Religion, Politics and World Events They make great dinner conversation, don't you think? plus Political Film

michaelmoore.com Hillary Clinton Co-Sponsors Anti-Flag Burning Bill

Old 12-05-05, 09:54 PM
Political Exile

michaelmoore.com Hillary Clinton Co-Sponsors Anti-Flag Burning Bill

http://www.michaelmoore.com/words/index.php?id=5078

December 5th, 2005 5:08 pm

Hillary Clinton Co-Sponsors Anti-Flag Burning Bill

A Republican bill that would ban some forms of flag burning has one Democratic co-sponsor: Senator Hillary Clinton.

Clinton is the sole co-sponsor of a bill that would make it a crime to intimidate anyone by burning a flag, burn someone else's flag, or destroy a flag on federal property.

The bill does not address the issue of a Constitutional amendment banning flag burning. Congressional lawyers believe the bill will withstand judicial review.

Clinton's move to co-sponsor the bill is seen by many observers as an apparent attempt to win over conservative voters as she preps for a possible run for the White House in 2008.

Meanwhile, Clinton is in the middle of a six-state campaign swing aimed at raising money for her Senate re-election – and possibly raising support for a potential run for the White House.

Clinton headlined a fundraiser for the Kentucky State Democratic Party in Louisville Friday night, where turnout exceeded expectations.

The ballroom at the convention center was filled to capacity, helping Clinton raise $600,000 for the party.

Kentucky is a solidly Republican state which George W. Bush easily won last year.

But Clinton supporters were buzzing about the possibility of a Clinton run in 2008.

"We're a border state and have been a red state, but I think we're really fed up with what's going on in Washington and we're ready for a candidate who will really run and really fight for the people," one supporter said.

"Do you want her to run for president? I would love her to run," said another. "I've never worked for a campaign in my life but I would work for her."

Clinton is also making stops in Chicago, Denver, Michigan and New Jersey.

She ends her tour in New York with a party in Manhattan on December 13.
Old 12-05-05, 10:06 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Race For The White House: 2008....and so it begins.

Next thing you know she's gonna be making out with Rush Limbaugh, while listening to Toby Keith as they fire AR15s (using .223 purchased at Wal-Mart) at targets resembling Bin-Laden.
Old 12-05-05, 10:48 PM
DVD Talk God

Why on earth would she need to appear conservative?
Old 12-05-05, 11:29 PM
Political Exile

Originally Posted by kvrdave
Why on earth would she need to appear conservative?
This bill is fascist.

Real conservatives would give you a long list of reasons why this bill is unconstitutional.
Old 12-05-05, 11:35 PM
Political Exile

If Hillary Clinton wanted to appear conservative, she would speak out in favor of gun rights, cutting marginal tax rates, and reducing government spending on social welfare programs.

Hillary doesn't support this flag burning bill because of pandering to the right. She supports this bill because she genuinly believes that the government should be as big and powerful as possible, and because the concept of "limited government" has no meaning to her.

Every step that she has take to the right has been to the fascist right: flag burning, video games, Patrot Act, Iraq War, war on drugs, etc.

She has done nothing whatsoever to appeal to the libertaran right, because she does not agree with any of the views of the libertarian right.
Old 12-05-05, 11:36 PM
Banned

How soon will the liberals wake up and realize that Hillary is a fake?
Old 12-05-05, 11:46 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Myster X
How soon will the liberals wake up and realize that Hillary is a fake?

Probably the same week the feminists quit idolizing her, which will be the week after she stands up as a "strong independent woman" and leaves her sleeze-bag of a husband.

That's the one thing I've never been able to wrap my head around: How can any woman who (1)calls herself a feminist or (2) is all for women's rights support either of the Clintons? Bill treats women in exactly the way the hardline leftist-Gloaria Steinham-NOW worshippers preceive all men to treat women.....but he none the less sits upon a pedestal, as does she.
Old 12-05-05, 11:49 PM

Originally Posted by grundle
If Hillary Clinton wanted to appear conservative, she would speak out in favor of gun rights, cutting marginal tax rates, and reducing government spending on social welfare programs.
She doesn't want to be conservative. She want to appear conservative.
Old 12-06-05, 06:09 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Whatever her reason, she gets a from me. Never thought I would say that...
Old 12-06-05, 06:17 AM
DVD Talk God

Sometimes a senator from the other party will agree to co-sponsor a measure to return a similiar favor. 'You co-sponsored mine. Now I'll co-sponsor yours.'

Let's not get all excited over this.
Old 12-06-05, 06:39 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Yes, but do you really think the republicans care enough about this bill, or Hillary's position on it, to work a deal out with Hillary in order to get her support? The bill is just a way to put on a show and gain political point, either by supporting it or opposing it, depending on from whom you want to get those points.
Old 12-06-05, 06:56 AM
Admin-Thanos

All this hard work and the Republican attack machine will still tear her to shreds.
Old 12-06-05, 06:59 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Real conservatives would give you a long list of reasons why this bill is unconstitutional.
Is that why so many conservatives supported such a bill during George Bush I's term?
Old 12-06-05, 07:08 AM
Admin-Thanos

Originally Posted by Brain Stew
Is that why so many conservatives supported such a bill during George Bush I's term?
I don't know what a "Real Conservative" is, but today's Conservatives would certainly support a flag burning bill. Perhaps a Libertarian wouldn't support this bill. I find it insteresting that you didn't start a thread about this until Hillary Clinton decided to co-sponsor the bill. It comes up almost every year on the floor of the House.
Old 12-06-05, 07:19 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Conservative ideas win. That's why Hillary has to move right to even have a chance to run.
Old 12-06-05, 07:19 AM
DVD Talk God

What do you think the majority of the American people feel about this?
Old 12-06-05, 07:32 AM
Admin-Thanos

Originally Posted by classicman2
What do you think the majority of the American people feel about this?
I'd say most don't care, but in general they're in favor of having the right to do it. I can't find any polling data on it though.

You know it's one of the proper ways to dispose of a flag.
Old 12-06-05, 07:36 AM
DVD Talk God

You're on a roll today - totally wrong on two threads.
Old 12-06-05, 07:37 AM
DVD Talk God

http://www.landmarkcases.org/texas/data_analysis.html

Group Percentage who would vote for a Constitutional Amendment to protect the flag:

Men 78%
Women 83%
Age 18–34 76%
Age 35–54 80%
Age 55+ 84%
Northeast 82%
Midwest 83%
South 78%
West 80%
HS/Less Education 86%
Some College 80%
College Grads 67%
Whites 82%
Blacks 71%
Republicans 85%
Democrats 78%
Independents 78%
Conservative Democrats 86%
Conservative Republicans 84%
Moderate/Liberal Democrats 72%
Moderate/Liberal Republicans 90%

Last edited by classicman2; 12-06-05 at 07:51 AM.
Old 12-06-05, 07:44 AM
DVD Talk God

The above figures might be one consideration that Hillary is thinking about.
Old 12-06-05, 07:49 AM
Admin-Thanos

Originally Posted by classicman2
You're on a roll today - totally wrong on two threads.
Perhaps you could provide a link to those results, or should I assume they come from the Classicman News Network?
Old 12-06-05, 08:18 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Wait, wait, wait.

Clinton is the sole co-sponsor of a bill that would make it a crime to intimidate anyone by burning a flag, burn someone else's flag, or destroy a flag on federal property.
Well, I would think it would already be illegal to burn someone else's property and to terrorize someone. Only the last restriction seems problematic to me, unless they're burning a flag already on federal property. Buring your own flag on federal property should be allowed.
Old 12-06-05, 08:23 AM

I'm deeply conflicted, since having an opinion about this would necessitate agreeing with either Michael Moore or Senator Clinton. Well, not really, of course. I think Senator Clinton is wrong and Mr. Moore is a stopped clock.
Old 12-06-05, 08:28 AM
DVD Talk God

If you could get a flag burning amendment pass the Senate, I believe it would be ratified.

No, I'm not in favor of such an amendment.

Last edited by classicman2; 12-06-05 at 08:33 AM.
Old 12-06-05, 08:34 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Already illegal, already illegal, and unconstitutional.

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.