Religion, Politics and World Events They make great dinner conversation, don't you think? plus Political Film

R.I.P. Harry Browne

Old 03-02-06, 06:44 PM
Political Exile

R.I.P. Harry Browne

I voted for this guy twice. I've seen him speak on TV. He would have kicked butt in the debates, if he had been allowed to participate in them.

http://www.upi.com/NewsTrack/view.ph...2-054923-6723r

Harry Browne, Libertarian candidate, dies

FRANKLIN, Tenn., March 2 (UPI) -- Harry Browne, a two-time Libertarian Party candidate for U.S. president, has died at the age of 72.

Browne died Wednesday at his home in Franklin, Tenn. He had suffered from amyotrophic lateral sclerosis -- Lou Gehrig's disease -- for some time, a publicist said.

Browne led the Libertarian Party ticket in 1996 and 2000, collecting 485,798 votes the first time he ran for president and 384,431 the second, the party said in a release.

He was a well-known motivational speaker and the author of 12 books, including "How I Found Freedom in an Unfree World," "Why Government Doesn't Work" and "The Great Libertarian Offer." He also founded DownsizeDC.org, a group aimed at reducing the size of government, a basic tenet of the Libertarian Party.

Browne also wrote books giving investment advice.

He is survived by his wife and daughter.
Old 03-02-06, 09:12 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I had no idea he was that old. I was one of those 384,431 in 2000. R.I.P. Harry.
Old 03-02-06, 09:55 PM
bhk
DVD Talk Legend

RIP

His death reduces the libertarian population in this country by 25%.
Old 03-02-06, 10:00 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by bhk
RIP

His death reduces the libertarian population in this country by 25%.
Was that nice?
Old 03-02-06, 10:25 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Madison, WI ("77 square miles surrounded by reality")
I haven't voted since I voted for Ed Clark for President in 1980 (about 920,000 votes and 1.25% IIRC, still by far the best ever total for a Libertarian Presidential candidate; and I think it would have been significantly higher but for Anderson). Browne was far more well-known than Clark (it's all relative but Browne had written best-selling books), yet did far worse. Still, he will be missed.

Correction: Clark got 921,168 (sources vary a little) votes (1.06%). He got 12%(!) in Alaska.

Last edited by movielib; 03-03-06 at 08:46 AM.
Old 03-02-06, 10:42 PM
bhk
DVD Talk Legend

Was that nice?
It was said without a gram of malice.
Old 03-03-06, 03:40 AM
Political Exile

I thought it was hilarious!
Old 03-03-06, 07:29 AM
DVD Talk God

One of only 3 men who have gotten (earned) my vote for President, so he will be missed.
Old 03-03-06, 07:45 AM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by Red Dog
One of only 3 men who have gotten (earned) my vote for President, so he will be missed.
'earned my vote'

Tell me you're not serious.
Old 03-03-06, 07:52 AM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by classicman2
'earned my vote'

Tell me you're not serious.

Sure I am. I didn't vote for the office of President in 2004. Why not? Because none of the candidates had earned my vote. You've read enough of my posts to know this is the method I use to vote in elections, as opposed to the 'lesser of 2 evil' mentality.
Old 03-03-06, 07:56 AM

Browne was a much better candidate than Badnarik. He will be missed.

I think the fundamental problem with libertarianism in the US is not that its policies are unpalatable to most Americans, but rather that trying to organize libertarians is like herding cats. As a group we are far too stubborn, independent-minded, and just plain ornery.
Old 03-03-06, 07:58 AM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by wendersfan
I think the fundamental problem with libertarianism in the US is not that its policies are unpalatable to most Americans, but rather that trying to organize libertarians is like herding cats. As a group we are far too stubborn, independent-minded, and just plain ornery.

That and many folks who are libertarian (or at least lean more libertarian than conservative) don't realize it. That was me until 1999.
Old 03-03-06, 11:38 AM
DVD Talk Hero

I would never have voted for Harry Browne (and didn't), but I think it is a shame he didn't get to participate in the debates. If I were running the world, in each presidential election cycle, there would be one debate that included the Libertarians, the Greens, the Constitution Party, and all the rest. I think they're all kooky to varying degrees, but there can be some value to seeing how the more mainstream candidates interact with the kooks.

Plus it might make some of my fellow posters realize how unworkable a libertarian presidency would be in 21st century America.
Old 03-03-06, 11:52 AM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by wendersfan
Hmm! That's the only problem with Americans have with libertarianism?

I'll tell you why the American people don't buy it - would you like for me to tell you?
Old 03-03-06, 12:09 PM

Originally Posted by classicman2
Hmm! That's the only problem with Americans have with libertarianism?

I'll tell you why the American people don't buy it - would you like for me to tell you?
Don't bother. I'm already aware of the fact a lot of Americans pay lip service to the idaes of individual responsibility and self sufficiency, but what they really want is a governmental safety blanket to keep them warm and safe.
Old 03-03-06, 12:25 PM
DVD Talk God

Absolutely!

I'm firmly convinced that the more the average American really knew about libertarianim, the further he'd run from it like a scared biddy.
Old 03-05-06, 01:24 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I would like to see the Republican and Democratic Parties replaced by the Libertarians and Greens as the primary conservative and liberal parties.

The R/D majority system is so corrupt and obsessed with maintaining its own status quo that it's worthless to effectively govern.

Last edited by Josh-da-man; 03-05-06 at 01:30 PM.
Old 03-05-06, 02:04 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man
I would like to see the Republican and Democratic Parties replaced by the Libertarians and Greens as the primary conservative and liberal parties.
The problem with that is that, in very many ways, libertarianism is in no way "conservative."

I find myself split about down the middle in agreeing with liberals and agreeing with conservatives (and sometimes disagreeing with both) on issues we bring up here.

The R/D majority system is so corrupt and obsessed with maintaining its own status quo that it's worthless to effectively govern.
That's very true. Unfortunately, I think if the Greens or the Libertarians gained much power the corrupting forces (mostly power itself) would work on them too. I'd like to think the Libertarians could resist it better than others and maybe they could. But they are hardly immune.

What Libertarians would have to do is dismantle most of the power structure before it corrupted them. That could be an interesting race.

Last edited by movielib; 03-05-06 at 02:37 PM.
Old 03-05-06, 04:41 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by movielib
The problem with that is that, in very many ways, libertarianism is in no way "conservative."

I find myself split about down the middle in agreeing with liberals and agreeing with conservatives (and sometimes disagreeing with both) on issues we bring up here.
I've generally found that libertarians feel more comfortable ganging up with conservaties and attacking liberals than they do with ganging up with liberals and attacking conservatives.

And, again, it seems that most libertarians would feel more comfortable with a conservative label than liberal label. (As far as my personal politics go, I'm probably a moderate libertarian; I agree with many libertarian positions but tend to be a bit more moderate in economics and lean a bit away from the laissez-faire capitalism most adhere to religiously. And it's generally the liberal-hate that keeps me from identifying with the libertarian label. And besides, my long-term girlfriend is a hardcore liberal. )

And the Green Party is pretty much a liberal party, so there you go.

Originally Posted by movielib
That's very true. Unfortunately, I think if the Greens or the Libertarians gained much power the corrupting forces (mostly power itself) would work on them too. I'd like to think the Libertarians could resist it better than others and maybe they could. But they are hardly immune.

What Libertarians would have to do is dismantle most of the power structure before it corrupted them. That could be an interesting race.
I think, ideally, parties should turn over every generation or two.

So in the next decade we have Libertarians vs. Greens, and it stays that way until 2060 or so when the system corrupts the Libs and Greens, we would have the Technocrats and Cyberanarchists waiting to usurp them.

When they outlive their usefulness, they go the way of the Federalists, Whigs, and Anti-Masonic Parties.

Last edited by Josh-da-man; 03-05-06 at 04:45 PM.
Old 03-05-06, 04:45 PM
DVD Talk God

I've generally found that libertarians feel more comfortable ganging up with conservaties and attacking liberals than they do with ganging up with liberals and attacking conservatives.

I don't think this is wrong overall because the wallet generally trumps. However, with the exception of a few unnamed dvdtalk libertarians, I think most libertarians in here are equal opportunity attackers.
Old 03-05-06, 06:44 PM
DVD Talk Hero

And, again, it seems that most libertarians would feel more comfortable with a conservative label than liberal label.
I vociferously reject both labels for myself.

I feel equally dirty siding with either but occasionally one or the other actually sides with freedom on an issue and I'm stuck with it.