Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Religion, Politics and World Events
Reload this Page >

PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING in Religion, Politics, and World Events

Religion, Politics and World Events They make great dinner conversation, don't you think? plus Political Film

Old 12-08-05, 01:09 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Welcome to the Religion, Politics, and World Events "Other" subforum of DVDTalk. Whether you're a longtime member or this is your first time here, please read through this from time to time. This OP from December 8, 2005 was updated on December 5, 2013, May 28, 2019, and is now updated as of June 17, 2020. Our goal here is to promote an environment in which people can present various ideas, opinions and points of view in a manner which supports discussion of these things. The moderators are not here to prevent you from being offended, we are here though to make sure the discussion proceeds in a civilized manner. In addition to the usual DVDTalk rules and terms of use across the entire forum (no personal attacks, threadcrapping, spam, etc.), the Religion, Politics, and World Events subforum has additional rules and expectations, as it has since it began in 2005. What follows is a list of new and freshly-articulated rules and expectations for this community moving forward.

Rules for Religion, Politics, and World Events:
1. NO TROLLING. If you're here to troll, LEAVE. Also, no calling people "trolls." Just report the post. For those who were here for a while, the "troll emojis" are gone.
2. No party bashing or group generalizations. Posts like "liberals are smarter than conservatives," "conservatives are more moral than liberals," "voting group A are all horrible people," or "group B is nuts" do not forward discourse. They are often speculative generalizations, anecdotal opinion, or outright false. If you want to make a specific point like, "[This party / liberals / conservatives / voting group A] favors ________," back the supposition up with links to the articles, polls, sites that support your point.
3. No "fixing" posts. You cannot make a post that edits or add words to someone else's post, quoted or not, to misrepresent that person's post, harass them, or write "fixed" after it. This is considered a personal attack or threadcrap.. The proper response is to quote the original post exactly and then write your response outside the quoted portion.

4. No memes or cartoons outside the memes and cartoons threads. Please leave them out of the threads driven by the discussion.
5. No posting articles, links, or embedded Tweets or videos without comment. Just posting this kind of material without additional commentary to continue the dialogue is not allowed, especially as the first post in a thread. The commentary must be of greater substance than something like, "Can you believe this?! I can't!" If it's worth sharing, it's worth writing about, too.

New Rules for the General Rules across all DVDTalk forums:
  • NO TROLLING. If you're here to troll, LEAVE. Also, no calling people "trolls." Just report the post. For those who were here for a while, the "troll emojis" are gone.
  • Signatures, locations, and other profile content cannot harass a member, moderator, or administrator. If someone reports your location or signature because they think it's a reference to them or quote from them and they feel trolled or made fun of, that report will be taken seriously.
Posts that violate these rules may be deleted or edited by moderators and can lead to further action.

Expectations for Religion, Politics, and World Events:
These expectations are intended to help foster a healthy discussion environment. Remember: We're an entertainment culture and media-based discussion community that also happens to have a subforum for people to discuss religion, politics, and world events. It's not the other way around. Even if it was, the community standards are still high. And if it was reverse, it would probably be even higher, really. Thank you for holding yourself accountable to these expectations:
A. Approach this subforum as a space for intentional discussion, not disingenuous discord. Everyone - every single member - is asked to do this. Posts that are intentionally combative, looking for "Gotcha!" moments, steeped in a "What's that supposed to mean?!" attitude, or are basically "I know you are, but what am I?" and other signs of immature attitudes drag the whole community down. You know what will trigger people. You know posts laden with name-calling, generalizations, excessive swearing and coarse language, and outright contempt are going to rile people up. Healthy culture doesn't get built by new or revamped rules. It gets built because you invest in building the culture. That means...
  • Give your best with your best intentions. If you're here with a chip on your shoulder, if you're here to teach people lessons, if you want to be a keyboard warrior, there are other places you can go.
  • Assume best intent and take a breath when it doesn't feel that way. If someone is coming at you with vitriol, ask yourself if returning vitriol is your best bet.
  • Show growth in yourself. Allow growth in others. If you're still mad about a snarky post Jo-Jo made fifteen years ago about the Burger King/Coca-Cola Star Wars collectible glassware (straight-edge vs. rounded tumbler-style), but they've grown in how they conduct themselves now, let it go. We are all more than our worst mistake. If you want people to see the best in you, actively work to see the best in others.
  • Concede the point. If you think they make a good point, let them know you think so. Genuine compliments can go a long way.
  • Ask for forgiveness. If you realize you antagonized someone and you realize it was wrong, apologize. Otherwise, it leaves your antagonism as the lingering impression. Show your growth by apologizing and doing better. If you need tips on what a successful apology looks like, the research on the "Six Steps of a Successful Apology" out of Ohio State University is a good place to start.
  • Give forgiveness and the benefit of the doubt. If they antagonized you, apologized, and are obviously trying to do better, forgive them and move on. Give the grace you'd like to receive yourself.
  • Engage with others the way you want to be engaged.
B. Use the "Report the Post" feature as needed and with good intentions. This feature is found in the bottom left-hand corner of everyone else's posts. You're encouraged to use the feature if someone has clearly broken the rules/expectations so subforum moderators can at least take a look at it. Just like any member, moderators have different topics they are interested in and there is no guarantee that a moderator is reading/following any particular thread. Remember, using RTP to oppose opinions you don't like, especially if you don't even post in the subforum, isn't how RTP works. Trying to use the mod team to crack down on someone who's opinion you don't like or who is vocal about a particular topic that annoys is not going to gain much traction, especially if you lurk and don't actually post. If you want to be part of the reporting body, you should be part of the discussing body.
C. Try not to "fire from the hip" or respond "in-kind" when posting. Take the time to think through your response and reread it before hitting the submit button to make sure it says what you want to say in the manner you want it said. This is especially important when a particular thread starts to get a little heated and people from all angles are getting worked up and feeding off of each other leading to an all-out "flame war."
D. The use of links is strongly encouraged. When quoting outside resources please provide a link to the material if at all possible. This is especially important if you are quoting just a section of the original text so that quote can be put back into its original context.
E. Remember: it's okay to take a break! Taking a break from the subforum occasionally can be a good thing, if a particular thread is getting too heated. Instead of trying to get in the last word, just take a break from that thread a while. Suspensions, etc. are for people who don't know when to take a break on their own behalf. Breathe before you post. And if it still feels tough to post without getting worked up, maybe take a break.

PLEASE CONSIDER THIS A GENERAL FORUM WARNING. Consequences for not following the Rules and Expectations may include suspensions, "political exile," and beyond. The point of these Rules and Expectations is not to stifle any particular point of view or opinion; open and honest discussions are strongly encouraged. This is forum meant for mature people to have "grown-up" conversations about real world happenings. If you really want a "no holds bar" discussion there are plenty of options elsewhere that will accommodate you.

Thank you for your cooperation and your participation. Your Admin and Moderator Team does its best to maintain an active roster with balance when it comes to the political spectrum to try to apply these Rules and Expectations fairly to all situations. If you do have a question or challenge with a particular moderator, though, please contact the DVDTalk administrators http://www.dvdtalk.com/forum/contact.php. We will continue to work with you on improving our culture. We are all volunteers and doing our best. While the world is heating up, politically, we're doing our best to keep this subforum open for discussion while keeping it cool so as not to add to the fire. Let's keep at this together, and thank you.

Last edited by story; 06-17-20 at 04:25 PM. Reason: rule update
Old 12-08-05, 07:49 PM
Premium Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Old 12-08-05, 08:00 PM
Retired

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Huge

Long overdue IMO.
Old 12-08-05, 08:06 PM
Admin

Received 150 Likes on 93 Posts
How Cow, bfrank showed up. I knew he'd be back if we changed the rules.

Seriously, I've noticed a few new posters to the forum over the past few days. Maybe things are looking up.
Old 12-08-05, 10:04 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Nifty.

Maybe i'll wander in here a bit more now.

-p
Old 12-08-05, 10:12 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Moderators think they are so superior to us Norms.

What's up with bfrank coming around?

Old 12-08-05, 11:36 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

FWIW, I'll do my part to be kinder and gentler. Honestly, I'm not this sarcastic. This forum brings out the worst side mostly because it's my outlet for my frustrations about this administration. And sometimes, the smugness around here just gets too much. But I'll do better at walking away. I wish you mods luck in putting out the fires. It's the political forum. It's kind of like trying to light a cigarette while standing in a puddle of gasoline.

Last edited by hahn; 12-08-05 at 11:40 PM.
Old 12-30-05, 11:19 AM
DVD Talk God

It seems that some of the fun has returned to the forum.
Old 12-30-05, 12:04 PM
Admin

Yes, I noticed c-man had taken a small hiatus.
Old 03-01-06, 10:36 AM
Enormous Genitals

Location: a small cottage on a cul de sac in the lower pits of hell.
Received 33 Likes on 19 Posts
From the "high taxes drive productive Californians to leave the state" thread:

Originally Posted by nemein
Alot of people were complaining about the partisan bickering/sniping that was going on in the Political Forum. It was to the point where a lot of regulars were saying they weren't coming around any more because of it. In order to help keep things on a friendly/productive level we decided the institute the new rule. Overall it's a balancing act between what is/isn't allowed and I'm sure we don't always get it right but I think things have improved here since the rule went into effect.

BTW it might be best to take this discussion to the sticky thread so if you want to reply please copy/paste this post and continue there.
I was one of the people who had mentioned a lack of civility in this forum, and although I am only an occasional poster I read most of the threads here. Since the rule has been enacted I've noticed a marked inprovement in the tone of the forum. Sure, people still take the "liberals are causing this problem" and "conservatives are destroying our liberties" position, but are taking the time to try to back up their assertions to avoid making one-note sniping posts, which is good. I don't have a problem with anyone expressing their point of view, no matter what that view is. The non-reasoned bickering that so permeated this forum previously is, for the most part, gone IMO. Props to the mods, who work hard to maintain a delicate balance between allowing freedom of expression of opinions and controlling tempers/bickering.
Old 03-02-06, 09:21 AM
Admin

I don't know how much change I've seen, although I never had much of a problem with the place originally. Politics in general is an emotional topic, so emotional responses are to be expected. I do appreciate the efforts of the mods in trying to keep things civil. That's one of the things that keeps me coming back here.
Old 03-02-06, 09:49 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I do think it's better overall. However, the mods never seem to advance past initial warnings. What I mean is a poster will make a useless/inflammatory comment, a mod will say don't do that, the poster will do it again in another thread, mod again tells them to cut it out, poster does it again... etc. How many times to you have to be told "stop" before you get a suspension? If there's no follow-through, there's no reason to obey the rules.

Still, I really do believe the overall tone has improved.
Old 03-10-06, 02:39 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 38 Likes on 29 Posts
I haven't seen any change myself. Frankly, I'm a little tired of it all, and haven't been posting as much in here lately.
Old 03-13-06, 09:13 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by uberjoe
However, the mods never seem to advance past initial warnings. What I mean is a poster will make a useless/inflammatory comment, a mod will say don't do that, the poster will do it again in another thread, mod again tells them to cut it out, poster does it again... etc. How many times to you have to be told "stop" before you get a suspension? If there's no follow-through, there's no reason to obey the rules.
I completely agree.
Old 05-07-06, 10:31 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Red Dog
I haven't seen any change myself. Frankly, I'm a little tired of it all, and haven't been posting as much in here lately.

I think I might just start sticking to the other forums where the mods and posters are almost always mutually respectful and fair.

The changes makes no sense if there is no consistency in how the rules are applied and if you dare ask someone to please help you understand what about a post is wrong, you get no clarification.

Of course, clarification when a situation comes up could only benefit all posters, as it could be later applied to all posts, so that everyone feels there is one set of rules for all.

Meanwhile, one group gets away with pretty much anything they want to do short of actual name-calling.
Old 05-15-06, 08:48 AM

Meanwhile, one group gets away with pretty much anything they want to do short of actual name-calling.
The amusing thing about this statement is... both sides have been saying it
Old 05-15-06, 09:18 AM

Received 60 Likes on 37 Posts
Originally Posted by nemein
The amusing thing about this statement is... both sides have been saying it
Yes, but only one side is correct when they say it. It's up to you to guess which one I mean.
Old 05-15-06, 09:19 AM
Admin

I guess you're doing a decent job when both sides of the political spectrum say you're biased in the other's favor.
Old 05-15-06, 09:20 AM

Received 60 Likes on 37 Posts
Originally Posted by VinVega
I guess you're doing a decent job when both sides of the political spectrum say you're biased in the other's favor.
Yeah, but people say the same thing about the media, and I'm not so sure they're doing such a great job...
Old 05-15-06, 09:24 AM
Admin

Originally Posted by wendersfan
Yeah, but people say the same thing about the media, and I'm not so sure they're doing such a great job...
Thanks a lot. Now I'm like the media.
Old 09-18-06, 03:47 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by X
Sominex,

There's no need to be as antagonistic as this and some of your other posts.
Just want to make sure I understand you right (respectfully)

It's ok for certain posters to:

1. Criticize me
2. Attack me personally
3. Post pictures about me

But I can't make generalized statements?

I've been called "strident, biased, and devoid of facts ". If that isn't antagonistic I don't know what is!

I find it ironic (maybe wrongly so), that I contribute a LOT to this forum this is both neutral and contructive. Other's just criticize me and attack me, but my SMALL percentage of posts that respond with SIMILAR rhetoric to them are honed in on and singled out.

I don't know... I'm just wondering. No disrespect intended at all man.

Even though I've gotten reprimanded in the particular thread, I was told I was no longer allowed to reply, and I must post it here. So there it is (above)
Old 09-18-06, 08:36 PM
Admin

Originally Posted by Sominex
Just want to make sure I understand you right (respectfully)

It's ok for certain posters to:

1. Criticize me
2. Attack me personally
3. Post pictures about me

But I can't make generalized statements?

I've been called "strident, biased, and devoid of facts ". If that isn't antagonistic I don't know what is!

I find it ironic (maybe wrongly so), that I contribute a LOT to this forum this is both neutral and contructive. Other's just criticize me and attack me, but my SMALL percentage of posts that respond with SIMILAR rhetoric to them are honed in on and singled out.

I don't know... I'm just wondering. No disrespect intended at all man.

Even though I've gotten reprimanded in the particular thread, I was told I was no longer allowed to reply, and I must post it here. So there it is (above)
We're talking about The Path to 9/11 thread

I think you need to take a look at your posting style and how it may ber interpreted by people.
A) I'll feel free to comment on whatever I'd like to comment on, thank you very much
Wow! We caught the little fish! YAAAYYY!
Awwww.... if you say so. *lol*
I've mentioned those comments. Now, JasonF and chess were out of line for calling you condescending and for posting the daily show photoshopped picture, but I think it's fair to say that they were reacting to the tone displayed in your posts, not your argument and not necessarily against the person you are, or your party affiliation. They were wrong for making it about YOU, I absolutely agree. I know both of these posters and generally, they do pretty well at having a conversation or a spirited debate.

I'm only mentioning this because I DO think you have a lot to add to the forum and you are an active member, something that the forum always needs. Personally, I lean to the left on a lot of issues, so I'm generally going to side with the opinion of the lefty posters, however, I have gotten lefty posters exiled and suspended from the site for some of the things we've discussed in this very post. My only advice is even in the zeal to "win" an argument, to take a step back before you hit the submit button and make sure you're addressing the poster's topic (not the poster) in a respectful manner. If everybody does this, we're golden. Fair enough?
Old 09-18-06, 08:50 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by VinVega
Now, JasonF [was] out of line for ... posting the daily show photoshopped picture
When I posted the picture, I was thinking of Stephen Colbert's TV persona. He's a pretentious blowhard who puts people "on notice" for perceived slights, which are not necessarily actual insults. He put "bears" on notice, for example.

So when I posted the picture, I was trying to poke fun at myself as much as at Sominex. I was trying to say that we had become enemies who couldn't communicate with each other -- not real enemies, though, but cartoonish enemies a la Stephen Colbert and his enemies, real and imagined. It was an attempt to bow out of the conversation and defuse the situation.

Sorry that it failed.
Old 09-18-06, 09:20 PM
Admin

Originally Posted by JasonF
When I posted the picture, I was thinking of Stephen Colbert's TV persona. He's a pretentious blowhard who puts people "on notice" for perceived slights, which are not necessarily actual insults. He put "bears" on notice, for example.

So when I posted the picture, I was trying to poke fun at myself as much as at Sominex. I was trying to say that we had become enemies who couldn't communicate with each other -- not real enemies, though, but cartoonish enemies a la Stephen Colbert and his enemies, real and imagined. It was an attempt to bow out of the conversation and defuse the situation.

Sorry that it failed.
Yes, it didn't go over too well. I certainly didn't get it, although Colbert is very funny.
Old 09-18-06, 09:22 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Death to JasonF, I plan a Day of Rage unless he bows down and properly apologizes!

Note to the humor-impaired: I am not calling for Jason's death. It's a parody of the muslims who are calling for the pope's death for not quite apologizing the way they want.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.