Religion, Politics and World Events They make great dinner conversation, don't you think? plus Political Film

10 Marines Killed in Iraq Bombing

Old 12-02-05, 11:19 AM
DVD Talk God

10 Marines Killed in Iraq Bombing

Yahoo news:

Reuters

By Will Dunham

Ten U.S. Marines conducting a foot patrol outside Falluja were killed by an insurgent bomb on Thursday in one of the deadliest attacks on U.S. forces in Iraq this year, the U.S. military announced on Friday.

The deaths came as President George W. Bush struggles to boost waning U.S. public support for the war, and as a growing U.S. troop-casualty toll has fueled calls by critics for a timetable to withdraw troops.

In a statement released in Falluja, the military said another 11 Marines were wounded in the blast, which was caused by an "improvised explosive device" fashioned from several large artillery shells. Seven of those wounded have been able to return to duty, the military said.

The attack was one of the worst single incidents to hit U.S. Marines in the war.

In another deadly incident, 14 Marines died on August 3 south of Haditha in western Iraq, when their Amphibious Assault Vehicle was blown up with a roadside bomb made from three land mines.

The military statement said that Marines "continue to conduct counterinsurgency operations throughout Falluja and surrounding areas to provide a secure environment for the national elections, December 15."

Iraqi voters choose a new government in those elections, which the Bush administration hopes will help stabilize the country.

The Pentagon's official tally on Friday of U.S. military deaths in the war was 2,125, with nearly 16,000 more wounded in combat.

The incident near Falluja occurred a day after Bush outlined vision for victory in Iraq , in a speech that acknowledged the U.S. military has sustained "setbacks" in the campaign.

The United States has roughly 160,000 troops in Iraq, having built up the force to help provide extra security for the elections.

In his speech, Bush rejected calls for a timetable on bringing troops home, but said a reduction in troop levels may be possible as Iraqi security forces assume a bigger role.

The Marines who were killed were part of Regimental Combat Team 8 of the 2nd Marine Division, part of the II Marine Expeditionary Force, the military said.
Old 12-02-05, 11:22 AM
DVD Talk Ruler

Does anyone know exactly how to stop these road-side bombs? I mean it seems like it's a relatively easy thing for them to make and not sure how you would detect it. Do they go in the ground? Seems like it's the leading cause of casualties, you would think we would figure out how to detect them - but apparently we're not being very successful at it. Unless it's one of those we are getting hit by 1 out of every 10 we diffuse things..
Old 12-02-05, 11:27 AM
DVD Talk Legend

stop being on the road in Iraq?
Old 12-02-05, 11:28 AM
DVD Talk God

foot patrol?
Old 12-02-05, 11:34 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I just saw on TV - CNN - that the 10 killed were part of a foot patrol, not in a vehicle.
Old 12-02-05, 11:36 AM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by Mammal
I just saw on TV - CNN - that the 10 killed were part of a foot patrol, not in a vehicle.
That's what I wonder. Why a foot patrol? Reuters said it occurred outside of Falluja.
Old 12-02-05, 11:38 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Just yesterday I got a "Plan for Victory in Iraq" email foward newsletter from the RNC chairman. I think it's time to add him to my block list.
Old 12-02-05, 11:41 AM
DVD Talk Hero

This is one of the most devastating attacks since the war began. I don't look forward to seeing who was lost.
Old 12-02-05, 12:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I heard a bit of Rush Limbaugh yesterday, and he was chiding Kerry for making comments about the lack of safety for our troops. Rush was coming off like it's expected to have the troops die because that's what they're there for (I'm giving my impression of what I heard - not quoting), but as a vet, I thought it was a lousy position to take, much less state. The purpose of the troops is not to go out and be killed!

I know we can't abandon this mess, but I wish we could limit the casualties until it's over. My thoughts go to these ten and the thousands of others who have lost their lives in Iraq.
Old 12-02-05, 12:34 PM
Admin-Thanos

Originally Posted by General Zod
Does anyone know exactly how to stop these road-side bombs? I mean it seems like it's a relatively easy thing for them to make and not sure how you would detect it. Do they go in the ground? Seems like it's the leading cause of casualties, you would think we would figure out how to detect them - but apparently we're not being very successful at it. Unless it's one of those we are getting hit by 1 out of every 10 we diffuse things..
From what I've seen in some interviews with the troops, they are very crafty in disguising the bombs. Freakin' sucks.
Old 12-02-05, 12:34 PM
DVD Talk Ruler

Originally Posted by Mammal
Right. I'm assuming it's sort of the same deal where they were walking by and the bomb blew up .. as opposed to driving by and the bomb blows up. Same question applies though. Are these not spottable? I'm just not sure how you combat this. Perhaps start having captured insurgents walk in front of the vehicles as you go? That's not a bad idea..
Old 12-02-05, 12:47 PM
Admin-Thanos

Right. I'm assuming it's sort of the same deal where they were walking by and the bomb blew up .. as opposed to driving by and the bomb blows up. Same question applies though. Are these not spottable? I'm just not sure how you combat this. Perhaps start having captured insurgents walk in front of the vehicles as you go? That's not a bad idea..
And you think the enemy values human life, ours or their own?
That won't stop a thing.
Old 12-02-05, 12:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Bronkster
I heard a bit of Rush Limbaugh yesterday, and he was chiding Kerry for making comments about the lack of safety for our troops. Rush was coming off like it's expected to have the troops die because that's what they're there for (I'm giving my impression of what I heard - not quoting), but as a vet, I thought it was a lousy position to take, much less state. The purpose of the troops is not to go out and be killed!

I know we can't abandon this mess, but I wish we could limit the casualties until it's over. My thoughts go to these ten and the thousands of others who have lost their lives in Iraq.
Yeah, that many marines out on foot patrol in a place like Falluja is unacceptable.
Old 12-02-05, 12:53 PM
Admin-Thanos

Originally Posted by Ranger
Yeah, that many marines out on foot patrol in a place like Falluja is unacceptable.
From what I've heard, they have explosives that will penetrate everything, including Abrahams tanks. It's getting real fun over there for our guys.
Old 12-02-05, 12:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

They were on nighttime patrol. Not realy easy to look around for bombs.
Old 12-02-05, 02:30 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by classicman2
That's what I wonder. Why a foot patrol? Reuters said it occurred outside of Falluja.
I guess a foot patrol is more effective - you can't see as much from armored vehicles, and those get blown up regularly. How did 10 people get killed at once? Must have been quite a sophisticated bomb, or group of connected bombs, or some folks bunched up.

The military and admin have been trying to present the war in a favorable light but this news doesn't help.
Old 12-02-05, 07:38 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Bartertown due to it having a better economy than where I really live, Buffalo NY
Old 12-03-05, 12:05 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Bronkster

Typical Rush. Don't listen to Rush or Hannity expecting to hear anything but the party line. Although I have heard the occasional funny fake commercial on Rush, Hannity just comes across as bitter and angry.

Anyway, I agree with you on your opinion of Rush's opinion (or something).
Old 12-03-05, 12:20 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by VinVega
From what I've heard, they have explosives that will penetrate everything, including Abrahams tanks.
I never read the Bible but now I'm intrigued.
Old 12-03-05, 04:11 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by Ranger
Really, how so?

Marines are footsoldiers. That's what they are trained for. We'll never win if the troops aren't out patrolling and interacting with the Iraqi people.

Last edited by funkyryno; 12-03-05 at 04:15 AM.
Old 12-03-05, 06:57 AM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by funkyryno
Really, how so?

Marines are footsoldiers. That's what they are trained for. We'll never win if the troops aren't out patrolling and interacting with the Iraqi people.
You don' 'interact' with the Iraqi people on a night patrol.

You're there for a different purpose.

Marines and army are much more than footsoldiers. Most of their fighting capability (now) is not on a foot patrol.
Old 12-03-05, 07:24 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Location: Where the sky is always Carolina Blue! (Currently VA - again...)
It was an IED, not a roadside bomb. The two are not necessarily the same thing just like they're not mutually exclusive.
Old 12-03-05, 09:36 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Does anyone know exactly how to stop these road-side bombs?
There is no way to stop them. A large organized, mechanized force is not effective against an enemy that doesn't wear a uniform and wages gurella warfare. We've been encountering this constantly since Viet Nam, but all we do is keep designing and building laser-guided smart weapons to blow up the Soviet Union.
Old 12-03-05, 09:56 AM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by Jason
There is no way to stop them. A large organized, mechanized force is not effective against an enemy that doesn't wear a uniform and wages gurella warfare. We've been encountering this constantly since Viet Nam, but all we do is keep designing and building laser-guided smart weapons to blow up the Soviet Union.
And I disagree with that assessment.
Old 12-03-05, 10:19 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Jason
You obviously haven't seen footage of our troops destorying these things while on patrol. No, you can't catch them all, and the techniques will keep changing. But technology is certainly improving in these matters, and many of them have been rendered ineffective.

As far as smart weapons... well, there's a reason we didn't have more than 2,500 coalition casualties in the first day of this war, and why Iraqi civilian casualties aren't in the hundred of thousands.

Last edited by Th0r S1mpson; 12-03-05 at 10:24 AM.

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.