Religion, Politics and World Events They make great dinner conversation, don't you think? plus Political Film

Liberal teacher questioned for administering anti-Bush quiz

Old 11-25-05, 11:45 PM
Banned

Liberal teacher questioned for administering anti-Bush quiz

No wonder public school is failing.

http://www.cnn.com/2005/EDUCATION/11....ap/index.html

BENNINGTON, Vermont (AP) -- A high school teacher is facing questions from administrators after giving a vocabulary quiz that included digs at President Bush and the extreme right.

Bret Chenkin, a social studies and English teacher at Mount Anthony Union High School, said he gave the quiz to his students several months ago. The quiz asked students to pick the proper words to complete sentences.

One example: "I wish Bush would be (coherent, eschewed) for once during a speech, but there are theories that his everyday diction charms the below-average mind, hence insuring him Republican votes." "Coherent" is the right answer.

Principal Sue Maguire said she hoped to speak to whomever complained about the quiz and any students who might be concerned. She said she also would talk with Chenkin. School Superintendent Wesley Knapp said he was taking the situation seriously.

"It's absolutely unacceptable," Knapp said. "They (teachers) don't have a license to hold forth on a particular standpoint."

Chenkin, 36, a teacher for seven years, said he isn't shy about sharing his liberal views with students as a way of prompting debate, but said the quizzes are being taken out of context.

"The kids know it's hyperbolic, so-to-speak," he said. "They know it's tongue in cheek." But he said he would change his teaching methods if some are concerned.

"I'll put in both sides," he said. "Especially if it's going to cause a lot of grief."

The school is in Bennington, a community of about 16,500 in the southwest corner of the state.
Old 11-26-05, 12:09 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

It's Vermont. So what?
Old 11-26-05, 12:14 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I'm sure from now on he will be fair and balanced with his indoctrination.
Old 11-26-05, 07:36 AM
bhk
DVD Talk Legend

The losers can't beat Bush so they have fantasy shows where a lib is president and another where they try to indoctrinate people to the idea of Hillary Clinton as president.
This is just another part of it.

edited to add:
In college many a time I had to bite my tongue and not argue with the prof because I didn't want some idiot liberal humanities professor ruining the rest of my career.
Old 11-26-05, 07:48 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Originally Posted by bhk
The losers can't beat Bush so they have fantasy shows where a lib is president and another where they try to indoctrinate people to the idea of Hillary Clinton as president.
...although there will be a Democrat president soon. And a Republican president sometime after that, and a Democrat president sometime after that...

I mean, in the entire history of this country, you've never had a party control the office for more than three consecutive presidents (at least if you ignore Garfield, so let's ignore Garfield!), so it stands to reason that there will be a shift in power in the not-too-distant future. And another one after that, another one after that, etc., etc., etc.

Regardless of political affiliation, I think that kind of test is repulsive.
Old 11-26-05, 07:53 AM
bhk
DVD Talk Legend

...but even the best and the brightest of the dem party still won't have beaten that "moron" Bush.

Otherwise, I agree with your post.
Old 11-26-05, 08:01 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Originally Posted by bhk
...but even the best and the brightest of the dem party still won't have beaten that "moron" Bush.
Although I'm not arguing that point either. I'm just about of the opinion that anyone who wants to be president, regardless of political affiliation, shouldn't be allowed to hold office.
Old 11-26-05, 09:22 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Once she's given a Bill O'Reilly approved cirriculum, everything will be all right again.
Old 11-26-05, 10:54 AM

Well, I think it's great.

Back when I was in high school, many of the teachers weren't shy about sharing their political beliefs, especially in history, poli sci, and econ classes. The students knew where the teachers stood, and vice versa, and there was a healthy give and take between everyone, along with some good-natured ribbing, which is what I suspect is happening in this case. Some of my teachers were very liberal, and others were very conservative, and I respected them all equally, regardless of whether their beliefs matched mine or not.

At a certain point, probably beginning in high school, people need to start treating kids more like adults and assume they can begin forming independent opinions about what they're taught. If a conservative high school student can't have their opinions hold up when confronted with a silly test like this, then those opinions probably aren't well founded to begin with. One of the major functions of education is to give challenges to one's beliefs. It's not brainwashing, it's critical thinking.
Old 11-26-05, 11:11 AM
DVD Talk Hero

i think the teacher should be fired

i had some hippie teachers in school and not one of them gave an assignment deriding reagan or any other political figure.
Old 11-26-05, 11:19 AM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by wendersfan

Back when I was in high school, many of the teachers weren't shy about sharing their political beliefs, especially in history, poli sci, and econ classes. The students knew where the teachers stood, and vice versa, and there was a healthy give and take between everyone, along with some good-natured ribbing, which is what I suspect is happening in this case. Some of my teachers were very liberal, and others were very conservative, and I respected them all equally, regardless of whether their beliefs matched mine or not.

At a certain point, probably beginning in high school, people need to start treating kids more like adults and assume they can begin forming independent opinions about what they're taught. If a conservative high school student can't have their opinions hold up when confronted with a silly test like this, then those opinions probably aren't well founded to begin with. One of the major functions of education is to give challenges to one's beliefs. It's not brainwashing, it's critical thinking.
Using your logic that they are mature enough to make their own decisions - critical thinking, why not allow aloud prayer in public schools - at least the highschool level? They should be able to be able to handle that if they can handle the above.
Old 11-26-05, 11:29 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Jason
Once she's given a Bill O'Reilly approved cirriculum, everything will be all right again.
Nice sidestep.
Old 11-26-05, 11:31 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by wendersfan

Of course you would. But how would you feel if it were a test heiling Bush as the greatest political figure of our time?
Old 11-26-05, 11:36 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I think it's obvious that this teacher is in the wrong. Just hold the politics out of the vocabulary lesson. Leave that for college.

I am a Democrat and even I think this is wrong. Spelling is not the place for political discourse.

Last edited by Brain Stew; 11-26-05 at 11:45 AM.
Old 11-26-05, 12:59 PM
DVD Talk God

Pretty stupid. But that's hippies for you.
Old 11-26-05, 01:12 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I'm not a Bush supporter, but even I know it's not right to do this. Teachers should act objective
Old 11-26-05, 01:37 PM

Questioned?

"Ve heard you vas mocking der Fuerer. May ve see your papers, please?"
Old 11-26-05, 02:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Goldblum
Nice sidestep.
Well, if the teacher had been criticized for quizzing the students on why France sucks, I doubt we'd be having this conversation.
Old 11-26-05, 02:08 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Of course you would. But how would you feel if it were a test heiling Bush as the greatest political figure of our time?
Simple typo or Freudian slip? You make the call!
Old 11-26-05, 02:13 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

JasonF reports, you decide.
Old 11-26-05, 02:26 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by Jason
Well, if the teacher had been criticized for quizzing the students on why France sucks, I doubt we'd be having this conversation.

We would, but we would have a different OP. That is all.
Old 11-26-05, 02:30 PM

Well, of course I'd be fine with it, provided it was done in a good humored manner.
Old 11-26-05, 03:16 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Damn Liberal Leftie Wacko Crazy Opportunistic News Sources trying to make a...hey wait a minute. Is this a Fox News link? CNN scooped Fox News on this?
Old 11-26-05, 04:48 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by JasonF
Simple typo or Freudian slip? You make the call!
You got me.
Old 11-26-05, 09:02 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by bhk
The losers
With the first two words you invalidate anything else you say.

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.