Release List Reviews Shop Join News DVD Giveaways Video Games Advertise
DVD Reviews | Theatrical Reviews | Price Search Buy Stuff Here
DVD Talk
DVD Reviews DVD Talk Headlines HD Reviews

Add to My Yahoo! - RSS 2.0 - RSS 2.0 - DVD Talk Podcast RSS -

Go Back   DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk > Religion, Politics and World Events

Religion, Politics and World Events They make great dinner conversation, don't you think? plus Political Film

Old 11-19-05, 01:02 PM   #1
DVD Talk Legend

"study demonstrates that tasks requiring mental flexibility favour women over men"

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/4406176.stm

Hormones make women safer drivers

The female hormone oestrogen could give women the edge when it comes to tasks such as safe driving, say researchers.

Tests showed attention span and ability to learn rules were far better among women than men.

The Bradford University scientists told a hormone conference in London how tasks requiring mental flexibility favour women over men.

A woman's oestrogen levels may prime the part of the brain involved in such skills - the frontal lobe - they said.

Amarylis Fox, Dr Kay Marshall and Jo Neill asked 43 men and women aged 18-35 to perform a battery of neuropsychological tests that assessed skills such as spatial recognition memory, rule learning, attention, planning and motor control.

The women were far better at being able to shift their attention from one stimulus to another, making it easier for them to perform everyday actions like driving and reading.

This might explain why girls find it easier than boys to concentrate at school and why women are more careful drivers, the researchers hypothesise.

Speaking at the Society for Endocrinology meeting, they said: "This study demonstrates that tasks requiring mental flexibility favour women over men, an area previously not considered to elicit strong sex differences.

"Driving could be an example of how this is applied to everyday life.

"Our study suggests that oestrogens may positively influence neuronal activity in the frontal lobes, the area of the brain stimulated by tasks of attention and rule learning, which could explain the female advantage when performing these tasks."

Over-simplified

However, other researchers in the past have suggested that spatial skills such as map reading and parking may be difficult for some women because they had too little testosterone in the womb.

Dr Peter Marsh, author of Driving Passion: The Psychology of the Car, believes men and women have inherent differences which manifest themselves behind the wheel.

We have to be cautious. The thing about driving is that it is not a single skill
Dr Nick Neave of the University of Northumbria

He says men like risk-taking, the thrill of the chase and sensation-seeking, while women are more cautious.

Women's accidents tend to be at roundabouts and T-junctions but at slower speeds than men, who are involved in more serious crashes because they can't brake quickly enough.

Dr Nick Neave, an evolutionary psychologist at the University of Northumbria who has researched spatial awareness and gender differences, said: "The thing about driving is that it is not a single skill. There are many skills involved. There is a motor skill, there is rule learning, attention, spatial awareness and confidence as well.

"What we tend to find is that in certain aspects men are better - things like navigation, spatial awareness and confidence. But they have more accidents.

"For things like attention, there is evidence that females are better.

"There is a female advantage on certain frontal cortex tasks. We know that this brain area has oestrogen receptors so it is sensitive to this hormone.

"But we have to be cautious. The researchers have not looked at driving tests, so it is a bit of a leap for them to extrapolate.

"We would like to see more research on driving ability."
Old 11-19-05, 02:03 PM   #2

Why isn't somebody getting fired over this?
Old 11-19-05, 02:29 PM   #3
DVD Talk Legend

Obviously a prejudiced study against men. Whom do we sue?
Old 11-19-05, 03:56 PM   #4
DVD Talk Legend

I'm glad you two understand why I posted this.

After the President of Harvard said some things about possible diffferences between men and women, a bunch of women threw a hissyfit. He ended up apologizing several times, and there was a $50 million grant to women's studies.

http://jewishworldreview.com/cols/will012705.asp

Jan. 27, 2005

By George Will

Addressing a conference on the supposedly insufficient numbers of women in tenured positions in university science departments, he suggested that perhaps part of the explanation might be innate genetically based gender differences in cognition. He thought he was speaking in a place that encourages uncircumscribed intellectual explorations. He was not. He was on a university campus.

He was at Harvard, where he is president. Since then he has become a serial apologizer and accomplished groveler. Soon he may be in a Khmer Rouge-style reeducation camp somewhere in New England, relearning this: In today's academy, no social solecism is as unforgivable as the expression of a hypothesis that offends someone's "progressive" sensibilities.

Someone like MIT biology professor Nancy Hopkins, the hysteric who, hearing Summers, "felt I was going to be sick. My heart was pounding and my breath was shallow." And, "I just couldn't breathe because this kind of bias makes me physically ill." She said that if she had not bolted from the room, "I would've either blacked out or thrown up."
Old 11-19-05, 07:40 PM   #5
DVD Talk Legend

Yup. I didn't recall the specifics, but that was the first thing that came to mind
Old 11-19-05, 08:23 PM   #6
DVD Talk God

Other Forum
Old 11-19-05, 08:41 PM   #7
DVD Talk God

Quote:
Originally Posted by grundle

After the President of Harvard said some things about possible diffferences between men and women, a bunch of women threw a hissyfit. He ended up apologizing several times, and there was a $50 million grant to women's studies.

Yep - it pays to be a PC freak.
"A question for you. Would you rather Bucknell make the NCAA's once every 20 years or so and get ass raped by teams like Kansas in the first round or have them drop down a rung to a confernce where they can compete for a title?"
- Josh Hinkle
1st Round Final Scores: Bucknell 64 Kansas 63 | Bucknell 59 Arkansas 55
Old 11-19-05, 09:53 PM   #8
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by classicman2
Other Forum
Agreed. Why in the heck is this in the politics forum? A mod should move it.
Old 11-20-05, 05:07 AM   #9
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Quote:
In my experience, most women can't do physics or math like men do, which is a shame, because I really, really like girls. But then again, the ones who are any good at it, tend to be outstanding.
True as far as more men being better at these things than women (on average).

It's hard to tell what is nature and what is nuture : the classic psychological debate. To find good answers to this would require the kind of disturbing psychological testing and experiments with small children that is banned nowadays (and for good reason, I guess). No more crazy experiments like they used to do. My wife (B.A. in psych) is always joking about the crazy experiments they used to get away with that they can't do now.
Old 11-20-05, 12:55 PM   #10
bhk
DVD Talk Legend

Are we going to see that cover on Time magazine again that declared:
"Men and Women are different"?

Hussein Massawi, the former leader of Hezbollah
Old 11-20-05, 11:43 PM   #11
DVD Talk Special Edition

Quote:
The women were far better at being able to shift their attention from one stimulus to another, making it easier for them to perform everyday actions like driving and reading.
To be fair, how often do you see men attempting to read while driving? If women practice this "skill" more often, it's natural they'd be better at it.
Old 11-21-05, 01:54 PM   #12
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by leepyswetr
To be fair, how often do you see men attempting to read while driving? If women practice this "skill" more often, it's natural they'd be better at it.
Ha ha! That is very clever of you!
Old 02-21-06, 02:03 PM   #13

Quote:

http://jewishworldreview.com/cols/will012705.asp

Jan. 27, 2005

By George Will

Addressing a conference on the supposedly insufficient numbers of women in tenured positions in university science departments, he suggested that perhaps part of the explanation might be innate genetically based gender differences in cognition. He thought he was speaking in a place that encourages uncircumscribed intellectual explorations. He was not. He was on a university campus.

He was at Harvard, where he is president. Since then he has become a serial apologizer and accomplished groveler. Soon he may be in a Khmer Rouge-style reeducation camp somewhere in New England, relearning this: In today's academy, no social solecism is as unforgivable as the expression of a hypothesis that offends someone's "progressive" sensibilities.

Someone like MIT biology professor Nancy Hopkins, the hysteric who, hearing Summers, "felt I was going to be sick. My heart was pounding and my breath was shallow." And, "I just couldn't breathe because this kind of bias makes me physically ill." She said that if she had not bolted from the room, "I would've either blacked out or thrown up."
Harvard president to step down

Quote:
Harvard President to Step Down

Feb 21, 1:28 PM (ET)

CAMBRIDGE, Mass. (AP) - Lawrence H. Summers has announced that he will resign as president of Harvard University at the end of the 2005-06 academic year, the school announced on its Web site.

Summers became Harvard's 27th president after Neil L. Rudenstine announced in May 2001 his resignation after nearly a decade. Summer's resignation ends the briefest tenure of any Harvard president since 1862, when Cornelius Felton died after two years in office.

As Harvard's president, Summers, a former U.S. Treasury secretary in the Clinton Administration, on several occasions made comments that drew intense criticism.

Last year he suggested that innate gender differences between the sexes that might explain the few women in science and math.

The talk prompted a 218-185 no confidence vote from Harvard's Faculty of Arts and Sciences last March. Faculty votes are symbolic because the seven-member Harvard Corporation has sole authority to fire the university's president.

Another no confidence vote was scheduled for Feb. 28.

Derek Bok, Harvard's president from 1971 to 1991, will serve as interim president of the University from July 1 until the conclusion of the search for a new president.
Mr. Summers did 3 things:

1) He offered up an idea that pursued the truth that men and women's brains may be different. Does anyone truly deny this besides the university apparently?

2) He had a run-in with Cornell West (professor of African American studies).

3) He said at a church in Cambridge that after 911, outside of extreme right-wing circles, anti-Semitism had migrated to the university.

Quite a stunt by Harvard here since their motto after all is Veritas (truth).
Old 02-21-06, 02:08 PM   #14

In a study I funded, women are much more proficient than men at GETTING THEIR ASS INTO THE KITCHEN AND MAKING ME A PIE!!!

"The Borg is a species" -- Tracer Bullet (Citation)
Old 02-21-06, 02:21 PM   #15
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groucho
In a study I funded, women are much more proficient than men at GETTING THEIR ASS INTO THE KITCHEN AND MAKING ME A PIE!!!
Link?
Old 02-21-06, 03:24 PM   #16
Admin-Self Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave-o
Link?
More importantly, PICS?!

www.endgerrymandering.com
Gerrymandering in the US
Old 02-21-06, 03:30 PM   #17

Old 02-24-06, 09:40 PM   #18
DVD Talk Limited Edition