Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk > Religion, Politics and World Events
Reload this Page >

White House slams Howard Dean's comments on Iraq (Results of new Iraqi poll post#59)

Religion, Politics and World Events They make great dinner conversation, don't you think? plus Political Film

White House slams Howard Dean's comments on Iraq (Results of new Iraqi poll post#59)

Old 12-06-05, 11:27 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20051206/pl_nm/iraq_bush_dc_1
WASHINGTON (Reuters) - The White House criticized Democratic Party Chairman Howard Dean on Tuesday for saying it is wrong to think the United States will win in Iraq, saying he was sending the wrong message to U.S. troops.

Dean told San Antonio, Texas, radio station WOAI that "the idea that we're going to win the war in Iraq is an idea which is just plain wrong."

He predicted the Democratic Party would come together on a proposal to withdraw National Guard and Reserve troops immediately, and all U.S. forces within two years.

White House spokesman Scott McClellan said President George W. Bush is "focused on our plan for victory," and will give the second in a series of speeches on Wednesday about the way forward in Iraq looking ahead to December 15 elections.

"I think that on the eve of historic elections, it sends the wrong message to our troops. America wants our troops to win and we have a plan to help them succeed and we know that they will," McClellan said.

He suggested Dean had some explaining to do.

"I think those are remarks for him to clarify," McClellan said, calling it "absolutely the wrong message to send to our troops when we are on the verge of historic accomplishments."

Dean called Iraq "the same situation we had in Vietnam."

"Everybody then kept saying, 'Just another year, just stay the course, we'll have a victory.' Well, we didn't have a victory, and this policy cost the lives of an additional 25,000 troops because we were too stubborn to recognize what was happening," he said.

Dean is a former governor of Vermont who used anti-war rhetoric, smart use of the Internet and fund-raising prowess to become at one point a top contender for the role of Democratic candidate for president in 2004. His outspoken style has produced both admirers and critics in and out of the party.

Bush has rejected setting a timetable for withdrawing U.S. troops from Iraq, saying it would encourage the Iraqi insurgency. His administration has recently gone on the offensive against critics of the war by warning that calls to withdraw could hurt the morale of U.S. troops there.
Ignoring how I feel about Dean's opinion, I'm getting really sick and tired of any criticism of this war deflected by saying the speaker is hurting our soldiers and implying they are one step away from treason. It's disgusting. We're a beacon for freedom and democracy, but don't question the actions of the government or you're a traitor!
Old 12-06-05, 11:30 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Duran, I'm with you 100%. you can't say anything negative about the situation in the war or you're automatically selling off the troop to the enemy.
Old 12-06-05, 11:34 AM

What did Dean try to accomplish by saying this? I don't see his statememt doing any good for anybody.

However, I will acknowledge that he finally got to a specific regarding the War in Iraq (when compared to a recent exchange he had with Tim Russert on Meet the Press:

Tim Russert: But those are words. . . . For example, what is the Democratic position on Iraq? Should we withdraw troops now? What do the Democrats stand for?

Dean: Tim, first of all, we don't control the House, the Senate, or the White House. We have plenty of time to show Americans what our agenda is and we will, long before the '06 elections.

Russert: But there's no Democratic plan on Social Security. There's no Democratic plan on the deficit problem. There's no specifics. . . .

Dean: Right now it's not our job to give out specifics. We have no control in the House. We have no control in the Senate. It's our job is to stop this administration, this corrupt and incompetent administration, from doing more damage to America. And that's what we're going to do. . .

Russert: But is it enough for you to say to the country, "Trust us, the other guy's no good. We'll do better, but we're not going to tell you specifically how we're going to deal with Iraq"?

Dean: We will. When the time comes, we will do that.

Russert: When's the time going to come?

Dean: The time is fast-approaching. . . .

Russert: This year?

Dean: In 2006.
Old 12-06-05, 11:35 AM
GFM

This space reserved for rhetoric of your choice
Old 12-06-05, 11:38 AM
DVD Talk Ruler

Unlike Kerry's comments, I think Dean has gone off the deep end. He makes it appear as though Democrats are just praying for this war to end badly, and are completely disregarding all the positive accomplishments. Looks what's happening.. Saddam is gone, they are voting in a free election.. The wheels of democracy are in motion and anyone with half a brain knows it doesn't happen quickly and it doesn't happen easily but the Democrats want so badly to see a failure for their own political games they are calling it a failure while it's still in development. Dean's a fool.
Old 12-06-05, 11:42 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by General Zod
Unlike Kerry's comments, I think Dean has gone off the deep end. He makes it appear as though Democrats are just praying for this war to end badly, and are completely disregarding all the positive accomplishments. Looks what's happening.. Saddam is gone, they are voting in a free election.. The wheels of democracy are in motion and anyone with half a brain knows it doesn't happen quickly and it doesn't happen easily but the Democrats want so badly to see a failure for their own political games they are calling it a failure while it's still in development. Dean's a fool.
So you're saying Iraq has gone well?

Originally Posted by Geofferson
What did Dean try to accomplish by saying this? I don't see his statememt doing any good for anybody.
Whether I agree with him or not, I think whether it is possible to "win" Iraq is certainly a valid point to bring up for discussion. Personally, I'd like to see what the hell "win" means.
Old 12-06-05, 11:44 AM
DVD Talk Ruler

Originally Posted by Duran
I think it could be going better, but I think what we are trying to accomplish is slowing being accomplished. I don't judge how well we are doing in Iraq by the number of suicide bombings, I judge it by if we are doing what we said we would do. We said we would remove Saddam, and establish a free Iraq. We are well on our way to doing that. There's an election in just 10 days to futher this goal. It's not the disaster the media or the democrats want you to think it is.
Old 12-06-05, 11:46 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

There is a difference between voicing criticism, and saying damaging comments. Criticism/questioning is healthy and shouldn't have a negative effect on the troops. However, to say that we are going to lose the war is very irresponsible, and I would think very damaging to the moral of the troops.
DVD Talk God

We have such an unrealistic standard. I would say that it has gone better than any other military campaign we have engaged in.
DVD Talk God

The Democratic Party is already split enough on the issue of the War in Iraq.

The last thing the party needs is to have the party chairman splitting the party even further.

Huge mistake for the Democrats to have Dean as party chairman.

You need someone with a little sense.
Old 12-06-05, 11:50 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Ignoring how I feel about Dean's opinion, I'm getting really sick and tired of any criticism of this war deflected by saying the speaker is hurting our soldiers and implying they are one step away from treason. It's disgusting. We're a beacon for freedom and democracy, but don't question the actions of the government or you're a traitor!
Duran, I think your comments send absolutely the wrong message to our troops. Quite frankly, I'm surprised you'd say such a thing during a time of war.
Old 12-06-05, 11:53 AM
DVD Talk God

So people who dissent on the war do so because they want their thoughts known so that they can have a discussion about it. But those in favor shouldn't use arguments to try to silence arguments they disagree with? American politics is about using what you can to silence the opposition. You guys are just mad because your views are unamerican.
Old 12-06-05, 11:55 AM
Admin-Thanos

Originally Posted by kvrdave
We have such an unrealistic standard. I would say that it has gone better than any other military campaign we have engaged in.
I think the operation in Grenada was much more successful.
Old 12-06-05, 11:55 AM
DVD Talk God

Tim Russert: But those are words. . . . For example, what is the Democratic position on Iraq? Should we withdraw troops now? What do the Democrats stand for?

Dean: Tim, first of all, we don't control the House, the Senate, or the White House. We have plenty of time to show Americans what our agenda is and we will, long before the '06 elections.

Russert: But there's no Democratic plan on Social Security. There's no Democratic plan on the deficit problem. There's no specifics. . . .

Dean: Right now it's not our job to give out specifics. We have no control in the House. We have no control in the Senate. It's our job is to stop this administration, this corrupt and incompetent administration, from doing more damage to America. And that's what we're going to do. . .

Russert: But is it enough for you to say to the country, "Trust us, the other guy's no good. We'll do better, but we're not going to tell you specifically how we're going to deal with Iraq"?

Dean: We will. When the time comes, we will do that.

Russert: When's the time going to come?

Dean: The time is fast-approaching. . . .

Russert: This year?

Dean: In 2006

I believe the party should do a little more than merely be critical of the Repubs.
Old 12-06-05, 12:25 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by kvrdave
The unrealistic standard was set by the Administration trying to sell the war in the first place. "Mission Accomplished" "Welcomed as liberators" "Insurgency is in its last throes."

How often do you see people upset over Afghanistan, other than that it seems we no longer care about finding Bin Laden?
Old 12-06-05, 12:27 PM
DVD Talk God

I see the unrealistic standard as the belief that a western-style democracy can be established in Iraq.

Oh, I most assuredly believe we're interested in finding OBL.

There is another country involved which complicates that endeavor.
Old 12-06-05, 12:44 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by classicman2
Oh, I most assuredly believe we're interested in finding OBL.
"I truly am not that concerned about him." [President Bush, Press Conference, 3/13/02]
Old 12-06-05, 12:46 PM

Dean's a loose cannon and should never have been made head of the party. For one thing, he's too high profile. How many party leaders in the past have been this well known to the general public? As such, he's running around like a 'minister without portfolio', alienating swing voters and not doing enough to build the organization, which is what someone in his position should be doing.

Also, the administration needs to ratchet down the language. Discussions on the home front regarding the viability or appropriateness of the mission should not be muzzled because of troop morale. If the troop morale is that fragile then the administration has bigger problems. In addition to that, commenting on Dean's comments just gives him more credibility and makes them look small and petty, neither of which is good, tactically.
Old 12-06-05, 12:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Wow... i think he has been drinking some of grandpa's cough syrup
Old 12-06-05, 12:55 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by Numanoid
"I truly am not that concerned about him." [President Bush, Press Conference, 3/13/02]
You don't seem to take Bush's word for much of anything else. Why do you believe him when he said the above?
Old 12-06-05, 01:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

When Howard Dean said that America wasn't any safer with Saddam gone, he was right.

I only wish I had believed him at the time.
Old 12-06-05, 01:26 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by wendersfan
Also, the administration needs to ratchet down the language. Discussions on the home front regarding the viability or appropriateness of the mission should not be muzzled because of troop morale. If the troop morale is that fragile then the administration has bigger problems.
Exactly. In my opinion, discussions regarding the viability or appropriateness of the mission should be encouraged.

Originally Posted by ranger
When Howard Dean said that America wasn't any safer with Saddam gone, he was right.

I only wish I had believed him at the time.
Even a broken clock is right twice a day.
Old 12-06-05, 01:28 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by wendersfan
Dean's a loose cannon and should never have been made head of the party. For one thing, he's too high profile. How many party leaders in the past have been this well known to the general public? As such, he's running around like a 'minister without portfolio', alienating swing voters and not doing enough to build the organization, which is what someone in his position should be doing.

Also, the administration needs to ratchet down the language. Discussions on the home front regarding the viability or appropriateness of the mission should not be muzzled because of troop morale. If the troop morale is that fragile then the administration has bigger problems. In addition to that, commenting on Dean's comments just gives him more credibility and makes them look small and petty, neither of which is good, tactically.
Old 12-06-05, 01:36 PM

Originally Posted by mosquitobite
I just love it when my posts receive approbation across the political spectrum.
Old 12-06-05, 01:36 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Location: A secret rebel stronghold in the Republic of San Marcos
The fact is, overall, what Dean is saying is true. He just said it in a stupid way.

Something that Bush supporters should be intimately familiar with.

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.