Religion, Politics and World Events They make great dinner conversation, don't you think? plus Political Film

Bill Clinton is "The Most Influential Man in the World."

Old 11-17-05, 09:41 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Bill Clinton is "The Most Influential Man in the World."

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20051115/us_nm/clinton_dc_1
Esquire: Clinton is world's "most influential man" Tue Nov 15, 6:29 PM ET

Former U.S. President Bill Clinton is "The Most Influential Man in the World," according to Esquire magazine.

The magazine has designated him as "the most powerful agent of change in the world" despite his lack of electoral standing and the fact he was laid low by a heart attack ahead of last year's presidential election.

The magazine highlights Clinton's accomplishments in its December issue, which goes on newsstands on Thursday, profiling the world's "Best and Brightest" men and women.

Since leaving office, Clinton has been so active that his post-presidency amounts to "a third term" for the Democrat who held the White House from 1992 to 2000, the magazine said. He has tackled global issues from AIDS, poverty and global warming to the recovery from last December's Indian Ocean tsunami.

Esquire editor David Granger argued that Clinton was poised to become "something like a president of the world or at least a president of the world's non-governmental organizations."

But it will mean giving up a leadership role in the Democratic party or pushing the political career of his wife, Sen. Hillary Clinton, seen as a 2008 White House contender.

In the article, Clinton said that he remained loyal to his party, adding: "I'm not the leader of the opposition anymore."
Old 11-17-05, 09:46 AM

Why post this in "Politics"? I'm sure this discussion will be free of controversy and bickering.
Old 11-17-05, 10:15 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Capitol of the Empire! Center of all Commerce and Culture! Crossroads of Civilization! NEW ROME!!!...aka New York City
Hes the most influential man in the world?

His campaign endorsements are far from a victory guarentee...that kinda debunks the whole thing right there.

Esquire should just drop this whole bit...the most influental man in the world is the sitting president...every year
Old 11-17-05, 10:48 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

I would think The Pope (regardless of who is in office) would be the world's most influential man EVERY year.
Old 11-17-05, 10:51 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Tommy Ceez

His campaign endorsements are far from a victory guarentee...that kinda debunks the whole thing right there.

Esquire should just drop this whole bit...the most influental man in the world is the sitting president...every year
Well, Corzine ran commercials with Clinton in them in his recent run for governor of NJ and that turned out pretty well good for Corzine. According to Clinton Corzine is the MOST qualified person he has EVER met to be a governor. So there ya have it, NJ is saved.
Old 11-17-05, 10:56 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Capitol of the Empire! Center of all Commerce and Culture! Crossroads of Civilization! NEW ROME!!!...aka New York City
Originally Posted by tcoursen
Well, Corzine ran commercials with Clinton in them in his recent run for governor of NJ and that turned out pretty well good for Corzine. According to Clinton Corzine is the MOST qualified person he has EVER met to be a governor. So there ya have it, NJ is saved.
How did Clinton work out for Fernando ferar?
Old 11-17-05, 11:05 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Ferar had NO chance.

I didn't really pay attention to that race since I don't live in NYC, but I don't recall seeing any Ferar commercials or anything with Clinton in thim. Did Clinton come out and support Ferar?
Old 11-17-05, 11:08 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Please. FDR coming back from the grave to endorse Ferrar wouldn't have helped him.
Old 11-17-05, 12:32 PM
bhk
DVD Talk Legend

Must have been a great set of kneepads embossed with the US Seal that the author got. I just hoped he wiped afterwards.
Old 11-17-05, 01:07 PM
Banned

Nice to see the media giving Hillary some backdoor attention for her 08 campaign.
Old 11-17-05, 01:29 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by Groucho
Why post this in "Politics"? I'm sure this discussion will be free of controversy and bickering.

name one person whose campaign endorsements <i>are</i> a victory guarantee.. ?! i don't think there's anybody in the world that influential, since the biggest influence in any election (outside of corrupt elections, of course) is electorate satisfaction IMO.

Last edited by DrRingDing; 11-17-05 at 02:05 PM.
Old 11-17-05, 02:43 PM
Banned by request

If that's so, then why did the Virginia nominee for governor that Bush supported lose?
Old 11-17-05, 02:47 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Shannon Nutt
I would think The Pope (regardless of who is in office) would be the world's most influential man EVERY year.
How? He comes into office with all of the principles already in place. What does he do that influences anyone (something he does, apart from his office)? When was the last time a Pope made a decree that differed greatly from accepted Catholic values and influenced a bunch of people to go along with him?
Old 11-17-05, 02:48 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Suprmallet
If that's so, then why did the Virginia nominee for governor that Bush supported lose?
that kinda debunks the whole thing right there
Old 11-17-05, 02:53 PM

Just curious what one's got to do w/ the other? I mean why follow up a silly statement w/ an even sillier statement. I agree w/ DrRingDing no one has the power to make an endorsement such that that person will automatically win.
Old 11-17-05, 03:38 PM
DVD Talk Ruler

Clinton came here to California to campaign for Gray Davis not to get kicked out of office and it changed absolutely nothing. I don't think there is a "most influential man in the world". If one HAD to be picked it would certainly have to be whomever is currently president of the United States.
Old 11-17-05, 03:42 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by nemein
Just curious what one's got to do w/ the other? I mean why follow up a silly statement w/ an even sillier statement.
Because without such posts the politics forum would be empty?

Last edited by uberjoe; 11-17-05 at 03:44 PM.
Old 11-17-05, 04:17 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Just curious what one's got to do w/ the other? I mean why follow up a silly statement w/ an even sillier statement.
Are you saying that Tommy Ceez doesn't believe what he posts?
Old 11-17-05, 05:10 PM

Originally Posted by Numanoid
Are you saying that Tommy Ceez doesn't believe what he posts?
I have no way of making that judgement call either way.
Old 11-17-05, 05:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I just gonna let people talk about me, Im just sittin here
Old 11-17-05, 05:41 PM
Banned by request

Just curious what one's got to do w/ the other? I mean why follow up a silly statement w/ an even sillier statement. I agree w/ DrRingDing no one has the power to make an endorsement such that that person will automatically win.
That was my point. He said that Clinton's endorsements don't guarantee a win, so therefore the most influential title is debunked. He then said that the current president is more influential. So I applied the same logic to his statement about the president. That's all. I completely agree that one's endorsement record is not a correlary to how influential they are.
Old 11-17-05, 07:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

That was my point. He said that Clinton's endorsements don't guarantee a win, so therefore the most influential title is debunked. He then said that the current president is more influential. So I applied the same logic to his statement about the president. That's all. I completely agree that one's endorsement record is not a correlary to how influential they are.
Oh, Im sorry, I thought influential ment possessing the power to influence.
Old 11-17-05, 07:22 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I would say the most influential person would command the only super-power and the largest economy.
Old 11-17-05, 07:27 PM
Banned by request

Oh, Im sorry, I thought influential ment possessing the power to influence.
Yes, but your own logic defeated your argument that the current president is the most influential man.
Old 11-17-05, 09:37 PM
DVD Talk God

I've always believed the most influential man in the world is the man who has the greatest power. Bill Clinton does not have the greatest power.

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.