Religion, Politics and World Events They make great dinner conversation, don't you think? plus Political Film

Katherine Harris' Poetic Justice

Old 03-06-06, 01:38 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Katherine Harris' Poetic Justice

Harris Requested Funds At Behest of Contractor
By Charles R. Babcock
Washington Post Staff Writer
Saturday, March 4, 2006; A06

Rep. Katherine Harris (R-Fla.) has acknowledged that she requested last year that $10 million in federal funds be set aside for a Navy intelligence program in her district at the request of Washington contractor Mitchell J. Wade, who pleaded guilty last week to bribing another House member.

Harris, who gained notoriety as secretary of state in Florida during the contested Bush-Gore presidential race in 2000, is running for the Senate this year. News media in her home state have been focusing on her dealings with Wade since prosecutors disclosed last week that she was the unwitting recipient of $32,000 in illegal campaign donations from Wade in 2004.

In a statement Thursday, Harris said: "I never requested funding for this project in exchange for any contributions, but rather to bring more high-skill, high-wage jobs to the region."

In court filings as part of Wade's plea for bribing convicted former representative Randy "Duke" Cunningham (R-Calif.), prosecutors said Wade had had dinner with Harris early last year and discussed another fundraising event and possible funding for an unnamed Navy counterintelligence program. The court filing said the project was not funded but did not address whether Harris sought funding. She did not respond to questions about such a request last week.

On Thursday, she released copies of letters she sent to appropriations subcommittee chairmen in 2004 and 2005 requesting funding for more than 80 specific projects. She said she was doing so to bring transparency to the appropriations process, and that she supports identifying the individuals and organizations making the requests.

Last year, she first requested five defense projects totaling $15.8 million. A month later, she wrote another letter to Reps. C.W. Bill Young (R-Fla.) and John P. Murtha (D-Pa.), the senior members of the panel, adding the Wade project. It was for Naval Criminal Investigative Service airborne capability, which she placed third on her list of funding priorities. She said it was "to support counterintelligence and combating terrorism missions."

Harris said she has not been contacted by any officials regarding the incident.
Old 03-06-06, 01:41 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

"Poetic Justice"?

That phrase combined with your silly election 2000-related picture suggests you think Harris did something wrong in that election.

Please tell me what it is, exactly, that she did wrong at all during election 2000? For a woman so villified, I have never once gotten anything resembling a reasonable answer to this question.
Old 03-06-06, 01:41 PM
Admin-Thanos

Couldn't happen to a nicer person.
Old 03-06-06, 01:44 PM
DVD Talk Hero

natesfortune - you mean besides being a shill for the Bush campaign?
Old 03-06-06, 02:02 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by CRM114
natesfortune - you mean besides being a shill for the Bush campaign?
Great answer Beats providing an actual answer.

And in regard to this article, what exactly did she do wrong? Besides the shill thing.
Old 03-06-06, 02:09 PM
Banned

Ahhh...... I remebered how the Dems cried to her when she didn't extend the deadline in the 00 elections.
Old 03-06-06, 02:11 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by cpgator
And in regard to this article, what exactly did she do wrong? Besides the shill thing.
Took $32000 from the same guy that "funded" Duke Cunningham. And attempted to quid pro quo.
Old 03-06-06, 02:13 PM
Banned

You see the difference. She admits it unlike "Sreaming Dean".
BTW, George Clooney didn't win. You must be disappointed.
Old 03-06-06, 02:17 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Myster X
You see the difference. She admits it unlike "Sreaming Dean".
BTW, George Clooney didn't win. You must be disappointed.
Yes, he did. It was the first award of the night. Best Supporting Actor for Syriana.

She admitted it because she was caught red handed!
Old 03-06-06, 02:19 PM
bhk
DVD Talk Legend

This is great. Terrorists and the inmates at guantanamo are innocent until proven guilty and Ms. Harris is guilty but hasn't been charged with a crime.
Old 03-06-06, 02:19 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Nice unbiased reporting.
"who gained notoriety as secretary of state in Florida during the contested Bush-Gore presidential race in 2000"

"notoriety". How about "nationwide recognition" or something like that?

"she was the unwitting recipient of $32,000 in illegal campaign donations"
Unwitting? Kinda like pretty much everyone received money from Abramoff?

So she asked for federal money, and talked to someone about the projects she was considering. I don't see the 'news'.

Oh, and what she did in 2000--How DARE she actually want the duly-voted/written laws applied.
Old 03-06-06, 02:22 PM
DVD Talk God

Speaking of the 2000 Florida presidential election - is the recount still going on?
Old 03-06-06, 02:23 PM
Banned

She admitted it because she was caught red handed!
You still don't see the difference.
When will Dean admit the Dems took money from Abramoff?
Old 03-06-06, 02:26 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by dtcarson
"she was the unwitting recipient of $32,000 in illegal campaign donations"
Unwitting? Kinda like pretty much everyone received money from Abramoff?
Exactly - why is this even a story? And if CRM114 really believes it is worthy, why not post about all the dems who received donations? Can't answer what she did wrong during the 00 election, and now posts a non-story about her.
Old 03-06-06, 02:32 PM
Banned

Lambasting me for posting a non-story relating to the Oscars and now he's posting a non-story.
Old 03-06-06, 02:34 PM
DVD Talk Hero

When she withdraws from the Senate race, I suppose the Reps will understand the gravity.
Old 03-06-06, 02:35 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Myster X
Lambasting me for posting a non-story relating to the Oscars and now he's posting a non-story.
I never lambasted you. Check again.
Old 03-06-06, 02:36 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Mitchell Wade bribed Katherine Harris but its a non story.
Old 03-06-06, 02:36 PM
DVD Talk God

When she withdraws from the Senate race, I suppose the Reps will understand the gravity.
You've been listening to Pharoh again.
Old 03-06-06, 02:38 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by classicman2
You've been listening to Pharoh again.
Must be nonsense if a bleeding heart like Pharoh is predicting it.
Old 03-06-06, 02:38 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I have noticed that when you can't answer a question, or can't back up your point, you just resort to the laughing smiley. Is that intentional?
Old 03-06-06, 02:40 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by cpgator
I have noticed that when you can't answer a question, or can't back up your point, you just resort to the laughing smiley. Is that intentional?
What question can't I answer? And what exactly is your point besides being adversarial for no reason?
Old 03-06-06, 02:46 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

What question can't I answer? And what exactly is your point besides being adversarial for no reason?
The two questions are what did she do wrong during the 00 election, and what did she do wrong here? All I got from the article was that she was the unwitting recipient of a donation from someone who was involved in illegal dealings with someone else. If that is your whole point of posting this, I am guessing you have a lot more posting to do.

And I am not tring to be adversarial - just pointing out that you throw that smiley around a lot in your discussions.
Old 03-06-06, 02:47 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

The article said she was the "unwitting" recipient of the donations. Big deal. All she has to do is just give the money back. That is what the Dems always do when they get caught.

I also liked the very LAST line of the whole article. "Harris said she has not been contacted by any officials regarding the incident." So they aren't even investigating it or anything like that. So it can't be all that bad if they aren't even investigating and talking to her about it.

She represents her district. She is supposed to get contracts and money for her district. I don't see the problem with requesting these contacts. All she did is request the money, probably like dozens and dozens of other representatives. It isn't like she did what Cunningham was doing and pocketing the money, and it isn't like she had control over how the contracts where given out. All she did was make a request.
Old 03-06-06, 02:52 PM
DVD Talk Hero

"Unwitting" I love that one.

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.