Religion, Politics and World Events They make great dinner conversation, don't you think? plus Political Film

Coalition troops find chemical production plant in northern Iraq.

Old 08-13-05, 12:11 PM
  #1  
Banned
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: So. Illinois
Posts: 3,019
Coalition troops find chemical production plant in northern Iraq.

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,165635,00.html

U.S. Raids Alleged Chemical Plant
Saturday, August 13, 2005

BAGHDAD, Iraq U.S. forces raided an insurgent facility that may have been producing an unspecified type of chemicals, the U.S. military said Saturday. It was unclear what was being produced or whether the materials were intended for weapons, the statement added.

U.S. troops, acting on a tip from detainees under interrogation, raided a "suspected insurgent chemical production facility (search)" in northern Iraq last Tuesday, the statement said, without specifying the location.

However, the military cautioned that ongoing testing at the facility was "insufficient to determine what the insurgents had been producing." The military said it also was investigating which insurgent group was operating the facility.

The military has found many suspected chemical sites in the past, none of which ended up containing chemical or biological weapons. Testing of such sites can take several days.

One of the main reasons stated for the U.S.-led invasion of Iraq (search) in March 2003 was to destroy Saddam Hussein's purported weapons of mass destruction. None were ever found.

The statement said officials were examining chemical evidence, but did not say if chemicals were stored at the facility.

"We are continuing to investigate the production and storage facilities to determine what type and quantities of chemicals were produced at the facility," said Col. Henry Franke (search), a nuclear, biological, and chemical defense officer with the multinational force.
But...but...I thought there were no chemical or biological weapons in Iraq.

Boy, what giving something a little bit of time might turn up.
Mike Lowrey is offline  
Old 08-13-05, 12:32 PM
  #2  
DVD Talk Ruler
 
General Zod's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: Santa Clarita, CA
Posts: 21,312
If it's there it's because Bush put it there. Saddam and Iraq were never up to anything - pure as the driven snow. We went in purely for oil, which we have taken none of.

Actually lots of "somethings" have come up but are quickly ignored by our excellent media which really wants to portray this a certain way.. remember a couple of years ago the U.N. said that tons of material used to make chemical weapons were found missing in Iraq? It had been previously tagged and now it's gone! Well the media was very quick to say we should have been protecting it, but said nothing about the fact that it was there to begin with. Go figure.
General Zod is offline  
Old 08-13-05, 12:36 PM
  #3  
Banned
 
Join Date: Jan 2000
Location: Democratik People's Republik of Kalifornia
Posts: 22,995
No. This is wrong. Bush and his cronnies planted it.
Myster X is offline  
Old 08-13-05, 12:44 PM
  #4  
Banned
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: So. Illinois
Posts: 3,019
Originally Posted by General Zod
If it's there it's because Bush put it there. Saddam and Iraq were never up to anything - pure as the driven snow. We went in purely for oil, which we have taken none of.

Actually lots of "somethings" have come up but are quickly ignored by our excellent media which really wants to portray this a certain way.. remember a couple of years ago the U.N. said that tons of material used to make chemical weapons were found missing in Iraq? It had been previously tagged and now it's gone! Well the media was very quick to say we should have been protecting it, but said nothing about the fact that it was there to begin with. Go figure.
Tell me about it. What about the chemical-filled shells that the UNSCOM teams found prior to the invasion? Oh, they were just old shells that Saddam forgot about...yeah right...


It breaks down like this gentlemen, for one to believe that Saddam got rid of his WMD between 1998 and March 2003, one would have have to believe that after the UNMOVIC teams left in late '98, Saddam would have said, "Well, they didn't find them all before they left, but I guess I'll get rid of them now because I'm such a nice guy and I wouldn't want the Great Satan invading my ass again." Saddam was just waiting for the day until sanctions were lifted and the weight of the International "eye" was off him in order to restart his programs. Hell, if Iran is and has been building nuke plants, don't you think Saddam would have want to as well?
Mike Lowrey is offline  
Old 08-13-05, 12:44 PM
  #5  
DVD Talk Hall of Fame
 
Lateralus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: Valley of Megiddo
Posts: 9,569
When I see piles of chemicles, I will believe it until then I don't think there is going to be anything.
Lateralus is offline  
Old 08-13-05, 12:48 PM
  #6  
Admin-Thanos
 
VinVega's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: Caught between the moon and NYC
Posts: 31,300
Even if they find something, how do you know it was set up by Saddam and not smuggled in across the porous borders since the invasion? It's been over 2 years.
VinVega is offline  
Old 08-13-05, 12:54 PM
  #7  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Posts: 20,695
Re: Coalition troops find chemical production plant in northern Iraq.

Uh-huh.
Ranger is offline  
Old 08-13-05, 01:27 PM
  #8  
DVD Talk God
 
Join Date: Jun 1999
Posts: 68,522
Originally Posted by VinVega
Even if they find something, how do you know it was set up by Saddam and not smuggled in across the porous borders since the invasion? It's been over 2 years.
You're beginning to sound like - you know who - the believer in conspiracies in everything.
classicman2 is offline  
Old 08-13-05, 01:49 PM
  #9  
DVD Talk Godfather
 
DVD Polizei's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Posts: 52,218
Bush: "This is evidence we MUST STAY IN IRAQ. WE MUST STAY THE COURSE!!!!1111!!!!"

Boy, what giving something a little bit of time might turn up.
Yeah, because hell, 10 years from now, and 15,000 US troops dead, we might find an actual missile.

Btw, several sites have been deemed "Booga Booga Chemical Weapons", which ended up being, well, not.

I noticed this part wasn't bolded:

The military has found many suspected chemical sites in the past, none of which ended up containing chemical or biological weapons. Testing of such sites can take several days.

Also remember that initial readings favor any barrel or container to be possible chemical weapons. This is so US Troops are protected until a more thorough test is in place.

Anyway, just thought I would chime in with my conspiracy theory...
DVD Polizei is offline  
Old 08-13-05, 02:34 PM
  #10  
Banned
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Posts: 969
Originally Posted by Mike Lowrey
Tell me about it. What about the chemical-filled shells that the UNSCOM teams found prior to the invasion? Oh, they were just old shells that Saddam forgot about...yeah right...
Do republicans and pro-war people really just have their heads in the sand and zero concept of reality? Those shells were proven to be from before the first gulf war, even The U.S. admited it.

It's funny, well sad actually that people so blindly believe in all the lies, oh i am sorry "misinfomation" about the WMDs.

Oh wait, maybe this is where they stored the thousands of tons of VX, drums of anthrax, the 30,000 armed warheads, and the missles that are armed with chemical and bological warheads that can be launched within 45 minutes....
cinten is offline  
Old 08-13-05, 03:07 PM
  #11  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: The Netherlands
Posts: 970
You invade a country because you believe there are chemical weapons, after you've invaded the country you find out there aren't, but after the invasion insurgents start producing them because you've invaded?
Mark_vdH is offline  
Old 08-13-05, 04:20 PM
  #12  
Moderator
 
Join Date: May 2000
Location: In mourning
Posts: 26,241
Originally Posted by Mark_vdH
You invade a country because you believe there are chemical weapons, after you've invaded the country you find out there aren't, but after the invasion insurgents start producing them because you've invaded?


So a regime acknowledged by all to be bent on possessing the ability to produce weapons of mass destruction and fueled in that effort by millions and millions of dollars made off the backs of the Iraqi people, (and the UN), not to mention the relative peace and isolation afforded by the expulsion of any and all weapons inspectors, could not produce chemical weapons, but a ragtag motley collection of foreign jihadists can and have?



As for the story at hand, I will reserve judgement until there is far more information.
Pharoh is offline  
Old 08-13-05, 05:13 PM
  #13  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: The Netherlands
Posts: 970
Originally Posted by Pharoh
So a regime acknowledged by all to be bent on possessing the ability to produce weapons of mass destruction and fueled in that effort by millions and millions of dollars made off the backs of the Iraqi people, (and the UN), not to mention the relative peace and isolation afforded by the expulsion of any and all weapons inspectors, could not produce chemical weapons, but a ragtag motley collection of foreign jihadists can and have?
Who says Iraq couldn't make chemical weapons? Sierra freakin' Leone could make them if they wanted to.
Mark_vdH is offline  
Old 08-13-05, 05:33 PM
  #14  
DVD Talk Legend
 
chess's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2000
Location: San Antonio
Posts: 20,804


Are you serious? The story reads as one big disclaimer. "They found something that looks like a chemical plant...not necessarily a chemical weapons plant...well, not really a plant at all...more of a lab...actually it might be nothing at all...it's usually nothing...probably nothing this time too." The "story" looks like it was written by the fox news lawyers with the sole purpose of convincing illiterates that Bush was right all along (but probably not...your mileage may vary).

Actually, my experience thus far is that these people are likely too lazy to make chemical weapons. We can't even get them to bathe in order to avoid infecting their wounds.
chess is offline  
Old 08-13-05, 07:18 PM
  #15  
Banned
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: So. Illinois
Posts: 3,019
It's so sad really, how quickly the anti-war, anti-Bushites jump on anything to discredit any possibility that the President might, just might, have been right.

You people are just as pathetic as the ones that you claim to hate so much.

Although, I still don't see a decent rebuttle to what I said about Saddam's behavior from 1998 to 2003. Until you can explain why Saddam, who made and used WMD in the past, would suddenly give up all intentions of making and maintaining them after the inspection teams left in 1998, then none of your little anti-Bush conspiracies will hold water with me and the other Iraq war supporters.
Mike Lowrey is offline  
Old 08-13-05, 07:27 PM
  #16  
Moderator
 
nemein's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 1999
Location: 1bit away from total disaster
Posts: 34,133
It's so sad really, how quickly the anti-war, anti-Bushites jump on anything to discredit any possibility that the President might, just might, have been right.
I agree w/ your opinion of SH and his past actions, however I think you're reading too much into this story at the moment. Assuming it is even a chemical weapons plant depending upon the size and sophisitication it is entirely possible it came into being after the war started.
nemein is offline  
Old 08-13-05, 07:43 PM
  #17  
DVD Talk God
 
Join Date: Feb 2000
Location: Directionally Challenged (for DirecTV)
Posts: 122,689
I'm disappointed in our right-wing otters. Where are the "I need more proof" posts?
Red Dog is offline  
Old 08-13-05, 08:07 PM
  #18  
Banned
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Posts: 969
Originally Posted by Mike Lowrey
It's so sad really, how quickly the anti-war, anti-Bushites jump on anything to discredit any possibility that the President might, just might, have been right.

You people are just as pathetic as the ones that you claim to hate so much.

Although, I still don't see a decent rebuttle to what I said about Saddam's behavior from 1998 to 2003. Until you can explain why Saddam, who made and used WMD in the past, would suddenly give up all intentions of making and maintaining them after the inspection teams left in 1998, then none of your little anti-Bush conspiracies will hold water with me and the other Iraq war supporters.
I don't hate anyone.. I know nothing anti-war people can say to change bush supporters minds. They "stay the course" just like Bush, even if it's the wrong course. Even if "staying the course" causes more death and destruction. Bush is sitting on the titanic saying it will keep float and Bush supporters are right there cheering him on.

Crying about anti-bush conspiricies shows how desperate bush-supporters are to hold on to that shread of hope that Bush was even remotly right about anything.

So you still think that Iraq was involved in 9/11? Do you still think that the thousands of tons of vx, bio and chem weapons are out there and not a single trace? Do you still think Iraq will welcome us as liberators? Do you still think that Iraq will finance it's own reconstruction?


So what was Bush right about?
cinten is offline  
Old 08-13-05, 08:44 PM
  #19  
DVD Talk Legend
 
chess's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2000
Location: San Antonio
Posts: 20,804
Originally Posted by cinten
So what was Bush right about?
uhhhh.....give me a minute.
chess is offline  
Old 08-13-05, 09:53 PM
  #20  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Location: Lower Gum Curve
Posts: 19,003
Originally Posted by Mike Lowrey
It's so sad really, how quickly the anti-war, anti-Bushites jump on anything to discredit any possibility that the President might, just might, have been right.

You people are just as pathetic as the ones that you claim to hate so much.

Although, I still don't see a decent rebuttle to what I said about Saddam's behavior from 1998 to 2003. Until you can explain why Saddam, who made and used WMD in the past, would suddenly give up all intentions of making and maintaining them after the inspection teams left in 1998, then none of your little anti-Bush conspiracies will hold water with me and the other Iraq war supporters.
Yes, we're all pathetic because we don't bend over and let fox news ram an unjust war up our assholes. Sheeh.
Jason is offline  
Old 08-13-05, 10:21 PM
  #21  
Moderator
 
Groucho's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2000
Location: Salt Lake City, Utah
Posts: 70,714
Originally Posted by Mike Lowrey
It's so sad really, how quickly the anti-war, anti-Bushites jump on anything to discredit any possibility that the President might, just might, have been right.
What's there to discredit? At this point, all the story tells us is "unspecified type of chemicals". There's not enough information for either side to be back-slapping and giving "I told you sos".

Last edited by Groucho; 08-13-05 at 10:28 PM.
Groucho is offline  
Old 08-13-05, 10:31 PM
  #22  
Moderator
 
Join Date: May 2000
Location: In mourning
Posts: 26,241
Originally Posted by Mark_vdH
Who says Iraq couldn't make chemical weapons? Sierra freakin' Leone could make them if they wanted to.


They, and every other nation, could make mass quantities of chemical weapons of mass destruction? I did not know that, and I bet that a great many other people would also be very surprised by this.

I also sometimes forget that saddam simply did not make any WMDs simply out of the goodness of his noble heart, or because he was fearful of the repercussions, whichever it was.

The larger point is: I have no idea if what was found is chemical weapons. However, I do know with a good degree of certainty that it they turn out to be, they were not manufactured by bunch of nomadic jihadist terrorist scum.
Pharoh is offline  
Old 08-13-05, 11:53 PM
  #23  
DVD Talk Hero
 
JasonF's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Washington, DC
Posts: 39,310
Originally Posted by Red Dog
I'm disappointed in our right-wing otters. Where are the "I need more proof" posts?


I liked how the first post in the thread said, basically "Give the weapons inspectors more time."
JasonF is offline  
Old 08-14-05, 12:00 AM
  #24  
DVD Talk God
 
kvrdave's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Location: Pacific NW
Posts: 86,201
Originally Posted by Red Dog
I'm disappointed in our right-wing otters. Where are the "I need more proof" posts?

DAMMIT!!!!! I've been in Vegas, but that was my first thought when I saw the title.
kvrdave is offline  
Old 08-14-05, 12:11 AM
  #25  
DVD Talk Hero
 
Th0r S1mpson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 1999
Location: Seattle, WA
Posts: 36,443
Um...the fact that this is called a "suspected insurgent chemical production facility" led me to believe this had nothing to do with any pre-war WMD's that Saddam might have had. Sounds like a shack with some chemicals in it... maybe a meth lab.

If insurgents werent' working on some of this stuff in the past 2 years, I'd be more suprised than I am finding out about this now.
Th0r S1mpson is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.