Religion, Politics and World Events They make great dinner conversation, don't you think? plus Political Film
View Poll Results: Should We Pull Out of Iraq?
Yes
40.82%
No You Pansy!
59.18%
Voters: 98. You may not vote on this poll

Should We Pull Out of Iraq?

Old 11-06-05, 02:58 PM

Should We Pull Out of Iraq?

Should we pull out of Iraq? Or are we going to keep our forces in that region for many years or even decades to come?

Discuss now.
Old 11-06-05, 02:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Moving to the "Why do you hate 'Merica?" forum...
Old 11-06-05, 03:00 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I alway pull out early. I don't know nothin bout birthin no babies.
Old 11-06-05, 03:17 PM

Should we eventualy pull out? Yes
Should we pull out right now? No
When is the right time to pull out? That's kind of hard to tell right now but I think we are continually building to it... the question is what kind of society are we going to leave behind.
Old 11-06-05, 03:21 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I'm with my man Patrick Buchanan. Claim victory and pull out. Hussein is gone. Regime change has occurred. If thats all we REALLY wanted, what are we waiting for? For the insurgency to say we give up? We'll be waiting a LONG time.
Old 11-06-05, 03:30 PM

Regime change has occurred.
But it's not really stable yet. We need to continue w/ the training of the local troops and see how the election in Dec goes. After that we can start talking about downscaling our troops and pulling out.
Old 11-06-05, 03:42 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by nemein
But it's not really stable yet. We need to continue w/ the training of the local troops and see how the election in Dec goes. After that we can start talking about downscaling our troops and pulling out.
Of course we wait until after the elections.

But for the Iraqi troops, what's that thing the Republicans like to say? "Its time to pull yourself up by your bootstraps." They either want a free country or they spinelessly give up to the insurgents. Its time for them to take their country in the direction they want it to go.
Old 11-06-05, 04:39 PM

Originally Posted by CRM114
I'm with my man Patrick Buchanan. Claim victory and pull out. Hussein is gone. Regime change has occurred. If thats all we REALLY wanted, what are we waiting for? For the insurgency to say we give up? We'll be waiting a LONG time.

Of the great many insane and dangerous things that have spewed out of the mouth of Mr. Buchanan, that is one of most, if not the single most, potentially disastrous things uttered.
Old 11-06-05, 04:42 PM

Originally Posted by Cancer Man
... Or are we going to keep our forces in that region for many years or even decades to come?

Discuss now.

God, I hope so.
Old 11-06-05, 04:57 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Yes.

*whew* Got that out of the way...on to the next thread!
Old 11-06-05, 04:58 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I firmly believe the real purpose of the invasion was to establish a base on the Persian Gulf off of Saudi soil, so I think we'll be there for decades to come. Hopefully, though, our presence will become more like our presence in Germany or Japan -- that is, people stationed there won't ever see anything close to combat.
Old 11-06-05, 05:01 PM
DVD Talk Ruler

Not only do I think we should stay in Iraq, I think we should put MORE soldiers there to prepare for the eventual takeover of Iran.
Old 11-06-05, 05:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

No, we should not pull out of Iraq.

But if the goal of the war really was to establish long-term bases in Iraq, then I would have been against the war from the start.
Old 11-06-05, 05:06 PM

Originally Posted by JasonF
I firmly believe the real purpose of the invasion was to establish a base on the Persian Gulf off of Saudi soil, so I think we'll be there for decades to come. Hopefully, though, our presence will become more like our presence in Germany or Japan -- that is, people stationed there won't ever see anything close to combat.

I've been posting about that for over two years now. Though it wasn't the sole purpose.
Old 11-06-05, 05:08 PM

Originally Posted by Ranger
No, we should not pull out of Iraq.

But if the goal of the war really was to establish long-term bases in Iraq, then I would have been against the war from the start.

I think the thread has been culled, but quite some time ago I posted a map of proposed Iraqi bases which came from DoD sources. I think much has changed since then, but it was always one of the primary objectives, rightfully in my opinion.
Old 11-06-05, 05:11 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by General Zod
Not only do I think we should stay in Iraq, I think we should put MORE soldiers there to prepare for the eventual takeover of Iran.

Yeah, after Iraq, I'm sure you'll get at least 2 more people to back up that new venture.
Old 11-06-05, 05:57 PM

We Have to stay in and finish what we started, we can't abandon those people now like we did in the first gulf war.
Old 11-06-05, 06:23 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Pharoh
I think the thread has been culled, but quite some time ago I posted a map of proposed Iraqi bases which came from DoD sources. I think much has changed since then, but it was always one of the primary objectives, rightfully in my opinion.
That has to be the worst idea I've ever heard. Setting up a permanent cause for jihadists everywhere. Rent-a-cause.

Is it that close to end of fossil fuel that we need to guard the fields like drug lords in Bolivia? If so, lets hear the truth.
Old 11-06-05, 07:02 PM
DVD Talk God

Forward base may have been one of the goals.

I don't believe it was the main purpose for the invasion of Iraq.

I haven't changed my belief of why the Bush administration took the action they did. I believe that Bush felt that Saddam posed a threat to the region.

Underlying all of it is oil. Let's not kid ourselves by the failure to recognize that truth.

If the growing of tulips was the main commodity of the Persian Gulf area, I seriously doubt that we would have invaded Iraq.
Old 11-06-05, 07:09 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by classicman2
Forward base may have been one of the goals.

I don't believe it was the main purpose for the invasion of Iraq.

I haven't changed my belief of why the Bush administration took the action they did. I believe that Bush felt that Saddam posed a threat to the region.

Underlying all of it is oil. Let's not kid ourselves by the failure to recognize that truth.

If the growing of tulips was the main commodity of the Persian Gulf area, I seriously doubt that we would have invaded Iraq.
Sounds pretty reasonable to me. While Saddam was not an immediate threat, at the time of the invasion, I think there were parties (i.e. Russia, France) very interested in lifting sanctions and allowing Saddam to rebuild. We took pre-emptive action and finished what we should have done after GW I.
Old 11-06-05, 07:20 PM
DVD Talk God

Reasonable - ?

Necessary - I don't believe the evidence indicates that the invasion was necessary.
Old 11-06-05, 07:27 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by classicman2
Reasonable - ?
Your assessment makes s e n s e.
Old 11-06-05, 08:28 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

You've got to excuse cman. It's been awhile since someone has found his posts to be reasonable and, naturally, he thought you were mocking him.
Old 11-06-05, 08:44 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I think we should re-invade.
Old 11-06-05, 08:53 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by Mrs.Nesbit
You've got to excuse cman. It's been awhile since someone has found his posts to be reasonable and, naturally, he thought you were mocking him.

You've confused what people think about my posts with what people think about yours.

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.