Religion, Politics and World Events They make great dinner conversation, don't you think? plus Political Film

A Glimpse Of The US: Muslim Student Uses Car Intending To Kill

Old 03-05-06, 12:06 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

A Glimpse Of The US: Muslim Student Uses Car Intending To Kill

And so it begins folks.

http://www.myrtlebeachonline.com/mld...l/14013509.htm

CHAPEL HILL, N.C. - A recent University of North Carolina graduate faces attempted murder charges after a sport utility vehicle raced through a popular campus gathering spot Friday, hurting nine people and scattering startled bystanders.

Six people - five students and a visiting scholar - were treated for minor injuries and released from UNC Hospitals, the university said in a statement. Three other people declined treatment at the scene, police said.

Mohammed Reza Taheri-azar, 22, who graduated in December with a double major in psychology and philosophy, was being held Friday by campus police. They intend to charge him with nine counts of attempted murder and nine counts of assault with a deadly weapon with intent to kill, said Capt. George Hare of the UNC Department of Public Safety.

The FBI joined the case because Taheri-azar, a native of, "allegedly made statements that he acted to avenge the American treatment of Muslims. The ongoing investigation will work to confirm this," said Special Agent Richard Kolko, an FBI spokesman in Washington.

Taheri-azar called police to surrender and then awaited officers on a side street about two miles away from campus, Chapel Hill police Capt. Brian Curran said.

"He kind of gave himself up," said Officer Herbert Bryant of the university's Department of Public Safety.

A bomb squad searched Taheri-azar's apartment in nearby Carrboro and declared the building safe. Taheri-azar encouraged authorities to check the apartment after he was arrested.

"He said it almost in a baiting type of way," Carrboro police spokesman Capt. Joel Booker said.

Local authorities declined to say what they found in Taheri-azar's apartment or to discuss a motive. Investigators continued to search the apartment Friday night for other evidence, Booker said.

The incident happened just before noon near the center of campus at the area known as The Pit, a sunken, brick-paved area surrounded by two libraries, a dining hall and the student union. It does not have any easy access points for vehicles and can't be reached without deliberation.

"I see everyone kind of part because there's a car coming through and the next thing I know, I'm on his windshield," sophomore Jeff Hoffman, his arm in a bandage, told the campus newspaper, The Daily Tar Heel.
Student Nicholas Altman was talking on his cell phone when he heard someone scream.

"I turned around and there was a white SUV. It looked like it hit a couple of people. One person in particular went over the hood," he told WRAL-TV.
On a sunny, cool day like Friday, the Pit is a busy center of campus activities, with students perched along the walkways and steps. Friday's noontime crowd included a gathering of candidates for Black Student Movement elections.

"He slowly came in, and I thought he was going to stop or something," sophomore Scott Wilson, a candidate for BSM vice president, told The Daily Tar Heel. "But then he sped right through."
The incident came a week after a UNC dormitory resident adviser was killed when he and another student crashed through a dorm window, falling four stories onto the concrete below. The second student remains hospitalized in fair condition.

Last month, Muslim students at UNC protested the publication in The Daily Tar Heel of an original cartoon depicting the prophet Muhammad. Islam is interpreted to forbid any illustrations of Muhammad for fear they could lead to idolatry. The recent publication of a series of cartoons of Muhammad in European newspapers sparked violent protests in the Middle East and elsewhere.

The Muslim Students Association, which was among the leading critics of the cartoon, said Teheri-azar had never been a member of the group and denounced him on its Web site.

"Regardless of what his intentions prove to be, we wholeheartedly deplore this action, and trust that our fellow classmates will be able to dissociate the actions of this one disturbed individual from the beliefs of the Muslim community as a whole," the statement said. "Peace be upon you all."

-----

Eventually, we'll have abandoned cars by shopping malls and grocery stores being blown up, and suicide bombings. This recent story is just a glimpse of what is about to come to the US.
Old 03-05-06, 12:11 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by DVD Polizei
Eventually, we'll have abandoned cars by shopping malls and grocery stores being blown up, and suicide bombings. This recent story is just a glimpse of what is about to come to the US.
I think that's probably right.

But I don't think this case is a harbinger of it.

This guy doesn't seem connected to any larger organization. He's just some crazy guy who just graduated from college and did a violent thing. The "treatment of Muslims" thing just comes off like the kind of excuse that lots of crazy people use when they do violent things.

But yes, we better realize that we are in a war of civilizations, and do everything we can to make sure Western civilization is the winner of that war. Because the Islamofascists will accept only two outcomes - victory or death. This is not hyperbole. This is by their own doctrine and the commandment of their religion.
Old 03-05-06, 02:04 AM
DVD Talk God

I'm just happy there was a group of Muslims who didn't kill people because a cartoon had Mohammed in it. They are like black pearls, I would guess.
Old 03-05-06, 06:45 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by natesfortune
Because the Islamofascists will accept only two outcomes - victory or death. This is not hyperbole. This is by their own doctrine and the commandment of their religion.

So I have to support "plan B" in this thread, too? Fine.
Old 03-05-06, 08:08 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

My, my, this is a bit alarmist of you. It's just one guy going berserk. As natesfortune said he's just using as an excuse. He probably just wanted some attention.
Old 03-05-06, 09:54 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I guess when UNC forces their students to stop jaywalking the cars just have to come after them.
Old 03-05-06, 11:45 AM
Banned

eh..... it's only one radical we got to deal with..... Besides, the university probably misunderstand his intention. His lawyer might say Taheri-azar is testing out the airbags. Move along, nothing to see here.
Old 03-05-06, 03:30 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by joeydaninja
My, my, this is a bit alarmist of you. It's just one guy going berserk. As natesfortune said he's just using as an excuse. He probably just wanted some attention.

"That's exactly what I think. All we want is some attention. And no, that's not a camel penis in my hand."
Old 03-05-06, 03:53 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

"That's exactly what I think. All we want is some attention. And no, that's not a camel penis in my hand."
It's not fair to equate this guy to OBL.

There is no evidence at all that this guy is linked to any organization. This wasn't a well-executed terrorist attack. It was just some disgruntled guy that went bonkers and drove a car into some people.
Old 03-05-06, 04:29 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

I didn't say he was linked to ANY organization. And I'm not equating him to OBL. I guess my image of OBL and my quote was confusing.

Since when do you have to be linked to a terrorist group to inflict damage to the US? We're going to see many non-organizational individuals committing acts of terrorism in the future. It'll be just like Israel and the Palestinians.

And being disgruntled is exactly what terroristm is. You don't like the current status quo, so you go out and kill others to make people listen to your ways. That's terrorism. It's more condensed, but that's terrorism.

Terrorism does not require a group. It can be one single person who is outraged at a society which does not behave in the manner he or she likes.

Ted K...

Last edited by DVD Polizei; 03-05-06 at 04:32 PM.
Old 03-05-06, 08:11 PM
DVD Talk Ruler

My tinfoil hat o-meter didn't go off when I heard about this. I do find it odd that he was a double major in psychology and philosophy and then he goes and does something brianless like this.
Old 03-05-06, 08:54 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Since when do you have to be linked to a terrorist group to inflict damage to the US?
You mean to commit a crime?
Old 03-05-06, 08:58 PM
bhk
DVD Talk Legend

heard about this. I do find it odd that he was a double major in psychology and philosophy and then he goes and does something brianless like this.
I thought it fit perfectly. There is a joke amond physicians that psychiatrists go into the field that they go into because they want to cure themselves.
Old 03-05-06, 09:41 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by Thor Simpson
You mean to commit a crime?
Well, yes, terrorism is a crime. Of course, the US has a history of trying to NOT categorize it in the legal sense, making it immune from the normal processes of being convicted of a crime.
Old 03-05-06, 10:49 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by bhk
I thought it fit perfectly. There is a joke amond physicians that psychiatrists go into the field that they go into because they want to cure themselves.
That is too funny, because there is a joke among psychologists that psychiatrists go into the field they go into because they couldn't cut it in any other area if medicine. They get no love from anyone.

And as a psychologist, I would like to disagree with your joke, but unfortunately I know too many other psychologists.

Last edited by dave-o; 03-06-06 at 10:54 AM.
Old 03-05-06, 11:20 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Well, yes, terrorism is a crime.
I guess I should have asked, how did this guy do "damage to the US" in a manner beyond other crimes that you wouldn't classify as "terrorism?"
Old 03-05-06, 11:27 PM
Suspended

Yet again, immigration and 'multiculturalism' fails.
Old 03-05-06, 11:48 PM
DVD Talk God

I thought posting pictures of Mohammed would get you killed.

I always like you.
Old 03-06-06, 01:01 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by Thor Simpson
I guess I should have asked, how did this guy do "damage to the US" in a manner beyond other crimes that you wouldn't classify as "terrorism?"
...the unlawful use of -- or threatened use of -- force or violence against individuals or property to coerce or intimidate governments or societies, often to achieve political, religious, or ideological objectives

1) He's intimidating the US Society.

2) He's attempting to achieve a religious/political and ideological end by stating he's avenging the deaths of Muslims.

It will be VERY unfortunate if the US does not prosecute this man under terrorism laws. Apparently, the common thought going around is, "but he wasn't associated with any group." Well, that doesn't matter. Terrorists can act alone, have acted alone in the past, and will do so in the future.

We have individuals who plan attacks on the US and they are arrested under terrorism laws, so why doesn't a Muslim student, plowing his vehicle into other students within the US, and stating he is avending his Muslim Brothers deaths abroad, count as terrorism. The US better not back down on their War On Terror, or it will once again come across as a complete waste of time, and a joke.

----

Terrorism is a classification. It's also a governmental classification. The classification has nothing to do with one action being more harmful than the other. And actually, a person convicted of mass murder could do more harm than a person charged with a "terrorist act".

I don't necessarily agree with how the classification works. It reminds of Hate Crime legislation. Unfortunately, the Bush Administration has used its terrorism classifications negligently in many situations, and I sincerely hope they step up to the plate and charge this dumbass with terrorism and send the little fucker to Gitmo. This is a person who deserves to go to Gitmo. He demonstrated clear actions against US citizens.

If the US doesn't prosecute this guy under terrorism, then it only goes to show how much of a joke this War On Terror really is.
Old 03-06-06, 07:30 AM
Admin-Thanos

That's a worse case scenario. I don't see that happening at this point though. So far, I don't see this incident as an indicator of anything more ominous on the horizon for the US.
Old 03-06-06, 12:33 PM
Suspended

It will happen because:

1. our borders are wide open.
2. immigration, which should basically just be cut off, since we dont need more people.
Old 03-06-06, 12:42 PM
Banned

racial profiling will soon be a reality if that's the case
Old 03-06-06, 12:54 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I'm more concerned about the anti-SUV stance taken in the first line.

"A recent University of North Carolina graduate faces attempted murder charges after a sport utility vehicle raced through a popular campus gathering spot Friday,"

What, was the SUV the graduate? No one was driving the car? In that entire article, it doesn't clearly state that.
And I thought Maximum Overdrive was just a movie.
Old 03-06-06, 01:45 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by Myster X
racial profiling will soon be a reality if that's the case
I'm not sure you need racial profiling to find terrorists. And since this is the US, we will more than likely see white males taking up the Muslim cause, sporting beards and carrying out attacks. We have a lot of sympathetic white men in the US who would carry out attacks. Of course, the difference is, these white males don't want to blow themselves up in the process.
Old 03-06-06, 02:15 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Nooooooooooooo!!

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.