Religion, Politics and World Events They make great dinner conversation, don't you think? plus Political Film

Senate Approves $491 Billion Defense Bill

Old 11-15-05, 03:22 PM
DVD Talk God

Senate Approves $491 Billion Defense Bill

Capital News

The Senate unanimously passed legislation on Tuesday authorizing $491.6 billion in defense programs, including policies on treatment of detainees likely to prompt a dispute with the House of Representatives.

The Senate approved amendments to bar torture and regulate interrogations and treatment of detainees, but also to curb access to federal court protection by inmates at the U.S. prison at Guantanamo Bay, Cuba.

The House-passed version of the defense authorization bill does not include the detainees policies.

The Bush administration had threatened a veto over the moves to regulate detainees' treatment, saying that would impede efforts to get information to stop acts of terrorism.

But the White House has shown more inclination to negotiate on the matter, and lawmakers said it backed the measure limiting Guantanamo inmates' access to courts.

Also as part of the defense bill, the Senate passed a nonbinding resolution saying Iraqis should start taking the lead in their own security next year to allow a phased withdrawal of U.S. troops, and calling on President George W. Bush to report regularly on progress toward that.

The Republican-led Senate first rejected Democrats' demand for the president, himself a Republican, to submit a plan and an estimated timetable to withdraw U.S. forces, a step Bush has vehemently opposed.

House and Senate negotiators are also working on a final bill to send Bush to fund the Pentagon and provide a further $50 billion for the Iraq and Afghanistan wars.

Democrats denied that it was a withdrawal timetable. They kept saying it was a redeployment. It means exactly the same thing. In reality, it means the same thing. The Levin Amendment would have required the president to submit a timetable for the withdrawal of U. S. troops - a huge mistake.

Side note: I've lost considerable respect for Joe Biden on this. I realize he's running for president in 2008, but he's making an ass out of himself with some of the comments he has made.
Old 11-15-05, 03:26 PM

Also as part of the defense bill, the Senate passed a nonbinding resolution saying Iraqis should start taking the lead in their own security next year to allow a phased withdrawal of U.S. troops, and calling on President George W. Bush to report regularly on progress toward that.
Haven't they been doing that already though? There was just a press conference from Rumsfeld today on how the change over is progressing. Although I suspect that is probably why the resolution is worded the way it is
Old 11-15-05, 03:51 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

I'm sure many Republicans want this Iraq thing to last indefinitely. It's a great way for money to disappear with no accountability.
Old 11-15-05, 03:53 PM
DVD Talk God

You seem to be sure of a lot of things - remember?
Old 11-15-05, 04:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Sheesh, and I thought we were trying to trim the military budget.
Old 11-15-05, 05:59 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by classicman2
You seem to be sure of a lot of things - remember?
Why yes, I am.

Oh, and speaking of no accountability:

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20051115/...a/iraq_torture

But. Wait. I thought all of those complaints were the evil lies of the enemy, meant to undermine and DEMORALIZE the US Troops.

Sounds like another Saddam Regime just waiting to be ripe for the plucking another 15 years from now by US troops.

I can see it now:

President Jeb Bush in 2020: "We must disarm those Shi'ites in Iraq! They are torturing innocent Sunni civilians. They have WMD and will attack the US if given the chance! We must stay the course. Resolve. Don't forget 9/11. "

Last edited by DVD Polizei; 11-15-05 at 06:07 PM.
Old 11-15-05, 06:49 PM

Originally Posted by DVD Polizei
Why yes, I am.

Oh, and speaking of no accountability:

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20051115/...a/iraq_torture

But. Wait. I thought all of those complaints were the evil lies of the enemy, meant to undermine and DEMORALIZE the US Troops.

Sounds like another Saddam Regime just waiting to be ripe for the plucking another 15 years from now by US troops.
The US was raiding the site where the torture victims were found, or do you think that is just part of some ploy? If anything it sounds like the accusations of rouge Iraqi IM forces might be true.

raq -
Iraq's prime minister said Tuesday that 173 Iraqi detainees malnourished and showing signs of torture were found at an Interior Ministry basement lockup seized by U.S. forces in Baghdad
Old 11-15-05, 07:06 PM
DVD Talk God

I'm sure many Republicans want this Iraq thing to last indefinitely. It's a great way for money to disappear with no accountability.

That is actually number three on the list. We consider making old people choose between medication and food, and making drinking water unsafe to be much more important.
Old 11-15-05, 07:18 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by nemein
The US was raiding the site where the torture victims were found, or do you think that is just part of some ploy? If anything it sounds like the accusations of rouge Iraqi IM forces might be true.
Saleh al-Mutlaq, a Sunni politician, insisted that torture is widespread in Interior Ministry detention centers and that the force has been infiltrated by the Badr Brigade, the military wing of Iraq's largest Shiite party.

``Some Iraqis are having their heads opened with drills, then their bodies are thrown in the streets,'' al-Mutlaq said. ``This shows that the United States should stop these acts since it is the force that occupies Iraq.''
Can't argue with that statement.
Old 11-16-05, 12:34 AM
Banned

You're right. We should give them a Popsicle and they'll talk.
Old 11-16-05, 03:21 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Or maybe stack them in a sexy triangle.
Old 11-16-05, 05:44 AM

Can't argue with that statement.
Which is probably why they participated in the raid. Even then as the insurgency in general shows although the US is the occupying force there are still some things beyond their control. Or do you believe the US is allowing the insurgency to survive as part of some grand conspiracy
Old 11-16-05, 08:26 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by classicman2
Capital News

Side note: I've lost considerable respect for Joe Biden on this. I realize he's running for president in 2008, but he's making an ass out of himself with some of the comments he has made.
What has Mr. Plagiarizer been saying lately cman? I hadn't heard anything lately so I'm surious.

He usually says some good intelligent things, but then goes back to his asshat ways, like now I suppose.

Last edited by Sominex; 11-16-05 at 09:27 AM.
Old 11-16-05, 09:06 AM
DVD Talk Hero

It would be "Mr. Plagiarizer."
Old 11-16-05, 10:16 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by kvrdave
That is actually number three on the list. We consider making old people choose between medication and food, and making drinking water unsafe to be much more important.
Old 11-16-05, 01:26 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Sominex
What has Mr. Plagiarizer been saying lately cman? I hadn't heard anything lately so I'm surious.

He usually says some good intelligent things, but then goes back to his asshat ways, like now I suppose.
http://www.spectator.org/dsp_article.asp?art_id=8931

For me, the highlight of last week's Senate Foreign Relations Committee hearing came when Senator Joe Biden questioned Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice about the Bush Administration's postwar strategy for Iraq.

"What's the plan, Stan?" said Biden with all of the eloquence of a playground bully, yet with none of the charm.