Release List Reviews Shop Join News DVD Giveaways Video Games Advertise
DVD Reviews | Theatrical Reviews | Price Search Buy Stuff Here
DVD Talk
DVD Reviews DVD Talk Headlines HD Reviews

Add to My Yahoo! - RSS 2.0 - RSS 2.0 - DVD Talk Podcast RSS -

Go Back   DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk > Religion, Politics and World Events

Religion, Politics and World Events They make great dinner conversation, don't you think? plus Political Film

Old 11-03-05, 12:34 AM   #1
HHS
Cool New Member

A bit overboard?

I found a link to this article on another site. I'm neither Christian nor have a family as large as the one in this article (which is quirky). But it really seemed to me that this author was rather invidious and hateful in his criticism.

What is this family's crime?

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/articl...&sn=010&sc=255
Old 11-03-05, 12:45 AM   #2
DVD Talk Legend

Uhh, its San Francisco. You have to ask?
Old 11-03-05, 12:46 AM   #3
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Ouch.

I doubt anybody in the Duggar family(who live less than ten miles from me), would write anything even half as mean-spirited about this guy, no matter what he did to them.

Oh yeah - but they have class.

"The policy of the American government is to leave their citizens free, neither restraining nor aiding them in their pursuits." - Thomas Jefferson

Last edited by natesfortune; 11-03-05 at 09:09 AM.
Old 11-03-05, 12:53 AM   #4
Banned

Thankfully, I stop buying that crappy paper years ago.
Old 11-03-05, 05:26 AM   #5
DVD Talk Legend

'Not to judge, Mr. Morford, but its none of your fecking business."

Old 11-03-05, 06:20 AM   #6
DVD Talk Legend

Location: (formerly known as Inglenook Hampendick) Fairbanks, Alaska!
endangered caribou stew

Dr Mabuse - You mock, but Sutherland got some fine young stuff off that kind of thing so don't sell it short.
Old 11-03-05, 07:54 AM   #7
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Mark Morford
2008 Stanley Cup Champions, Detroit Red Wings
2008 NBA Champions, Boston Celtics
Old 11-03-05, 08:27 AM   #8
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Maybe we should send this article to the guy:

http://www.jsonline.com/news/metro/oct05/361410.asp

About halfway down the story, we find out this woman has 16 children (5 adults, 11 children in foster care).
Old 11-03-05, 10:35 AM   #9
DVD Talk Godfather

The last paragraph of that article makes the most sense.
Old 11-03-05, 10:37 AM   #10
X
Administrator

This may have something to do with the average number of children per two adults in a committed relationship in SF being about 0.1.
Old 11-03-05, 10:45 AM   #11
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I thought San Francisco was full of tolerant, openminded, understanding liberals?
Or is that only if you're gay, I'm sorry, alternately-oriented?
Hypocrites. I'm not homophobic, I'm asshole-phobic, and this guy is now on the top of the list.
Old 11-03-05, 01:10 PM   #12
DVD Talk Godfather

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtcarson
I'm not homophobic, I'm asshole-phobic...
You do realize how funny that sounds.
Old 11-03-05, 02:21 PM   #13
Banned

Quote:
I thought San Francisco was full of tolerant, openminded, understanding liberals?
Or is that only if you're gay, I'm sorry, alternately-oriented?
Hypocrites. I'm not homophobic, I'm asshole-phobic, and this guy is now on the top of the list.
You have to be a liberal in order to receive any sort of tollerant in this city.
Old 11-03-05, 02:30 PM   #14
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Capitol of the Empire! Center of all Commerce and Culture! Crossroads of Civilization! NEW ROME!!!...aka New York City
Quote:
Originally Posted by HHS
I found a link to this article on another site. I'm neither Christian nor have a family as large as the one in this article (which is quirky). But it really seemed to me that this author was rather invidious and hateful in his criticism.

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/articl...&sn=010&sc=255
I'm confused...what does this article have to do with White Supremacy, jews, or the cheap Scotsmen?
Old 11-03-05, 02:56 PM   #15
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by HHS
Well maybe the author is assuming that there's no way that these 2 parents can afford to pay for all these kids themselves, so the burdon to raise these kids is going to fall on the taxpayers (via foodstamps and whatnot).

I didn't read anything in the article about what these people did for a living, or what their income is. If you ask me, though, anyone who continually sprouts children out of their uterus when they can't pay for them deserves our scorn. If, on the other hand, the family is financially secure, and not taking any handouts, then I think the author of the article went too far.
Old 11-03-05, 03:03 PM   #16
Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeblow69
I didn't read anything in the article about what these people did for a living, or what their income is. If you ask me, though, anyone who continually sprouts children out of their uterus when they can't pay for them deserves our scorn. If, on the other hand, the family is financially secure, and not taking any handouts, then I think the author of the article went too far.
I agree. And also have no idea about their financial sitaution.

The author does make a fair point about the kids being disadvantaged as they'll get much less attention than kids in a regular sized family. I think that's a fair point, but not worth lambasting the parents over as long as theres no out and out abuse or neglect going on. And there's been no reports of such.
Old 11-03-05, 03:10 PM   #17
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeblow69
Well maybe the author is assuming that there's no way that these 2 parents can afford to pay for all these kids themselves, so the burdon to raise these kids is going to fall on the taxpayers (via foodstamps and whatnot).

The Duggars live not far from me. They are not on any kind of public assistance. They are not rich, either, but are hardworkers and have everything they need without being on the dole.

"The policy of the American government is to leave their citizens free, neither restraining nor aiding them in their pursuits." - Thomas Jefferson
Old 11-03-05, 03:12 PM   #18
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

So the "author" is engaging in willful stereotypes and assumptions, that the family can't afford the kids, and OBVIOUSLY a Southern religious family with 16 kids is ignorant and Biblethumping and a drain on society.
And I thought that we had welfare and Family Assistance for precisely that type of family, the ones who need help "For the Children!" Oh, I get it: this family isn't eligible because they're
a) white
b) Christian
c) married.
Old 11-03-05, 03:20 PM   #19
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by HHS
They're pushing their evil heterosexual agenda onto us all.
Old 11-03-05, 03:20 PM   #20
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Quote:
So the "author" is engaging in willful stereotypes and assumptions...
I have to admit, when I first read the story, the first thing I thought of was:
Old 11-03-05, 03:45 PM   #21
Retired

Quote:
And I thought that we had welfare and Family Assistance for precisely that type of family, the ones who need help "For the Children!"

Oh, I get it: this family isn't eligible because they're

a) white
b) Christian
c) married.
Don't be absurd. None of that had anything to do with it. The point was that needing welfare to take care of 16 kids is absurd. People should only have as many kids as they can afford ideally, and obviously if you need welfare having 16 kids is way too extreme. Having a couple kids and needing welfare is ok. Needing welfare and continually popping out children is not, and is abusing the system IMO.

But anyway, that's a moot point since natesfortune said they're not on public assistance.

But that was the generalization the author was making, not one based on race, religion or marital status.
Old 11-03-05, 03:48 PM   #22
DVD Talk Hero

it seems the author is more pissed that they are presumedly conservative and christian than anything else.
Old 11-03-05, 03:53 PM   #23
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I think this quote reveals how Morford views the world..

"Perhaps this the scariest aspect of our birthin' tale: Maybe the scales are tipping to the neoconservative, homogenous right in our culture simply because they tend not to give much of a damn for the ramifications of wanton breeding and environmental destruction and pious sanctimony, whereas those on the left actually seem to give a whit for the health of the planet and the dire effects of overpopulation."
2008 Stanley Cup Champions, Detroit Red Wings
2008 NBA Champions, Boston Celtics
Old 11-03-05, 03:55 PM   #24
Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by Venusian
it seems the author is more pissed that they are presumedly conservative and christian than anything else.
Maybe a little.

I think it was just more bitterness that people bitch and moan and try to keep gays for being able to adopt kids (or have their own through artifical insemination for lesbian couples) and yet no one bitches when a woman has 16 kids and presumably raises them on welfare becasue they are hetero, conservative and christian.

Again, it was a stupid and misguided article as they're apparently not on welfare, but I think that was the crux of the argument.

The author was just looking for a hypocracy where there is none in this case.

Actually, I guess there could be some as I imagine a gay couple with one or two kids would probably do better parenting simply because they can give the kids more individual attention than parents with 16 kids. So it's lame for people to bitch that gays can't be adequate parents an then to say this is ok.
Old 11-03-05, 04:00 PM   #25
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Hinkle
Don't be absurd. None of that had anything to do with it. The point was that needing welfare to take care of 16 kids is absurd. People should only have as many kids as they can afford ideally, and obviously if you need welfare having 16 kids is way too extreme. Having a couple kids and needing welfare is ok. Needing welfare and continually popping out children is not, and is abusing the system IMO.

But anyway, that's a moot point since natesfortune said they're not on public assistance.

But that was the generalization the author was making, not one based on race, religion or marital status.
What if 15 kids were fine, and with the 16th, you needed a little bit of aid?

So the author assumes that since they have 16 kids, without doing any more research, they *obviously* are on welfare, and since they're Southern white heterosexual Christians, that's a bad thing [both the welfare and the having 16 kids]?

Why is having 2 kids and using welfare for both of them ok, when 16 is not? The difference is only one of quantity, not of kind. If people "should" have only as many kids as they can afford, then lets eliminate all welfare to help the children. Forced sterilization would be much cheaper, and more in line with your ideas of what people 'should' do with their own bodies.

In fact, having reread that article, I see the author says *nothing* about the family needing public assistance. It's all Mother Earth and "overpopulation"; somehow it's the fault of this middle American family that African dictators starve their millions of 'citizens'.
Oh, and though he mocks and insults religion and religious people, he claims to be able to know what God thinks/wants.

Having reread it, I stand by my opinion: hypocritical judgemental jerk, whose primary form of 'writing' is stereotyping and insulting those different from him, all in the 'I'm so much better than you' vein.