03-13-06, 07:00 AM
DVD Talk God

I admired Joe Biden in basically two areas: the former stance he took as a chairman and member of the Senate Judiciary Committee concerning judicial nominees - sadly no longer his stance; and, the stance he took on foreign & military policy at the beginning of the Iraq War. I didn't approve of his voting for it, but I did approve of his 'once we're there approach' - sadly, apparently, no longer.

I also admired the stance he took on the death and legacy of Strom Thurmond.

In other words - the senior senator from Delaware exhibited pragmatism with those stances.
Old 03-13-06, 07:13 AM
Admin-Thanos

Did you support his stance on helping the credit card companies get more powerful over the little guy with respect to the bankruptcy laws?
Old 03-13-06, 07:19 AM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by VinVega
Did you support his stance on helping the credit card companies get more powerful over the little guy with respect to the bankruptcy laws?
He is the Senor Senator from Delaware, after all.

No, you know I don't approve of any measure that gives the banks more power. I want to see just the opposite.

Last edited by classicman2; 03-13-06 at 07:24 AM.