Religion, Politics and World Events They make great dinner conversation, don't you think? plus Political Film

Republicans refuse to honor Bruce

Old 11-18-05, 10:28 PM

Republicans refuse to honor Bruce

When tit for tat politics just gets stupid!

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20051119/...le_springsteen

Republicans Refuse to Honor Springsteen

By DONNA DE LA CRUZ, Associated Press Writer 2 hours, 53 minutes ago
WASHINGTON - Bruce Springsteen famously was "born in the USA," but he's getting scorned in the U.S. Senate.

An effort by New Jersey's two Democratic senators to honor the veteran rocker was shot down Friday by Republicans who are apparently still miffed a year after the Boss lent his voice to the campaign of Democratic presidential candidate John Kerry.

The chamber's GOP leaders refused to bring up for consideration a resolution, introduced by Sens. Frank Lautenberg and Jon Corzine, that honored Springsteen's long career and the 1975 release of his iconic album, "Born to Run."

No reason was given, said Lautenberg spokesman Alex Formuzis. "Resolutions like this pass all the time in the U.S. Senate, usually by unanimous consent," he said.

Telephone calls to Senate Majority Leader Bill Frist's office seeking comment were not immediately returned.
Old 11-18-05, 10:37 PM
DVD Talk God

I generally don't have much good to say about the Repubs, but this time I'll make an exception - good for them.
Old 11-18-05, 11:00 PM
Banned by request

Originally Posted by classicman2
I generally don't have much good to say about the Repubs, but this time I'll make an exception - good for them.
Agreed. For what are they proposing to honor him, anyway? Making some of the worst music in the rock canon? And with what were they going to honor him, a purple heart?
Old 11-18-05, 11:23 PM
Political Exile

This is not a legitimate function of government.

My thoughts on Bruce can be found here:

http://rateyourmusic.com/list/grundl...ms_of_all_time
Old 11-18-05, 11:26 PM
DVD Talk Ruler

I'd much rather they honored the greatest musician of our time... Weird Al!
Old 11-18-05, 11:29 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Do you think perhaps the senators from New Jersey received campaign contributions from BS?
Old 11-18-05, 11:33 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Payback from those same republicans who praised "Born in the USA" as an hymn to patriotism and didn't realize they were being fooled until someone actually explained the lyrics to them.
Old 11-18-05, 11:53 PM
DVD Talk Hero

My respect for Suprmallet just went down. I can understand hating Bruce, but saying he made some of the worst music in the rock canon!? You have no taste.

My respect for grundle just went way up. Grundle, you have excellent taste in music. Darkness on the Edge of Town is Springsteen's best album, so you're not perfect. Close enough, though

More to the point, you appreciate artists whose politics you disagree with, and I think it's awesome that you're able to separate the artistic merits of the performers from their political views.

Unlike the dillholes in Congress.

And classicman is old, so I don't expect him to like any music made in the last 50 years. He probably prefers der Bingle to that Sinatra kid.

Last edited by JasonF; 11-18-05 at 11:56 PM.
Old 11-19-05, 01:38 AM
DVD Talk Hero

I thought it was going to be Lenny Bruce when I saw the thread title. (Seriously.)

Last edited by Josh-da-man; 11-19-05 at 03:34 AM.
Old 11-19-05, 01:58 AM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by JasonF
More to the point, you appreciate artists whose politics you disagree with, and I think it's awesome that you're able to separate the artistic merits of the performers from their political views.
While I would tend to agree, Bruce has made himself a very vocal political figure. So it seems that it came back to bite him. That's fine with me. But if any Dems try to block similar action for The Rock, I will be irritated.
Old 11-19-05, 03:44 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by kvrdave
But if any Dems try to block similar action for The Rock, I will be irritated.
Oh, the Repubs will never honor The Rock.

His head looks like a giant penis.

Too homoerotic.
Old 11-19-05, 04:45 AM
bhk
DVD Talk Legend

Better news was that the reps refused to name the CDC building in Atlanta after Tom Harkin.
But both are excellent news indicating that the perfumed, powdered princes otherwise known as the RINOs in the Senate may have actually grown some.
I'm not holding my breath however.
Old 11-19-05, 07:19 AM
DVD Talk God

It has nothing to do with my taste in music. It has something to do with what the Senate should be doing - certainly not trivial things when there are serious matters that need attention and very few days left this session to accomplish their work.

I like the rule in the Environmental and Public Works Committee - a person has to be dead to have a post office named after him or anything else named after him.

BTW: I've got a couple of albums by The Boss.

Last edited by classicman2; 11-19-05 at 07:22 AM.
Old 11-19-05, 11:00 AM
Political Exile

Originally Posted by eXcentris
Payback from those same republicans who praised "Born in the USA" as an hymn to patriotism and didn't realize they were being fooled until someone actually explained the lyrics to them.
During the 1984 Presidential campaign, the Republican AND Democratic candidates used the song in their campaigns, because they did not understand what the song was about.

Fortunatley, the Libertarian candidate was much smarter, and did not make the same mistake.
Old 11-19-05, 11:02 AM
Political Exile

Originally Posted by General Zod
I'd much rather they honored the greatest musician of our time... Weird Al!
I'd like to respond to that, but I can't talk now. I gotta go in the back and beat up on the liverwurst.
Old 11-19-05, 11:06 AM
Political Exile

My respect for Suprmallet just went down. I can understand hating Bruce, but saying he made some of the worst music in the rock canon!? You have no taste.

My respect for grundle just went way up. Grundle, you have excellent taste in music. Darkness on the Edge of Town is Springsteen's best album, so you're not perfect. Close enough, though

And classicman is old, so I don't expect him to like any music made in the last 50 years. He probably prefers der Bingle to that Sinatra kid.
Thanks.

Volunteers by Jefferson Airplane is so fun to listen to that it almost makes me want to run off and join a commune.

Great art is great art, regardless of whether or not I agree with the messages that are expressed in the art.
Old 11-19-05, 11:06 AM
bhk
DVD Talk Legend

Do you think perhaps the senators from New Jersey received campaign contributions from BS?
Those 2 dems sens and BS are always going to be intertwined.
Old 11-19-05, 11:08 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Old 11-19-05, 11:13 AM
Political Exile

Originally Posted by kvrdave
While I would tend to agree, Bruce has made himself a very vocal political figure. So it seems that it came back to bite him. That's fine with me. But if any Dems try to block similar action for The Rock, I will be irritated.
When Bruce was poor, he sang about how much he loved life.

After Bruce became rich, he sang about how it sucks to be poor.
Old 11-19-05, 11:14 AM
bhk
DVD Talk Legend

And classicman is old, so I don't expect him to like any music made in the last 50 years.
I'm not as old as c-man but I don't think that there's been any great western music made after the death of Stravinsky. Good music, yes but not great.
Old 11-19-05, 11:29 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by grundle
Fortunatley, the Libertarian candidate was much smarter, and did not make the same mistake.
Well, you have to have an actual campaign before you can have a campaign theme song.
Old 11-19-05, 11:31 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by bhk
Better news was that the reps refused to name the CDC building in Atlanta after Tom Harkin.
I'll note that bhk is referring to a rider to the CDC Appropriations introduce by Sen Inouye (D-HI) to name buildings after Sens. Harkin (D-IA) and Specter (R-PA). Harkin and Specter did not know anything about it, and the entire appropriations bill was killed in the House -- almost certainly for reasons unrelated to Sen. Inouye's rider.

Last edited by JasonF; 11-19-05 at 11:33 AM.
Old 11-19-05, 11:38 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by classicman2
It has nothing to do with my taste in music. It has something to do with what the Senate should be doing - certainly not trivial things when there are serious matters that need attention and very few days left this session to accomplish their work.

I like the rule in the Environmental and Public Works Committee - a person has to be dead to have a post office named after him or anything else named after him.

BTW: I've got a couple of albums by The Boss.
If you're objecting to these resolution in general, then that's OK, I suppose. These resolutions usually pass by unanimous consent, so it's not as if getting rid of them would free up enormous amounts of time that could be spent on the people's business. But every little bit helps, I suppose.

What I really don't like is singling out a single individual, presumably because of his politics. It's petty and mean-spirited.
Old 11-19-05, 12:20 PM
DVD Talk God

You'd think Republicans would love Bruce considering that Reagan borrowed "Born in the USA" to use as his '84 campaign theme. I guess there was someone in the party who finally got around to reading the lyrics.
Old 11-19-05, 12:46 PM
DVD Talk God

The only people who actually knew the lyrics were too young to vote, so it didn't matter.

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.