Religion, Politics and World Events They make great dinner conversation, don't you think? plus Political Film

Man sues over "In God We Trust"

Old 11-14-05, 01:52 PM

Man sues over "In God We Trust"

No link, saw it on CNN; man says it violates the religious rights of aetheists. in replacement, the guy suggest "Be Honest", "Do what's right", and something else, can't remember.

Can anyone find a link?

Seems one crazy aetheist challenges something, they all jump on the band wagon-where do these . . . people . . . come from?
Old 11-14-05, 01:54 PM

I agree, these "aetheists" need to learn to think for themselves! I suggest they read the bible, and the rest will come naturally.
Old 11-14-05, 01:55 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Sues? For what damages?

He'll have to be paid in some other currency.
Old 11-14-05, 01:56 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I suggest a replacement of "Stay Funky."
Old 11-14-05, 01:58 PM

Here's the latest article I could find:

Justices won't review "In God We Trust" dispute

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - The U.S. Supreme Court on Monday declined to review a ruling that the inscription "In God We Trust" on the front of a government building in North Carolina does not violate church-state separation.

The justices rejected an appeal of the decision that dismissed a lawsuit by two attorneys who had challenged as unconstitutional the phrase over the main entrance to the county's government center in Lexington, North Carolina.

The phrase, written in 18-inch block letters, was more prominently displayed than the name of the building, which was the only other writing on the front facade, according to the lawsuit.

A U.S. appeals court ruled that the lawsuit failed to show that the display had no legitimate secular purpose, that it has the effect of endorsing religion or that it has resulted in an excessive entanglement of government and religion.

The appeals court said Congress first authorized the phrase "In God We Trust" on coins in 1865, and Congress made it the national motto in 1956. It is inscribed above the speaker's chair in the U.S. House of Representatives and above the main door of the U.S. Senate chamber.

Attorneys for the two lawyers asked the justices to set aside the appeals court's ruling and send the case back for reconsideration in view of the Supreme Court's decision in June that Kentucky courthouses violated church-state separation by putting copies of the Ten Commandments on display.

The high court rejected the appeal without any comment or recorded dissent.
Old 11-14-05, 01:59 PM

Originally Posted by Groucho
I agree, these "aetheists" need to learn to think for themselves! I suggest they read the bible, and the rest will come naturally.
that statement in and of itself is prejudiced; here's why:

In a democracy, majority rules; aetheists are a very small minority, considering the majority of people in this country are religious, that is we have Muslims, Christians, Jews, Protestants, etc . . . they all have different holy books (more or less), but they all believe in One God and I sincerely doubt any of them would take issue with "In God We Trust".
Old 11-14-05, 02:01 PM

so it never went anywhere; good I say
Old 11-14-05, 02:04 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by Chaos

Seems one crazy aetheist challenges something, they all jump on the band wagon-

Generalize much?

How about this generalization....whenever one atheist sues about some government display of religion, there are many religious folks who get their panties in a bunch about it.
Old 11-14-05, 02:04 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

so it never went anywhere; good I say
i think what was linked above is a separate issue. the gentleman in this case is the same man who last year sued to have "under God" removed from the pledge of allegiance in california.
Old 11-14-05, 02:05 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by kms_md
i think what was linked above is a separate issue. the gentleman in this case is the same man who last year sued to have "under God" removed from the pledge of allegiance in california.

Apparently the OP thinks every atheist is a Newdow.
Old 11-14-05, 02:13 PM
DVD Talk God

Let me just point out that Roe v. Wade is a precident and we can never overturn it as a result. All the lawsuits concerning God are not precident and they need to be overturned. It's only logical.
Old 11-14-05, 02:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by kvrdave
Let me just point out that Roe v. Wade is a precident and we can never overturn it as a result. All the lawsuits concerning God are not precident and they need to be overturned. It's only logical.

laws on "precedent" do require proper spelling, though
Old 11-14-05, 02:16 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

What I don't understand is why do the athiests care? What difference does it make? If you don't believe, then what difference does it make if there's a "ficticious word" on your money or not? Who cares about a bunch of words being posted in City Hall?

I don't believe in the tooth fairy, but if our money said "In the tooth fairy we trust", I wouldn't be upset and sue! I'd laugh!
Old 11-14-05, 02:17 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

As an atheist, these things annoy the crap out of me too.
Not the statements/signs, but the lawsuits.
Freedom of religion does not mean freedom *from* religion, and the right to free speech does not include the right to not be offended.
If no government is forcing me to go to church, or pray to a specific deity, or believe a certain religious belief, my religious rights have been supported. I'm strong enough in my beliefs to not fear four words written on a wall, and I spend money possessing those words all the time.
Old 11-14-05, 02:23 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by nodeerforamonth
What I don't understand is why do the athiests care? What difference does it make? If you don't believe, then what difference does it make if there's a "ficticious word" on your money or not? Who cares about a bunch of words being posted in City Hall?

I don't believe in the tooth fairy, but if our money said "In the tooth fairy we trust", I wouldn't be upset and sue! I'd laugh!

Cannot the question be turned around - why do religious folks care so mcuh about a few words on money or a court building or an ugly 10C monument (see the godfans outside the Alabama SCt building when Roy Moore's monument was removed)? Isn't religion a personal experience anyhow?

I'm atheist and I don't care - not enough to sue the government anyhow. That doesn't mean I won't give my opinion on whether said lawsuit has merit and whether the practice of government referencing a deity is constitutional.

I just want to know where this generalization of an atheist bandwagon comes from?
Old 11-14-05, 02:24 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by dick_grayson
laws on "precedent" do require proper spelling, though

you shut up.
Old 11-14-05, 02:32 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by dtcarson
As an atheist, these things annoy the crap out of me too.
I think there is a better case to be made vs the Pledge. It is a semantic argument, but to some extent, when pledging allegiance to country, it requires some affirmation of a Deity, one that may not exist, or may not be consistent with the beliefs of some other religions, either philosophic ones which lack a deity, or those which have multiple deities. Also there seems to be some debate whether the Christian/Jewish/Muslim God is really the same or not. I've seen arguments here and elsewhere on both sides. I know a town near us celebrated National Prayer day with some recognition of Judeo-Christian values and proceeded to disinvite all the Jews. I'm pretty sure we are recognizoing the Christian God in the Pledge.

On "In God We Trust," I don't really care. The money spends equally well wheyther I trust or not, and I am not required to affirm whether I really do. However, I am sure fewer people would be ripped off by scam artists if we put an X-Files "Trust No One" on the money.
Old 11-14-05, 03:34 PM
DVD Talk Hero

In a democracy, majority rules
In our country, the majority is limited in what rules it can impose. For example, no matter how many people vote for it, they can't pass a law that says Chaos isn't allowed to comment on politics under pain of arrest and imprisonment.
Old 11-14-05, 03:35 PM

I can just imagine the amount of money added to the deficit to replace all of the money with "In God We Trust".
Old 11-14-05, 03:37 PM
DVD Talk Ruler

Originally Posted by sjrab16
I can just imagine the amount of money added to the deficit to replace all of the money with "In God We Trust".
Just gotta print over one letter, and no more problems..

Old 11-14-05, 03:47 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by JasonF
In our country, the majority is limited in what rules it can impose. For example, no matter how many people vote for it, they can't pass a law that says Chaos isn't allowed to comment on politics under pain of arrest and imprisonment.

A wise man once said.....

Originally Posted by Adam Schiff
Oh, the Constitution -- that pesky thing.
Old 11-14-05, 03:48 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by kvrdave
Let me just point out that Roe v. Wade is a precedent and we can never overturn it as a result. All the lawsuits concerning God are not precedent and they need to be overturned. It's only logical.
Good one!

And I even corrected your spelling errors before quoting you Dave
Old 11-14-05, 03:48 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Only on a twenty?

Tsk, tsk.
Old 11-14-05, 03:56 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

We can change it to:

In Bush We Trust.

Iraq We Must.

In Bush We Thrust?

I think I like #3.
Old 11-14-05, 04:05 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by sjrab16
I don't think that would happen. I think all new currency would just be without the phrase.

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.