Religion, Politics and World Events They make great dinner conversation, don't you think? plus Political Film

Should the Armed Forces Radio & Television Be Fair & Balanced?

Old 11-08-05, 11:27 AM
DVD Talk God

Should the Armed Forces Radio & Television Be Fair & Balanced?

Apparently it carries the Rush Limbaugh program; and, some of the liberals (progressives) in the Senate want to balance Limbaugh with the requirement that a progressive talk show should be aired on the Armed Forces Radio & Television.

Tom Harkin (D/IA) introduced such an amendment.

Dan Inhoff (R/OK) introduced a second degree amendment that would, in effect, kill the Harkin amendment.

Inhoff argues that the progressive view is presented, because the AFRT carries NPR.

What do you think? Should our troops hear from both sides? Is NPR the liberal equivalent of the conservative Liimbaugh?

Last edited by classicman2; 11-08-05 at 11:30 AM.
Old 11-08-05, 11:31 AM

Inhoff argues that the progressive view is presented, because the AFRT carries NPR.

What do you think? Should our troops hear from both sides? Is NPR the liberal equivalent of the conservative Liimbaugh?
NPR is too the left but not as much as Rush is to the right, nor are the formats completely comparable to being w/. Doesn't Franken have a talk show or is that off the air already (what is the status of Air America ). That would balance things better. Perhaps putting the Pacifica News on there would also balance things (they are further to the left than Rush is to right IMHO, although there again the formats aren't completely comparable).

Regarding whether or not they should be there in the first place leave it to the ratings.

Of course an easy way to be "fair and balanced" would be to just start rebroadcasting Fox News

Last edited by nemein; 11-08-05 at 11:34 AM.
Old 11-08-05, 11:31 AM
DVD Talk Ruler

I think it should stay like it is, I don't want to subject our military to liberal lies on a daily basis.

Ok i'll reasonable about this and say anything in the 2am-4am timeslot is up for grabs.
Old 11-08-05, 11:34 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Madison, WI ("77 square miles surrounded by reality")
I've heard Ed Schultz trumpeting that he is now on Armed Forces Radio so it is happening without a law and without regard to NPR.
Old 11-08-05, 11:35 AM
DVD Talk God

I haven't listened to Limbaugh in 10 years or so; but, as I remember, he's more to the right than NPR is to the left.

BTW: IMHO, NPR has a 'progressive' (liberal is a bad word) tinge to it.
Old 11-08-05, 11:36 AM
DVD Talk Hero

The only liberals I ever met in the Army were originally from Canada
Old 11-08-05, 12:10 PM

Countering Rush Limbaugh with National Public Radio is like countering Newsmax with The New Republic. Not only is Limbaugh further to the right than NPR is to the left, he appeals to people's baser instincts, while NPR tries to appeal to people's sense of reason.
Old 11-08-05, 12:17 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by wendersfan
Countering Rush Limbaugh with National Public Radio is like countering Newsmax with The New Republic. Not only is Limbaugh further to the right than NPR is to the left, he appeals to people's baser instincts, while NPR tries to appeal to people's sense of reason.
Old 11-08-05, 12:17 PM

Originally Posted by kvrdave
I was being serious, and please note the use of the word 'tries'.
Old 11-08-05, 12:21 PM
DVD Talk God

Anyway you slice it, it is just the thinly veiled "conservatives are Neanderthals, and liberals use their brains and are smart" comment. Wasn't really that thinly veiled, either.
Old 11-08-05, 12:26 PM

Anyway you slice it, it is just the thinly veiled "conservatives are Neanderthals, and liberals use their brains and are smart" comment. Wasn't really that thinly veiled, either.
Actually, I didn't mean it that way at all. My point was that countering Limbaugh with NPR wasn't appropriate because, to put it crudely and innacurately, it's countering a "dumb conservative show" with a "smart liberal show". I was trying to be concise, but I guess I should have been more verbose, by advocating someone like Franken to counter Limbaugh ("dumb liberal" vs. "dumb conservative").

I don't listen to much radio so I have little context, but I read a lot, and I read <i>The National Interest</i>, <i>The Weekly Standard</i> <b>and</b> <i>The New Republic</i>, but I stay away from The Nation as much as I stay away from <i>Newsmax</i>. There are dumb conservatives and dumb liberals. I tray to avoid both.
Old 11-08-05, 12:35 PM
DVD Talk God

Who would a "smart conservative" be?
Old 11-08-05, 12:38 PM

Who would a "smart conservative" be?
Francis Fukuyama, Milton Friedman, David Brooks, William F Buckley, Charles Krauthammer, Irving Kristol, etc. Don't know if Dr. Huntington would count. Those on the left "accuse" him of being conservative, but I don't really know.

Last edited by wendersfan; 11-08-05 at 12:42 PM.
Old 11-08-05, 01:22 PM

Anyway you slice it, <b>it is just the thinly veiled "conservatives are Neanderthals, and liberals use their brains and are smart" comment. </b>Wasn't really that thinly veiled, either.
Originally Posted by wendersfan
<b>Actually, I didn't mean it that way at all. </b>My point was that countering Limbaugh with NPR wasn't appropriate because, to put it crudely and innacurately, <b>it's countering a "dumb conservative show" with a "smart liberal show". </b>
So you did mean it that way
Old 11-08-05, 01:27 PM

Originally Posted by nemein
So you did mean it that way
No.
Old 11-08-05, 02:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Since when does propaganda need to be fair and balanced?
Old 11-08-05, 03:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Capitol of the Empire! Center of all Commerce and Culture! Crossroads of Civilization! NEW ROME!!!...aka New York City
Shit, put Air America on AFR...get the Military vote to 100% Republican next election.
Old 11-08-05, 03:26 PM
Banned by request

NPR is really the only reason I still use a radio. Perhaps, instead of putting someone on to counter Limbaugh, they should just take Limbaugh off.

And I don't care what you call liberals, Limbaugh is a dumb conservative.
Old 11-09-05, 06:14 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Limbaugh actually went to Afghanistan, Beck and Hannity held rallies supporting our troops, you know, sayin' thanks for protecting our freedoms. In "freedom" I refer to the everyday necessities of discussing the societal ramifications of studios double-dipping DVDs and finding out which cheerleader made out with which. And TO, cannot forget about Terrell Owens.
Old 11-09-05, 06:17 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I think a better question is:

Should the New York Times be Fair and Balanced?
Old 11-09-05, 08:13 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Bartertown due to it having a better economy than where I really live, Buffalo NY
maybe they have limbaugh on because he general supports the military
Old 11-09-05, 08:16 PM

Originally Posted by MartinBlank
Limbaugh actually went to Afghanistan, Beck and Hannity held rallies supporting our troops, you know, sayin' thanks for protecting our freedoms.
Al Franken has made several USO tours visiting our troops in Afghanistan and Iraq.
Old 11-10-05, 05:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by mikehunt
maybe they have limbaugh on because he general supports the military
They have Limbaugh on because AFRTS had a vote amongst the armed forces. L. wasn't even on the ballot so a large majority wrote in his name.

The funniest thing was Harkin whining that AFRTS "carried 2,460 minutes of the 'Rush Limbaugh Show'." Simple math should show you how wrong that statement is. 60 x 3 = 180, 180 x 5 = 900. Unfortunately for Mr. Harkin, AFRTS only carries one hour of Limbaugh, making all they carry to be 300 minutes. This Harkin called a "monopoly".

Old 11-11-05, 08:09 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Different regional stations get to put whatever their local military audience most WANTS on the radio anyway - to a degree.

For instance, the second place vote among the troops in the field is to be given the FULL THREE HOURS of Limbaugh.

But they only have ONE HOUR available to them.

NPR, on the other hand, is available in its FULL 24 HOURS - and plays nearly round the clock on many stations.

I'd say one hour available versus twenty-four is pretty good "balance", especially since there ARE other liberal alternatives(it's just that the regional troops don't WANT those alternatives on their radio).

They're even denying the troops the full three hours of Limbaugh that they are asking for.

Harkin needs to settle down.