Religion, Politics and World Events They make great dinner conversation, don't you think? plus Political Film

Being PC Is Getting Out Control

Old 03-11-06, 09:20 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Being PC Is Getting Out Control

http://www.oregonlive.com/news/orego...480.xml&coll=7

Story about our wonderful Mayer, Tom Potter, who is beginning to take the shape of Vera Katz...

-----

After residents pleaded for pet projects at a City Council hearing Tuesday, Kayse Jama rose to tell a different story.

In the past 1 1/2 years, the Somali refugee said, Portland police have pulled him over four times.

"I don't believe, at least as a person of color, these police officers right now are protecting me as an individual," he said to more than 100 people attending the hearing at the Immigrant and Refugee Community Organization.

Mayor Tom Potter, a former police chief who knew Jama from his 2004 campaign, sympathized with him later: "Kayse, I apologize for you being stopped so many times. You're a good man, and you don't deserve that."

Potter went further Wednesday, saying the police stops "smacked of racism." When asked whether there could be a logical reason Jama was stopped, the mayor said: "Just because it quacks like a duck and walks like a duck . . . "

To some, Potter stated the obvious and what the last publicly released statistics bear out: Police stop African Americans at a higher rate than whites. But in a public forum, it's a bold assertion by the mayor considering his police chief is African American and that Potter himself once led that bureau.

Court records show that Jama has been cited four times in six years, most recently in January; police say they have had two contacts with him since 2002. However, because officers are not required to record names at stops that don't result in a citation, Jama's contacts with police would not necessarily be reflected.

Since taking office, Potter has pushed the bureau to return to the community roots he instilled while chief. Potter asked Foxworth on Tuesday to follow up on Jama's concerns. The chief later sent the mayor a text message to say he would look into it.

Potter said he doesn't "have specific proof" that racial profiling happens in Portland. "I'd have to wait for the numbers to come out. I think it's a problem all over the United States, and I don't want it to be a problem here."

On Wednesday, Foxworth said he couldn't respond to the mayor's concerns about racism. The chief said he'd "have to talk to the mayor to make sure those were the things that were said, and in what context."

Foxworth said the bureau will look into whether Jama was cited for traffic violations during the stops, and whether the same officer was involved each time.

"One of the things we also find is people don't have a real good understanding of why we do what we do, and it helps once they're given an explanation," he said.

Foxworth thinks the mayor was trying to convey to Jama on Tuesday that race-based profiling is a concern. "This is an issue that's obviously a concern to him, and one that's a concern to the city," Foxworth said. "It concerns me."

----

Also, I found out this Somalian excellent driver has 3 tickets for not providing insurance proof, 1 ticket for driving an unregistered vehicle.

Yeah, he's a victim of racial profiling alright. Such an upstanding citizen.
Old 03-11-06, 11:27 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Sounds like that police station is being run like a plantation, and you know what I'm talking about.
Old 03-11-06, 11:33 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Capitol of the Empire! Center of all Commerce and Culture! Crossroads of Civilization! NEW ROME!!!...aka New York City
Originally Posted by MartinBlank
Sounds like that police station is being run like a plantation, and you know what I'm talking about.
Yeah...the plantation owners dont allow no unregistered drivers!
Old 03-11-06, 11:37 AM
DVD Talk Ruler

Getting out of control? It already is out of control.
Old 03-11-06, 02:56 PM

We can thank the lawyers and the Left for this.
Old 03-11-06, 04:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by kahuna415
Old 03-11-06, 04:57 PM

Originally Posted by kahuna415
Have you taken the time to read http://forum.dvdtalk.com/showthread.php?t=448146? If you have a specific point to make and care to offer specific evidence of it please feel free. Arguments made up solely of blanket statements and generalizations like this are frowned upon now.
Old 03-11-06, 05:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by DVD Polizei
Story about our wonderful Mayer,

Old 03-11-06, 05:23 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

D'oh! I can't believe I spelled that wrong.