Religion, Politics and World Events They make great dinner conversation, don't you think? plus Political Film

Hillary Vs. Rudy Would Be Blockbuster Race

Old 11-20-05, 10:43 AM
Mod Emeritus

Both. It's not a certain Florida governor is it?
Old 11-20-05, 10:44 AM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by Gallant Pig
Both. It's not a certain Florida governor is it?
Jeb Bush has about as much chance winning the Republican nomination as Guiliani does.
Old 11-20-05, 11:19 AM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by Vandelay_Inds
I don't know if it would work, but couldn't Giuliani make his support for early abortion clear, while condemning in the strongest possible terms the bestial practice of late-term abortion? Or would he just succeed in alienating both sides?

I like Kang's platform myself: "Abortions for some, miniature American flags for others."
Old 11-20-05, 11:26 AM
DVD Talk God

IAbout the nomination, if the GOP puts up another lame "conservative", he'll get crushed by Hillary. I don't know if they'll accept another Clinton president rather than compromise on a figure such as Rudy.
Hillary is not going to crush any Republican candidate. I have serious doubts that she can even beat any credible Republican candidate. There is no Democrat who will galvanize the Republicans like Hillary will.

Forget about Giuliani - unless he decides to seek the Democratic nomination.
Old 11-20-05, 11:40 AM
DVD Talk God

It isn't just very conservative Reps who don't want him. Most conservative Reps would not want him. He is neither fiscally conservative nor socially conservative.
Old 11-20-05, 11:42 AM
DVD Talk God

Well, if some very conservative Reps won't have him, let him jump ship then. He is exactly the leader needed right now.
What makes you say that?
Old 11-20-05, 12:50 PM
Mod Emeritus

He's likeable, has charisma, he knows how to speak, he cleaned up NYC, he exhibited grace under pressure during 9/11, he's mainstream, he's not associated with the religious right, he didn't come from a rich background, he doesn't have a controversial Nam background... he doesn't like stupid hippie art.

Personally I think he'd do a good job uniting this country that has been so sorely divided by the extremes on both sides.

According to a Fox News poll reported on October 5, 2005, among Republicans, 26% would vote for Giuliani in the 2008 Republican Primaries, 23% would vote for John McCain, 18% for Condoleezza Rice, 7% for Newt Gingrich, 3% for Mitt Romney, and 23% were listed as "Other/Don't know".
Old 11-20-05, 01:33 PM
DVD Talk God

Giuliani carries much baggage.

Quote all the polls you want - neither Giuliani or McCain will be the Republican nominee; and, you take that to the bank.

Giuliani holds too many positions on issues that are at odds with the Republican primary voter.

McCain is not trusted by the Republican primary voter. That was amply demonstrated in 2000.
Old 11-20-05, 01:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by classicman2
McCain is not trusted by the Republican primary voter. That was amply demonstrated in 2000.
Thanks to Karl Rove.
Old 11-20-05, 02:02 PM
DVD Talk God

Repubs had concerns about McCain before Rove came along.

For one thing - he's a loose cannon.
Old 11-20-05, 02:09 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

For one thing - he's a loose cannon.
You mean, more often than not, he actually answers questions directly and tells the truth.

Wouldn't want THAT in a President.
Old 11-20-05, 02:18 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

When is the last time you've heard Harry Reid speak about his opposition to abortion on the Senate floor? I believe his NRAL rating is about 40.

Your spinning would make a washing machine jealous.

The point that was made was the Dems didn't allow pro-lifers to speak at their conventions.

Was that true or untrue? Was it a lie or was it not a lie?

Guliani didn't speak about a women's right to choose at the convention, so does that make him not pro choice?
Old 11-20-05, 02:31 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by dolphinboy
You mean, more often than not, he actually answers questions directly and tells the truth.

Old 11-20-05, 02:37 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by dolphinboy
Your spinning would make a washing machine jealous.

The point that was made was the Dems didn't allow pro-lifers to speak at their conventions.

Was that true or untrue? Was it a lie or was it not a lie?

Guliani didn't speak about a women's right to choose at the convention, so does that make him not pro choice?
Democrats allowed Dick Gephardt & David Bonyer, the leaders of the House Democrats to speak at the conventions, but not about abortion. Remember a former governor of PA?

The Republicans have allowed pro-choice people on the platform committee. They've allowed a vote on a platform alternative to the one in the plank. They've allowed pro-choice people to speak about the issue of abortion on the floor. They even had a floor fight over the issue in 1988.

The Democrats didn't allow that.

The 1/3 of pro-choicers in the Republican Party have a larger say in the party than the 1/3 of the pro-lifers in the Democratic Party do.

Last edited by classicman2; 11-20-05 at 02:55 PM.
Old 11-20-05, 02:55 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Bartertown due to it having a better economy than where I really live, Buffalo NY
Originally Posted by Josh-da-man
I'm not sure that Hillary is any kind of "frontrunner."

I think the media's just playing up that angle.
well she sure does a lot of out of state fundraising, both for her own coffers and for others
Old 11-20-05, 03:53 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Bartertown due to it having a better economy than where I really live, Buffalo NY
I'd take rudy as senator from NY, but I'm not sure I'd want him as president
Old 11-20-05, 03:57 PM
DVD Talk God

Rudy doesn't have the tempermant to be Senator. He'd be frustrated and bored by the 2nd week.
Old 11-20-05, 04:21 PM

Originally Posted by CRM114
I thought NYC stood for everything that they are opposed to....
"This stuff's made in New York City!!"

What happened to those commercials...

And is anything actually manufactured in New York City?!!
Old 11-20-05, 04:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

The primary process is crafted to prevent moderate candidates from being nominated, so I fully expect that Hillary will be nominated and Giuliani has no chance in hell. Right now Mike Huckabee is considered a longshot, but I think as he gains more attention he will become a surprise frontrunner.
Old 11-20-05, 06:10 PM
DVD Talk God

You must know that any anti-gay constitutional amendment begins in the Congress.

It's not the product of the presidency.

The problems that Guiliani faced in NYC are miniscule compared to the problems a president faces.
Old 11-20-05, 07:19 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Then why did W put it in his SOTU address?
Obviously to appease his base.
Or better yet, lets have GOP civil war, and win the party back from the religious clowns.

Next stop Fantasy Land!

Those "clowns" are the base of the Republican Party. Alienate them and you might as well kiss goodbye the Presidency.
Old 11-20-05, 07:26 PM
X
Administrator

I feel it is precisely the opposite. And anyway, if fixing the most complex city in the world is not preparation enough for the job of president, what is?
Having to deal with a legislature is a big part of the job.
Old 11-20-05, 07:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Capitol of the Empire! Center of all Commerce and Culture! Crossroads of Civilization! NEW ROME!!!...aka New York City
Originally Posted by WCChiCubsFan
Obviously to appease his base.
Next stop Fantasy Land!

Those "clowns" are the base of the Republican Party. Alienate them and you might as well kiss goodbye the Presidency.
Might not be a bad thing...if the social conservatives got ANOTHER dose of Clinton in exchange for thier refusal to vote for someone only VERY religious, they might smarten up
Old 11-20-05, 07:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Capitol of the Empire! Center of all Commerce and Culture! Crossroads of Civilization! NEW ROME!!!...aka New York City
Originally Posted by X
Having to deal with a legislature is a big part of the job.
Well the only legislative body Guiliani ever tried to deal with, he railed to have them abolished...HEY! if he would do this for Congress, he gets my vote
Old 11-20-05, 08:03 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

The only decent choice right now for either side is John McCain. The only reason he's held on to the Republican party, despite the constant trashing of his name and his service record is because he thinks that he can run for president next. Stupid, stupid man. They've worked so hard to bury the man for so many years, how do they expect the voters to accept him now?

Hillary? No thanks.

Rudy? Yeah, yeah, he was a rock on 9/11. Unfortunately that makes people forget that he was pretty much a scumbag at any other time.

Other names floated about - Condi Rice (god god, no... totally inept), Jeb Bush (hopefully the Schiavo case has killed any further political aspirations on his part), John Kerry (sorry, but we've learned that "I'm not George Bush" is not enough to win an election), Howard Dean (hasn't been visible enough).

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.