Religion, Politics and World Events They make great dinner conversation, don't you think? plus Political Film

Palestinians boot Jews, now beg them for help

Old 12-23-05, 12:05 AM
Banned

Palestinians boot Jews, now beg them for help

Three more months until that place becomes a wasteland.

http://www.worldnetdaily.com/news/ar...TICLE_ID=48015

The Palestinians who took over the Jewish greenhouses in the Gaza Strip when Israel withdrew its communities from the area now are asking expelled farmers for advice after reportedly failing to reproduce the region's famous insect-free vegetables, WND has learned.

Prior to Israel's August withdrawal, the residents of Gaza's Gush Katif slate of Jewish communities ran greenhouses known for producing high-quality insect-free vegetables. The Gush Katif gardens featured some of the most technologically advanced agricultural equipment and accounted for more than $100 million per year in exports to Europe. The greenhouses also supplied Israel with 75 percent of its own produce.

The hothouses were passed to the Palestinians in September in a $14 million deal brokered by former World Bank President James Wolfenson and several wealthy Jewish Americans.

Earlier this month, the Palestinians now running the greenhouses reportedly told the Israeli-Palestinian Economic Cooperation Fund they failed in their efforts to grow bug-free produce.

Now the Palestinian owners have asked the United States Agency for International Development, which has been involved in reconstruction efforts in Gaza, to hire former Jewish Gaza greenhouse owners as consultants for their declining vegetable businesses.

Eitan Hederi, a former Gaza farmer who represented Gush Katif residents in the Wolfenson greenhouse transfer told WND, "The Palestinians are privately turning to U.S. AID to hire us because we are experts in this kind of farming. It's a really complex process that we engineered."

Anita Tucker, an expelled Gaza resident and one of the pioneer farmers of Gush Katif, told WND, "I am not at all surprised the Palestinians are failing. When they worked in our greenhouses they needed to be monitored closely. Many didn't understand certain things, like not using different kinds of chemicals. Plus when we were in Gaza, our efforts were blessed by God."

Tucker explained she and other Katif farmers engineered agricultural technology specific to the dry, sandy Gaza conditions.

"We used different kinds of netting, also aluminum, since we knew the reflection of the sun kept bugs away," she said. "We used colors because we knew certain kinds of bugs were attracted to or kept away from different colors. We used certain organic insecticides for certain plants, and were very strict about which chemicals we used. We kept our greenhouses as clean as possible. And we also had our own proprietary inventions and technology."

Asked if she would serve as a consultant for the new Palestinian owners of her former greenhouses, Tucker said, "Probably not. We see the terror coming out of Gaza, coming out of the neighborhood I used to live in, and it's just horrible. Hamas has taken over different parts of Gush Katif and are firing rockets into Israel. I am not saying the Palestinian farmers are involved, but it seems they are not doing enough to stop the terror."

Haderi, who says he already has been asked by U.S. AID to consult on greenhouse technology, said, "I am still thinking about it. It's a very difficult decision."
Old 12-23-05, 12:18 AM
Suspended

Haderi should tell US Aid to do it themselves.
Old 12-23-05, 01:15 AM
DVD Talk Legend

... a few tomatoes reportedly blew themselves up ...
Old 12-23-05, 07:59 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Growing plants and building bombs are two totally different skills. Maybe if they studied farming instead...
Old 12-23-05, 08:12 AM
DVD Talk Hero

It doesn't seem as if they really put a whole lot of thought into the takeover/transfer of these greenhouses. What a waste of fucking money.
Old 12-23-05, 08:50 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

They're not really begging for help - they want to hire them as consultants. I'd still tell them to blow it out of their collective ass if I was asked, but there is a difference between begging for help and paying for consulting.
Old 12-23-05, 09:24 AM

Well the Israelis have turned the cultivation of farmland in dusty scrubland into an art form, because they had many decades of practice and the Palestinians, judging from that news article, obviously never had that experience.

Why do we have to gloat and laugh over this? I see this as a problem all round because it's a tragedy that the Israelis have lost their greenhouses in the first place and the problem is compounded by the fact the Palistinians lack the agricultural experience that the Israelis have.
Old 12-23-05, 09:41 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Duran
They're not really begging for help - they want to hire them as consultants. I'd still tell them to blow it out of their collective ass if I was asked, but there is a difference between begging for help and paying for consulting.
If they're turning to Israelis for help, then it's about as close to begging as they can get.
Old 12-23-05, 09:51 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Cancer Man
Well the Israelis have turned the cultivation of farmland in dusty scrubland into an art form, because they had many decades of practice and the Palestinians, judging from that news article, obviously never had that experience.
Strange, I thought it was their homeland?
Old 12-23-05, 09:55 AM
DVD Talk God

There's a huge dispute about that.

Many don't don't it's their homeland.
Old 12-23-05, 10:28 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Why do we have to gloat and laugh over this? I see this as a problem all round because it's a tragedy that the Israelis have lost their greenhouses in the first place and the problem is compounded by the fact the Palistinians lack the agricultural experience that the Israelis have.

Like all the other threads on this topic, this one will stand as proof that there will never be peace between Israelis and Palestinians. But good luck trying to have an intelligent and rational discussion on this issue...
Old 12-23-05, 11:01 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Original Article
Anita Tucker, an expelled Gaza resident and one of the pioneer farmers of Gush Katif, told WND, "I am not at all surprised the Palestinians are failing. When they worked in our greenhouses they needed to be monitored closely. Many didn't understand certain things, like not using different kinds of chemicals.
Yep, they never had that experience alright.
Old 12-23-05, 11:02 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Duran
I think the Palestinians are asking US AID to pay for the consultants as well as hire them. I can understand why the Israelis don't feel much of a sense of charity or desire to work for free. As a US taxpayer, I don't feel a fuck of a lot of charity either, although honestly, a few successful businesses might get their minds off suicide bombs and rocket attacks. I'm glad I don't know shit about farming, because I certainly wouldn't go personally to help out, even if I have little recourse on helping to pay for it.
Old 12-23-05, 11:22 AM
DVD Talk Hero

I'm of two minds on this. On the one hand, you reap what you sow, and the Palestinians have spent decades sowing an antipathy toward their plight. On the other hand, like Old Dude says -- helping them get a successful business of the ground might make them stop trying to kill Israelis and start living their own damned lives. Too, I don't want to lump all Palestinians together -- perhaps these farmers are opposed to suicide bombs and attacks on Israel. Should they be punished simply because they share a nationality with murderers?
Old 12-23-05, 11:28 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Madison, WI ("77 square miles surrounded by reality")
Originally Posted by JasonF
I'm of two minds on this. On the one hand, you reap what you sow, and the Palestinians have spent decades sowing an antipathy toward their plight. On the other hand, like Old Dude says -- helping them get a successful business of the ground might make them stop trying to kill Israelis and start living their own damned lives. Too, I don't want to lump all Palestinians together -- perhaps these farmers are opposed to suicide bombs and attacks on Israel. Should they be punished simply because they share a nationality with murderers?
You are altogether too fair-minded, my friend.

My first reaction is fuck 'em; but you're right.
Old 12-23-05, 11:36 AM

I could sort of see the "poetic justice" in this sort of thing, but as I said earlier this event is not helping either parties.

The Israelis have had decades of cultivated rich crops in a desert region since they have been doing it for many decades since the 1940s or even the 1920s.

The Palestinians, however, have never had the experience of running the complicated irrigation and greenhouse systems that the Israelis have set up, plus the Palestinians lack the education and training in running these Israelis farms, so when they finally get hold of these Israeli farms they fall apart.

And the Israelis and Palistinians are both losers in this case, since they had all that trouble for nothing and they depend on each other a lot more than they both like to admit.

Last edited by Cancer Man; 12-23-05 at 11:40 AM.
Old 12-23-05, 11:42 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by JasonF
Well stated.
Old 12-23-05, 01:14 PM
DVD Talk Hero

But good luck trying to have an intelligent and rational discussion on this issue...
I stand corrected, it is possible after all. I'll take that as a lesson and try to be more like JasonF.
Old 12-23-05, 01:18 PM
Banned

The "what if" game continues....
I guess the Holy land will only reap crops when Jews are occupying.
Old 12-23-05, 01:19 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by eXcentris
I stand corrected, it is possible after all. I'll take that as a lesson and try to be more like JasonF.
Words to live by, people! Words to live by!
Old 12-23-05, 02:06 PM

Posted by Vandelay Inds: No surprise here. Israel is a couple of geological eras ahead of the Palestinians, or for that matter, most of the world.
What an arrogant thing to say.

Although truth be told, much of the middle-east and North Africa is a dustbowl, however there are similar irrigation projects in some of the more well to do Arab and mediterranian nations that are comparable to the irrigation and scrub cultivation found in Israel.

In that region of the world they are cultivating a food supply in an artificial enviroment, so there is a very delicate balance that could easily be f**ked up by irrate Arabs that know squat about farming in a highly arid region.
Old 12-23-05, 02:50 PM

Posted by Vandelay_Inds: The patents/population ratio of Israel is one of the highest in the world.
You mean Israel has a high level of invention patents for a relatively small country?

And this concentration of patents is only match by other relatively small countries/locations that are mostly situated in North America, Europe and East Asia.
Old 12-23-05, 03:32 PM

Vandelay Inds, I see the problems with Israel as the result of when you dump highly educated and hardworking Western thinking people in a region of the world that still in the middle-ages. I see the Isaraelis and Palestinians as the same/similar people anyway, but they are divided by religion, plus 2000 years of either alienation and seperation.

And why are the Palistinians (and other Arab/Berber people) wasting their lives and energy hating Israel, when Israel could be a great friend and benefactor in the middle eastern world with it's knowledge and wealth?

And juding from that green house debacle the Palestians probably need the Israelis more than the Israelis need the Palestinians.

Last edited by Cancer Man; 12-23-05 at 03:39 PM.
Old 12-23-05, 03:56 PM

I never saw Jewish people or Israelis as inherently superior to Muslims or Palestinians, in the same manner that English people were never inherently superior to Indians, even though through a mixture of crazy luck, circumstance and hard work, Israel, a tiny but very powerful nation, is founded in the middle of a very hostile region of the world that would love to see it pushed into the sea and that England, a small and rainy country, managed to conquer an ancient culture with the population in the tens of millions.

I am probably being naive here, but sooner or later, the Palestians would probably grow out of their sour grapes with Israel and get with the 21st century. Give it a century or so.
Old 12-23-05, 04:24 PM

That too is partially the result of circumstance as well as ability, ironically through the Catholic Churches bigoted policies against Jews; Jewish people were forbidden to take part in agriculture, physical labour and other Gentile practices, so they were pushed into marginal occuptions such as money lending and banking.

So you have these small, walled in communities that are fairly wealthy and have the time to persue intellectual persuits, since they are barred from physical labour by the bigoted Christian authorities. So ironically because of persecution, the Jews are able to succeed (or strive to succeed) in other fields such as science through necessity, because they are cut off in other areas of society.

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.