Religion, Politics and World Events They make great dinner conversation, don't you think? plus Political Film

New Study Ranks America's Most Liberal and Conservative Cities

Old 08-11-05, 06:31 PM
X
Administrator

New Study Ranks America's Most Liberal and Conservative Cities

Overall, the SF Bay Area is #1. Big surprise.

NEW STUDY RANKS AMERICA’S MOST LIBERAL AND CONSERVATIVE CITIES

Detroit tops liberal list; Provo, UT most conservative

BERKELEY, CA – A new nationwide study released today by the nonpartisan Bay Area Center for Voting Research (BACVR) ranks the political leanings of every American city and finds that Detroit, Michigan is the most liberal and Provo, Utah the most conservative.

In all, the BACVR researchers examined voting patterns of 237 American cities with populations of over 100,000 and ranked them each on liberal and conservative scales.

The list of America’s most liberal cities is dominated by cities with large African American populations that are concentrated in the Northeast, Midwest and California. Conversely, the study found that the staunchest conservative cities are clustered in the South and interior West and have extremely low numbers of African American residents.

“Detroit and Provo epitomize America’s political, economic and racial polarization,” said Jason Alderman a BACVR director. “As the most conservative city in America, Provo is overwhelmingly white and solidly middle class. This is in stark contrast to Detroit, which is impoverished, black and the most liberal.”

Gary, Indiana, a rust belt former steel town, comes in as America’s second most liberal city, followed by Berkeley, California, which ranks third. Washington, D.C. comes in as the fourth most liberal and Oakland, California comes in fifth.

On the list of the nation’s most conservative cities, Texas cements its reputation as America’s most rock-ribbed state, having three cities in the top five. Lubbock and Abilene, Texas rank as the second and third most conservative cities, respectively, followed by Hialeah, Florida in fourth place and Plano, Texas in fifth.

BACVR researchers found a direct correlation between a city’s political ideology and its racial makeup. “The great political divide in America today is not red vs. blue, north vs. south, costal vs. interior or even rich vs. poor – it is now clearly black vs. white,” said Phil Reiff, a BACVR director.

“While there are a few liberal cities without large African American populations, these wind up being the exceptions. College towns like Berkeley and Cambridge have modest black populations but remain bastions of upper middle-class, white, intellectual liberalism. These liberal white communities, however, are more reminiscent of penguins clustering together around a shrinking iceberg than of a vibrant and growing political movement,” Reiff said.

The Bay Area Center for Voting Research is a nonpartisan think tank based in Berkeley, California. A full copy of the report and the complete list of rankings for all 237 cities are available at www.votingresearch.org.

Code:
America’s 25 Most Liberal Cities
(in descending order) 
Rank	City  State
1	Detroit Michigan 
2	Gary Indiana 
3	Berkeley California 
4	Washington, D.C. Dist. of Columbia
5	Oakland California 
6	Inglewood California 
7	Newark New Jersey 
8	Cambridge Massachusetts 
9	San Francisco California 
10	Flint Michigan 
11	Cleveland Ohio 
12	Hartford Connecticut 
13	Paterson New Jersey 
14	Baltimore Maryland 
15	New Haven Connecticut 
16	Seattle Washington 
17	Chicago Illinois 
18	Philadelphia Pennsylvania 
19	Birmingham Alabama 
20	St. Louis Missouri 
21	New York New York 
22	Providence Rhode Island 
23	Minneapolis Minnesota 
24	Boston Massachusetts 
25	Buffalo New York 

America’s 25 Most Conservative Cities
(in descending order) 
Rank	City  State
1	Provo Utah 
2	Lubbock Texas 
3	Abilene Texas 
4	Hialeah Florida 
5	Plano Texas 
6	Colorado Springs Colorado 
7	Gilbert Arizona 
8	Bakersfield California 
9	Lafayette Louisiana 
10	Orange California 
11	Escondido California 
12	Allentown Pennsylvania 
13	Mesa Arizona 
14	Arlington Texas 
15	Peoria Arizona 
16	Cape Coral Florida 
17	Garden Grove California 
18	Simi Valley California 
19	Corona California 
20	Clearwater Florida 
21	West Valley City Utah 
22	Oklahoma City Oklahoma 
23	Overland Park Kansas 
24	Anchorage Alaska 
25	Huntington Beach California
NEW STUDY FINDS BAY AREA MOST LIBERAL REGION IN AMERICA

Three Bay Area Cities on National Top Ten Most Liberal List; Berkeley Ranks #3, Oakland #5 and S.F. #9

BERKELEY, CA – The Bay Area was officially declared America’s most liberal region today in a new report release by the nonpartisan Bay Area Center for Voting Research (BACVR). The Berkeley-based think tank conducted a nationwide ranking of the political leanings of every American city.

In all, the BACVR researchers examined voting patterns of 237 American cities with populations of over 100,000 and ranked them each on liberal and conservative scales.

With three cities in the top ten liberal list – Berkeley, Oakland and San Francisco – no other region comes close to matching the Bay Area’s progressive prowess.

Berkeley is California’s most liberal city and ranks as the third most liberal city nationwide. Oakland pulls in as America’s fourth most liberal, followed by San Francisco coming in ninth. San Jose, the region’s largest city, is also one of the more conservative, and places a distant 74th on the liberal city list.

“We’ve all known it for years, but this makes it official – the Bay Area is the most liberal region in America,” said Jason Alderman, a BACVR director. “The Bay Area is America’s liberal mecca, drawing progressives from throughout the nation and creating a self-selecting, left-wing vortex,” said Alderman.

The Bay Area’s other major cities also rank high up on the national liberal scale. Rounding out the major Bay Area cities on the liberal list are: Daly City 30, Hayward 33, Vallejo 41, Santa Rosa 57, Sunnyvale 62 and Fremont 64. Even Concord, the most conservative major city in the Bay Area, comes in at 79 on the national liberal list, making it still more liberal than cites such as Austin, Tacoma, Miami and Las Vegas.

Home to the University of California, Berkeley continues to maintain its reputation as a hotbed of left-wing activism. San Francisco has long been called the most liberal city in the country, however BACVR research now shatters this myth. Oakland, long in the shadow of San Francisco, emerges with a surprising showing, ranking as more liberal than its larger neighbor across the Bay.
Old 08-11-05, 08:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I am suprised Austin did not make the Liberal list.
Old 08-11-05, 09:13 PM
DVD Talk Hero

So basically what you are telling me is that St. Louis has a quite a few black people?

You don't say!

Old 08-11-05, 10:31 PM
DVD Talk Hero

There are 15 cities <i>more</i> liberal than this tree-huggin' caffinated meth swamp I'm living in?
Old 08-11-05, 10:42 PM
DVD Talk God

Those conservative cities are barely cities if you ask me.
Old 08-11-05, 10:56 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by Thor Simpson
There are 15 cities <i>more</i> liberal than this tree-huggin' caffinated meth swamp I'm living in?
I know. Weird, isn't it. Actually, I think Oregon is just overlooked for anything these days.
Old 08-11-05, 11:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Red Dog
Those conservative cities are barely cities if you ask me.
Yeah, I agree. According to Wiki, Lafayette, Louisiana only has a population of 110,000. Plus, the city's really deep into the swamp. Even I wouldn't go there!
Old 08-12-05, 01:20 AM
Banned

I'm surprised Frisko ranked 9th. May it's due to the so-so conservative Democrat mayor we have.
Old 08-12-05, 01:40 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Detroit is not only one of the most liberal cities, but one of the most dangerous and violent in the country.
Old 08-12-05, 03:16 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by natevines
Detroit is not only one of the most liberal cities, but one of the most dangerous and violent in the country.
Provo is not only one of the most conservative cities, but one of the most boring and homogenously white in the country.
Old 08-12-05, 04:10 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Bartertown due to it having a better economy than where I really live, Buffalo NY
buffalo doesn't surprise me
Old 08-12-05, 04:10 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Bartertown due to it having a better economy than where I really live, Buffalo NY
Originally Posted by natevines
as are gary indiana and washington dc
Old 08-12-05, 06:51 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

So what's the inference you're trying to make? Liberals are violent, or just blacks?
Old 08-12-05, 07:06 AM
Admin-Thanos

Interestingly enough, one of the bluest states, California, also has quite a number of cities on the Conservative list. Those poor small cities can't compete with the Liberal Meccas in the state though, so the state continues to go blue year after year.
Old 08-12-05, 08:53 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

"The list of America’s most liberal cities is dominated by cities with large African American populations that are concentrated in the Northeast, Midwest and California. Conversely, the study found that the staunchest conservative cities are clustered in the South and interior West and have extremely low numbers of African American residents."
Surely you jest.
Old 08-12-05, 09:01 AM

Originally Posted by hahn
Provo is not only one of the most conservative cities, but one of the most boring and homogenously white in the country.
Boring? I won't hear of it, sir! Provo has the largest number of buffet restaurants per capita of any city in the country!

I've often said that if one wants to know what this country would be like under a Mormon theocracy, you need only visit Provo.
Old 08-12-05, 09:12 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Nice going, People's Republic of Dallas.

The home of America's Team and the Texas School Book Depository is, by a long shot, Texas' liberal bastion, according to the Bay Area Center for Voting Research.

The nonprofit think tank based in Berkeley, Calif., (a town that knows liberals when it sees them) ranked 237 U.S. cities on the liberal-to-conservative spectrum, based on results from the 2004 presidential election.

The group named Austin the 93rd most liberal city in the land, just slightly bluer on the electoral map than Virginia Beach and Salt Lake City.

Dallas was 32nd, two slots more liberal than Madison, Wis.

The study found that cities with large black populations tended to turn out for liberal candidates. Austin has a relatively small black population.

The rankings threaten to obliterate a tradition of snide remarks about the capital city from less-liberal burgs such as Plano (fifth most conservative U.S. city, the study says), Abilene (third most conservative) and Lubbock (No. 2, trailing/leading only Provo, Utah).

Thus, the report was immediately dismissed by everyone.

"I would find it hard to believe that Austin is not in the top 25 or 30 liberal cities," Travis County Republican Party Chairman Alan Sager said, not particularly complimentarily.

Concurred Mark Nathan, a Democratic political consultant: "I think someone in Berkeley may be one toke over the line."
Old 08-12-05, 09:22 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by BigDaddy
Concurred Mark Nathan, a Democratic political consultant: "I think someone in Berkeley may be one toke over the line."
Old 08-12-05, 09:35 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by VinVega
Interestingly enough, one of the bluest states, California, also has quite a number of cities on the Conservative list. Those poor small cities can't compete with the Liberal Meccas in the state though, so the state continues to go blue year after year.
Orange County is well known as a conservative county.
Old 08-12-05, 09:37 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by DodgingCars
Orange County is well known as a conservative county.
Until it is renamed Orange City, I don't think it pertains to this discussion.

Old 08-12-05, 09:41 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by B.A.
Until it is renamed Orange City, I don't think it pertains to this discussion.

However, my point:
Orange California
Garden Grove California
Huntington Beach California

All in Orange Co.
Old 08-12-05, 12:40 PM
DVD Talk God

DC is frequently listed as one of the most violent cities (as mikehunt did above). What isn't mentioned is that most of the violence takes place in the poorer neighborhoods, neighborhoods where I am unlikely to ever set foot in. Therefore, in a desirability contest btwn Provo and DC, it is DC, no contest.
Old 08-12-05, 12:56 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Red Dog
DC is frequently listed as one of the most violent cities (as mikehunt did above). What isn't mentioned is that most of the violence takes place in the poorer neighborhoods, neighborhoods where I am unlikely to ever set foot in. Therefore, in a desirability contest btwn Provo and DC, it is DC, no contest.
Two reasons.

1) It's not exactly true. While the worst crime does take place in the poorest neighborhoods, this is the case for all cities and D.C. has a pretty bad comparative crime rate even outside these areas.

2) They're not thinking of where Red Dog might visit. They're just compiling crime statistics city-wide.
Old 08-12-05, 12:57 PM
DVD Talk God

What isn't mentioned is that most of the violence takes place in the poorer neighborhoods, neighborhoods where I am unlikely to ever set foot in.
That's true of every big city, isn't it?

BTW: Have you ever been to Provo?
Old 08-12-05, 01:24 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by Goldblum
Two reasons.

1) It's not exactly true. While the worst crime does take place in the poorest neighborhoods, this is the case for all cities and D.C. has a pretty bad comparative crime rate even outside these areas.

Right, which is why I take these city crime statistics with a grain of salt. Doing it by zip code woud be far more informative. I have no idea whether DC has a pretty bad comparative crime rate outside the poor neighboorhoods. All I know is that I feel quite safe whether I am on the Hill, K-street, Georgetown or Adams Morgan.

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.