Religion, Politics and World Events They make great dinner conversation, don't you think? plus Political Film

Maryland Democrats throw Oreo cookies at black Republican.

Old 11-02-05, 03:43 PM
  #1  
Political Exile
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 15,988
Maryland Democrats throw Oreo cookies at black Republican.

http://www.washingtontimes.com/metro...4932-4054r.htm

'Party trumps race' for Steele foes

By S.A. Miller

THE WASHINGTON TIMES

November 2, 2005

<b>Black Democratic leaders in Maryland say that racially tinged attacks against Lt. Gov. Michael S. Steele in his bid for the U.S. Senate are fair because he is a conservative Republican.

Such attacks against the first black man to win a statewide election in Maryland include pelting him with Oreo cookies during a campaign appearance, calling him an "Uncle Tom" and depicting him as a black-faced minstrel on a liberal Web log.

Operatives for the Democratic Senatorial Campaign Committee (DSCC) also obtained a copy of his credit report -- the only Republican candidate so targeted.</b>

But black Democrats say there is nothing wrong with "pointing out the obvious."

"There is a difference between pointing out the obvious and calling someone names," said a campaign spokesman for Kweisi Mfume, a Democratic candidate for U.S. Senate and former president of the National Association for the Advancement of Colored People.

State Sen. Lisa A. Gladden, a black Baltimore Democrat, said she does not expect her party to pull any punches, including racial jabs at Mr. Steele, in the race to replace retiring Democratic U.S. Sen. Paul S. Sarbanes.

"Party trumps race, especially on the national level," she said. "If you are bold enough to run, you have to take whatever the voters are going to give you. It's democracy, perhaps at its worse, but it is democracy."

Delegate Salima Siler Marriott, a black Baltimore Democrat, said Mr. Steele invites comparisons to a slave who loves his cruel master or a cookie that is black on the outside and white inside because his conservative political philosophy is, in her view, anti-black.

"Because he is a conservative, he is different than most public blacks, and he is different than most people in our community," she said. "His politics are not in the best interest of the masses of black people."

During the 2002 campaign, Democratic supporters pelted Mr. Steele with Oreo cookies during a gubernatorial debate at Morgan State University in Baltimore.

In 2001, Senate President Thomas V. Mike Miller Jr. called Mr. Steele an "Uncle Tom," when Mr. Steele headed the state Republican Party. Mr. Miller, Prince George's County Democrat, later apologized for the remark.

"That's not racial. If they call him the "N' word, that's racial," Mrs. Marriott said. "Just because he's black, everything bad you say about him isn't racial."

This week, the News Blog -- a liberal Web log run by Steve Gilliard, a black New Yorker -- removed a doctored photo of Mr. Steele that depicted him as a black-faced minstrel.

However, the blog has kept its headline "Simple Sambo wants to move to the big house." A caption beneath a photo of the lieutenant governor reads: "I's Simple Sambo and I's running for the Big House."

A spokesman for the Maryland Democratic Party denounced the depiction as being "extremely offensive" and having "no place in politics or in any other aspect of public discourse," The Washington Post reported. Democrats have denied any connection to the News Blog.

Still, Mfume spokesman Joseph P. Trippi said Mr. Steele opens himself to such criticism by defending Gov. Robert L. Ehrlich Jr. for holding a Republican fundraiser in July at the all-white Elkridge Club in Baltimore.

"The facts are the facts. Ehrlich went to that country club, and Steele said it didn't bother him," Mr. Trippi said. "I think that says something ... and should be part of this debate."

Several club members told the Baltimore Sun that, though blacks are welcome as guests and there is no policy banning blacks from membership, the club never has had a black member in its 127-year history.

Democrats also have used the club for various events, including Peter O'Malley, brother of and adviser to Baltimore Mayor Martin O'Malley, a Democratic candidate for governor. Peter O'Malley held his wedding reception there in 2003.

State Sen. Verna Jones, Baltimore Democrat and vice chairman of the General Assembly's legislative black caucus, said black Republicans deserve criticism because the Republican Party has not promoted the interests of the black community.

"The public policies supported by Democratic principles are the ones that most impact the African-American community," she said. "I'm not saying [Mr. Steele] is a sell-out. That's not for me to say."

In July, however, Mr. Mfume noted how Republicans were rallying for Mr. Steele but his party had ignored his historic candidacy. "More voters in Maryland are carrying the impression that the Democratic Party talks the talk, but doesn't always walk the walk. People may find a way to cross over in the fall," he said.

Steele campaign spokesman Leonardo Alcivar said state Democrats are afraid of losing the black vote to Mr. Steele.

"That has caused a great tremble throughout the Maryland Democratic Party," he said. "Of course [they are] going to condone racism. It's nothing new, and it's not surprising."
grundle is offline  
Old 11-02-05, 03:44 PM
  #2  
DVD Talk God
 
Join Date: Feb 2000
Location: Directionally Challenged (for DirecTV)
Posts: 122,482
People such as Steele, Condi Rice, and Justice Thomas aren't considered 'black' anymore.

Last edited by Red Dog; 11-02-05 at 03:47 PM.
Red Dog is offline  
Old 11-02-05, 03:46 PM
  #3  
Moderator
 
Groucho's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2000
Location: Salt Lake City, Utah
Posts: 70,538
But he's so well spoken!
Groucho is online now  
Old 11-02-05, 03:51 PM
  #4  
DVD Talk Platinum Edition
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Posts: 3,639
Ah, the "party of peace" strikes again.
natesfortune is offline  
Old 11-02-05, 03:51 PM
  #5  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Pleasantville - in black & white ;P
Posts: 5,970
"The public policies supported by Democratic principles are the ones that most impact the African-American community," she said. "I'm not saying [Mr. Steele] is a sell-out. That's not for me to say."
Big difference between IMPACT and IMPROVE.
mosquitobite is offline  
Old 11-02-05, 04:14 PM
  #6  
DVD Talk Hall of Fame
 
LiquidSky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Location: Pokey Dot Lounge, Nashville, TN
Posts: 9,169
Originally Posted by natesfortune
Ah, the "party of peace" strikes again.
Ah, and someone likes painting with broad strokes. There are lunatics on BOTH sides. Example: during the election, a church sponsored youth group in my parent's home town had a scavenger hunt. The list contained John Kerry signs....which they promptly collected and burned at a bonfire. Should I go around believing that *all* Republicans would do this?
LiquidSky is offline  
Old 11-02-05, 04:21 PM
  #7  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Bremerton WA
Posts: 5,318
Yes. Yes you should.
Nesbit is offline  
Old 11-02-05, 05:06 PM
  #8  
DVD Talk Hero
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: MI
Posts: 25,041
Such attacks against the first black man to win a statewide election in Maryland include pelting him with Oreo cookies during a campaign appearance, calling him an "Uncle Tom" and depicting him as a black-faced minstrel on a liberal Web log.

Operatives for the Democratic Senatorial Campaign Committee (DSCC) also obtained a copy of his credit report -- the only Republican candidate so targeted.

But black Democrats say there is nothing wrong with "pointing out the obvious."
Black leaders behaving like poop-throwing monkeys instead of civilized human beings? That's a great way to improve the image of blacks in American culture.

It's also odd that black leaders disapprove of a black man being successful and "part of the system" even more than the Klan does.

Could that be racist. No, impossible, they're black.
OldDude is offline  
Old 11-02-05, 06:12 PM
  #9  
DVD Talk Hero
 
Th0r S1mpson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 1999
Location: Seattle, WA
Posts: 36,443
Unbelievable that this sort of thing would be publicly accepted by any minority group.
Th0r S1mpson is offline  
Old 11-02-05, 06:12 PM
  #10  
Banned
 
Join Date: Jan 2000
Location: Democratik People's Republik of Kalifornia
Posts: 22,995
Shit like this always happen when certain blacks become successful and wander off.
Myster X is offline  
Old 11-02-05, 06:31 PM
  #11  
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition
 
BKenn01's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Big Blue Nation!
Posts: 4,497
There are lunatics on BOTH sides.
Yes, but the extreme minority is in control of the Democrats.
BKenn01 is offline  
Old 11-02-05, 06:33 PM
  #12  
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition
 
BKenn01's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Big Blue Nation!
Posts: 4,497
Shit like this always happen when certain blacks become successful and wander off.
Yea, heaven forbid someone succeed without government help.
BKenn01 is offline  
Old 11-02-05, 06:48 PM
  #13  
Moderator
 
nemein's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 1999
Location: 1bit away from total disaster
Posts: 34,126
This is the best the intellectually superior side can come up w/ Can't say it really surprises me at all.
nemein is offline  
Old 11-02-05, 06:54 PM
  #14  
DVD Talk God
 
kvrdave's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Location: Pacific NW
Posts: 86,200
"That's not racial. If they call him the "N' word, that's racial," Mrs. Marriott said. "Just because he's black, everything bad you say about him isn't racial."

However, this only applies one way.

Oh come defend this, my liberal friends.

Really no different than how "feminists" treat successful conservative women.
kvrdave is offline  
Old 11-02-05, 07:02 PM
  #15  
DVD Talk Godfather
 
DVD Polizei's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Posts: 51,946
I'm surprised they didn't throw charts at him.
DVD Polizei is offline  
Old 11-03-05, 12:06 AM
  #16  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: MA
Posts: 17,006
Of course the Reps would just throw Bibles back
Rockmjd23 is online now  
Old 11-03-05, 12:39 AM
  #17  
Banned
 
Join Date: Jan 2000
Location: Democratik People's Republik of Kalifornia
Posts: 22,995
Maybe this was posted in SC nominations thread already.
Thomas is NOT black anymore.

http://www.worldnetdaily.com/news/ar...TICLE_ID=47167

Clarence Thomas not a real black?
Paper arguing for court 'diversity' wants asterisk by his name


In an editorial arguing for "diversity" on the U.S. Supreme Court after the nomination yesterday of Samuel Alito, the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel suggested Justice Clarence Thomas doesn't count as a black.

The daily's editorial board, lamenting the choice of a man to replace Justice Sandra Day O'Connor, opined today: "In losing a woman, the court with Alito would feature seven white men, one white woman and a black man, who deserves an asterisk because he arguably does not represent the views of mainstream black America."

The paper said the Alito nomination is "troubling" because "it's liable to divide America" and "it lessens the extent to which the court mirrors the nation's rich diversity."

The editorial board said O'Connor "seems to have grown wiser about diversity as a result of her Supreme Court experience. She came to see the virtues of having a court that looks like America doubtless a big reason she softened her opposition to affirmative action in recent years."

Last December, a conservative black group asked for an apology from Senate Minority Leader Harry Reid for criticizing Thomas purportedly because he doesn't, as an African American, adhere to Democratic Party policies.

Asked about Thomas as a possible chief justice, Reid said in an NBC "Meet the Press" interview, "I think that he has been an embarrassment to the Supreme Court."

Without providing details or evidence, Reid said, "I think that his opinions are poorly written. I just don't think that he's done a good job as a Supreme Court justice."

Wendell Talley of the national leadership network of black conservatives, Project 21, responded, "Senator Reid has revealed the intolerance found on the political left for minorities who do not reside on their ideological plantation."

Talley noted Thomas "has been in the public eye for approximately 15 years and conducted himself with integrity."

"Reid seemed to be around just 15 minutes before he made a fool of himself," Talley said. "He should apologize to Justice Thomas for his comments."

Project 21 member Mychal Massie, a WND columnist, said he considered Reid's comments to be "among the boldest and most unambiguously racist public attacks since the day when lynchings were commonplace and Orval Faubus and Bull Connor openly used their political power to keep blacks down."

"The fact that Justice Thomas may become our nation's first black chief justice is a tremendous civil rights milestone, but it will be a tremendous step backward if he were undermined simply for being a black conservative," Massie said. "Not only will it hurt Justice Thomas personally, but it could stifle future generations of black Americans from expressing independent and diverse political opinions."
Myster X is offline  
Old 11-03-05, 01:40 AM
  #18  
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Germany
Posts: 95
Suddenly, out of nowhere, all republicans rejoice that the Washington Times is always 100% factual and unbiased. The Liberal Media is dead. (This rule does not apply to any stories mentioning Valerie Plame, The Niger Documents, or any other scandal that applies to our current administration.)

Seriously, there are nut cases on both sides of the political landscape as stated above. Currently, the Republicans are doing their best to please their fanatical wing and their really is no one in charge for the Democrats, although I believe this is changing.

Democrats as a whole do not support this, just as Repunblicans as a whole do not support murdering Abortion Doctors.
mseang is offline  
Old 11-03-05, 01:41 AM
  #19  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: MA
Posts: 17,006
Originally Posted by mseang
Democrats as a whole do not support this, just as Repunblicans as a whole do not support murdering Abortion Doctors.
'Repunblican' leadership didn't muder abortion doctors.
Rockmjd23 is online now  
Old 11-03-05, 02:43 AM
  #20  
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition
 
Shoveler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2000
Location: Cedar Rapids, IA, USA
Posts: 4,708
Originally Posted by LiquidSky
Ah, and someone likes painting with broad strokes. There are lunatics on BOTH sides. Example: during the election, a church sponsored youth group in my parent's home town had a scavenger hunt. The list contained John Kerry signs....which they promptly collected and burned at a bonfire. Should I go around believing that *all* Republicans would do this?
Originally Posted by mseang
Seriously, there are nut cases on both sides of the political landscape as stated above. Currently, the Republicans are doing their best to please their fanatical wing and their really is no one in charge for the Democrats, although I believe this is changing.

Democrats as a whole do not support this, just as Repunblicans as a whole do not support murdering Abortion Doctors.
"There is a difference between pointing out the obvious and calling someone names," said a campaign spokesman for Kweisi Mfume, a Democratic candidate for U.S. Senate and former president of the National Association for the Advancement of Colored People.

State Sen. Lisa A. Gladden, a black Baltimore Democrat, said she does not expect her party to pull any punches, including racial jabs at Mr. Steele, in the race to replace retiring Democratic U.S. Sen. Paul S. Sarbanes.

"Party trumps race, especially on the national level," she said. "If you are bold enough to run, you have to take whatever the voters are going to give you. It's democracy, perhaps at its worse, but it is democracy."

Delegate Salima Siler Marriott, a black Baltimore Democrat, said Mr. Steele invites comparisons to a slave who loves his cruel master or a cookie that is black on the outside and white inside because his conservative political philosophy is, in her view, anti-black.

"Because he is a conservative, he is different than most public blacks, and he is different than most people in our community," she said. "His politics are not in the best interest of the masses of black people."
Seriously, do you defenders of this blatant racism believe the line you're selling, or are you just digging in your heels and refusing to budge? You are willing to sit back and tolerate vile, racist remarks from leaders and elected representatives who happen to be Democrats just because they are directed at a Republican?

Can you not see that they are attempting to maintain and enforce a racial stereotype? They are saying that black people vote and think like Democrats, therefore anyone who acts or thinks differently is not black. How is that any better than any other stereotype about African Americans (or any other race, for that matter)?

And you try to defend it by pointing out fringe behavior on the Republican/conservative side??? Give me a break! Republicans, as a whole, condemn the murder of abortion doctors. Please show me the mass of Democrats condemning this behavior.
Shoveler is offline  
Old 11-03-05, 04:24 AM
  #21  
DVD Talk Godfather
 
DVD Polizei's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Posts: 51,946
Originally Posted by Rockmjd23
Of course the Reps would just throw Bibles back
...
DVD Polizei is offline  
Old 11-03-05, 07:49 AM
  #22  
DVD Talk God
 
Join Date: Jun 1999
Posts: 68,522
Originally Posted by BKenn01
Yes, but the extreme minority is in control of the Democrats.
The only difference being - the extreme minority in the Republican party is a little more acceptable to the general election voter than the extreme minority in the Democratic party - assuming we're speaking of the presidential election.

One can argue that the real leader of the Democratic Party is Hillary Clinton (and of course, Bill ). Do you consider her/him to be the extreme minority? One may not agree with the political philosophy that John Kerry adheres to; but, I don't believe one can reasonably argue that Kerry is of the extreme minority.

BTW: Would you consider Tom DeLay to be of the extreme minority?

Addendum: I sometimes find Nancy Pelosi to be rather obnoxious, and I certainly would have preferred someone else to be the leader of the Democratic Party in the House; but, I don't see her to be a member of the extreme minority.

Does the extreme minority in the Democratic Party have too much influence in the party - yes.

Some will argue that the extreme minority in the Republican Party has too much influence in the party.

Last edited by classicman2; 11-03-05 at 07:54 AM.
classicman2 is offline  
Old 11-03-05, 07:55 AM
  #23  
DVD Talk Hall of Fame
 
LiquidSky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Location: Pokey Dot Lounge, Nashville, TN
Posts: 9,169
Originally Posted by Shoveler
Seriously, do you defenders of this blatant racism believe the line you're selling, or are you just digging in your heels and refusing to budge? You are willing to sit back and tolerate vile, racist remarks from leaders and elected representatives who happen to be Democrats just because they are directed at a Republican?

Can you not see that they are attempting to maintain and enforce a racial stereotype? They are saying that black people vote and think like Democrats, therefore anyone who acts or thinks differently is not black. How is that any better than any other stereotype about African Americans (or any other race, for that matter)?

And you try to defend it by pointing out fringe behavior on the Republican/conservative side??? Give me a break! Republicans, as a whole, condemn the murder of abortion doctors. Please show me the mass of Democrats condemning this behavior.
I am not defending these actions in the least. For you to quote my original post that was in direct response to an idiotic statement and refer to me as a "defender" of this type of behavior is nonsense.

I do not sit back and tolerate racism. I think it is vile.

I am not so partisan that I am blinded to what is wrong. As I said, there are people on BOTH sides who are so blinded that they will follow anything that they perceive is on their "side" and I think it is disgusting.

Their behavior is horrible. It reminds me of when whites poured catsup on the heads of blacks while they were having sit-ins at the Woolworth's lunch counter back in the 1960s.

How am I "defending" these actions by pointing out that BOTH sides have over-zealous idiots? I believe Republicans/Conservatives do the exact same thing when fringe groups bomb abortion clinics, etc. Do I think ALL Republicans/Conservatives condone this type of behavior? Certainly not. So, perhaps you are the one who needs to give me a break.

Last edited by LiquidSky; 11-03-05 at 08:12 AM.
LiquidSky is offline  
Old 11-03-05, 08:21 AM
  #24  
DVD Talk Hall of Fame
 
Duran's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 1999
Location: Columbia, MD
Posts: 8,177
Originally Posted by natesfortune
Ah, the "party of peace" strikes again.
I must have missed the part of this where Democrats advocated war.

I'm not a Democrat nor am I liberal, and I think this behavior is disgusting. There is a serious issue that could be debated - Steele defending Ehrlich's decision to have a fundraiser at an all-white club (what the hell was Ehrlich thinking?). Serious debate does not involve calling someone "Uncle Tom" or throwing Oreo cookies at them.
Duran is offline  
Old 11-03-05, 08:44 AM
  #25  
DVD Talk God
 
Join Date: Feb 2000
Location: Directionally Challenged (for DirecTV)
Posts: 122,482
Originally Posted by Duran
Serious debate does not involve calling someone "Uncle Tom" or throwing Oreo cookies at them.


Well, maybe Double Stuffs.
Red Dog is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.