Religion, Politics and World Events They make great dinner conversation, don't you think? plus Political Film

Gale Norton Resigns

Old 03-10-06, 05:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Gale Norton Resigns

Wow, cannot believe this hasn't been posted yet!

WASHINGTON, March 10 Gale A. Norton, who as interior secretary has been a key player in the Bush administration's efforts to exploit natural resources on federal lands and a focal point of dissatisfaction by environmentalists, announced today that she was resigning, effective at the end of the month. She said that she had accomplished much of what she had intended to do, and hinted at fatigue.

Ms. Norton has been on the job for five years, and was at the nexus of many controversies, including drilling in the Arctic National Wildlife Refuge and other sensitive areas, administration of the Endangered Species Act, handling of trust money for Indian tribes, and collection of royalties due the government for natural gas drilling on public lands.

During her tenure, snowmobiles returned to Yellowstone National Park, and extensive areas were opened up for drilling and logging, but the Arctic refuge was not. She has also presided over the department as it became enmeshed in a Washington corruption scandal involving the lobbyist Jack Abramoff.

More than her predecessors had, she stressed voluntary conservation measures and "cooperative conservation," with partnership with landowners, rather than regulation. She also stressed volunteerism.

Word of her departure elicited mixed reviews. In a statement, the Industrial Energy Consumers Of America praised Ms. Norton as "outstanding." Defenders of Wildlife said, in a two-word press release, "Good riddance."

Ms. Norton, who turns 52 on Saturday, said in a letter to the president that her department had "climbed the mountaintop" in achieving its goals and that "now I feel it is time for me to leave this mountain that you gave me to climb, catch my breath, then set my sites on new goals to achieve in the private sector." A former attorney general of Colorado, she said she and her husband, John, wanted to go back to be "closer to the mountains we love in the West."

Ms. Norton was one of four survivors from Mr. Bush's original cabinet. Those remaining from that group are Donald H. Rumsfeld at the Defense Department, Elaine G. Chao at Labor, and Norman Y. Mineta at Transportation.

The White House said in a statement that Ms. Northon had "been a strong advocate for the wise use and protection of our nation's natural resources."
http://www.nytimes.com/2006/03/10/po...nd-norton.html
Old 03-10-06, 05:23 PM
DVD Talk God

How much of this is due to the Jack Abramoff scandal?
Old 03-10-06, 05:23 PM
DVD Talk God

I only hope that Cheney continues the trend next week.
Old 03-10-06, 05:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by classicman2
More than we will ever know, I suspect.
Old 03-10-06, 05:38 PM
DVD Talk God

Maybe she wants to become a lobbyist.

It was her deputy (I can't remember his name) who was really involved in the Abramoff mess.
Old 03-10-06, 05:38 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Madison, WI ("77 square miles surrounded by reality")
We can only hope that her replacement will be another who keeps the environmentalists at bay. That is one of the very, very few things Bush has done at least partly right.
Old 03-10-06, 05:39 PM
DVD Talk God

I believe that Sen. Ted Stevens of Alaska doesn't believe she was agressive enough in her support of ANWR drilling.
Old 03-10-06, 06:16 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Madison, WI ("77 square miles surrounded by reality")
I believe that Sen. Ted Stevens of Alaska doesn't believe she was agressive enough in her support of ANWR drilling.
I said, partly right.
Old 03-10-06, 08:23 PM
X
Administrator

Originally Posted by LurkerDan
Wow, cannot believe this hasn't been posted yet!
Maybe nobody felt the cutting and pasting was worth the effort? Just like this one...

Former White House Adviser ArrestedFormer White House Adviser, Onetime No. 2 at Homeland Security, Arrested on Theft Charges
By STEPHEN MANNING

COLLEGE PARK, Md. Mar 10, 2006 (AP) A former domestic policy adviser to President Bush has been charged with theft for allegedly receiving phony refunds at department stores.

Claude Alexander Allen, 45, was arrested Thursday by Montgomery County police for allegedly claiming refunds for more than $5,000 worth of merchandise he did not buy, according to county and federal authorities.

Allen was the No. 2 official in the Health and Human Services Department when Bush nominated him in April 2003 to the 4th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals in Richmond, Va. Bush nominated to the court again a year later, but Allen never received a Senate vote.

During his confirmation hearing, Allen was questioned about his use of the word "queer" when he was a press aide to Sen. Jesse Helms, R-N.C., in 1984. Allen said he didn't intend it as a slur against gay people.

In early 2005, Bush hired Allen as a domestic policy adviser. He resigned abruptly on Feb. 9, saying he wanted to spend more time with his family.

Calls to Allen's home in Gaithersburg, a Washington suburb, were not returned. The White House also did not return calls seeking comment.

Allen has been under investigation since at least January for the alleged thefts on 25 different occasions at Target and Hecht's stores, a police spokesman, Lt. Eric Burnett, said. Police reviewed his credit card records to track his purchase.

Police believe Allen would buy items, take them to his car, then return to the store with his receipt. He would select the same items, then take them to the store return desk and show the receipt from the first purchase. Using that method, he would receive credit for the second items on his credit cards, Burnett said.

Allen was allegedly seen Jan. 2 at a Target in Gaithersburg taking items off the shelf that he then took the return desk. He had a receipt for the merchandise, was given a refund and left.

The items he allegedly received fraudulent refunds for include clothing, a Bose theater system and stereo equipment. Some purchases were as little as $2.50.

Allen was released on his own recognizance by a Montgomery District Court judge.

Before joining the Bush administration, Allen was Virginia Health and Human Resources secretary.

http://www.abcnews.go.com/Politics/wireStory?id=1712023
Oops.
Old 03-10-06, 08:26 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

But I bet he had a great resume.
Old 03-10-06, 09:16 PM
DVD Talk God

Get someone who will open up ANWAR like the slutty whore she is.
Old 03-10-06, 09:24 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by kvrdave
Get someone who will open up ANWAR like the slutty whore she is.
It would have been opened if it hadn't been for your party in the House.
Old 03-10-06, 09:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I only hope that Cheney continues the trend next week.
Not likely, it'd take Cheney a week to find the definition of resiging in the dictionary

Old 03-10-06, 10:08 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Old 03-10-06, 11:16 PM
DVD Talk God

It would have been opened if it hadn't been for your party in the House.
Your saying that the majority of Republicans stopped the majority of Democrats from passing this?
Old 03-10-06, 11:57 PM

Originally Posted by Canadian Bacon
Not likely, it'd take Cheney a week to find the definition of resiging in the dictionary

Bush would never accept it, Cheney is the best Secret Service agent he could ever get.
Old 03-11-06, 07:21 AM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by kvrdave
Your saying that the majority of Republicans stopped the majority of Democrats from passing this?
Look to see what your Republican leadership did in the House on this issue.