Religion, Politics and World Events They make great dinner conversation, don't you think? plus Political Film

King Kong (2005) movie is racist

Old 12-15-05, 11:06 AM
Suspended

King Kong (2005) movie is racist

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article...922429,00.html

So when King Kong unfolded and the 1930s New York crowd scenes were almost devoid of black faces, rather than the 15 per cent you would have expected, and when the first black actors had small non-speaking parts - dancers and the only major black character was the strong caring second officer to the ship's captain - the good and dutiful slave stereotype - I was squirming in my seat.

If I had not been at a premier with my transfixed son I would have been out of the door soon after the wide eyed, homicidal, half dressed, blacker than black natives of Skull Island started cavorting one hour in.
Interesting! Has anyone else noted that blacks seem to have this paranoid view of whites, much in the same way the nazis did of Jews?
Old 12-15-05, 11:09 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Has anyone else noticed that people that ask loaded questions usually have an agenda they're trying to push?
Old 12-15-05, 11:10 AM

Originally Posted by Nonhosonno
Has anyone else noted that blacks seem to have this paranoid view of whites, much in the same way the nazis did of Jews?
I'm sure you noticed that...but I think that sheet you wear over your face probably distorts things a bit.
Old 12-15-05, 11:12 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I haven't seen the 2005 King Kong yet, but I can tell you that the 1933 King Kong was racist and sexist and anti-environment.
Old 12-15-05, 11:15 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Guess because Kong has black fur, it means the honkey's are keeping the brother down when they shoot his monkey butt off the ESB. How about how the black Kong only likes white women and kills off the black ones given to him. Anne Darrow = White She Devil.
Old 12-15-05, 11:16 AM
Suspended

I always got that King Kong was somewhat sexist, but never understood the racist allegations against it...and anti-enviroment is a new one on me too. How is it anti-enviroment? (keeping in mind its been a decade since I've seen the original)
Old 12-15-05, 11:20 AM
Suspended

Originally Posted by TracerBullet
Has anyone else noticed that people that ask loaded questions usually have an agenda they're trying to push?
Its not loaded at all, so I guess you just want to avoid it. I'll ask a more direct, yet rhetorical question.

If non jews kept writing newspaper articles, and non jew activists, kept shouting paranoid accusations against jews (ie: jews blew up the new orleans levies, jews give our kids undeserved bad grades in school, all jews hate non jews etc.) it would be pretty damn racist right? In fact most people would call it the same actions of the nazis!

Yes day after day, whites are attacked as racist, plotting against others, holding everyone else down, the list goes on.

I'm just drawing a comparison. If you can prove it wrong feel free to try.
Old 12-15-05, 11:21 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I always got that King Kong was somewhat sexist, but never understood the racist allegations against it...and anti-enviroment is a new one on me too. How is it anti-enviroment? (keeping in mind its been a decade since I've seen the original)
Well, they didn't exactly paint the natives in nice light. Also, they had the Chinese character on the boat who looked like Charlie Chan and who's only purpose in the story was to speak sterotypical broken English.

The original movie is actually very anti-environment IMO. The characters don't care they are ripping Kong out of his natural environment; the movie is geared more towards being "the ultimate safari" rather than being a story about how man manipulates nature to his whim. It wasn't until the 1976 remake that this component of the story was utilized. The end line is even said without irony, beauty didn't kill the beast, greedy man did.

I prefer the 1976 story to the 1933. And the 1933 special effects to the 76. I'm hoping Jackson can strike a proper balance.

Last edited by Brain Stew; 12-15-05 at 11:24 AM.
Old 12-15-05, 11:29 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Its not loaded at all, so I guess you just want to avoid it. I'll ask a more direct, yet rhetorical question.

If non jews kept writing newspaper articles, and non jew activists, kept shouting paranoid accusations against jews (ie: jews blew up the new orleans levies, jews give our kids undeserved bad grades in school, all jews hate non jews etc.) it would be pretty damn racist right? In fact most people would call it the same actions of the nazis!

Yes day after day, whites are attacked as racist, plotting against others, holding everyone else down, the list goes on.

I'm just drawing a comparison. If you can prove it wrong feel free to try.
I think you're confusing blogs with reputable newspapers.

Can you provide some links to newspaper articles or editorials that say, for instance, "white people blew up the levees"?
Old 12-15-05, 11:33 AM
DVD Talk Legend

King Kong's era was different... let it go people... dont deface this awesome picture.....
Old 12-15-05, 11:33 AM
DVD Talk God

I'm wondering why someone in the US would read the London Times for movie reviews.
Old 12-15-05, 11:36 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Yes, Kong kills all the black women and does not kill Ann Darrow. But doesn't that make perfect sense? She's DIFFERENT from anything he's ever seen, and radically so. There's no question she would take him aback. If Kong was feasting only on white women and then a beautiful black woman came along he'd probably give pause, too. It's not the race, it's the striking originality for Kong that matters.

And I've also heard these tweedy professor types talking about "the white man bringing back a big ape in chains on a ship..."

Well, if one is comparing black people to a giant ape, then I believe that says more about one's own racism than anything else.
Old 12-15-05, 11:37 AM

Originally Posted by Brain Stew
I prefer the 1976 story to the 1933.
You, sir, are worse than Hitler.

The only thing better about the 1976 film:

[Sacrilege]The chick was hotter[/Sacrilege]
Old 12-15-05, 11:39 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Groucho
You, sir, are worse than Hitler.

The only thing better about the 1976 film:

[Sacrilege]The chick was hotter[/Sacrilege]
Yeah, I guess I'm weird in that I don't like hearing a woman scream for an hour .
Old 12-15-05, 11:40 AM
DVD Talk Legend

the only thing good about the 1976 version was the sequel

just kidding
Old 12-15-05, 11:40 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Brain Stew
Yeah, I guess I'm weird in that I don't like hearing a woman scream for an hour .

depends what kind of screaming
Old 12-15-05, 11:41 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I was waiting for that

Don't get me wrong, I think a lot of the dialog in the 76 version was awful. But I don't think the 33 dialog was any better, so I think it's a draw there. I just really liked Jeff Bridges character and the idea that an oil company was the one exploiting Kong this time.
Old 12-15-05, 11:44 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Al Jolson claims King Kong "not racist, Mammy!" Jolson's findings were supported by researchers at the Amos n' Andy Institute For Racial Bias, who responded with a blustery "Holy Mackarel, Kingfish!".

Sarcasm aside: the whole King Kong/racist thing is a hoot.

Last edited by Pointyskull; 12-15-05 at 11:52 AM.
Old 12-15-05, 11:47 AM

Originally Posted by Red Dog
I'm wondering why someone in the US would read the London Times for movie reviews.
You live in a bubble.

Old 12-15-05, 11:54 AM
Suspended

Originally Posted by TracerBullet
I think you're confusing blogs with reputable newspapers.

Can you provide some links to newspaper articles or editorials that say, for instance, "white people blew up the levees"?
You're joking, correct? You do know that several black 'community leaders' from N.O. were in front of CONGRESS saying that the evil white government blew up the levees to flood the black neighborhoods right?

Anyways, you want nazi like paranoid driven articles against whites? Here you go:

Article about 'white priveledge', this guy says that blacks have more health problems because of 'white racism':

http://www.coloradodaily.com/article.../yourtake2.txt

In this one, the Red Cross ( a VOLUNTEER organization) is 'too white':

http://newschannel5.com/content/katrina/14488.asp

Black newspapers find that crying racism can be good for business:

http://www.clevescene.com/issues/200...news/news.html

This one is the best, blacks complain about scarecrows look a little like the KKK:
http://www.wftv.com/news/3614717/detail.html

These are just a few of course, those of us that actually read news know that this is almost a daily occurence. Everything is whiteys fault. So my comparison remains, black columnists and black 'activists' arent any better than WW2 era nazis and their paranoia about Jews.
Old 12-15-05, 12:00 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

2 Things:

1. The Colorado piece is an opinion piece. A lot of people have a lot of crazy opinions. Also, Clevescene seems more like a magazine than a newspaper. I'd take it's opinion reporting with a grain of salt also.
2. The WFTV link doesn't work.
Old 12-15-05, 12:01 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I think you misunderstood what I meant, because those links are basically reports of random black people spouting conspiracy theories.

The Colorado Daily op/ed is about as close as I think you're going to find.
Old 12-15-05, 12:07 PM
Suspended

my original point was this:
Interesting! Has anyone else noted that blacks seem to have this paranoid view of whites, much in the same way the nazis did of Jews?
and you said:
those links are basically reports of random black people spouting conspiracy theories
So am I missing something? And the NAACP isnt 'random'...
Old 12-15-05, 12:12 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Who mentioned the NAACP?
Old 12-15-05, 12:18 PM
Suspended

You're correct, they arent mentioned in the links I gave. I was thinking of the 'government blowing up N.O. levees' conspiracy theory, but its not the NAACP behind that one. Oops.

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.