Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk > Religion, Politics and World Events
Reload this Page >

A poll to test my theory about differences between liberals and conservatives........

Religion, Politics and World Events They make great dinner conversation, don't you think? plus Political Film
View Poll Results: In the U.S., what is the biggest cause of black childhood poverty?
Racism. I'm a liberal.
3.53%
Illegitimacy. I'm a liberal.
21.18%
Racism. I'm a conservative.
7.06%
Illegitimacy. I'm a conservative.
45.88%
Racism. I'm a libertarian.
2.35%
Illegitimacy. I'm a libertarian.
20.00%
Voters: 85. You may not vote on this poll

A poll to test my theory about differences between liberals and conservatives........

Old 12-09-05, 10:22 PM
Political Exile

I am doing this poll out of curiosity.
Old 12-09-05, 10:23 PM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

neither are the biggest. i would think we could attribute that to a rotten education system. single-parent households are certainly closer to the mark than racism, however.

for the most part i'm socially liberal and fiscally conservative. as this is more so a social issue, i voted accordingly.

will you share your theory with us after you've accumulated enough data to pigeonhole one group or the other? i hope so.

Last edited by Cygnet74; 12-09-05 at 10:58 PM.
Old 12-09-05, 11:12 PM
Political Exile

Originally Posted by Cygnet74
will you share your theory with us after you've accumulated enough data to pigeonhole one group or the other? i hope so.
Yes.
Old 12-09-05, 11:39 PM
DVD Talk God

illegitimacy is the bigger of the two, but maybe not the biggest. The biggest is all the poor people that live in those neighborhoods.
Old 12-09-05, 11:49 PM
Mod Emeritus

I feel like this is one of those standardized aptitude tests you take as a kid.

If I could be any animal, I would be

(a) a carpenter ant
(b) a nurse shark
(c) a lawyer bird.
Old 12-09-05, 11:52 PM
X
Administrator

twikoff!
Old 12-10-05, 12:02 AM
DVD Talk God

You 'conveniently' forgot the principal reason - absentee fathers.
Old 12-10-05, 12:04 AM
Mod Emeritus

I think that would fall under his "Illegitimacy" choice.
Old 12-10-05, 12:17 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by classicman2
You 'conveniently' forgot the principal reason - absentee fathers.

Originally Posted by Gallant Pig
I think that would fall under his "Illegitimacy" choice.

I'm gonna go out on a limb and say that the answer "racism" is not gonna end up being much of a factor to the entirity of the pole. This may sound stupid, but I honestly believe that while I'm sure racism does exists today, I don't think it's nearly as bad as some would have you believe.

Last edited by MartinBlank; 12-10-05 at 12:20 AM.
Old 12-10-05, 12:26 AM
Mod Emeritus

I don't think most sane or intelligent people would think it could be boiled down into one issue and only one issue. From what I've observed and seen it has to do with a poor education, having too many kids, not being able to afford to go to college. Surely racism exists, but if you are an intelligent hardworking person the effect it will have on you in the grand scheme of things isn't that big.
Old 12-10-05, 12:28 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Neither of those choices have anything to do with it. It's all about education and opportunity. If you're poor, you get sent to shitty schools and don't learn a damn thing to allow you to break the cycle and no one is willing to step in and help you out. Then you raise your kids which get sent to shitty schools, and you can't teach them anything yourself because you never learned it either. Rinse. Repeat.
Old 12-10-05, 02:44 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

The Welfare state.

Since the Great Society, black people went from predominantly stable 2 parent homes to 70% of their children born out of wedlock. The welfare state foisted on black people split the two parent system apart, as it stripped motivators for families to stay together away, as well as stripped the idea of personal responsibility("It's racism!!!") away from its recipients.
Old 12-10-05, 02:46 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I blame their constant attacks on steakhouses.
Old 12-10-05, 02:54 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Um, how very simplistic. I'm glad there are only two choices for what causes "black childhood poverty".

What, perhaps, is "black childhood poverty"? As in poor children? Are they not getting an allowance or something?
Old 12-10-05, 07:44 AM
DVD Talk God

An absentee father (whether he black or white) does not guarantee the child will be in poverty, but it goes a long way in assuring the child (whether black or white) is in poverty.
Old 12-10-05, 07:55 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by Numanoid
Neither of those choices have anything to do with it. It's all about education and opportunity. If you're poor, you get sent to shitty schools and don't learn a damn thing to allow you to break the cycle and no one is willing to step in and help you out. Then you raise your kids which get sent to shitty schools, and you can't teach them anything yourself because you never learned it either. Rinse. Repeat.

This post is dead-on. The poll needs an "other" option.
Old 12-10-05, 08:07 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Agreed. It's education, opportunity, and education about opportunities.
Old 12-10-05, 08:45 AM
DVD Talk Hero

that's why people who live in the suburbs from all parts of the political spectrum will kill any idea of bussing kids from "bad" neighborhoods to their schools.
Old 12-10-05, 08:49 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by natesfortune
The Welfare state.

Since the Great Society, black people went from predominantly stable 2 parent homes to 70% of their children born out of wedlock. The welfare state foisted on black people split the two parent system apart, as it stripped motivators for families to stay together away, as well as stripped the idea of personal responsibility("It's racism!!!") away from its recipients.
Yeah, if it hadn't been for the great society, black folk would still be one big happy family, like these guys:

Obviously no poverty here.

I agree with the education and opportunity responses.
Old 12-10-05, 10:08 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Racism. I'm a conservative.

But it's not an answer as clear-cut as that. If we are talking about the roots, clearly it is racism in this country. Therefore, I can still say that raciscm is the "biggest cause of black childhood poverty" in this country, even if it's the racism of generations ago. But I do not believe that it is racism that has kept it that way or that "causes" it today. Rising out of generations of poverty can be diffucult in any climate. Illegitimacy is both a contributer and a result of these circumstances. It certainly is one of the leading causes of the <I>perpetuation</i> of black childhood poverty. But only one of many.

Last edited by Th0r S1mpson; 12-10-05 at 10:11 AM.
Old 12-10-05, 10:15 AM
bhk
DVD Talk Legend

And yet the above pictured family in today's time would have a better chance at life than a single mother with 2 or 3 kids.
Old 12-10-05, 10:30 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by al_bundy
that's why people who live in the suburbs from all parts of the political spectrum will kill any idea of bussing kids from "bad" neighborhoods to their schools.
they actually did that in my elementary school when I was a kid. I don't remember it too well, but apparently there were some parents who were up in arms over the whole thing. Every one of my classmates agreed (long after the fact) that it was the right thing to do and we're better off for having had more of a multi-cultural environment.

Last edited by dick_grayson; 12-10-05 at 11:47 AM.
Old 12-10-05, 11:46 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by al_bundy

Vouchers?
Old 12-10-05, 12:29 PM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

the sad truth is that regardless of race, illegitimacy, or education, all childhood poverty is caused when a kid doesn't get an allowance.
Old 12-10-05, 12:51 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

This is a confusing poll. When did illegitimacy become a factor in black childhood poverty? What IS black childhood poverty anyhow (as opposed to black adult poverty)? Racism isn't it either. I have no idea what this poll is attempting to accomplish, but since none of the responses make sense, I didn't answer at all.

Numanoid's response best fits my own opinion.

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.