Religion, Politics and World Events They make great dinner conversation, don't you think? plus Political Film

Barbara Streisand calls for the impeachment of George Bush (now!)

Old 11-10-05, 02:25 PM
Banned

Barbara Streisand calls for the impeachment of George Bush (now!)

http://barbrastreisand.com/statements.html#ifnotnowwhen

Not Now... When? ...Barbra Streisand
Posted on October 26, 2005
If there was ever a time in history to impeach a President of the United States, it would be now. In my opinion, it is two years too late. We should have done this before the election to spare the country the misjudgment, the incompetence and the malfeasance of this administration. Let us remember that UN weapons inspectors asked for more time to search Iraq for WMDs. Two months into their search, the Director General of the UN's International Atomic Energy Agency, Mohamed ElBaradei, stated that he found no evidence that Iraq had revived its nuclear weapons program since its elimination in the 1990s. And Saddam Hussein had begun to comply with the administration's demands. Why would you invade a country if there was still a chance for peace? Shouldn't war be an absolute last resort? We went to war because we were misled. And we should be angry because of the 2,000 American soldiers and the 200 armed coalition forces that have died. We should be livid because of the 15,000 American soldiers that have been horribly maimed and wounded. We should be disgusted because of the 30,000 innocent Iraqi civilians that have been killed and the 20,000 that are wounded after administration officials claimed that the US was going to liberate the Iraqi people.

When does it stop? It stops with the indictment and impeachment of this corrupt, power-hungry, greedy group of incompetent leaders. How many more have to die before this happens?

Impeachment will be difficult. People must understand the power of Congress. When one party controls both the House and the Senate, they control the agenda. They control what hearings are held, what legislation gets voted on, whether subpoenas are issued and which investigations can take place. And they control whether impeachment proceedings can be brought.

We were clearly deceived by this administration and now we find ourselves fighting a war under false pretenses. There was no connection between Iraq and 9/11, despite Dick Cheney's many assertions. There were no WMD's and the CIA had intelligence which corroborated that evidence. There was no nuclear threat contrary to Condoleezza Rice's "smoking gun becoming a mushroom cloud" scare tactic. And there was no yellow cake purchased from Niger by Iraq as former Ambassador Joseph Wilson, along with our European allies, confirmed. All of these misconceptions and falsehoods were relentlessly stated. But this administration disregarded the facts because they wanted to wage this war, as we learned in the Downing Street memo.

This President will go down as the worst president in American history. His administration ignored and neglected the threats before 9/11. His team was not prepared to act and react before, during or after Hurricane Katrina. His policies have contributed to the hastening of global warming, an ever growing national debt, a rise in poverty and an increasing disparity between the rich and the poor. We are watching the middle-class disappear under Bush's leadership. He has taken our economy from the largest surplus in U.S. history to the largest deficit in U.S. history. And he has appointed several people to important positions that are unqualified and loyal to a dangerous fault.

With the recent controversy surrounding the potential indictments and charges of perjury against senior members of the Bush administration, some have made comparisons to the perjury charge that was brought against President Clinton. Perjury under any circumstance is wrong. However, in President Clinton’s situation, the matter was concerning an issue that only adversely affected himself and his family. But the potential charges filed against Bush’s closest advisors have put everybody’s families and the national security of the United States at risk.

Thank god the media and the American public are finally waking up and asking the tougher questions now. I keep hearing Harry Truman's famous statement ringing in my brain, "I wonder how many times you have to be hit on the head before you find out who's hitting you?"
Old 11-10-05, 02:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Capitol of the Empire! Center of all Commerce and Culture! Crossroads of Civilization! NEW ROME!!!...aka New York City
Why should we care about this again?
Old 11-10-05, 02:28 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I think the only people who think Barbra Streisand is worth listening to are those who disagree with her.
Old 11-10-05, 02:30 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by jdodd
I think the only people who think Barbra Streisand is worth listening to are those who disagree with her.
It's like certain peoples obsession/delusion that *all* Liberals hang on every word Michael Moore says.
Old 11-10-05, 02:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

In similar news, George Bush has called for the impeachment of her probiscus.
Old 11-10-05, 02:32 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Well...

I guess when you can't act, sing or get a decent nose job, a soap box to yell and complain about made up things looks appealing!
Old 11-10-05, 02:33 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by LiquidSky
It's like certain peoples obsession/delusion that *all* Liberals hang on every word Michael Moore says.
Well, to be fair, they made him a ton of $$$$$ last year.
Old 11-10-05, 02:34 PM
Enormous Genitals

Location: a small cottage on a cul de sac in the lower pits of hell.
This is just too funny.

If there was ever a time in history to impeach a President of the United States, it would be now. In my opinion, it is two years too late. We should have done this before the election to spare the country the misjudgment, the incompetence and the malfeasance of this administration.
Let's spare the country the ability to elect its own leader.

Impeachment will be difficult. People must understand the power of Congress. When one party controls both the House and the Senate, they control the agenda. They control what hearings are held, what legislation gets voted on, whether subpoenas are issued and which investigations can take place. And they control whether impeachment proceedings can be brought.
Hmmm, getting a Rupublican-controlled Congress to impeach a Republican President will be difficult. I wouldn't have thought that.

This President will go down as the worst president in American history. His administration ignored and neglected the threats before 9/11.
Yeah, for the 8 months prior to 9/11. What does Babs have to say about the previous 8 years under Clinton?

I dislike Bush, a lot. But rants like what Babs wrote make me cringe. I hate that extremists in both the Republican and Democratic parties have hijacked the agendas.
Old 11-10-05, 02:34 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Nazgul

To be fair, Hannity and Coulter are not exactly homeless
Old 11-10-05, 02:52 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Bandoman
This is just too funny.

Hmmm, getting a Rupublican-controlled Congress to impeach a Republican President will be difficult. I wouldn't have thought that.

Yeah, for the 8 months prior to 9/11. What does Babs have to say about the previous 8 years under Clinton?

I dislike Bush, a lot. But rants like what Babs wrote make me cringe. I hate that extremists in both the Republican and Democratic parties have hijacked the agendas.

Well put Bandoman
Old 11-10-05, 02:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

This is just too funny.

Agreed.

However, I will say that this is yet another case where I never would've heard about what political rants a celebrity was making if not for someone posting complaining about such celebrity rants. That kind of thing gives them way more exposure than they'd otherwise have. But, that's neither here nor there.
Old 11-10-05, 03:01 PM
Enormous Genitals

Then where is it?
Old 11-10-05, 03:03 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Ding! We have a winner.

The Republicans have become a party of tact-less assholes, sucking up to the Christian Right (as opposed to the Conservative base), spending freely and generally stomping around in big boots pissing everyone off. Have they ever heard of diplomacy? I think not. Have they come clean on the true motivations for Iraq? I think not. The only good things they've done are the tax cut and clearing out Afghanistan.

The Democrats are no better. They've become the learderless, fragmented, all-emotion know-nothings. They seem to rely on tired class-warfare talking points and petty gotcha politics. They refused to stand up to Bush over Iraq and nominated a least compelling candidate I think I've ever seen (and I remember Mondale). They've allowed themselves to be perceived as the party of Hollywood big mouths, trial lawyers, union shysters and East Coast elites. Worst of all, they've allowed the Republicans to dictate the political discourse.

Good God, nothing ever changes.
Old 11-10-05, 03:04 PM
DVD Talk God

Interesting stuff on Barb in the new book Do as I say....

Apparently she doesn't hire black people, spent $22,000 to water her lawn in a year, etc. It was really very interesting stuff. A true limosine liberal.
Old 11-10-05, 03:07 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Location: WAS looking for My Own Private Stuckeyville, but stuck in Liberty City (while missing Vice City)
Impeach? Waitasecond. Did Bush use a cigar on an intern?
Old 11-10-05, 03:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I thank Barbra for pointing all this out to me.

And, by the way, don't she and Barry Gibb look hot together on her new album cover?

Yeah, I didn't think so.
Old 11-10-05, 03:23 PM
Suspended

I always wanted Babs to sing Stayin' Alive. She may not have any political sense, but I still like her voice.
Old 11-10-05, 03:37 PM

Assuming for a second the Dems recapture both House/Senate in '06 and assuming it goes through that leaves Cheney in charge
Old 11-10-05, 03:40 PM
Enormous Genitals

Originally Posted by nemein
Assuming for a second the Dems recapture both House/Senate in '06 and assuming it goes through that leaves Cheney in charge
Yeah, be careful what you wish for. Unless they hope to impeach both Bush and Cheney, leaving the Speaker of the House, then a Democrat, to take over the white house. President Pelosi, anyone?
Old 11-10-05, 03:44 PM

Originally Posted by Nazgul
To be even more fair, he was given the most honored seat at the 2004 DNC.
Old 11-10-05, 03:48 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by jdodd
The Awful Truth.

Can we post Paulie Shore's political philosophy too?
Old 11-10-05, 03:50 PM

Originally Posted by Tommy Ceez
Why should we care about this again?
will this do it for you...

Her words:

Let us remember that UN weapons inspectors asked for more time to search Iraq for WMDs. Two months into their search, the Director General of the UN's International Atomic Energy Agency, Mohamed ElBaradei, stated that he found no evidence that Iraq had revived its nuclear weapons program since its elimination in the 1990s. And we should be angry because of the 2,000 American soldiers and the 200 armed coalition forces that have died. We should be livid because of the 15,000 American soldiers that have been horribly maimed and wounded. We should be disgusted because of the 30,000 innocent Iraqi civilians that have been killed and the 20,000 that are wounded after administration officials claimed that the US was going to liberate the Iraqi people.

We were clearly deceived by this administration and now we find ourselves fighting a war under false pretenses. There was no connection between Iraq and 9/11, despite Dick Cheney's many assertions. There were no WMD's and the CIA had intelligence which corroborated that evidence. There was no nuclear threat contrary to Condoleezza Rice's "smoking gun becoming a mushroom cloud" scare tactic. And there was no yellow cake purchased from Niger by Iraq as former Ambassador Joseph Wilson, along with our European allies, confirmed.
Old 11-10-05, 03:53 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by B.S.
This President will go down as the worst president in American history. His administration ignored and neglected the threats before 9/11. His team was not prepared to act and react before, during or after Hurricane Katrina. His policies have contributed to the hastening of global warming, an ever growing national debt, a rise in poverty and an increasing disparity between the rich and the poor. We are watching the middle-class disappear under Bush's leadership. He has taken our economy from the largest surplus in U.S. history to the largest deficit in U.S. history. And he has appointed several people to important positions that are unqualified and loyal to a dangerous fault.
Hey, she managed to fit all the far left talking points into one paragraph. Even I'm impressed.
Old 11-10-05, 03:54 PM

Originally Posted by Rogue588
Impeach? Waitasecond. Did Bush use a cigar on an intern?
NO, even worse---he used it on ALL the american people.
Old 11-10-05, 03:54 PM
Enormous Genitals

bareva, I agree that the stated basis for the war was just plain wrong. Whether people lied about it, I can't say, but I would like to get to the bottom of it. If we're going to blame the Bush administration and the Republicans, though, how do we reconcile all the Democrats, including John Kerry, who saw the same intelligence reports that Bush did and who also supported the war initially? There's plenty of blame to go around on this one.

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.