Release List Reviews Shop Join News DVD Giveaways Video Games Advertise
DVD Reviews | Theatrical Reviews | Price Search Buy Stuff Here
DVD Talk
DVD Reviews DVD Talk Headlines HD Reviews

Add to My Yahoo! - RSS 2.0 - RSS 2.0 - DVD Talk Podcast RSS -

Go Back   DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk > Religion, Politics and World Events

Religion, Politics and World Events They make great dinner conversation, don't you think? plus Political Film

Old 02-24-06, 02:34 PM   #76
DVD Talk Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhk
Pretty much the reason I stopped nearly completely posting in threads dealing with homosexuality. People get too charged up emotionally.

*my last post in this thread too.
Yeah, when you roundaboutly attack people for who they are, they react emotionally. Who woulda thunk it?
Old 02-24-06, 02:35 PM   #77
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbird2340
So your saying your born with being gay? I personally don't believe that..
So there it is. You don't believe that homosexuality is a genetic trait. I do. But that's fine. At least I now know the source of our disagreement.

Now let me test your theory: If homosexuality is learned, and not genetic, then how do children who grow up in "normal" homes with two straight parents and live otherwise unremarkable childhoods end up being gay? My best friend from when I was a kid had two loving parents who are still married, went to alot of the same schools, grew up in pretty much the exact same environment as I did, and he's gay. I'm straight. How would you explain that?
"An avidity to punish is always dangerous to liberty. It leads men to stretch, to misinterpret, and to misapply even the best of laws. He that would make his own liberty secure must guard even his enemy from oppression; for if he violates this duty he establishes a precedent that will reach to himself." -- Thomas Paine
Old 02-24-06, 02:36 PM   #78

Quote:
So your saying your born with being gay? I personally don't believe that..
I was born straight, so it only makes sense that people who are gay were born gay.
"You concentrate on the sad wanna be hooliganism and let us worry about the actual soccer." - rocketsauce (final score: Columbus 2-Chicago 1)
Old 02-24-06, 02:38 PM   #79
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I wouldn't attempt to try..

I just don't believe that one is born gay.
Michael: When I was five, I imagined that there was such a thing as a unicorn. And this is before I even heard of one or seen one. I just drew a picture of a horse that could fly over rainbows and had a huge spike in its head. I was five, five years old... couldn't even talk yet.

Xbox Live! - Tbird2340
Old 02-24-06, 02:39 PM   #80
Enormous Genitals

Location: a small cottage on a cul de sac in the lower pits of hell.
So...bhk is a switch hitter?

Old 02-24-06, 02:40 PM   #81
DVD Talk God

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildcatLH
So there it is. You don't believe that homosexuality is a genetic trait. I do. But that's fine. At least I now know the source of our disagreement.
Hmmmm, I would say that it is probably a little of both.
“The illegality of cannabis is outrageous, an impediment to full utilization of a drug which helps produce the serenity and insight, sensitivity and fellowship so desperately needed in this increasingly mad and dangerous world.”

― Carl Sagan
Old 02-24-06, 02:41 PM   #82
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Quote:

Do you "believe" that being gay is something that's learned or something that's chosen?
Old 02-24-06, 02:42 PM   #83
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

http://www.medicinenet.com/script/ma...ticlekey=59960

Moms' Genetics Might Help Produce Gay Sons

TUESDAY, Feb. 21 (HealthDay News) -- New research adds a twist to the debate on the origins of sexual orientation, suggesting that the genetics of mothers of multiple gay sons act differently than those of other women.

Scientists found that almost one fourth of the mothers who had more than one gay son processed X chromosomes in their bodies in the same way. Normally, women randomly process the chromosomes in one of two ways -- half go one way, half go the other.

The research "confirms that there is a strong genetic basis for sexual orientation, and that for some gay men, genes on the X chromosome are involved," said study co-author Sven Bocklandt, a postdoctoral researcher at the University of California at Los Angeles.
Old 02-24-06, 02:43 PM   #84
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Quote:

Now let me test your theory: If homosexuality is learned, and not genetic, then how do children who grow up in "normal" homes with two straight parents and live otherwise unremarkable childhoods end up being gay? My best friend from when I was a kid had two loving parents who are still married, went to alot of the same schools, grew up in pretty much the exact same environment as I did, and he's gay. I'm straight. How would you explain that?

I'm like your friend. My best friend and I grew up in the same circumstances, loving household, parents still married, was never exposed to homosexuality while growing up. I'm gay and he is straight. My sister is also straight. I'm attracted to other men. Simple as that.
Old 02-24-06, 02:43 PM   #85
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I don't know if it's genetic, learned or chosen, but it is what is it. You love who you love and no one can change that.
Old 02-24-06, 02:44 PM   #86
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdodd
Do you "believe" that being gay is something that's learned or something that's chosen?
Both. As a child raised be gay parents they come to learn / think that is the way it is.. Then when they get old enough they can choose for themselves.
Michael: When I was five, I imagined that there was such a thing as a unicorn. And this is before I even heard of one or seen one. I just drew a picture of a horse that could fly over rainbows and had a huge spike in its head. I was five, five years old... couldn't even talk yet.

Xbox Live! - Tbird2340
Old 02-24-06, 02:44 PM   #87
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Quote:

So you were born straight but I was not born gay? Hmmmm.
Old 02-24-06, 02:44 PM   #88
Enormous Genitals

Homosexuality is a genetic trait. Tolerance and acceptance of those whose lifestyle differs from your own is learned. Or not.
Old 02-24-06, 02:45 PM   #89
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Quote:
Both. As a child raised be gay parents they come to learn / think that is the way it is.. Then when they get old enough they can choose for themselves.
Do you believe it's possible for you -- you personally -- to choose to be gay?

Edit: what about gay people who were not raised by gay parents, so they didn't "come to learn / think that is the way it is" -- do these people just choose to be gay?
Old 02-24-06, 02:47 PM   #90
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Quote:
So these gay parents never expose their child to anything heterosexual? They never see or interact with straight people/couples, friend's parents? Only if they are locked in the house.
Old 02-24-06, 02:52 PM   #91
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:

There are brothers and sisters raised in the same family where the parents don't smoke and yet some of the kids smoke, and the rest don't. There are others where there is no illegal drug use and yet the kids grow up to be drug addicts. There are still others whose parents were studious and went to college and end up with kids who don't graduate from high school. and on and on.

So I'm not sure what your "test" proves.

For the record, I don't care what "causes" a person to be a homosexual. That doesn't matter to me.
Old 02-24-06, 02:53 PM   #92
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiquidSky
So these gay parents never expose their child to anything heterosexual? They never see or interact with straight people/couples, friend's parents? Only if they are locked in the house.
No, I'm not saying that.. I'm just saying I think they would be influenced that way. Not that they would 100% be gay or 100% be straight in the end..

Xbox Live! - Tbird2340
Old 02-24-06, 02:56 PM   #93
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I'll play devil's advocate here: Let's say that the gay parents do raise the child gay.

If the kid is happy what's wrong?
Quote:
Not that they would 100% be gay or 100% be straight in the end..
As much as we would like to think the opposite, no one is 100% gay or straight.
Old 02-24-06, 03:00 PM   #94
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brain Stew
I'll play devil's advocate here: Let's say that the gay parents do raise the child gay.

If the kid is happy what's wrong?
I didn't say anything was wrong with being happy.

Quote:
As much as we would like to think the opposite, no one is 100% gay or straight.

Xbox Live! - Tbird2340
Old 02-24-06, 03:02 PM   #95
DVD Talk Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by kvrdave
Hmmmm, I would say that it is probably a little of both.
As long as you think that's true for heterosexuality as well, that's a reasonable position.
Old 02-24-06, 03:02 PM   #96
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

No one is totally gay or totally straight. Shades of gray.
Old 02-24-06, 03:02 PM   #97

Where does Anne Heche fall under?

Seriously though, I have heard of women who's hearts have been broken by men. They then find a loving partner - a partner who treats them the way they want to be treated - in another woman.

Women's sexuality is far different than that of men. So, to generalize, I would say that both genetics and choice can play a factor.
Old 02-24-06, 03:03 PM   #98
Enormous Genitals

Quote:

...art...?
Old 02-24-06, 03:04 PM   #99
bhk
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
So...bhk is a switch hitter?
Hey wait a minute...

Hussein Massawi, the former leader of Hezbollah
Old 02-24-06, 03:04 PM   #100

Quote:
For women I agree. For men I disagree.

What turns you on, a Playboy calendar or the local fireman's calendar? I highly doubt it is a little bit of both.