Religion, Politics and World Events They make great dinner conversation, don't you think? plus Political Film

Denver legalizes marijuana, but only in amounts too small to grow.

Old 11-02-05, 06:27 PM
Political Exile

Denver legalizes marijuana, but only in amounts too small to grow.

I have zero exprience with marijuana. But I would think that a marijuana plant weighs more than one ounce. So it's still illegal to actually grow marijuana.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20051102/...nver_marijuana

Denver Voters OK Marijuana Possession

By JON SARCHE, Associated Press Writer Wed Nov 2, 7:40 AM ET

DENVER - Residents of the Mile High City have voted to legalize the possession of small amounts of marijuana for adults. Authorities, though, said state possession laws will be applied instead.

With 100 percent of precincts reporting early Wednesday, 54 percent, or 56,001 voters, cast ballots for the ordinance, while 46 percent, or 48,632 voters, voted against it.

Under the measure, residents over 21 years old could possess up to an ounce of marijuana.

"We educated voters about the facts that marijuana is less harmful to the user and society than alcohol," said Mason Tvert, campaign organizer for SAFER, or Safer Alternatives For Enjoyable Recreation. "To prohibit adults from making the rational, safer choice to use marijuana is bad public policy."

Bruce Mirken of the Washington, D.C.-based Marijuana Policy Project said he hoped the approval will launch a national trend toward legalizing a drug whose enforcement he said causes more problems than it cures.

Seattle, Oakland, Calif., and a few college towns already have laws making possession the lowest law enforcement priority.

The Denver proposal seemed to draw at least as much attention for supporters' campaign tactics as it did for the question of legalizing the drug.

Tvert argued that legalizing marijuana would reduce consumption of alcohol, which he said leads to higher rates of car accidents, domestic and street violence and crime.

The group criticized Mayor John Hickenlooper for opposing the proposal, noting his ownership of a popular brewpub. It also said recent violent crimes — including the shootings of four people last weekend — as a reason to legalize marijuana to steer people away from alcohol use.

Those tactics angered local officials and some voters. Opponents also said it made no sense to prevent prosecution by Denver authorities while marijuana charges are most often filed under state and federal law.

The measure would not affect the medical marijuana law voters approved in 2000. In June, the U.S. Supreme Court ruled that medical marijuana laws in Colorado and nine other states would not protect licensed users from federal prosecution.

Also Tuesday, voters in the ski resort town of Telluride rejected a proposal to make possession of an ounce or less of marijuana by people 18 or older the town's lowest law enforcement priority. The measure was rejected on a vote of 308-332.
Old 11-02-05, 06:42 PM

I don't know if the weight of the entire plant would be taken into consideration, or just the leaves and buds (the smokable part).
Old 11-02-05, 06:44 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Baby steps. to Denver.
Old 11-02-05, 06:45 PM

how many people do you think are gonna move to Denver now?
Old 11-02-05, 07:09 PM
DVD Talk God

duplicate post

http://www.dvdtalk.com/forum/newrepl...eply&p=6512407

Last edited by classicman2; 11-02-05 at 07:14 PM.
Old 11-02-05, 08:10 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by Chaos
how many people do you think are gonna move to Denver now?

let's see....bfrank, and, uh.....well, that's one at least.
Old 11-02-05, 08:12 PM

Originally Posted by kvrdave
let's see....bfrank, and, uh.....well, that's one at least.
you forgot the editors, staff and all subscribers of High Times
Old 11-02-05, 08:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

shit. an ounce is still an assload of weed. I could understand an eighth or even a quarter, but an ounce could still probably get a football team (or Tila) high for a long time.....

I guess I could get used to the cold.....
Old 11-02-05, 09:03 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by dick_grayson
shit. an ounce is still an assload of weed. I could understand an eighth or even a quarter, but an ounce could still probably get a football team (or Tila) high for a long time.....
Seriously? I have no idea how much an ounce of weed is, but I know how much an ounce is, and it doesn't seem like a lot. What does the average cigarette weigh I wonder? That would give me a good basis of comparison.
Old 11-02-05, 09:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Seriously? I have no idea how much an ounce of weed is, but I know how much an ounce is, and it doesn't seem like a lot. What does the average cigarette weigh I wonder? That would give me a good basis of comparison.
you could probably roll 30 (possibly more) good-sized joints with an ounce. It's about 3/4 of a sandwich bag.....or so I've heard.

I found a pic (not mine):

Old 11-02-05, 09:18 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

It's a pretty large amount. Of course, depends on who's smoking it. I know this 100 pound asian guy who smokes an ounce a week...

But that's a LOT. I don't think your average pot smoker would get through that in less than a few months.
Old 11-02-05, 09:39 PM

Originally Posted by jaeufraser
I know this 100 pound asian guy who smokes an ounce a week...

Now you know why he weights that much...
Old 11-02-05, 11:03 PM
DVD Talk God

you could probably roll 30 (possibly more) good-sized joints with an ounce. It's about 3/4 of a sandwich bag.....or so I've heard.

I found a pic (not mine):

No kidding. That seems huge. HUGE!!! I suppose dried up, etc. it doesn't exactly have a huge density.

It makes no difference to me, but I would think that if they really wanted to get something like this to get through laws, they would write it so that you could have no more than an ounce in your home, and no more than a tenth of an ounce (roughly) on your possession. If I were anti-marijuana, I would have the above picture in every ad showing how much an ounce is.
Old 11-02-05, 11:23 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

FYI, in Oregon, if you have a Marijuana card, you will be able to grow 24 plants at your own home or caregiver's home (up from the 14 plant maximum), in addition to having 24+ ounces on your person. The reason I say 24+ is because the legislature passed new laws which haven't been public yet, increasing the amount of Marijuana a marijuana card holder can have.

Ooops, I guess I wasn't supposed to say this.
Old 11-02-05, 11:31 PM
DVD Talk God

That seems like an awful lot considering the size of that sandwich bag.
Old 11-03-05, 12:13 AM
DVD Talk Legend

In other news, Colorado has just been declared a blue state.
Old 11-03-05, 03:14 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Good job, Denver!
Old 11-03-05, 04:18 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

White and Green states for 2008
Old 11-03-05, 08:25 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Good!
Old 11-03-05, 08:35 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Legalize it and tax the shit out of it. Could solve our deficit problems in a few years.
Old 11-03-05, 08:42 AM
DVD Talk God

It will be interesting to see the response by the state in this case.
Old 11-03-05, 08:48 AM
DVD Talk God

According to the news of yesterday (when I first posted this news in another thread ), it violates state law.
Old 11-03-05, 10:32 AM

30?!?!? I don't know what kind of fat spliffs you've been rolling, but you can get a lot more that 30 joints out of an ounce.

...or so I'm told.
Old 11-03-05, 10:35 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Maybe he meant 30 blunts...
Old 11-03-05, 10:37 AM

Originally Posted by Mrs.Nesbit
Maybe he meant 30 blunts...
Actually, it's probably been 20 years since I last rolled a joint.

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.