Religion, Politics and World Events They make great dinner conversation, don't you think? plus Political Film

Bush's Approval Rating is Up!! [merged]

Old 12-02-05, 08:58 AM
DVD Talk God

Bush's Approval Rating is Up!!

Fox News:

By Dana Blanton

NEW YORK — President George W. Bush's approval rating recovered a few points in the week's FOX News poll, though slightly more Americans still disapprove than approve of his job performance. On the issue of pre-Iraq war intelligence, roughly equal numbers of Americans think the president shared the best information available as think he intentionally misled the country.

Today, 42 percent of Americans approve and 48 percent disapprove of the job President Bush is doing. Bush regained 6 percentage points from his standing earlier this month of 36 percent approval — the lowest approval of his presidency (November 8-9).

Much of this week's improvement can be attributed to increases in approval among Republicans (+ 6 percentage points), men (+ 8 points) and independents (+10 points).

"Some of the improvement may also be due to President Bush’s Wednesday speech on Iraq," comments Opinion Dynamics Chairman John Gorman. "Interviews finished before the speech show a 40 percent approval rate, while those done after the speech show 43 percent approval. If any of this is due to the speech it may very well be temporary."

The long-standing polarization between the parties continues, as there are almost as many Republicans that approve of the job Bush is doing (78 percent), as there are Democrats that disapprove (80 percent). Among independents, 36 percent approve and 49 percent disapprove.

Overall, the public is sharply divided on whether before going to war President Bush knowingly gave the wrong impression about Iraq's weapons capabilities: 46 percent think the president gave Americans the best prewar intelligence available and 44 percent think he intentionally misled the country about the presence of weapons of mass destruction.

Here again, there are predictable partisan differences: 79 percent of Republicans think Bush gave Americans the best available prewar intelligence, while 72 percent of Democrats think he misled the country. Independents split, as 45 percent think Bush misled Americans and 43 percent disagree.

In addition, some Americans think there are still weapons of mass destruction in Iraq. A 42 percent plurality thinks Iraq had weapons before the war and moved or destroyed them, while 28 percent think there were no WMD at all. Almost one in five (19 percent) think there are still WMD in Iraq.

The current results are almost unchanged from opinions about a year and a half ago. At that time, 44 percent said the weapons were moved or destroyed, 28 percent said Iraq did not have any such weapons and 22 percent thought the weapons were still there (April 2004).

Opinion Dynamics Corporation conducted the national telephone poll of 900 registered voters for FOX News on November 29-30.

In a speech to the Naval Academy this week, President Bush said the United States will "stay as long as necessary" in Iraq, and a recent FOX News poll found that a majority of Americans (55 percent) want U.S. troops to stay in Iraq and finish the job (Nov 8-9).

Even so, the new poll finds that by 47 percent to 41 percent, more Americans think there should be a publicly announced timetable for withdrawing troops than disagree.

By a 20 percentage point margin Americans disagree with Sen. John McCain's, R-Ariz., recent suggestion that more troops are needed to achieve success in Iraq, and more people think having U.S. troops in Iraq encourages (44 percent) rather than discourages (31 percent) terrorist attacks by the insurgents.

What would have happened if the United States had stayed out? Just over half of Americans (52 percent) think the world would be worse off and a 59 percent majority thinks Iraq would be worse off, if the U.S. military had not taken action.

These poll results seem to differ quite a bit from the Gallup poll of just a few days ago.
Old 12-02-05, 09:01 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Two exclamation points, huh? You sure seem to be excited about this news.
Old 12-02-05, 09:02 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by classicman2
These poll results seem to differ quite a bit from the Gallup poll of just a few days ago.
Two words: Fox News.
Old 12-02-05, 09:04 AM

I continue to maintain that the Gallup Poll is the only poll that should be considered when discussing public approval of the president, since they have been using a consistent methodology for over 50 years.
Old 12-02-05, 09:08 AM
DVD Talk God

Opinion Dynamic Research, an independent polling company, polls for Fox News - just as Gallup polls for other news organizations.
Old 12-02-05, 09:32 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

glad to see people are having faith in him once again
Old 12-02-05, 09:39 AM

Gas prices are down.
Old 12-02-05, 09:42 AM
DVD Talk Hero

It's crazy to me how much these polls change based on talking points rather than concrete change. That goes for both Bush's dip in the polls and his (most likely) eventual rebound. Of course, it could also be the way questions are stated related to recent events and speeches, so it's really hard to say what it's a true indicator of.

I don't see how someone could change their mind on the Iraq war based on what has happened in the past 6 months. What changed for them?
Old 12-02-05, 09:48 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

So, more people still disapprove of Bush? How is this news?
Old 12-02-05, 09:49 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Morf
So, more people still disapprove of Bush? How is this news?

so Classicman2 can continue to claim he's a moderate
Old 12-02-05, 09:56 AM
DVD Talk God

I've never said I'm a moderate. I have said I'm a centrist - there is a difference.
Old 12-02-05, 09:59 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Dead cat bounce...
Old 12-02-05, 12:29 PM
Admin-Thanos

Originally Posted by Geofferson
Gas prices are down.
Bingo!

Actually, I think the latest bump has more to do with the speech at the Naval Academy and the release of the "strategy for victory" in Iraq. To some it appears that Bush is taking things seriously and the administration has some plan for the future of Iraq and some sort of goals to reach.

Interestingly enough, Bush bottomed out at 36% approval rating in a FOX poll (11/8/05), so don't just throw it out the window because FOX sponsored the poll. Here's a link to the summary of polls from pollingreport.com:

Pollingreport.com

edit - I just noticed that he was one point below that in a 10/30 poll from CBS. That one you can discount because we all know that CBS is just a bunch of liberal hippies.

Last edited by VinVega; 12-02-05 at 03:42 PM.
Old 12-03-05, 11:31 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

if you go to Pollingreport.com (think thats the site) and see his approval rating when ever FOX NEWS has there poll it always has the highest percentage of error.
Old 12-03-05, 11:40 AM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by maingon
if you go to Pollingreport.com (think thats the site) and see his approval rating when ever FOX NEWS has there poll it always has the highest percentage of error.
What's the name of the organization that rates the poll?

PollingReport.com doesn't yield anything.

Last edited by classicman2; 12-03-05 at 11:42 AM.
Old 12-05-05, 09:35 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

President Bush Job Approval (Rasmussen)

I beat Cman!

http://www.rasmussenreports.com/Bush_Job_Approval.htm

Monday December 05, 2005--Forty-eight percent (48%) of American adults approve of the way George W. Bush is performing his role as President. That's the President's highest rating since October 8.
Old 12-05-05, 09:45 AM
DVD Talk God

Can we get a moderator to move this thread to the proper place on the forum?
Old 12-05-05, 09:54 AM
Admin-Thanos

I don't know what Rasputin has to do with Bush's numbers, but that alone makes me suspicious.

Last edited by VinVega; 12-05-05 at 12:21 PM.
Old 12-05-05, 10:14 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Note that Rasmussen has been consistently tracking about 10 points higher than most other polls, so I think this puts the President's approval rating somewhere south of 40.
Old 12-05-05, 10:16 AM
DVD Talk God

It coincides the Opinion Dynamics Poll.
Old 12-05-05, 10:20 AM

Originally Posted by JasonF
Note that Rasmussen has been consistently tracking about 10 points higher than most other polls, so I think this puts the President's approval rating somewhere south of 40.
Some recent polls seem to have it in the low 40s.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/afp/20051204...l_051204182334
Sun Dec 4, 1:24 PM ET

WASHINGTON (AFP) - Low job approval ratings continue to dog US
President George W. Bush, with three in five Americans saying they will choose someone "completely different" when they next vote for president in 2008.

The poll, in Time magazine, also showed that some 53 percent of Americans disapprove of his performance, against 41 percent who approve, a figure consisent with low ratings for the president in recent weeks.

Looking forward to the 2008 election, 60 percent of respondents surveyed by Time said they would like the next president to be "completely different" from Bush, while 36 percent would like someone similar.

Sixty percent also said they disapprove of Bush's handling of
Iraq, while 38 percent approve, and 50 percent said that the United States was wrong to invade the country.

On the controversial topic of prewar intelligence, 45 percent believe the president was truthful and honest in laying out the case for war while 48 percent believe the president deliberately misled Americans.

Respondents to the telephone survey, which was conducted between November 29 and December 1 and polled a national random sample of 1,004 adults, split on whether Bush can regain public support, with about half (46 percent) saying he is likely to recover earlier good standing with the public, and half (49 percent) saying he is unlikely to recover.

Last edited by nemein; 12-05-05 at 10:23 AM.
Old 12-05-05, 11:03 AM

As stated many many times, Rasmussen polls are worthless.
Old 12-05-05, 11:18 AM
DVD Talk God

Which poll has had the best record over the past two presidential and congressional elections?
Old 12-05-05, 11:41 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Which poll has had the best record over the past two presidential and congressional elections?
The ones that counted.

I understand sample size can yield good results, but I rarely see a sample size that satisfies me until an actual election, especially given all the uncertainly of even exit polls. It would probably help if I saw demographics from a poll (x from each state, y from counties that voted republican, z from counties that voted dem, etc). That information may be out there and I just haven't seen it. I also know that true precision isn't as necessary since these polls aren't determining the outcome of an election. The manner in which polls are conducted (over the phone, etc) is important demographically, as well as the actual list of questions that were asked. Maybe I need to look into the polling process a little more, because I'm still at a loss for how public opinion could sway such great amount based on no real change.
Old 12-05-05, 11:45 AM

The one taken biennially on the Tues of the first full week in Nov It's the only poll that really matters IMHO.

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.