Religion, Politics and World Events They make great dinner conversation, don't you think? plus Political Film

Did Sen. Kerry Call American Troops Terrorists on FTN?

Old 12-05-05, 02:50 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Did Sen. Kerry Call American Troops Terrorists on FTN?

link to transcript is here.

And there is no reason, Bob, that young American soldiers need to be going into the homes of Iraqis in the dead of night terrorizing kids and children, you know, women, breaking sort of the customs of the--of--the historical customs, religious customs.
of course, with his next line, he implicitly states that it is ok for the iraqi security forces to terrorize the population. does senator kerry truly believe that american forces are there solely to steal into the homes of innocents in the middle of the night and play boogeyman with their wives and children? where was bob schieffer's follow up to this type of rhetoric?
Old 12-05-05, 02:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Based on my reading of the quote, the answer to your thread title question is "absolutely not".
Old 12-05-05, 02:52 PM
Admin-Thanos

That's it, I'm not voting for Kerry anymore!
Old 12-05-05, 02:54 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by kms_md
does senator kerry truly believe that american forces are there solely to steal into the homes of innocents in the middle of the night and play boogeyman with their wives and children?
How do you get "solely" out of that remark?
Old 12-05-05, 02:56 PM

link to transcript is here.

of course, with his next line, he implicitly states that it is ok for the iraqi security forces to terrorize the population. does senator kerry truly believe that american forces are there solely to steal into the homes of innocents in the middle of the night and play boogeyman with their wives and children? where was bob schieffer's follow up to this type of rhetoric?
1. Please post the statement that implies "it is ok for the iraqi security forces to terrorize the population." I would prefer not to take your word for it, if you don't mind.

2. Senator Kerry did not call US troops terrorists.

3. Please explain how you stretch "...young American soldiers need to be going into the homes of Iraqis in the dead of night terrorizing kids and children, you know, women..." into that is what they are there solely to do. Is posting on DVD Talk the only thing <i>you</i> do?
Old 12-05-05, 03:00 PM

Yeah, I am going to have to go with a negative.
Old 12-05-05, 03:01 PM
DVD Talk Ruler

How long will Democrats turn a blind eye to this guy?

I think everyone knows what Kerry meant here, and he didn't mean that U.S. soldiers are terrorists.
Old 12-05-05, 03:02 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by General Zod
How long will Democrats turn a blind eye to this guy?

But the answer is no.
Old 12-05-05, 03:22 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

this is a very poorly worded and inflammatory statement (much like the thread title ) from someone who is regarded as a leader in the democratic party. it depicts american soldiers as thuggish brutes. while i am sure that private homes have been raided, and i am also pretty sure that at times women and children have been involved, i do not believe that american troops invaded homes with the solitary goal of causing terror, which is what it sounds like he is saying. i am pretty sure home invasions are undertaken to search out insurgents and terrorists, who have done a fine job of murdering and displacing their fare share of women and children.
Old 12-05-05, 03:24 PM

i do not believe that american troops invaded homes with the solitary goal of causing terror, which is what it sounds like he is saying.
That's what it sounds like he's saying <b>to you</b>. It appears as if you are in a pretty small minority, too.
Old 12-05-05, 03:33 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Is it any surprise that the knee-jerk partisans like Pharoh, kvrdave, and General Zod are rushing to defend Kerry? Geez -- is there anything this guy could do that would make you say anything bad about him?
Old 12-05-05, 03:39 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by wendersfan
That's what it sounds like he's saying <b>to you</b>. It appears as if you are in a pretty small minority, too.
then what is he saying? he did not refer to this in any of his preceding or following comments. he simply drops the statement that american soldiers are terrorizing women and children. he chooses not to give context regarding situations in which american troops enter private homes.

the host did not ask follow up as well.

Last edited by kms_md; 12-05-05 at 03:50 PM.
Old 12-05-05, 03:41 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

We're raping their childhood just like George Lucas and Michael Eisner taught us to.
Old 12-05-05, 03:41 PM

then what is he saying? he did not refer to this in any of his preceding or following comments. the host did not ask follow up as well.
He's saying he doesn't think American troops should be engaging in that type of behavior. FULL STOP. END OF SENTENCE.
Old 12-05-05, 03:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

He is saying that some Iraqis certainly do view U.S. soldiers as "thuggish brutes".

Up next on FoxNews: Zell Miller gives a thoughtful and objective review of Kerry's comments.
Old 12-05-05, 03:44 PM
DVD Talk Hero

i do not believe that american troops invaded homes with the solitary goal of causing terror, which is what it sounds like he is saying.
If you really think that's what he's saying, you have shown a clear lack of understanding of John Kerry and the situation at hand. Pulling a small quote does not usually give a clear view of a politician's views on a situation. It should be painfully obvious that is <B>not</B> Kerry's stance, and this is the type of discussion that, if intended seriously, only contributes to the lack of real discussion on a serious topic. We've seen this approach against Bush on a persistent basis for years now... it would be foolish to be accepting of it against Kerry now, just as it was foolish against Kerry during the election. Honest opinions should not be formed on such speculative statements. I didn't think anyone actually took this stuff seriously, but perhaps some people do. It's clear they do against Bush, I guess I shouldn't expect any better from the other side of the aisle. Still, these are the things that just dillute conversation into partisan drivel.
Old 12-05-05, 03:44 PM
DVD Talk Ruler

Originally Posted by JasonF
Is it any surprise that the knee-jerk partisans like Pharoh, kvrdave, and General Zod are rushing to defend Kerry? Geez -- is there anything this guy could do that would make you say anything bad about him?
Run for president?
Old 12-05-05, 03:45 PM

In the following sentence, Senator Kerry is stating that Iraqi troops should be the ones searching the homes of Iraqi citizens, for two reasons: a) they are presumably more culturally sensitive to the religious and social customs of the citizenry, and b) it's better from a public relations standpoint. The two are obviously related. I agree with him, BTW.
Old 12-05-05, 04:11 PM

And there is no reason, Bob, that young American soldiers need to be going into the homes of Iraqis in the dead of night terrorizing kids and children, you know, women, breaking sort of the customs of the--of--the historical customs, religious customs
is followed by

Whether you like it or not, Iraqis should be doing that
If you think the first qoute amounts to Kerry calling US troops terrorists, I guess you also mean that the second one amounts to Kerry calling for more Iraqis to be trained as terrorists to take the place of said US terrorists?
Old 12-05-05, 04:19 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by General Zod
Run for president?
Old 12-05-05, 04:26 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by run1
is followed by

If you think the first qoute amounts to Kerry calling US troops terrorists, I guess you also mean that the second one amounts to Kerry calling for more Iraqis to be trained as terrorists to take the place of said US terrorists?
which is my point. the use of the verb "to terrorize", especially in the context of the middle east, is especially inflammatory, and in the context of american troops, derogatory.

btw, i agree that americans forcefully entering and searching iraqi homes is inflammatory and the use of iraqi forces for said missions would be less so.
Old 12-05-05, 04:31 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by JasonF
Words can hurt, too, you know.
Old 12-05-05, 04:36 PM

Originally Posted by Numanoid
How do you get "solely" out of that remark?
Bingo! I can imagine millions of situations where even good actions could terrorize my or others kids. How about beating the crap out of someone attacking us. That is certainly traumatic.

This is a linguistical problem.
Old 12-05-05, 04:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

which is my point. the use of the verb "to terrorize", especially in the context of the middle east, is especially inflammatory, and in the context of american troops, derogatory.

btw, i agree that americans forcefully entering and searching iraqi homes is inflammatory and the use of iraqi forces for said missions would be less so.
I think people really do need to consider the broader use of the word "terrorize".

I would be "terrorized" if a gang member came up to me with a gun.

I would be "terrorized" if a SWAT team raided my house.

I would be "terrorized" if an electric transformer blew up near me.

But I like what a professor used to say - "They were frightened at the highest level."
Old 12-05-05, 05:12 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by kvrdave
Words can hurt, too, you know.
Whiny touchy-feely hippie.

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.