Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Religion, Politics and World Events
Reload this Page >

Republicans call House session to ask Dems if the want immediate IRAQ withdraw!

Religion, Politics and World Events They make great dinner conversation, don't you think? plus Political Film

Republicans call House session to ask Dems if the want immediate IRAQ withdraw!

Old 11-19-05, 11:04 AM
bhk
DVD Talk Legend

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I declared war on the United States several years ago. I'm not a nation, and it isn't on paper, but I did it anyway. I guess that gives conservatives all they need to do whatever they want in the name of fighting that war.

Glad I could help.
You don't happen to be in Oregon or Seattle do you?
Seriously, start planning some war-like activities and you will have the US' attention.
Old 11-19-05, 11:07 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by DVD Polizei
Stay the course. Stay the commitment. Stay the money. Stay the troops. Stay the loser.

I'd suggest you clean that statement up a bit. Sounds like you are colling the troops "losers", and I know you can't mean that!
Old 11-19-05, 11:10 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by mosquitobite
The big victory is the Dems who have been calling for us to get out of Iraq (including Murtha) are now on record saying stay in. If they had voted no, they would have been called on for being against the troops.

It's one of those, well when DID you stop beating your wife? moments. I'm glad the pubbies seem to have found a bit of strength...

Now the Dems antiwar base is going to be ticked at them. *giggle*
Considering it called for the "immediate" withdrawal, I dobut anyone supports that besides Murtha - and in reality, Murtha is just attempting to bring withdrawal into the public discourse. I think he achieved that.

Republicans calling Murtha a coward is also now in the public discourse.
Old 11-19-05, 11:11 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Vandelay_Inds
I would say the worst ones are the "assholes" who believe in waiting for threats to become tangible.

I guess some people still believe in capturing, prosecuting, and executing suicide bombers after they have struck...

Wow.

That was very well put!

Sadly enough it is most democrat's mentality

Originally Posted by Jason
No one has declared war on the United States. Yet.

Hmmmm... I guess planes crashing into a building on September 11th wasn't a good enough declaration?

It WAS NOT Iraq declaring war on us on 9/11... it was Islamic Fundamentalist Terrorism. THAT is what we are striking against. Much like any "conventional war" it takes place in several fronts AT ONCE. Right now 2 of those are in Iraq and Afghanistan.

When we adopt the mentality of thinking "Planes crashed into our buildings... no one declared war on us!" We are obviously not learning our lesson.

I guess it's time for Al Queda to send us a stronger mor vibrant signal?

Perhaps a nice nuke plants on a ship that could blow up in NY?

Maybe you'd like a gas attack in the NY subway?

Or perhaps a few assasinations?

Great line of thinking...

Last edited by Sominex; 11-19-05 at 11:16 AM.
Old 11-19-05, 11:11 AM
bhk
DVD Talk Legend

Sounds like you are colling the troops "losers",
Yes, but he supports the troops.

And no I don't seriously think that he's calling the troops losers. The anti-war left in this country and the media appears to be trying their best to demoralize the troops but then they think by saying "we support the troops", it is their get out of jail card.
Sort of like telling an ethnic joke and then saying "just kidding."
Old 11-19-05, 11:12 AM
bhk
DVD Talk Legend

Show me which republican did. I want to see direct quotes. C'mon let's see it.
Old 11-19-05, 11:20 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Are you talking about politicians or the talking head/commentator types? The reason I ask is that all the Reps I heard yesterday (and I certainly didn't listen to the whole thing) said they respected Murtha. The only place I heard about Reps calling Murtha names was from the accusations the Dems were making during their time.
Old 11-19-05, 11:38 AM

The big victory is the Dems who have been calling for us to get out of Iraq (including Murtha) are now on record saying stay in.
No, they are not.

They are against the IMMEDIATE withdrawl of troops.
Old 11-19-05, 12:12 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Quagmire, Quagmire, Quagmire, Quagmire!!!....Vietnam, Vietnam, Vietnam, Vietnam!!!

"Violence never solves anything"--um, yeah it does, hippy.

You cannot reason with the irrational, the only thing the terrorists seem to understand is violence. Do you honestly think we can sit across the table with Bin Laden and negotiate????

Last edited by MartinBlank; 11-19-05 at 12:14 PM.
Old 11-19-05, 12:18 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by MartinBlank
Do you honestly think we can sit across the table with Bin Laden and negotiate????
Apparently, some this it's a good idea.
Old 11-19-05, 12:27 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by CRM114
Considering it called for the "immediate" withdrawal, I dobut anyone supports that besides Murtha - and in reality, Murtha is just attempting to bring withdrawal into the public discourse. I think he achieved that.

Murtha voted against it. What he achieved is looking like a true partisan who calls for things that he doesn't even agree with because he wants to jump on the bad poll numbers for Bush.
Old 11-19-05, 12:49 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by bhk
Show me which republican did. I want to see direct quotes. C'mon let's see it.
Jean Schmidt. And then she asked it to be withdrawn from the record. Stinkin' weasel move.

"He also asked me to send Congressman Murtha a message, that cowards cut and run, Marines never do."

Followed by:

"Mr. Speaker, my remarks were not directed at any member of the House and I did not intend to suggest that they applied to any member. Most especially the distinguished gentleman from Pennsylvania. I therefore ask for unanimous consent that my words be withdrawn."

Yeah right.
Old 11-19-05, 12:50 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by kvrdave
Murtha voted against it. What he achieved is looking like a true partisan who calls for things that he doesn't even agree with because he wants to jump on the bad poll numbers for Bush.
Please. Murtha is a war hero and a hawk. I doubt he's holding his finger in the air.
Old 11-19-05, 12:53 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Jean Schmidt. And then she asked it to be withdrawn from the record. Stinkin' weasel move.

"He also asked me to send Congressman Murtha a message, that cowards cut and run, Marines never do."

Followed by:

"Mr. Speaker, my remarks were not directed at any member of the House and I did not intend to suggest that they applied to any member. Most especially the distinguished gentleman from Pennsylvania. I therefore ask for unanimous consent that my words be withdrawn."

Yeah right.

the "he" she speaks of above was a marine. Just thought I'd clarify.
Old 11-19-05, 12:55 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by RMSpuhler
No, they are not.

They are against the IMMEDIATE withdrawl of troops.
So they are saying stay the course.

Look, Congress controls the purse strings. That's all.

If they want to control the military they should win the commander in chief position.

Otherwise, all their talk is politics, nothing more.

They DO wish to cut & run, all but 3 are just too scared to go on record saying it.
Old 11-19-05, 01:00 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Please. Murtha is a war hero and a hawk. I doubt he's holding his finger in the air.

I wasn't following that, but then I think the "holding his finger in the air" might refer to a peace sign and other hippy stuff. Is that right? If so, that was pretty funny stuff.
Old 11-19-05, 01:45 PM
DVD Talk Hero

the "he" she speaks of above was a marine. Just thought I'd clarify.
Exactly. So she uses a weasel technique of using someone else's words to call Murtha (also a Marine) a coward. Way to go, GOP.
Old 11-19-05, 02:06 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Exactly. So she uses a weasel technique of using someone else's words to call Murtha (also a Marine) a coward. Way to go, GOP.
And this of course completely negates all the positive things Rep said about Murtha, right? Tell me how does this explain the Dems who were making statements about the Reps calling Murtha things BEFORE Jean read the letter? Are there other, hopefully more specific since this examples or is this it?

Last edited by nemein; 11-19-05 at 02:10 PM.
Old 11-19-05, 02:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts
In the annals of pathetic politics threads - of which there have been many - I can't even believe how low things have sunk around here. This is the saddest collection of posts i've ever seen. This country continues to move backwards. The misinformation and misinterpretation bandied about is astonishing.

And i'm not singling a side out here....both are so mired in partisan bullshit that things have devolved beyond redemption.
Old 11-19-05, 02:50 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Um...if the Democrats really want us out of Iraq, why did they not band together and vote for our immediate withdrawl? Oh, that's right, they know we can't leave, just gotta keep the Michael Moore's of the world happy.

Please indulge me, how exactly did Bush lie?
Old 11-19-05, 02:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by MartinBlank
Um...if the Democrats really want us out of Iraq, why did they not band together and vote for our immediate withdrawl? Oh, that's right, they know we can't leave, just gotta keep the Michael Moore's of the world happy.

Please indulge me, how exactly did Bush lie?
see?
Old 11-19-05, 03:23 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by brizz
see?

Then please....what would be your solution? I'm still waiting for John Kerry's "super secret" plan her referenced during the 2004 election.

What is the solution?

The major problem I see is that we live in a society were we've gotten use to getting what we want when we want it!!! NOW, NOW, NOW!!! "We've been in Iraq FOREVER! Time to come home!!!" This is not Metal Gear Solid, this is the really real world, and shit takes time!! Personally, I'm glad we're fighting the terrorists over there, rather than on our soil, but that's just me, I love my freedom.

If there were an immediate withdrawl of troops, say, tomorrow, what do you think would happen in Iraq? Some other despot would take over, THEN all the American lives lost truly would be in vain.

And yes, unfortunately, this is a partisan issue:

The Left: "No War for oil!" "We should care what Europe thinks" "Quagmire!!"

The Right, yes, I'm biased: Sound's childish, but they did "start it" AND we are the country that keeps all the other psycho countries in check. If the USA were to crumble, the rest of the World would follow suit within months.
Old 11-19-05, 05:07 PM

So they are saying stay the course.
Are you being intentionally dense?

I want the troops out in 6-12 months. I do not want the immediate withdrawl. Ergo, I would vote against the resolution.

I can draw a flow chart, if you'd like.

RS
Old 11-19-05, 05:10 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by RMSpuhler
I want the troops out in 6-12 months. I do not want the immediate withdrawl. Ergo, I would vote against the resolution. RS

The ability of the human animal to rationalize away it's behavior is limitless.
Old 11-19-05, 05:13 PM
DVD Talk God

I believe if you set a time-table for withdrawal, redeployment, or whatever you want to call it you send a signal to our allies, enemies, and potential enemies that will have undesirable consequences for U. S. foreign policy.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.