Religion, Politics and World Events They make great dinner conversation, don't you think? plus Political Film
View Poll Results: How will this effect the price of gas?
The price of gas will go up
66.67%
The price of gas will go down
0%
The price of gas will be twikoffed
33.33%
Voters: 3. You may not vote on this poll

Al-Qaida Deputy Urges Oil-Plant Attacks

Old 12-07-05, 12:01 PM
Admin-Thanos

Al-Qaida Deputy Urges Oil-Plant Attacks

Yahoo Story

By MAGGIE MICHAEL, Associated Press Writer

CAIRO, Egypt - Al-Qaida's deputy leader called for attacks against Gulf oil facilities and urged insurgent groups in Iraq to unite to drive out American forces, according to a videotape posted on the Internet Wednesday.

The posting was a full version of a video by al-Qaida No. 2 Ayman al-Zawahri that was issued on Sept. 19, excerpts of which were broadcast by the Arab television network Al-Jazeera at the time. The network aired more excerpts Wednesday, originally presenting all of the footage as new. A newscaster later told viewers some of the excerpts had previously been broadcast.

"I call on the holy warriors to concentrate their campaigns on the stolen oil of the Muslims, most of the revenues of which go to the enemies of Islam," al-Zawahri, the Egyptian deputy of al-Qaida leader Osama bin Laden, said in a portion of the tape not previously broadcast.

Al-Zawahri also said that Al-Qaida leader Osama bin Laden was alive and well and leading the holy war against the West.

"Thanks be to God, (al-Qaida's) prince, Sheik Osama bin Laden, is still, God protect him, leading the holy war," al-Zawahri said in the September footage.

Al-Zawahri, who was wearing a white robe and black turban and was seated before a pale blue sheet, spoke to an off-camera interviewer. He said "the enemies of Islam" were exploiting oil with "incomparable greed, and we have to stop that theft with all we can save this fortune for the nation of Islam."

In the full version of the tape, which was posted on an Islamic Web site known for carrying statements from extremist groups, al-Zawahri called on Iraqi insurgent groups to unite.

Iraqi Arabs, Kurds and Turkomen, "whose hands were not tainted by Americans," should come together to fill "the gap that will be left by the Americans departure" from Iraq, he said.

The full video includes quotes from al-Zawahri on September elections in Afghanistan and on the July 7 London bombings that appeared in the excerpts aired by Al-Jazeera on Sept. 19.
Old 12-07-05, 12:03 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

errrr .. let me go fill up first ..
Old 12-07-05, 12:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

A butterfly flapping its wings in the Antarctic would cause gas prices to go up.
Old 12-07-05, 12:38 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Bronkster
A butterfly flapping its wings in the Antarctic would cause gas prices to go up.
..we're clearly losing the war against Antarctic butterflies.
Old 12-07-05, 12:39 PM
Admin-Thanos

See, now you're biasing my extremely scientific poll.

Old 12-07-05, 12:42 PM
DVD Talk God

A study showed that 85% of the time gasoline prices reflected accurately the price of crude oil.

The other 15%, well................
Old 12-07-05, 12:43 PM

Where in the world could they do any real, (not psychological), damage to energy infrastructure? I know of only a few, and it is extremely doubtful, if not impossible, for attacks to be made at these places. The sooner the world learns to ignore these vague imbecilic threats, the better off we will all be.
Old 12-07-05, 12:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Capitol of the Empire! Center of all Commerce and Culture! Crossroads of Civilization! NEW ROME!!!...aka New York City
Shouldnt referneces to Antartic butterflies go in the Global Warming thread?
Old 12-07-05, 12:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

If I only got one wish for Christmas, it would be to be in the same room with an al-Qaeda terrorist.

I would immediately chop him in tiny pieces.

Yeah, I just got the electric and gas bill. Now I'm in a really bad mood.
Old 12-07-05, 01:09 PM
DVD Talk God

Yeah, I just got the electric and gas bill. Now I'm in a really bad mood.
Perhaps you could start with the environmentalists to get in a little practice.
Old 12-07-05, 06:04 PM
Political Exile

Gas prices have been falling, but that has nothing to do with what's in this article.

Gas prices are based on supply and demand.

Some people claim that rising gas prices are based on some kind of conspiracy, and not on supply and demand. How do these people explain the recent fall in gas prices?
Old 12-07-05, 06:07 PM

Originally Posted by grundle
Gas prices have been falling, but that has nothing to do with what's in this article.

Some people claim that rising gas prices are based on some kind of conspiracy, and not on supply and demand. How do these people explain the recent fall in gas prices?

No, once again, some of us, (even some of us that have just a bit of training/education/experience in the matter), realise that prices are not the result of some grand conspiracy, but that they are also not simply based on supply and demand.
Old 12-07-05, 06:28 PM
DVD Talk God

::
Old 12-07-05, 06:30 PM
Admin-Thanos

So what you're saying is that the demand dropped off so precipitously since the peak to warrant a 33% decline in the price? I find that hard to believe.

If I had to guess, I'd say that the statements by the Al-Quesadilla leader are designed to scare the price of gas up since they know how much it effects the American economy. They have no real ability to disrupt the production of oil, so the next best thing is to try to drive the price up. I don't know if it will work or not, but I'm sure that is their aim.

Last edited by VinVega; 12-07-05 at 06:32 PM.
Old 12-07-05, 07:17 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

It's true. They supply the gas and demand more money.
Old 12-07-05, 07:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

The demands of the stockholders, maybe.