Religion, Politics and World Events They make great dinner conversation, don't you think? plus Political Film

Would you vote for this candidate

Old 11-05-05, 10:21 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Would you vote for this candidate

If a person running for Governor of the state, in a live debate, screwed up a very simple question and didn't know something very basic, for example the state's drinking age, would you vote for him?
Old 11-05-05, 10:33 PM
DVD Talk Hero

you have never heard the president speak in public?
Old 11-05-05, 10:40 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by al_bundy
you have never heard the president speak in public?
I'm not talking about stumblin over some words. I'm talking about just flat out not knowing so simple, something everybody knows.
Old 11-05-05, 10:46 PM

Are you talking about a specific incident?
Old 11-05-05, 11:03 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Groucho
Are you talking about a specific incident?
Corzine - Forrester debate tonight.

Corzine totally did not know the drinking age of the state that he wants to be governor of, and looked BAD when it happened.
Old 11-05-05, 11:34 PM
Political Exile

Since the political affiliation of this person who did something stupid was not stated, he must be a Democrat. %#@*& media bias!

Since he is a Democrat, I would not vote for him.
Old 11-06-05, 12:27 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Capitol of the Empire! Center of all Commerce and Culture! Crossroads of Civilization! NEW ROME!!!...aka New York City
How do you not know the drinking age?

BTE Corizine-Forester has been the dirtiest campaign I have ever seen.
Old 11-06-05, 03:22 AM

Seems he's blaming the Iraq war for his mistake

http://www.c-n.com/apps/pbcs.dll/art...NEWS/511060335
"I made a mistake. The fact is, I was focused on 18-year-olds in Iraq," Corzine said. "We're not going to give up federal funds; we're not going to give up on that."
BTW this is the only article I found that includes any mention of the drinking age thing... It's still relatively early after the incident though so maybe it's just a matter of time before the other news services pick it up
Old 11-06-05, 04:51 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

here is the article
But when Mr. Pressman asked Mr. Corzine if he supported lowering the drinking age, he was caught off guard.

Mr. Corzine, looking flustered, did not know that the age was 21, but said that he did not have a problem with lowering it to 18, considering that men and women that young are serving in Iraq and Afghanistan. But after the debate, when pressed by reporters, he backtracked and said that he did not support lowering the age.

The NYT does mention each candidate's party so GRUNDLE, you can rest easy.

It sounds like a big non-issue anyway because the knock on Corzine isn't that he is stupid/dumb - I mean he looks like your college professor but that he may do unethical things or character issues i.e. ex-wife.
Anyway, since Corzine is leading and Forrester can't seem to break much past 40% polling aggregate I say this race is all but over except for the voting.
Thanks for playing.
Old 11-06-05, 08:02 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

He further clarified it this morning by saying that he doesn't support lowering the drinking age, and that in fact he has introduced legislation into the Senate to toughen federal drunk driving rules. Something called "John's law" which is BASED ON NJ LAW. So the guy introduces federal legislation based on the NJ law, but then doesn't even know the NJ drinking age?

Not that Forrester is any better, but Corzine to me looked really really clueless last night.

But it doesn't matter, he is a democrat, and that is the only thing required to get elected governor of NJ.
Old 11-06-05, 11:56 AM

How do you not know the drinking age?
Because Corzine is an out of touch Limousine Liberal.
Old 11-06-05, 09:20 PM

Just saw an excerpt of this debate. Corzine rambling on about the tax cuts for the wealthy. When are the Dems going to realize that bull shit like that doesnt wash with the majority of Americans?
Old 11-06-05, 10:11 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by BKenn01
Just saw an excerpt of this debate. Corzine rambling on about the tax cuts for the wealthy. When are the Dems going to realize that bull shit like that doesnt wash with the majority of Americans?
It would be interesting to know what types of trusts, etc. Corzine has set up to keep himself from paying taxes.

I think he, like most very wealthy liberals, talk the game but have no interest in actually changing the rules so where they would pay. They like loopholes that keep them rich.
Old 11-06-05, 10:27 PM
X
Administrator

I have done an analysis of Corzine's taxes. The few that he would release (he's especially slimy in that regard.)

You can do a search for my posts and "Corzine" to find it.

Here, I'll save the search engine some work. http://www.dvdtalk.com/forum/showthr...ne#post6479796
Old 11-06-05, 10:51 PM
DVD Talk God

Thanks for the link. About what I figured.
Old 11-07-05, 05:31 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Corzine bought his Senate seat and now he is buying the governor's office.

Of course the other candidate is a rich guy trying to buy the office as well, so the voter's don't really have much of a choice.
Old 11-07-05, 05:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by grundle
Since the political affiliation of this person who did something stupid was not stated, he must be a Democrat. %#@*& media bias!

Since he is a Democrat, I would not vote for him.
Well, if he wasn't a democrat, it wouldn't have been posted here...
Old 11-07-05, 05:26 PM
DVD Talk God

Depends on the question. For example, see Rep. Gephardt's comment on the President being able to sign executive orders to overrule a SCt ruling in last year's primary campaign.

The miscue on this particular question wouldn't effect my opinion.
Old 11-07-05, 05:29 PM
X
Administrator

When GHWB couldn't answer what a half gallon of milk or a loaf of bread cost he was considered horribly out of touch with reality.

I buy them all the time and I still couldn't say what a generic loaf of bread costs and I'm not too sure about the half gallon of milk either.
Old 11-08-05, 03:00 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by tcoursen
I'm not talking about stumblin over some words. I'm talking about just flat out not knowing so simple, something everybody knows.
I can't find a link on the net to confirm it, but today's local paper said that Bush had called America and Brazil the world's "two largest democracies in the world". Apparently (again, according to the article), they added a comment that "of course, Bush was referring to the WESTERN world".

Assuming that it was actually said, that's not just stumbling - it's flat out wrong.