Religion, Politics and World Events They make great dinner conversation, don't you think? plus Political Film

Marble chunk falls from top of Supreme Court

Old 11-28-05, 12:00 PM

http://today.reuters.com/news/newsAr...archived=False

Mon Nov 28, 2005 11:47 AM ET164

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - A chunk of marble fell from near the roof of the U.S. Supreme Court onto the stairs in the front of the building but no one was injured, a court spokeswoman said on Monday.

Spokeswoman Kathy Arberg said a piece marble about one-foot square, from what was thought to be dentil molding at the top of the building, fell about 9:30 a.m. (1430 GMT). There was no one on the stairs at the time, a half hour before the opening of the court's session.

The marble was above the inscription near the top of the building saying, "Equal Justice Under Law" and above the allegorical figure representing "Order," one of nine sculptured figures on the pediment.

She had no explanation why it fell, but said it was not related to the construction work occurring as part of the renovation of the building. She said no work is currently taking place on the front the building, which faces the U.S. Capitol.

The original construction on the front of the building took place about 70 years ago.
Hmm...
Old 11-28-05, 12:03 PM

What more evidence do you need that Bush's appointments are ruining the SC
Old 11-28-05, 12:04 PM
DVD Talk Ruler

Our justice system is falling apart!!
Old 11-29-05, 12:17 AM

I blame the liberals. Damn hippies.
Old 11-29-05, 10:20 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Waiting for Pat Robertson to claim this is a sign from God to overturn RvW...
Old 11-29-05, 10:22 AM
DVD Talk God

Too bad it wasn't the 'Moses part' that fell. That would have solved a lot of problems for some of our members.
Old 11-29-05, 02:28 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by classicman2
Too bad it wasn't the 'Moses part' that fell. That would have solved a lot of problems for some of our members.
Which members have a problem with a frieze of Moses being on the Supreme Court building?
Old 11-29-05, 02:33 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by JasonF
Which members have a problem with a frieze of Moses being on the Supreme Court building?

Before he answers the question, I'll chime in with a preemptive "I don't." I couldn't care less about Moses being there.
Old 11-29-05, 03:07 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by Red Dog
Before he answers the question, I'll chime in with a preemptive "I don't." I couldn't care less about Moses being there.
Then I must assume you're not concerned about the Ten Commandments being a courthouse in Alabama.
Old 11-29-05, 03:07 PM

Is Michael Newdow a member?
Old 11-29-05, 03:10 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Then I must assume you're not concerned about the Ten Commandments being a courthouse in Alabama.
That'd be a really big replica.
Old 11-29-05, 03:12 PM
DVD Talk God

Concerned? Heck no. I don't give a rat's ass whether a judge wants to put an ugly-ass monument up or not.

That doesn't mean I'll say that such an action is constitutional if someone is bothered enough by it to challenge it.

Now how about those folks who are concerned enough to fall down and cry when said monument isn't allowed to be there?
Old 11-29-05, 03:15 PM
DVD Talk God

Therefore, if someone objects to the Ten Commandments display in the SC building, that display in unconstitutional?
Old 11-29-05, 03:23 PM
DVD Talk God

Therefore, if someone objects to the Ten Commandments display in the SC building, that display in unconstitutional?

I think it is unconstitutional, but that doesn't mean I have a problem with it - it isn't worth getting one's panties in a bunch about just like it isn't when said references to god are removed.

There are numerous things done by the government that I find to be unconstitutional. Some I find deeply troubling and have problems with; some I don't. Regardless, problematic or not, I'll give an honest assessment of whether the action is constitutionally sound.
Old 11-29-05, 05:39 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Too bad it didn't fall on ___________ (insert nominee here).
Old 11-29-05, 10:11 PM
DVD Talk Hero

The difference between a frieze commemorating a variety of lawgivers (both religious and secular), on the one hand, and the laws of a particular religion, on the other, has been explained to you numerous times.
Old 11-30-05, 06:33 AM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by JasonF
The difference between a frieze commemorating a variety of lawgivers (both religious and secular), on the one hand, and the laws of a particular religion, on the other, has been explained to you numerous times.
You're reaching again. Tell me again about the 'difference' in the one in Kentucky & the one in Texas.
Old 11-30-05, 08:59 AM
DVD Talk God

You're reaching again. Tell me again about the 'difference' in the one in Kentucky & the one in Texas.

That's not what JasonF was referring to. He was comparing the Roy Moore monument which was only the 10C to other displays that contain a variety of law-making texts including the 10C.

I totally agree with you that the distinction btwn the Texas and Kentucky cases is sheer lunacy, but hey, that's Justice Breyer for ya.

Last edited by Red Dog; 11-30-05 at 09:01 AM.