Religion, Politics and World Events They make great dinner conversation, don't you think? plus Political Film

Tim Kaine elected Governor of Virginia

Old 11-08-05, 08:37 PM
DVD Talk God

Tim Kaine elected Governor of Virginia

Wasn't able to vote today since I am out of town, but I would have voted for Kaine. Nothing really special about the guy but I like the way the VA has operated with split party control of the legislature and governor (and I like Mark Warner, the outgoing Gov). Jerry Kilgore, the Republican, seemingly had nothing to offer except a promise that he can't deliver on to widen I-66 inside the Beltway and a negative campaign about how Kaine is too liberal for VA.

This is probably an even bigger win for Mark Warner in his quest to go on to bigger and better things and a loss for President Bush and George Allen who saw their 'boy' lose in a red state. I'm think there is a very good chance that we will see Mark Warner on the 2008 Prez/VP ticket. If Dems were smart, they'd put him up top.
Old 11-08-05, 08:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

yeah, the campaign was pretty ugly. I am glad to see Kaine win.....although his eyebrows are creepy....
Old 11-08-05, 09:00 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I haven't been following this race, but from what I heard, Kaine won pretty easily. Was this expected?

In other gubenatorial news, Corzine won in New Jersey.

Were any other governor's mansions up for grabs? Are these Democratic victories a harbinger of 2006?
Old 11-08-05, 09:06 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by JasonF
I haven't been following this race, but from what I heard, Kaine won pretty easily. Was this expected?

Were any other governor's mansions up for grabs? Are these Democratic victories a harbinger of 2006?

Kilgore was ahead but Kaine had been steadily closing and passed him in the polls in the last few weeks. Honestly, it was a snorefest of a campaign. Kilgore made himself look like an ass with the negative campaign ads IMO.

Just 2 Gov races.
Old 11-08-05, 09:06 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Let's hope so.
Old 11-08-05, 09:11 PM
DVD Talk God

Both wins were expected.

No surprises.
Old 11-08-05, 09:12 PM
X
Administrator

Originally Posted by classicman2
Both wins were expected.

No surprises.
Exactly. Like someone would make a big deal of Bloomberg winning NYC.

I'm waiting for the California propositions to decide how brain-dead the typical voter currently is.
Old 11-08-05, 09:14 PM

Possibly, it's always hard to tell w/ state/local races though because you never know if local issues trump the national party bickering.
Old 11-08-05, 09:54 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Corzine didn't just win. He pummelled Forrester. As the recipient of endless nasty commercials, I'm surprised. I thought it would be closer.
Old 11-08-05, 10:07 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by CRM114
Corzine didn't just win. He pummelled Forrester. As the recipient of endless nasty commercials, I'm surprised. I thought it would be closer.
You underestimated the power of the (D) after Corzine's name. That is all that it really came down to.

They are both BAD candidates for governor. I didn't vote for either one.

Corzine will be a one term governor. The people are already pissed about property taxes. Corzine will not lower property taxes. He is going to raise spending. He is going to raise the gas tax. He has talked about providing health care for all NJ residents and that won't happen without raising taxes. One term governor. Only question for me is whether or not he will be a worse governor than McGreevey. We haven't had a good governor in a LONG time.
Old 11-08-05, 10:18 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Yeah - looks like the relubs took the lt. governor and AG. Weird electorate. Alot of people voting candidates and not party. Kaine won pretty handily (and no - it wasn't expected - I think most pre-election polls were split with some showing Kilgore winning).

I really think a big part of it was the reaction to Kilgore's death penalty ads - they were so disgusting. And the stupid "liberal" baiting.

Anyway - Kaine is pretty much a moderate republican anyway. But I'm glad he won - and yeah, it is a big win for Warner (who is also very creepy looking by the way). But I'd rather see Warner defeat Allen for the senate than run for president.
Old 11-08-05, 11:03 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Locally, 2 incumbent republicans got trounced in Tucson's city council too.

Tucson leans Democrat, but R's win a lot here too because this is a solidly red state. This is more significant because incumbents don't lose a lot and they were both big names locally.

People are voting against Repubs right now and against Bush.

Sign of things to come? Hopefully, but '06 is still a long way away.

If people think Bush can stay this low or even just gain a little ground in popularity, trust, and approval and the Dems won't win big next year, I think they're kidding themselves.
Old 11-08-05, 11:17 PM
X
Administrator

As goes Tucson, so goes the nation?
Old 11-09-05, 12:22 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by X
As goes Tucson, so goes the nation?
Yes, clearly that was what I was suggesting.
Old 11-09-05, 06:54 AM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by X
Exactly. Like someone would make a big deal of Bloomberg winning NYC.

I think it is a big deal that Kaine basically won on Mark Warner's popularity, which considering that VA is pretty red, says something about Warner.

Weird thing is that the Republican won the Lt Gov race.
Old 11-09-05, 06:57 AM

Originally Posted by dolphinboy
Locally, 2 incumbent republicans got trounced in Tucson's city council too.

Tucson leans Democrat, but R's win a lot here too because this is a solidly red state. This is more significant because incumbents don't lose a lot and they were both big names locally.

People are voting against Repubs right now and against Bush.

Sign of things to come? Hopefully, but '06 is still a long way away.

If people think Bush can stay this low or even just gain a little ground in popularity, trust, and approval and the Dems won't win big next year, I think they're kidding themselves.

Yet the Ohio ballot 'reform' initiatives strongly backed and funded by the Democratic party, both state and national, along with being supported by a great many liberal special interest groups, failed miserably. The Ohio Republican party won convincingly. Portend?
Old 11-09-05, 07:09 AM

Originally Posted by Pharoh
Yet the Ohio ballot 'reform' initiatives strongly backed and funded by the Democratic party, both state and national, along with being supported by a great many liberal special interest groups, failed miserably. The Ohio Republican party won convincingly. Portend?
Pharoh, how much effect do you think all the major newspapers coming out against those ballot initiatives had in their defeat? I think it may have been a deciding factor for a lot of people.
Old 11-09-05, 07:18 AM
Banned

The only reason I am happy about this, is because Warner was so pro-Hokie. He basically forced the president of UVA to hold out for a Hokie bid into the ACC. Any man who will use his power to help VT is a friend of mine. If Warner says Kaine is a good man, I will support him as well.
Old 11-09-05, 07:24 AM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by wendersfan
Pharoh, how much effect do you think all the major newspapers coming out against those ballot initiatives had in their defeat? I think it may have been a deciding factor for a lot of people.
I think newspaper endorsements or oppositions to ballot measures probably are more influential with the voter than do endorsements of candidates.
Old 11-09-05, 07:41 AM
DVD Talk God

I believe that people who are comparing Warner with Bill Clinton at this stage in their 'careers', and hoping (in vain) that he will follow the trail of Bill are making a big mistake. Warner ain't no Bill Clinton. Besides the Democratic Primary voter is going to have a Clinton to vote for in 2008. Sorry Mark, you might want to consider switching parties.
Old 11-09-05, 08:25 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by classicman2
Both wins were expected.

No surprises.
Ok, then. Serious question. Why do you think Bush campaigned for Kilgore on the last day before the election?
Old 11-09-05, 08:27 AM

Originally Posted by wendersfan

I think they played a large role in the defeats, along with two other factors. The word length of the initiatives and the subsequent confusion caused to some voters had a large impact. Lastly, a very good organised late push by the Ohio GOP proved beneficial, particularly in their strongholds.
Old 11-09-05, 08:29 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Weird thing is that the Republican won the Lt Gov race.
Not that weird - she was from Northern Virginia. NoVA isn't terribly liked by the rest of the state. I figured that out when I was in Norfolk and was asked "Are you from the nooooooorthern part of Virginia, son?"
Old 11-09-05, 08:36 AM
DVD Talk Hero

What a great Republican name - KILGORE.
Old 11-09-05, 09:12 AM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by Lord Rick
Ok, then. Serious question. Why do you think Bush campaigned for Kilgore on the last day before the election?
Why did Bush campaign in California in 2004?

Every political analyst I heard predicted a Kaine & Corzine victory.

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.