Religion, Politics and World Events They make great dinner conversation, don't you think? plus Political Film

New Jersey Governor bails out stalker

Old 03-09-06, 12:56 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

New Jersey Governor bails out stalker

http://www.nj.com/news/ledger/index....470.xml&coll=1

This is just one crazy story. The women gets arrested for breaking into the guys car and stalking. She gets one phone call. Who does she call, the Governor.

The guy being stalked was a county official. The car that was broken into was a county vehicle, probably being used either for personal use or on democratic party business. This is being investigated.

The governor bails her out. She is a lobbyist. So the governor is either giving a gift to a lobbyist, which is against the rules. Or, he is giving the lobbyist a loan, which is also against the rules. At least that is what the local radio station was saying this morning.

This won't get much play outside of NJ, but there will end up being more to this story.
Old 03-09-06, 12:59 PM
DVD Talk Ruler

Originally Posted by tcoursen
http://www.nj.com/news/ledger/index....470.xml&coll=1

This is just one crazy story. The women gets arrested for breaking into the guys car and stalking. She gets one phone call. Who does she call, the Governor.

The guy being stalked was a county official. The car that was broken into was a county vehicle, probably being used either for personal use or on democratic party business. This is being investigated.

The governor bails her out. She is a lobbyist. So the governor is either giving a gift to a lobbyist, which is against the rules. Or, he is giving the lobbyist a loan, which is also against the rules. At least that is what the local radio station was saying this morning.

This won't get much play outside of NJ, but there will end up being more to this story.
If it's his own money, I don't see a problem here. If it's government money he used to bail her out then I see a HUGE issue. I don't think bail money to equate to giving a lobbyist a loan or a gift. That's just my opinion.
Old 03-09-06, 01:07 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by General Zod
If it's his own money, I don't see a problem here. If it's government money he used to bail her out then I see a HUGE issue. I don't think bail money to equate to giving a lobbyist a loan or a gift. That's just my opinion.
So it's only a gift if it doesn't come from his own money? That makes no sense.

The last scandal with Corzine was that he gave money to his girlfriend to buy a house. At first it was called a loan. Then when it came out that she never paid it back it became a gift. Oh yeah, the girlfriend, was the head of the union that represents state workers. A union that heavily endorsed and supported his campaign. A union that he negotiates contracts with. etc. etc. 500K for support of the union and favorable treatment. But, since it came from his own money, I guess that is OK.

Lets also not forget that the women he bailed out is accused of breaking into a STATE OWNED VEHICLE. The man she is accused of stalking is a STATE ASSEMBLYMAN. I'm just not sure it is very wise of the governor to be bailing out somebody that broke into and damage state property while stalking a state official.

Last edited by tcoursen; 03-09-06 at 01:17 PM.
Old 03-09-06, 01:56 PM
DVD Talk Hero

one of the joys of living in NYC is reading these non-stop stories out of NJ. It never ends.
Old 03-09-06, 02:04 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by tcoursen
Lets also not forget that the women he bailed out is accused of breaking into a STATE OWNED VEHICLE. The man she is accused of stalking is a STATE ASSEMBLYMAN. I'm just not sure it is very wise of the governor to be bailing out somebody that broke into and damage state property while stalking a state official.
Sounds almost mafia like!

I wonder if he was paying her to stalk him!