Religion, Politics and World Events They make great dinner conversation, don't you think? plus Political Film

New Study Ranks America's Most Liberal and Conservative Cities

Old 08-12-05, 03:12 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by classicman2
It's an essential point for the religious conservatives though.

If the religious conservatives stay at home, the Repubs lose - especially in the presidential contest.
Another good reason to be a Democrat. The religious Democrats don't give a rats ass about someone else's religion or morality.
Old 08-12-05, 03:14 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Rockmjd23
Nope, you don't have to be a Jesus freak to be conservative. Just like you don't have to be a pot-smoking pinko to be a liberal.
But pot-smoking pinkos aren't a base of voters that the Dems cowtow too. The GOP gets a reach-around from the religious right.
Old 08-12-05, 03:17 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by CRM114
Another good reason to be a Democrat. The religious Democrats don't give a rats ass about someone else's religion or morality.
I certainly wouldn't go that far.

There's 1/3 of the people who are Democrats, and I will argue that 1/3 care very much about another individual's morality.
Old 08-12-05, 03:18 PM
X
Administrator

Originally Posted by Red Dog
I'd say it is, otherwise, you are just a fiscal conservative (or a classical liberal ).

If someone says they are a conservative without further elaboration, I take that to mean that they are both a fiscal conservative and social conservative.
Social conservatism can mean keeping the federal government out of personal behavior issues and local attitudes toward that behavior.

I think the morality issues are not as simple as they may seem because they get into the area of personal behavior versus government condoning of particular behaviors.
Old 08-12-05, 03:20 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by X
Social conservativism can mean keeping the federal government out of personal behavior issues and local attitudes toward that behavior.

That may be your defintion of social conservatism but it isn't mine and I don't think that is how most people would define it.

You're trying to inject some kind of state's rights mentality into social conservatism.

Last edited by Red Dog; 08-12-05 at 03:23 PM.
Old 08-12-05, 03:21 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by natevines
Detroit is not only one of the most liberal cities, but one of the most dangerous and violent in the country.
Originally Posted by mikehunt
as are gary indiana and washington dc
Its nice to know the liberals are looking out for the brotha's.
Old 08-12-05, 03:27 PM

I enjoy freedom too much.
As a conservative, so do I. However, I recognize the threat against that as coming from the left and not the right.
Old 08-12-05, 03:28 PM
X
Administrator

That may be your defintion of social conservatism but it isn't mine and I don't think that is how most people would define it.
I didn't say that was my definition, just one of the reasons residents could vote for conservative government and thus be considered a conservative city.

If people vote conservative on fiscal and security issues their city is going to look conservative to this study. I doubt the correlation of liberal cities and black populations shown in this study means blacks care less about morality.
Old 08-12-05, 03:45 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

If someone says they are a conservative without further elaboration, I take that to mean that they are both a fiscal conservative and social conservative.
Which is why I would not call myself conservative, although I most certainly am a fiscal conservative.

And based on the current administration, I'd say the morality part is much more important to them then the fiscal part.
Old 08-12-05, 04:19 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Madison, WI ("77 square miles surrounded by reality")
Nah, I don't want to be associated with the so-called "morailty" voter in any way. I enjoy freedom too much.
Originally Posted by Geofferson
As a conservative, so do I. However, I recognize the threat against that as coming from the left and not the right.
Both of your sides scare the hell out of me.
Old 08-13-05, 12:58 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I got stuck in Provo for 2 weeks and it was, by far, the worst place that I've ever visited in my entire life.

I was only 20 and that had a lot to do with it probably. I was naive and knew very little about Mormons or that a college town could possibly not have a single bar.

The Mountains were beautiful and I've heard Salt Lake City is nice, but I would never go back to Provo. The most exciting thing I got to do was order in pizza.

I would go to the Joe in downtown Detroit and have a blast at a Wings games, but it was less fun trying to get back to the car safely.

But I'd prefer dodging bullets and dead fish on the river to Boblo, than spending 5 minutes listening to the grass grow in Provo.
Old 08-13-05, 09:40 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Madison, WI ("77 square miles surrounded by reality")
Originally Posted by DodgingCars
Orange County is well known as a conservative county.
Also home to the Orange County Register, the most libertarian major daily newspaper in America.
Old 08-13-05, 10:16 AM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by dolphinboy
I got stuck in Provo for 2 weeks and it was, by far, the worst place that I've ever visited in my entire life.

I was only 20 and that had a lot to do with it probably. I was naive and knew very little about Mormons or that a college town could possibly not have a single bar.

The Mountains were beautiful and I've heard Salt Lake City is nice, but I would never go back to Provo. The most exciting thing I got to do was order in pizza.
I hear ya, dude.

While I didn't get stuck in Provo, I was stuck in Utah for 3 days once. A friend and I were going to drive around the country and hit 20 baseball parks in a month right after we graduated college in 1993. 2 weeks in, we had just hit Mile High Stadium and were heading out to the Stick in San Fran. We were westbound on I-80 about 20 miles west of SLC when a guy coming the other way had a heart attack at wheel, came all the way across the median and clipped our car (left rear). We were okay (car was totalled though) but he flipped over several times and was killed.

Anyhow, we were stuck in Toole, Utah for 3 days while we waited for the insurance company to sort things out and pay for us to fly back to Baltimore. There was nothing to do and nothing to drink out there. The highlight (along with ordering pizza) was watching Lee Janzen win the US Open on the 20 inch TV in the hotel room.

Utah - pretty view of the Rockies. Nothing else.
Old 08-13-05, 10:35 AM

Yes, let's judge all of Utah based on Tooele.
Old 08-13-05, 10:38 AM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by Groucho
Yes, let's judge all of Utah based on Tooele.

Well I've been to SLC too. That's ain't no Shangra La either.
Old 08-13-05, 10:38 AM
DVD Talk God

The highlight (along with ordering pizza) was watching Lee Janzen win the US Open on the 20 inch TV in the hotel room.
Did you see me in the crowd? I was there.
Old 08-13-05, 10:44 AM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by classicman2
Did you see me in the crowd? I was there.

Well I usually drink while watching sports so under normal circumstances it might have been hard. Not while watching in Utah though.
Old 08-13-05, 10:47 AM

That's funny, since you can get a drink easily in Tooele. In fact, I think it has more bars per capita than any other place in Utah. There are no dry counties here, unlike places back east.
Old 08-13-05, 10:55 AM
DVD Talk God

Amarillo, Texas was divided by 2 counties - one wet - one dry.

In the wet one (Potter) - they had dry precints. I lived in a dry precinct. Just across the street was a wet precinct.

I don't have a clue as to what that has to do with the thread, but I thought I'd throw it in anyway.
Old 08-13-05, 11:01 AM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by Groucho
That's funny, since you can get a drink easily in Tooele. In fact, I think it has more bars per capita than any other place in Utah. There are no dry counties here, unlike places back east.

This is a relative kind of 'easy' correct?
Old 08-13-05, 12:17 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by hahn
Provo is not only one of the most conservative cities, but one of the most boring and homogenously white in the country.
<s>Which would account for the probable low crime rate. Touche, a-hole.</s>
Old 08-13-05, 12:26 PM
Banned

Which is the problem. It's called moral relativism. If something you feel is wrong according to your religious beliefs, it should be wrong no matter what religion or lack thereof of someone else.

I'm talking Judeo-Christian religions here...not Islam, Hindu, or Buddhist. If say abortion is considered immoral and wrong within the Catholic faith, it should be considered wrong in all Christian religions. Murder is murder in Western Civilization.

I don't get this idea that one can say, "Well, I believe it's wrong, but I don't care, or feel I should push my views on someone else." Well, is that not the whole concept of laws? That a group of elected people get to push their views on the rest of us? In Judeo-Christian based law systems such as US law, it is very illegal to commit murder. This doesn't give the right of some, say an atheist to say, "Nope, I don't believe murder is wrong, so I'm not bound by those laws."
Old 08-13-05, 12:37 PM
Banned

What does their checkbook have to do with it? I consider myself liberal and carefully control my own checkbook. I just don't have hangups about moral values. Since Dems seems to be more fiscally conservative at this point and Dems are much more tolerant of people's persnal lives, I'm voting the right way.
But Dems aren't very tolerant of people's viewpoints. ie. religion. Dems are only tolerant of people who think like them, and very intolerant to those who don't. Ask Harry Bellafonte on what he thinks of conservative black people. Some of the most vile and mean-spirited garbage I've ever heard, coming out of that peice of trash's mouth.

Other examples include, Judge Clarence Thomas, Collin Powel, Condi Rice, JC Watts.

Howard Dean is another very intolerant scumbag. When he calls Republicans dark, mean, dishonest, evil, white, Christian, etc...where's the tolerance in that. That's pure unadulterate hate.

This is why I have voted GOP since after 9/11. 9/11 brought out the worst in the Democratic Party. It had nothing to do with what the GOP did. It was rejection to what the Dems had turned into. Something I saw as very UGLY. You've seen those bumber stickers that say, "Mean people suck."? That fits about every Democratic leader right now.
Old 08-13-05, 12:40 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Inglewood CA?

I don't know what to say.

Well I did notice a lot of the liberal cities were esentially Ghettos.
Old 08-13-05, 10:13 PM
Mod Emeritus

Originally Posted by Mike Lowrey
Which would account for the probable low crime rate. Touche, a-hole.

Mike, you really need to learn to control how you address other members. Due to your posting history, you can expect administrative action for this personal attack.

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.